Why The Jets Could Never Get A QB Like Andrew Luck

SoFlaJets

speaking of gutlessness, think back to the NY Jets handling of every QB since Chad Pennington, how they were used.Remember Brooks Bollinger after Herm's dreadful OLines and OC almost got every QB killed that last season, HOW they used Bollinger. Talk about handcuffs. Hell they brought Vinny back from eating chips and salsa on his couch instead. Then FF to Kellen Clemens-they had ZERO FAITH in him think of that game they won using him when Sanchez got hurt. Then Sanchez and the coddling. Greg McElroy? Oh my God, I've never SEEN a team play so bad behind a guy.TBH I didn't get to see much of how they handled Geno this year

TomShane, CTM and Pac.  Its there fault.  Find them, kill them and the Jets will be winners.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's an andrew luck once a generation. it was just ... luck. 

I agree.

The Celtics are tanking in the hopes of getting one of the top talents in the draft.  That is planned whether it works or not.

Mannings' injury reportedley occurred in 2006.  That the Colts 'lucked' into Mannings' injury finally needing fusion surgery when in 2011 is not a great move by Bill Polian.  It is as you said.  Luck.

They may never tank a season to get a player like a luck, but they had every opportunity to not tank a season and get a Russell Willson or a Nick Foles or a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rodgers etc.

You dont need to tank your season to draft talent, you simply need scouts who recognize talent. I seriously feel that Idzik will go down as the best GM we've ever had, especially if he continues to make picks like Sheldon Richardson (and he did that before even bringing in his own scouts).

Just remember Tanny picked. Fergerson mangold. In his first draft ! And I think his 2nd drsft was revis and Harris and that didn't end well !!

jets are always mediocre enough to get a 10+ pick. if you want a once in a generation guy you better have the number 1 pick

This is always there issue.    They could have taken Jay Cutler over Dbrick and would anybody really have a problem with that?  I never liked Cutler at Vanderbilt and I think he's a poor mans Romo, but he's sure been better than any QB the Jets have had in the past 20 years.   And it's funny now that people wanted to sign Cutler and wanted to dump Dbrick.    

The Jets also seem to like the press, but they hate taking or picking leaders.    Most of the guys who were good and had attitude they seemed to let go or trade.  Guys like Keyshawn, Abraham, Revis, and so on who have attitudes and are either greedy or quitters, wind up being sent away.   And they get sent away pretty early in their careers, not at the tail end of their career.  

It is always amazing how a team who loves PR (aka sign Tebow) but they never seem to draft of sign guys who take control of the team.    Sanchez was a nice guy and all, terrible QB, and he got a lot of Press, but he was always kind of non chalant and who gives a crap.  Pennington the same way.      They did get Favre and it seemed they were trying to do things differently.

If you look at guys like Manning, Favre, Brady, Romo, Luck,  and so on  those teams live and die with their QBs and those guys lead their teams week in and week out.  They usually get all the credit or all the blame, right or wrong.  If the Broncos lose, Manning will get all the blame, even if he has a great game.   The Jets seem to fear those kinds of players.    At least they went out of their way to trade for Favre, but that was one season amongst many where they just seem to be a team afraid of having a player who pretty much owns the town.      Look at Namath.  Larger than life even to this day.    Marino is still larger than life in Miami.  Of course those guys are HOFers, but there is some kind of attitude that goes with those guys.  There is also some kind of leadership.  The Jets always seem to wind up picking guys like Sanchez or Pennington or even now Geno who seem to not have any kind of power.

Right or wrong,  RG3 pretty much got Shanahan fired.   Yeah Shanahan didn't help the situation, but who is RG3 at this point but a guy who had a decent rookie year and a bad second season.   But he has that kind of power.    The Jets always seem to be afraid of having players like that.   Revis was probably the closest to that attitude and they pretty much dumped him down to Tampa.   Keyshawn had attitude and wrote a book about it and he was pretty much dumped after a few seasons.  Yeah, Revis wasn't worth 16 million, but it seems the jets never like to keep star players with attitudes around.    

That's why a guy like Johnny Football seems like a pipe dream.  The Jets don't seem to like taking guys who will be the ones saying 'rex should be fired" even if the kid isn't worth that kind of power.

This is always there issue.    They could have taken Jay Cutler over Dbrick and would anybody really have a problem with that?  I never liked Cutler at Vanderbilt and I think he's a poor mans Romo, but he's sure been better than any QB the Jets have had in the past 20 years.   And it's funny now that people wanted to sign Cutler and wanted to dump Dbrick.    

The Jets also seem to like the press, but they hate taking or picking leaders.    Most of the guys who were good and had attitude they seemed to let go or trade.  Guys like Keyshawn, Abraham, Revis, and so on who have attitudes and are either greedy or quitters, wind up being sent away.   And they get sent away pretty early in their careers, not at the tail end of their career.  

It is always amazing how a team who loves PR (aka sign Tebow) but they never seem to draft of sign guys who take control of the team.    Sanchez was a nice guy and all, terrible QB, and he got a lot of Press, but he was always kind of non chalant and who gives a crap.  Pennington the same way.      They did get Favre and it seemed they were trying to do things differently.

If you look at guys like Manning, Favre, Brady, Romo, Luck,  and so on  those teams live and die with their QBs and those guys lead their teams week in and week out.  They usually get all the credit or all the blame, right or wrong.  If the Broncos lose, Manning will get all the blame, even if he has a great game.   The Jets seem to fear those kinds of players.    At least they went out of their way to trade for Favre, but that was one season amongst many where they just seem to be a team afraid of having a player who pretty much owns the town.      Look at Namath.  Larger than life even to this day.    Marino is still larger than life in Miami.  Of course those guys are HOFers, but there is some kind of attitude that goes with those guys.  There is also some kind of leadership.  The Jets always seem to wind up picking guys like Sanchez or Pennington or even now Geno who seem to not have any kind of power.

Right or wrong,  RG3 pretty much got Shanahan fired.   Yeah Shanahan didn't help the situation, but who is RG3 at this point but a guy who had a decent rookie year and a bad second season.   But he has that kind of power.    The Jets always seem to be afraid of having players like that.   Revis was probably the closest to that attitude and they pretty much dumped him down to Tampa.   Keyshawn had attitude and wrote a book about it and he was pretty much dumped after a few seasons.  Yeah, Revis wasn't worth 16 million, but it seems the jets never like to keep star players with attitudes around.    

That's why a guy like Johnny Football seems like a pipe dream.  The Jets don't seem to like taking guys who will be the ones saying 'rex should be fired" even if the kid isn't worth that kind of power.

So really, In conclusion, what you are saying is that basically this fan base should get used to mediocrity, and hope that every now and then, the "non-star" quality players that the Jets seem to be attracted to, every now and then mesh together enough to give us a playoff caliber team, but forget a championship as this just wont happen without a bonafide "Namath, Brady, Manning " etc type. I agree completely.

Archived