Lets face it, the Jets are going D in the 1st round

JustInFudge

You know it.  I know it.  Everybody knows it.  So get over the idea of adding a stud WR like Watkins, Evans or Lee or a TE.  It aint happening. 

First off, the WR's wont be there when the Jets pick and the value will be too much for a TE.  So the Jets will be taking...a cornerback.  Yep, thats right, again.

None of the top flight WR's will be on the board.  And while the Jets WR core is terrible, the secondary isnt far behind.  Especially when Cro gets his walking papers before March.  At that point, the Jets will be running with a big question mark in Milliner who will be forced into the #1 slot and a very solid nickel corner in Wilson...and thats it.

So get over it.  Get used to it.  The Jets are going D again and the Jets are going corner, again.

Familiarize yourself with these names because one of them will be the 18th overall pick by the NY Jets.

Justin Gilbert - probably gone

Darqueze Dennard - possibly gone

Marcus Roberson - Go Gators

Loucheiz Purifoy - Go Gators

Kyle Fuller

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont let me stand in the way.  Keep lying to yourselves.  Keep drooling over a WR.  Keep talking about it, keep making threads....dream on.  I'm just trying to prepare you for the inevitable.  The Jets will be taking a corner...and they should.  This is a deep WR class and there a quite a few stud man corners that will be great value at 18.

I think it'll be an OLB, but agree with the premise.

And it could be a WR - there's a good chance Marqise Lee is there and he reminds me of a better version of Jeremy Maclin (who played in Mornhinweg's scheme, so I think there's a fit there) or they could decide they really like Paul Richardson in the field stretching DeSean Jackson role (Mornhinweg again). It's just worth pointing out that the Jets aren't 100% going pass catcher in the first like mock drafts would have you think.

I would be surprised if they valued a TE with the first round pick though, I expect something more along the lines of a Nicklas/Rodgers/Fiedorowicz selection in the third or fourth, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. 

And it could be a WR - there's a good chance Marqise Lee is there and he reminds me of a better version of Jeremy Maclin (who played in Mornhinweg's scheme, so I think there's a fit there)  

agree they don't value TE that high but im saying this right now John Idzik won't drink from the USC well in rd 1 after Tannenbaum polluted it. And all he's done this year is bring in local guys (latest example Jermaine Cunningham from Bronx)

Marquise Lee is a good player and might have a good career but history has shown the Jets bringing a USC dude to NYC is not the greatest idea. 

a pass rusher is still a need, and a good first round pick.  so are corners.  if the value at the time of the pick is defense, you take defense.

FA comes first

if idzik brings in a back up QB, O-lineman, TE and WR's, we can all sleep the night before the draft

Needs are WR, OL, TE, QB, DB, S, OLB...in that order basically. I have to believe that at least one WR, OL, TE, or QB, will be a good value at 18. We have three first round corners on the roster right now. FA is the best route to cover the CB position considering we supposedly have a killer dline to take the pressure off the corners and safeties. Weapons and road graders please.

I'll put down 50 right now that at least one of Watkins, Lee or Evans is there but if they aren't and let's just say the Jets were hell bent on taking a WR at 18 (which I agree probably won't be the case but...) I wouldn't be opposed to Cooks or Beckham Jr. Someone will rise up from the second tier. 

I'll put down 50 right now that at least one of Watkins, Lee or Evans is there but if they aren't and let's just say the Jets were hell bent on taking a WR at 18 (which I agree probably won't be the case but...) I wouldn't be opposed to Cooks or Beckham Jr. Someone will rise up from the second tier. 

There's a real chance Beckham runs a 4.3 and rises up board. I don't know if Idzik will consider that value but the one thing we can be sure of is he will draft for value and not reach for a WR just cause they need one. I suspect they will find some mid level FA like Jerome Simpson or Maclin and it won't be such a dire need. Worse case they will sign Kenny Britt that just has to happen. 

these big red zone guys like Evans, Benjamin or the TE is like Meh. the Jets already have this player his name is David Nelson. 

There's a real chance Beckham runs a 4.3 and rises up board. I don't know if Idzik will consider that value but the one thing we can be sure of is he will draft for value and not reach for a WR just cause they need one. I suspect they will find some mid level FA like Jerome Simpson or Maclin and it won't be such a dire need. Worse case they will sign Kenny Britt that just has to happen. 

these big red zone guys like Evans, Benjamin or the TE is like Meh. the Jets already have this player his name is David Nelson. 

I agree Idzik will have an, at least, solid starting roster by draft time and they will probably go BAP. Could still end up one of the WRs or TEs. I think Amaro is going to get more and more juice leading up to it. 

You know it.  I know it.  Everybody knows it.  So get over the idea of adding a stud WR like Watkins, Evans or Lee or a TE.  It aint happening. 

First off, the WR's wont be there when the Jets pick and the value will be too much for a TE.  So the Jets will be taking...a cornerback.  Yep, thats right, again.

None of the top flight WR's will be on the board.  And while the Jets WR core is terrible, the secondary isnt far behind.  Especially when Cro gets his walking papers before March.  At that point, the Jets will be running with a big question mark in Milliner who will be forced into the #1 slot and a very solid nickel corner in Wilson...and thats it.

So get over it.  Get used to it.  The Jets are going D again and the Jets are going corner, again.

Familiarize yourself with these names because one of them will be the 18th overall pick by the NY Jets.

Kyle Fuller

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

the only way I see this happening is if dennard or gilbert is there

They might well go D in the 1st round and I'll be one of the few who won't complain if they do.  In fact, if Stephon Tuitt falls to the Jets, I would hope they draft him.  Keep in mind the Giants won 2 superbowls by overloading their D-line.  People are comparing Tuitt to Richard Seymour.  That sounds pretty darn good to me.  This draft is deep w/ WRs.  We have a 2nd and probably 2 3rds (depending on Revis).  I'll be cheering.

Kyle Fuller

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

the last 3 on your list will be there when we pick in the 2nd

Kyle Fuller

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

Blah. I like the free agent cornerback market better than the WR market. We have money.

If one of the big 3 receivers are still available and we pick a CB I'll be so pissed. If they're all gone and the BAP is a CB so be it. On the other hand, it's friggin January can we at least dream a little?? Still hoping 1 of the 3 fall. It can be argued that Ebron or Amaro rank higher than the remaining defensive players at #18.

Kyle Fuller

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

I agree, but only if Dennard, or Gilbert are there, the other CB's on the list are not worth the 18th overall pick.

Archived