Report that Matt Simms signed for 2014

faba

JANUARY 13, 2014 12:49 PM
Matt Simms renegotiates contract, signed through 2014

BY SETH WALDER

Jets backup quarterback Matt Simms was expected to be a free agent this offseason but the young signal caller has renegotiated his contract to extend through 2014, according to a person familiar with the situation. 

Simms is scheduled to have a salary of $495,000 in 2014, according to league records. The renegotiation may have occurred as early as the regular season. He signed a one-year deal with the team a year ago and made the squad after Greg McElroy suffered a preseason injury and Simms put together a strong training camp. 

With Simms locked down for next season, the Jets technically have three quarterbacks scheduled to be on their roster: Geno Smith, Simms and Mark Sanchez. Sanchez, however, is not expected to return to Gang Green.

In his stead, the Jets will likely add at least one quarterback. 

At his season-ending press conference, GM John Idzik admitted, “We’ll look at quarterbacks, yes we’ll look at quarterbacks.”

It would make sense for the Jets to add another QB, either through free agency or the draft, that could at least compete with Smith for the starting job in next year’s training camp.

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JANUARY 13, 2014 12:49 PM
Matt Simms renegotiates contract, signed through 2014

BY SETH WALDER

Jets backup quarterback Matt Simms was expected to be a free agent this offseason but the young signal caller has renegotiated his contract to extend through 2014, according to a person familiar with the situation. 

Simms is scheduled to have a salary of $495,000 in 2014, according to league records. The renegotiation may have occurred as early as the regular season. He signed a one-year deal with the team a year ago and made the squad after Greg McElroy suffered a preseason injury and Simms put together a strong training camp. 

With Simms locked down for next season, the Jets technically have three quarterbacks scheduled to be on their roster: Geno Smith, Simms and Mark Sanchez. Sanchez, however, is not expected to return to Gang Green.

In his stead, the Jets will likely add at least one quarterback. 

At his season-ending press conference, GM John Idzik admitted, “We’ll look at quarterbacks, yes we’ll look at quarterbacks.”

It would make sense for the Jets to add another QB, either through free agency or the draft, that could at least compete with Smith for the starting job in next year’s training camp.

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

it would be nice if they added 2 more qb's. some kind of experience vet and a draft pick

Had a chance this year and was not good. He's not good. Hopefully the Jets will get a legit QB in here and draft someone and Simms will be back living with his parents.

Which game he was not good? He

Nearly knocked off Geno if it wasn't for Idzik's insistence.

Tough call given who's expected to be available. Vick would automatically bring a qb controversy, josh Freeman is as bad as Mark Sanchez, and Chad Henne just isn't that good.

That leaves former starters-turned journeymen backups Colt McCoy, Shaun Hill, Brady Quinn, etc.

By the way, mark my words, Sanchez is going to be a backup for the Pats next season.

Tough call given who's expected to be available. Vick would automatically bring a qb controversy, josh Freeman is as bad as Mark Sanchez, and Chad Henne just isn't that good.

That leaves former starters-turned journeymen backups Colt McCoy, Shaun Hill, Brady Quinn, etc.

By the way, mark my words, Sanchez is going to be a backup for the Pats next season.

Where is Mallett going? Traded?

So, what is wrong with a QB controversey if they bring Vick in? And what would be the contoversey? Vick would be the starter hands down, No controversey that I can see.

Quinn was already here and couldnt even beat out Simms for backup.

So, what is wrong with a QB controversey if they bring Vick in? And what would be the contoversey? Vick would be the starter hands down, No controversey that I can see.

Vick would be the starter for a few games, then get hurt, and Geno is back in the saddle and you just wasted cap space on another QB who never stayed healthy when he was young.   Plus there are a lot of people who hate the guy who aren't even into football.   The Jets don't really need to become a circus again that has nothing to do with football.

Best news of the day. Now there's absolutely zero way anyone can want to keep Mark on, we now have our backup QB. Two birds, one stone.

On what planet should the Jets go into the season with Simms as the #2? Have we learned nothing from the Sanchez era as to where this team needs a legit backup when the starter will inevitably fail?

Vick would be the starter for a few games, then get hurt, and Geno is back in the saddle and you just wasted cap space on another QB who never stayed healthy when he was young.   Plus there are a lot of people who hate the guy who aren't even into football.   The Jets don't really need to become a circus again that has nothing to do with football.

The first half of your argument, I am willing to listen to. That is that Vick has trouble staying healthy. Thats a legitimate concern and a risk I am willing to take given his famililarity with Marty. The circus crap is long gone with Mike Vick. He's just another FA QB looking for a job, nothing more, nothing less. I would sign him in a heartbeat, and pair him with Marty and let Geno man the clipboard.

On what planet should the Jets go into the season with Simms as the #2? Have we learned nothing from the Sanchez era as to where this team needs a legit backup when the starter will inevitably fail?

Was he inferring that Simms would be #2 or just a backup for now competing for any job? I dont think he thinks Simms will be #2 but I could be wrong. I would hope that the "new" guy would be #1, Geno #2, and then Simms or someone else. I hope.

Was he inferring that Simms would be #2 or just a backup for now competing for any job? I dont think he thinks Simms will be #2 but I could be wrong. I would hope that the "new" guy would be #1, Geno #2, and then Simms or someone else. I hope.

Simms was #2 all this season and his mention of Sanchez, who would be competing for the job, makes me believe he was saying that he thinks Simms is good enough to be #3 when he's barely good enough to hold a clip board or be on the practice squad.

Simms was #2 all this season and his mention of Sanchez, who would be competing for the job, makes me believe he was saying that he thinks Simms is good enough to be #3 when he's barely good enough to hold a clip board or be on the practice squad.

If Geno is #1 and Simms #2 next year, Rex better start typing up his resume, BEFORE Black Monday 2014, because he wouldnt make it to the bye with those 2 as your #1 and #2.

The first half of your argument, I am willing to listen to. That is that Vick has trouble staying healthy. Thats a legitimate concern and a risk I am willing to take given his famililarity with Marty. The circus crap is long gone with Mike Vick. He's just another FA QB looking for a job, nothing more, nothing less. I would sign him in a heartbeat, and pair him with Marty and let Geno man the clipboard.

I was being tongue in cheek/half mocking the crowd that thought Simms should have been our starter. He's got enough talent to be a solid backup and that's deserved from where he came into the league. I actually do like the signing. 

If Geno is #1 and Simms #2 next year, Rex better start typing up his resume, BEFORE Black Monday 2014, because he wouldnt make it to the bye with those 2 as your #1 and #2.

You do realize that Geno and Simms were the #1 and #2 this year, respectively, and they still managed to go 8-8? I know you believe that we are doomed with Geno as a starter, but the way he played the last quarter of the season is fairly indicative of a player improving. He plays at that level for an entire season, we're without a doubt a playoff team.

Why bring in anyone who can't play? Only Tanny would do such a thing .

We have a lot of holes on this team and there was no sense in creating another one.  Simms earned the # 3 job last year by beating out McElroy, ended up the # 2, and knows the system.  And re-signing him for less than $500,000 means we can turn around and cut him at any time.  Everyone knows we need to add at least 1, if not 2 QB's into the mix.  Either Simms ends up cut or he's our cheap 3rd string guy.  I don't see a problem with it.

Archived