Lets face it, the Jets are going D in the 1st round

JustInFudge

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Especially when Cro gets his walking papers before March. 

Who says Cromartie won't be back?  He's already stated he expects to be cut BUT wants to come back to the Jets.  He'll be available at a reduced value and hopefully will have taken care of his hip issues in the offseason so that he can return to 2010-12 form, when he was a top 10 corner each season.

Why create a need when we don't have to?  With the strides Milliner made in the final quarter of last season, we might just be set at corner with a trio of Cromartie-Milliner-Wilson.  

I do agree that WR is deep, and wouldn't mind going defense in the 1st and snagging a Kelvin Benjamin or Jordan Matthews in the 2nd.  But I think that defensive guy would more likely be an athletic LB so that our defense can have more versatility between 3-4 and 4-3 looks.  David Harris is in the last year of his deal, after all, and might start to get phased out in favor of LB's who aren't a liability in coverage.

Khalil Mack, CJ Mosley or Kony Ealy seem more likely if we go defense.

agree they don't value TE that high but im saying this right now John Idzik won't drink from the USC well in rd 1 after Tannenbaum polluted it. And all he's done this year is bring in local guys (latest example Jermaine Cunningham from Bronx)

Marquise Lee is a good player and might have a good career but history has shown the Jets bringing a USC dude to NYC is not the greatest idea. 

Maybe. I wouldn't be upset if they pass on Lee. I haven't seen the special talent others see when I've watched him, though that was more in the context of everybody saying he was a top 5, top 10 pick before the season. I was pretty confident he was going to slip.

That said, Idzik seems like the kind of guy who's going to ignore any bias (internal, external, fans) and make what he thinks is the right pick regardless. So if taking into account the offense Lee played in, surrounding talent at SC, interviews, tape evaluation, etc he feels Lee is the best player on the board, I don't think he'll pass on him simply because he's a USC player.

Whether or not he actually likes Lee is an entirely different story. There's definitely question marks. I do think he's quite a good fit for the offensive scheme though, which has to come into consideration.

I hate the BAP argument because on a team who already has a ton of First Round picks on defense,  obviously they aren't the BAP if they have to keep picking CBs every damn season.   People make fun of "stupid to draft a QB every year"  but it's ok to draft a CB in the first round every year.  Yeah that just means you sucked at picking them.

And the BAP never works because what happens if the first 4 rounds the BAP is a defensive player, so the Jets should take a defensive player in every round and never worry about the offense?  Yeah because we've seen how successful they are by never worrying about actually adding playmakers on offense.   And this theory that they will handle everything in FA,  says who?   

A free agent WR has a choice to play with any offense and any QB and they'd pick the Jets and Geno?   Yeah right.    The only guys you'd wind up with are guys like Holmes who just want the money and are a cancer to the team.

You know it.  I know it.  Everybody knows it.  So get over the idea of adding a stud WR like Watkins, Evans or Lee or a TE.  It aint happening. 

First off, the WR's wont be there when the Jets pick and the value will be too much for a TE.  So the Jets will be taking...a cornerback.  Yep, thats right, again.

None of the top flight WR's will be on the board.  And while the Jets WR core is terrible, the secondary isnt far behind.  Especially when Cro gets his walking papers before March.  At that point, the Jets will be running with a big question mark in Milliner who will be forced into the #1 slot and a very solid nickel corner in Wilson...and thats it.

So get over it.  Get used to it.  The Jets are going D again and the Jets are going corner, again.

Familiarize yourself with these names because one of them will be the 18th overall pick by the NY Jets.

Justin Gilbert - probably gone

Darqueze Dennard - possibly gone

Marcus Roberson - Go Gators

Loucheiz Purifoy - Go Gators

Kyle Fuller

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

That's why they should trade back with the 49ers ...they could pick up a third rounder and  with the 30th pick Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington 

Maybe. I wouldn't be upset if they pass on Lee. I haven't seen the special talent others see when I've watched him, though that was more in the context of everybody saying he was a top 5, top 10 pick before the season. I was pretty confident he was going to slip.

That said, Idzik seems like the kind of guy who's going to ignore any bias (internal, external, fans) and make what he thinks is the right pick regardless. So if taking into account the offense Lee played in, surrounding talent at SC, interviews, tape evaluation, etc he feels Lee is the best player on the board, I don't think he'll pass on him simply because he's a USC player.

Whether or not he actually likes Lee is an entirely different story. There's definitely question marks. I do think he's quite a good fit for the offensive scheme though, which has to come into consideration.

You're trusting a guy who wasted a 2nd round pick on the worse statistical QB in the NFL.  Idzik is the second coming of Tannembaum, w/o the trader mentality.   

And the BAP never works because what happens if the first 4 rounds the BAP is a defensive player, so the Jets should take a defensive player in every round and never worry about the offense?  Yeah because we've seen how successful they are by never worrying about actually adding playmakers on offense.   And this theory that they will handle everything in FA,  says who?   

Luckily, no one has to say that. Free agency comes before the draft. They'll know when they're on the clock whether or not they've done enough on offense before handing their card in. If they haven't, then I think the Jets start thinking about trading up to ensure they get the guy they want for what they want to spend. The amount of money and picks they have this year gives them a tremendous amount of flexibility.

BPA is subjective and not an exact science. There have been TONS of BPA that have been absolute busts.

FIX THE OFFENSE OR DIE TRYING. You cannot tell me that the third best CB is going to be the better player available than Lee or Ebron or appreciably better to the degree that you ignore the biggest problem on your team.

BPA is subjective and not an exact science. There have been TONS of BPA that have been absolute busts.

FIX THE OFFENSE OR DIE TRYING. You cannot tell me that the third best CB is going to be the better player available than Lee or Ebron or appreciably better to the degree that you ignore the biggest problem on your team.

Amen.

Kill JiF

I hate the BAP argument because on a team who already has a ton of First Round picks on defense,  obviously they aren't the BAP if they have to keep picking CBs every damn season.   People make fun of "stupid to draft a QB every year"  but it's ok to draft a CB in the first round every year.  Yeah that just means you sucked at picking them.

A free agent WR has a choice to play with any offense and any QB and they'd pick the Jets and Geno?   Yeah right.    The only guys you'd wind up with are guys like Holmes who just want the money and are a cancer to the team.

I don't have a link, but I am pretty sure Idzik said their philosophy is to go BPA in the first round and then may reach a little for need in the mid and later rounds

I don't have a link, but I am pretty sure Idzik said their philosophy is to go BPA in the first round and then may reach a little for need in the mid and later rounds

So, in other words, he's taking lottery shots with his biggest needs. Awesome.

God, I hope the BPA plays on the DL. How awesome would it be to have TWO Muhammad Wilkersons?? Or two SHELDON RICHARDSONS??

So, in other words, he's taking lottery shots with his biggest needs. Awesome.

Whole things a lottery. BAP is a myth. It's subjective to each individual.

Winning teams have a star QB, solid coaching and luck. The rest is just fun stuff us fans can waste are time arguing about.

Kill JiF.

I hope this is his philosophy, because it's the smart way to do things. The grades they have on their top 18 should be much more complete and concrete than the grades on their top 48, or 100, etc. So top of the draft, you take your top guy. As you move further thru the process, you fudge a little more for need - unless a standout value is there.

And yes, Geno was the BAP as well as a major need pick. I'm not sure even hindsight is 20-20 in this case, as we've never had the opportunity to see him play with a full set of NFL quality receivers.

Luckily, no one has to say that. Free agency comes before the draft. They'll know when they're on the clock whether or not they've done enough on offense before handing their card in. If they haven't, then I think the Jets start thinking about trading up to ensure they get the guy they want for what they want to spend. The amount of money and picks they have this year gives them a tremendous amount of flexibility.

this. 12 picks and the cap space they have = ultimate flexibility. basically no free agent or draft pick is out of there reach. a very good position for a 2nd year idzik to be in. we got the reduced calorie idzik last year, this year the shackles are off. we can now see what he is capable/uncapable of

I hope this is his philosophy, because it's the smart way to do things. The grades they have on their top 18 should be much more complete and concrete than the grades on their top 48, or 100, etc. So top of the draft, you take your top guy. As you move further thru the process, you fudge a little more for need - unless a standout value is there.

And yes, Geno was the BAP as well as a major need pick. I'm not sure even hindsight is 20-20 in this case, as we've never had the opportunity to see him play with a full set of NFL quality receivers.

I hope BPA means Best prototypical offensive player available, and any other offensive player available, so we dont have to listen to another full year of the "we have no weapons" excuses that seem to grant Geno and Rex full clemency, no matter how bad the offense is.

And, then heaven forbid, the offensive weapons they bring in, dont improve this offense and then Idzik will be blamed for choosing the "wrong weapons".

You know what, now that I think of it, Ive changed my mind, GO DEFENSE in FA and DRAFT and then we can just keep the same old excuses for the offense and this coaching staff for another couple of years.

the last 3 on your list will be there when we pick in the 2nd

Possibly...but if Purifoy does what I think he'll do at combine, he'll shoot up the board.  His tape is great.  He can play zero coverage on just about anyone and he's a playmaker.  The Gators used him in the kicking game, specials and receiving. 

Blah. I like the free agent cornerback market better than the WR market. We have money.

The corner market is good but I think you'll see a lot of those guys resigned or franchised.  I could totally see them passing on a WR BAP at corner.

I agree, but only if Dennard, or Gilbert are there, the other CB's on the list are not worth the 18th overall pick.

I dont know, I'm trying not to be a homer...I'm usually pretty unbiased when it comes to Gator prospects...these guys are stud man cover corners.  And they'll blow combine away.

Yeah what i think BAP is different from just about any other fan might think it is. Only time and production will tell if our GM hit it right with his picks

yeah and you can't quantify it to an exact science. Certain GMs might have a process or rules they'll follow but it's a bendable box. So many factors can go into the pick.

I hope BPA means Best prototypical offensive player available, and any other offensive player available, so we dont have to listen to another full year of the "we have no weapons" excuses that seem to grant Geno and Rex full clemency, no matter how bad the offense is.

You're acting as if the only place to acquire talent during the offseason is thru the draft. It's not. The Jets should have more than $50M to spend in free agency, as well as a dozen draft picks to dangle. Last year, Idzik traded a fourth rounder for a RB, nothing's stopping him from making a similar deal this year for a WR or TE.

If they do well in the run up to the draft, they'll be in position to take the BAP at #18 - and that's what you should want. It would hardly be the worst thing for this team if the BAP is an OLB, S, or CB. This roster can use help virtually everywhere.

The Jets will have 12 picks in the draft. FA signings aside, they have four picks within the first three rounds. It's very likely that they may pick at least two defensive players in rounds 1-3. It simply may come to selecting the BPA in those rounds. 

You're acting as if the only place to acquire talent during the offseason is thru the draft. It's not. The Jets should have more than $50M to spend in free agency, as well as a dozen draft picks to dangle. Last year, Idzik traded a fourth rounder for a RB, nothing's stopping him from making a similar deal this year for a WR or TE.

If they do well in the run up to the draft, they'll be in position to take the BAP at #18 - and that's what you should want. It would hardly be the worst thing for this team if the BAP is an OLB, S, or CB. This roster can use help virtually everywhere.

OK, as long as you promise to not throw the "no weapons" excuse at me this time next year when we have come off yet another season of woeful QB and offensive football.

Who says Cromartie won't be back?  He's already stated he expects to be cut BUT wants to come back to the Jets.  He'll be available at a reduced value and hopefully will have taken care of his hip issues in the offseason so that he can return to 2010-12 form, when he was a top 10 corner each season.

Why create a need when we don't have to?  With the strides Milliner made in the final quarter of last season, we might just be set at corner with a trio of Cromartie-Milliner-Wilson.  

I do agree that WR is deep, and wouldn't mind going defense in the 1st and snagging a Kelvin Benjamin or Jordan Matthews in the 2nd.  But I think that defensive guy would more likely be an athletic LB so that our defense can have more versatility between 3-4 and 4-3 looks.  David Harris is in the last year of his deal, after all, and might start to get phased out in favor of LB's who aren't a liability in coverage.

Khalil Mack, CJ Mosley or Kony Ealy seem more likely if we go defense.

Barnes is coming back, he was very effective at the start of the season and Coples started to really turn it on after coming back from breaking his ankle...I'd imagine Pace comes back on the cheap as well.  OLB should be fine...but I wouldnt be upset if someone was there...but they wont be.  No way they go ILB at 18. 

Cro looks done.  If he's got to have hip surgery, I dont see him getting resigned...he may never be the same.  He was never a technique corner, he was someone who relied on his make up speed and lateral movement...that might change.  His days might be done.  Got to hand it to Bit, he saw this coming.  Plus, I dont see Cro getting an big offer from Idzik...he'll probably do better on the open market.  This is his last pay day.  I dont expect to see Cro back.  Which creates a huge need because while Milliner turned it on toward the end of the season, you certainly cant go into next season thinking he's your #1.

Barnes is coming back, he was very effective at the start of the season and Coples started to really turn it on after coming back from breaking his ankle...I'd imagine Pace comes back on the cheap as well. OLB should be fine...but I wouldnt be upset if someone was there...but they wont be. No way they go ILB at 18.

Cro looks done. If he's got to have hip surgery, I dont see him getting resigned...he may never be the same. He was never a technique corner, he was someone who relied on his make up speed and lateral movement...that might change. His days might be done. Got to hand it to Bit, he saw this coming. Plus, I dont see Cro getting an big offer from Idzik...he'll probably do better on the open market. This is his last pay day. I dont expect to see Cro back. Which creates a huge need because while Milliner turned it on toward the end of the season, you certainly cant go into next season thinking he's your #1.

So Milliner isn't the #1 but some rookie is going to be? After seeing the growing pains Dee went through?

Open the checkbook, sign Verner to be the stud corner for the next 5 years. Draft a CB in the later rounds to supplement Milliner, Verner, Wilson, Walls, and Lankster.

So Milliner isn't the #1 but some rookie is going to be? After seeing the growing pains Dee went through?

Open the checkbook, sign Verner to be the stud corner for the next 5 years. Draft a CB in the later rounds to supplement Milliner, Verner, Wilson, Walls, and Lankster.

This is exactly what I'd like to see happen although there's a good chance Titans franchise him.

Barnes is coming back, he was very effective at the start of the season and Coples started to really turn it on after coming back from breaking his ankle...I'd imagine Pace comes back on the cheap as well.  OLB should be fine...but I wouldnt be upset if someone was there...but they wont be.  No way they go ILB at 18.

I could see it happening.  Harris could be gone after 2014.  We'll need to bring in at least one new LB this offseason from somewhere.

Archived