Why The Jets Could Never Get A QB Like Andrew Luck

SoFlaJets

This is what this Jets fan wants to see happen, draft a QB every year-EVERY year. The problem with Tannenbaum is we try every 3 years or so and say "SEE!! we can't get a franchise guy, let's get Rex that big hybrid DE/LBer that he wants"

Who have we drafted at that position? Let's see:

2013-Geno Smith 2nd Rd

2012-nobody

2011 7th rounder Greg McElroy,

2010-no one

2009 Sanchez 1st round

2008 Erik Ainge 5th round

2007-none

2006-Clemens in the 2nd

2005-none 

2004-none

2003 Brooks Bollinger 6th round

2002-none

2001-none

2000-Chad Pennington

This is the Jets under this ownership. So every 7 years the team takes a chance on a franchise QB in the 1st round and 2 second rounders, which means every 3 years it makes a real attempt at drafting a franchise QB...it's not good enough when the best you've drafted is Chad Pennington

11 times they have spent their 1st round picks on DE/LBer guys and CBs to so-so results

Oh my god, that is horrible. Worst post I have ever read. A post like this could drive a guy to drink.

Please, can we get a moderator to delete this awful post.

Thats pathetic.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 times they have spent their 1st round picks on DE/LBer guys and CBs to so-so results

In their defense, three first round DL are all in the starting lineup, and two first round CBs either start or play the nickel. You aren't going to get that kind of production taking a QB in the first round every year.

They spent a second rounder on a QB who seemed to improve towards the end of the season with little to work with on offense. I suspect you'll be disappointed when they don't take a QB until the fourth round or later this year - if at all. They need to bring someone in as legitimate competition for Geno, but I think they'll lean towards a vet for that role. If Geno doesn't seize the job, then they'll go back to the well in 2016. Maybe with a new coach if it's really bad.

In their defense, three first round DL are all in the starting lineup, and two first round CBs either start or play the nickel. You aren't going to get that kind of production taking a QB in the first round every year.

They spent a second rounder on a QB who seemed to improve towards the end of the season with little to work with on offense. I suspect you'll be disappointed when they don't take a QB until the fourth round or later this year - if at all. They need to bring someone in as legitimate competition for Geno, but I think they'll lean towards a vet for that role. If Geno doesn't seize the job, then they'll go back to the well in 2016. Maybe with a new coach if it's really bad.

Oh come on, thats all nice, but really, isnt that just a pathetic list?

Only the Browns could compete with that list, I think.

Pac, what up? How's the weather in Rochester? Down here in Cortland/Ithaca area, we got rain on top of our 10" of snow.

Cant wait to get back on the Links.

6 weeks till pitchers and catchers.

What up J Dub.  The weather here last week has been an unmitigated disaster.  There was 1 day where the high was 14 followed by Fri where it was a high of 6.  I went out for something at like 11PM and it was -4.  Today was 36 which felt like spring but by tues we're back to a high of 7.

The lady friends brother lives in Cortland.  I go there a couple times a year and feel like I've traveled back in time to 1978.  No offense but that and Jacksonvile FL have to be 2 of the most depressing cities in the Universe.

sorry Slats, but rolling the dice twice in 15 years is the ultimate show of being GUTLESS

That's a great compliment. Aten was terrifying.

He was like a dumb genius.  His posts read like Russle Crowes wall in a Beautiful Mind.

Maybe Crusher can unban him for the off season.  Arguing with him sounds fun.

So because SANCHEZ was a disaster, do we now give up, and not keep trying. Just be satisfied with the 18th pick and draft a free safety.

TRY AGAIN, and keep trying until you get that guy. Period.

My post was in response to you stating that Woody and Co. never try to do this which of course they have with Sanchez.

What up J Dub.  The weather here last week has been an unmitigated disaster.  There was 1 day where the high was 14 followed by Fri where it was a high of 6.  I went out for something at like 11PM and it was -4.  Today was 36 which felt like spring but by tues we're back to a high of 7.

The lady friends brother lives in Cortland.  I go there a couple times a year and feel like I've traveled back in time to 1978.  No offense but that and Jacksonvile FL have to be 2 of the most depressing cities in the Universe.

The golf course I am superintendent of is in Cortland. That "city is crazy" do you go to any of the "hangouts' like

The Red Dragon

The Stone Lounge

Gators

Hobeaus

They had a riot this year after Cortland beat Ithaca in the Cortaca jug. Awesome time, Lots of drinking and scantily clad women all over. It was in Novemeber but it was like 75 that day.

Do you come down when the Jets are in town?

speaking of gutlessness, think back to the NY Jets handling of every QB since Chad Pennington, how they were used.Remember Brooks Bollinger after Herm's dreadful OLines and OC almost got every QB killed that last season, HOW they used Bollinger. Talk about handcuffs. Hell they brought Vinny back from eating chips and salsa on his couch instead. Then FF to Kellen Clemens-they had ZERO FAITH in him think of that game they won using him when Sanchez got hurt. Then Sanchez and the coddling. Greg McElroy? Oh my God, I've never SEEN a team play so bad behind a guy.TBH I didn't get to see much of how they handled Geno this year

My post was in response to you stating that Woody and Co. never try to do this which of course they have with Sanchez.

No, Thats fair. I just want them to keep trying. Did you see the list that wsa sent in on their "QB" draft history? Wow, what an abomination of worst QB's to be drafted by one team.

The golf course I am superintendent of is in Cortland. That "city is crazy" do you go to any of the "hangouts' like

The Red Dragon

The Stone Lounge

Gators

Hobeaus

They had a riot this year after Cortland beat Ithaca in the Cortaca jug. Awesome time, Lots of drinking and scantily clad women all over. It was in Novemeber but it was like 75 that day.

Do you come down when the Jets are in town?

My brother went to Cortland back in the 90's and we went to that one pub Dark Horse or whatever it's called a few times.  These days when we go it's to hang out with her brothers family or his daughters b-day.  I look forward to it about as much as a visit to the proctologist. 

I did go to training camp once but haven't the last 2 years.  Was going to go to the green white scrimmage in 12' but it was around 96 degrees that day and driving a couple hours to roast in the sun with 10K hillbillies sounded awful.  I think Shane was there, drunk as usual, giving us the play by play anyway.

speaking of gutlessness, think back to the NY Jets handling of every QB since Chad Pennington, how they were used.Remember Brooks Bollinger after Herm's dreadful OLines and OC almost got every QB killed that last season, HOW they used Bollinger. Talk about handcuffs. Hell they brought Vinny back from eating chips and salsa on his couch instead. Then FF to Kellen Clemens-they had ZERO FAITH in him think of that game they won using him when Sanchez got hurt. Then Sanchez and the coddling. Greg McElroy? Oh my God, I've never SEEN a team play so bad behind a guy.TBH I didn't get to see much of how they handled Geno this year

They handled Geno, like Rex always handles a QB. NO reliable back-up, and throw him in their every week, even if he puts up single digit QBR's. Same as Sanchez but no Tattoo.........................yet.

My brother went to Cortland back in the 90's and we went to that one pub Dark Horse or whatever it's called a few times.  These days when we go it's to hang out with her brothers family or his daughters b-day.  I look forward to it about as much as a visit to the proctologist. 

I did go to training camp once but haven't the last 2 years.  Was going to go to the green white scrimmage in 12' but it was around 96 degrees that day and driving a couple hours to roast in the sun with 10K hillbillies sounded awful.  I think Shane was there, drunk as usual, giving us the play by play anyway.

Yup, left the Dark horse off the list, even though they sponsor a golf tournament at our course. Its a good spot to hang out. The Jets when they are in town wont come to our course as we arent "high class" enough. They go over to the Cortland Country Club, but we do see them alot at the "DOUGS FISH FRY".

I love that place, you get a heaping plate of the GREASEIEST fish and fries and a Pitcher of Beer for about 15 bucks.

D'brick was in once and oreder FOUR plates of the stuff and wolfed that grease down, like he hadnt eaten in a week.

It's ill-advised, to be sure. And especially in the case of Sanchez where they intentionally avoided bringing in competition to avoid hurting his feelings.

I think the big sin there was not bringing in a real QB instead of Tebow. That was the time to give Sanchez real competition rather than a contract extension. More than anything, I believe that's what got Tannenbaum fired, and hopefully it's a lesson Rex learned. He certainly treated Geno differently than Sanchez, and it seemed to get something similar to results.

Hopefully the organization as a whole learned something, and Geno faces real competition in camp next year. The fact that Geno (and any rookie first rounder taken in the future) costs much less contract-wise than Sanchez did should help them move more quickly to the next guy, too.

I think the big sin there was not bringing in a real QB instead of Tebow. That was the time to give Sanchez real competition rather than a contract extension. More than anything, I believe that's what got Tannenbaum fired, and hopefully it's a lesson Rex learned. He certainly treated Geno differently than Sanchez, and it seemed to get something similar to results.

Hopefully the organization as a whole learned something, and Geno faces real competition in camp next year. The fact that Geno (and any rookie first rounder taken in the future) costs much less contract-wise than Sanchez did should help them move more quickly to the next guy, too.

Agree with all of this. The sin of signing Tebow was that it revealed severe organizational dysfunction, considering that it seemed nobody but Woody wanted him around. They need to find a way to isolate Woody away from the football ops. I also don't like what it says about the organization that they announced Rex is coming back but don't seem to want to extend him. Like one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

No, Thats fair. I just want them to keep trying. Did you see the list that wsa sent in on their "QB" draft history? Wow, what an abomination of worst QB's to be drafted by one team.

Yes, but is that because of lack of trying or terrible drafting? IMO it's the latter.

They drafted Penny in the first be to be the franchise QB. When that was starting to sour that drafted Clemmens in the 2nd. Then they turned to Favre. When he "retired" they moved up to the 5th pick for Sanchez. Then they drafted Geno.

The things I can fault them for from a decision making standpoint is waiting a year too long on Penny and Sanchez (although that is debatable) and Tanny not listening to Bradway on Wilson.

So to me it's more about horrible drafting than not trying

Agree with all of this. The sin of signing Tebow was that it revealed severe organizational dysfunction, considering that it seemed nobody but Woody wanted him around. They need to find a way to isolate Woody

away from the football ops. I also don't like what it says about the organization that they announced Rex is coming back but don't seem to want to extend him. Like one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

I think when all is said and done he will get a one year extension. I'm good either way. It's put up or shut up time for Rex and he gets a multi year extension or you haters get your wish.

IT'S BEEN FOUR WHOLE YEARS!

FF from 2005 to 2006?  Clemens had the opportunity to win the job in '06 and didn't.  Again in '07.  Pennington got hurt and then he did start and he sucked. The had zero faith in these guys because these guys warranted zero faith. 

Drew Stanton?

Except for the fact that the last time drafted a safety in the first round was forty years ago... and he was a strong safety.

Burgess Owens? 

And we can fix that by trading 3 1's, a 2 and more to move up for Johnny Football? Come on man.

Uh, 3 ones and a two is a bit much, but as I said in another post, If any of the TOP QB's start to fall, I hope Idzik has enough courage to jump in with a package to get one of these guys.

Did you see the list of QB's we have drafted in the past dozen years? Most of those guys couldnt make it in the CFL let alone the NFL. It was a complete joke.

Are you sure Brooks Bollinger, Eric Ainge, and Greg Mcelroy werent safeties? Because Lord knows they werent QB's ?

Are you sure? I know some people still think that brooks Bollinger was better than Matt Simms.

Archived