Brandt Names Richardson to All-Rookie Team, Predicts DROY

Bleedin Green

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000313808/article/eddie-lacy-keenan-allen-ziggy-ansah-make-allrookie-team

Sheldon Richardson

New York Jets, first round (No. 13)

The Missouri product has superb quickness, playing with a level of athleticism that reminds me of Warren Sapp. Richardson has a bright future in the NFL. I think he'll be a Pro Bowl mainstay.

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Richardson.

Sapp is obviously a hell of a comparison and it's cool to see him predict Richardson as a Pro Bowl mainstay.  Also nice to see the acknowledgement as DROY, because while I think we all know it would be well deserved, I get the feeling the average fans (and writers) don't fully appreciate his season given the lack of those "big time" stats (e.g., sacks, INTs).

If Richardson wins DROY, and when considering the improved play in the final quarter of the season out of Geno, Milliner and Winters.....anyone still think this was a bad draft?

who is calling it a "bad" draft? i think it was a decent draft. remains to be seen if Milliner turns the corner. then it'll be a better draft. our attempts at addressing the OLine blew. Ivory was a draft pick since we traded a 4th, that was definitely good. 

who is calling it a "bad" draft? i think it was a decent draft. remains to be seen if Milliner turns the corner. then it'll be a better draft. our attempts at addressing the OLine blew. Ivory was a draft pick since we traded a 4th, that was definitely good. 

A lot of people here have been ripping it for most of the season.  And yes, the Ivory piece was a great decision.  I was high on that trade from the moment it happened.  Just took some time for him to flourish.

That was the majority opinion here for most of the season.

If Richardson wins DROY, and when considering the improved play in the final quarter of the season out of Geno, Milliner and Winters.....anyone still think this was a bad draft?

Get back to me in a year...

Case in point.  JiF's a bigtime Idzik hater.  Well, until he decided to bring back Rex.

That was the majority opinion here for most of the season.

there was a lengthy game stretch where geno was a turnover machine, winters was a turnstile, and milliner was a toaster. cant blame people at the peak of these players failure for hating on the draft. fortunately for the jets, they all seemed to have picked up their game late in the season which is promising

Why? because I'm not ready to say it was a good draft because a couple guys played ok during the last 4 games of the season?

No, because one of them is a DROY candidate, AND the other three top picks all played "ok" (or better) down the stretch, AND what this guy says below:

We also got a RB that averaged 4.6 a carry in the fourth round.

You were against the Ivory pickup from the start and repped Powell hard.  I like Powell but as a runner, Ivory is clearly superior.  He was a solid pickup for a 4th rounder.

I'm not saying this was a great draft, as it's too early.  But it is very difficult to argue it was a BAD draft anymore.

Yes

As far as joewillie's imquiry into Jet OROY - have your cake brooooo and stop wallowing in a miserable Jets past. Its not that big a deal.

This was not wallowing (although I do that on occasion). This was a legitimate inquiry. And they have had some truly great offensive players like:

Snell, Maynard, Namath, Sauer, Barkum, McNeil, Martin, Toon, Walker,Riggins (hmm Riggins wasnt OROY?) he had a great rookie year.

I am NOT always negative you know. It just seems that way.LOL

You were against the Ivory pickup from the start and repped Powell hard.  I like Powell but as a runner, Ivory is clearly superior.  He was a solid pickup for a 4th rounder.

No, I wasn't, not even close. I actually changed my avatar recently for the first time. I made and used it since the day we got him. You must be confusing me with someone else. I'm the guy with the Ivory soap avatar.

No, because one of them is a DROY candidate, AND the other three top picks all played "ok" (or better) down the stretch, AND what this guy says below:

You were against the Ivory pickup from the start and repped Powell hard. I like Powell but as a runner, Ivory is clearly superior. He was a solid pickup for a 4th rounder.

I'm not saying this was a great draft, as it's too early. But it is very difficult to argue it was a BAD draft anymore.

Agreed with this all. I was highly critical of the Ivory move. He proved me wrong. He's an explosive dude.

I've always said that this offseason will define Idzik.

Agreed with this all. I was highly critical of the Ivory move. He proved me wrong. He's an explosive dude.

I've always said that this offseason will define Idzik.

Yep.  This offseason will define Idzik, and its playoffs or bust for Rex.  All good news for Jets fans IMO.

Kiko will win it because he has sexy #'s.  You cant equate what a Rex DLine does by looking at numbers but unfortunately we live in a shallow world.

All Kiko has is a high number of tackles, and the tackle stat doesn't mean sheeeeeeet

Kiko will win it because he has sexy #'s. You cant equate what a Rex DLine does by looking at numbers but unfortunately we live in a shallow world.

I saw a lot of love for Trufant the CB from Atlanta, he started solid, and got even better as the season went on, and gained a lot of steam, he was the best rookie CB Sept-November, and 2nd best in December behind our very own Milliner, who also was according to PFF the best rated CB period in the month of December all while being targeted the most of any CB during that stretch to! That experience, and success should go a long way for his play, and confidence heading into next season.

"See if Milliner turns the corner"

Statistically he was the best CB in the final 4 games in the entire NFL, and the most targeted during that span, I would call that turning the corner, the question is can he stay there, and improve, and not go back around the corner the wrong way.

Archived