Jets and Rex reach "multi-year" extension, per Schefter

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm rarely wrong.

Did anyone else have dreams of Rex hoisting the Lombardi trophy followed by a warm embrace with him an Idzik on the podium, crying, laughing and fondling each other?

Great.  So the Vikings decided Mike Zimmer was a better choice (I agree with them), and the Redskins hired a guy who was coaching in the UFL just a few years ago.     Also the Lions decided coaching

Brian Costello‏@BrianCoz1m

Source confirms that Rex Ryan did get a contract extension, but it sounds like it's a complex deal when it comes to how long it is for #nyj

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN1m

The feeling in organization is Rex Ryan appears safe thru 2015, but there are complexities in the new deal beyond that #nyj

Not surprising.

The Jets were originally offering a one year extension, Rex held out for a longer deal. This is almost certainly a compromise deal that pays Rex more than the one year extension would've if he's fired next year, but costs the Jets less than the entire value of the multi-year extension under those same circumstances.

The "heavily incentivized towards post season wins" clause ESPN alludes to could be interesting. Probably increases those guarantees.

Not surprising.

The Jets were originally offering a one year extension, Rex held out for a longer deal. This is almost certainly a compromise deal that pays Rex more than the one year extension would've if he's fired next year, but costs the Jets less than the entire value of the multi-year extension under those same circumstances.

The "heavily incentivized towards post season wins" clause ESPN alludes to could be interesting. Probably increases those guarantees.

OK, I will stick around now. Happy? :)

Magnifying what a dumfk Woody ( and God I hope not Idzik) is. Anybody that thinks that Rex wouldn't sell family members to win football games regardless of any impact to his personal finances  - doesn't know Rex Ryan.

I guess it all depends on what you take that to mean.  I didn't interpret it to be that it was put in there as any sort of motivational tool, which is the impression I'm thinking you took from this.  I figured it was meant to resolve a sticking point in negotiations, with  Rex wanting more than the Jets were looking to pay him, so ultimately the compromise being that if he wanted that extra money that he had to produce the kind of results they wanted / expected out of the team (playoff wins).  Obviously tough to say for sure either way though.

• Upvote 1

Take care of yourself! :)

I'm interested to see what those details are. I expect that the guarantees he got on a multi-year deal are well north of what they were originally offering in a one year extension. The incentification could've come from Rex's end. I think he was fully prepared to bet on himself and play out his original deal, and field offers as a free agent. He's probably betting on himself here, accepting language that attaches money to the post-season victories he expects.

Or, the jets were set to extend him only for one more year, but Rex held out for more (this the delay in timing).

The Jets compromise was to have the extra year(s) conditional on playoff appearances (wins?), which allows the Jets to dump Rex, with less guaranteed money

Not surprising.

The most Jet thing ever, and why no one in the league takes the organization seriously.

• Thumb Down 1

The most Jet thing ever, and why no one in the league takes the organization seriously.

Tom how would you know what anyone in the league thinks?  Are they somehow beaming you their thoughts through your tinfoil hat?

• Upvote 1

Or, the jets were set to extend him only for one more year, but Rex held out for more (this the delay in timing).

The Jets compromise was to have the extra year(s) conditional on playoff appearances (wins?), which allows the Jets to dump Rex, with less guaranteed money

Literally zero chance that a multi-year extension gives Rex less in guarantees than a one year deal.

I am not sure why people are complaining.  It sounds like Idzik was involved and got a deal done that makes sense for both side. If the Jets make the playoffs next year, Rex's extension will be guaranteed.  If the don't they can fire Rex and pay him for one year.  But this way Rex isn't technically a lame duck.

And if they miss the playoffs next year, Rex should be fired.  This doesn't change that.

If Rex Ryan delivers (playoffs), he sticks around beyond 2015. If he doesn't, team can terminate/opt out of deal. Smart move by Jets #nyj

So how do you explain not even having a punt returner and how bad of an in game coach he is?

I am hopeful Milliner has turned it around, but he shouldn't have been gifted a starting job just because he was drafted in the first round. He missed too much camp and it showed early on.

I like what I see out of Marty, but at the end of the day the offense is going to be driven by the QB and I don't think we have one. Things are as bright as people would make it, but it's not as bleak either.

We had a punt returner IIRC and not remotely sold on bad in game coach so those are out. Millliner closed  his rookie year strong, probably the best corner on the roster right now so nothing doing there. Geno has got this.

We had a punt returner IIRC and not remotely sold on bad in game coach so those are out. Millliner closed  his rookie year strong, probably the best corner on the roster right now so nothing doing there. Geno has got this.

There was one game he didn't employ a punt returner. That is a fact.

His in game challenges and halftime adjustments are terrible.

Geno does not "got this". All he has got are the same questions he had before he was drafted.

Yeah, I had this crazy idea that the Jets should take measures to improve and it blew up in my face. Good win.

lol what a visionary! With the same old longshot plan at that....Stay in that box, its scary otherwise! That 4th straight freshman HC might have been it! Wwwwwoooooooooooooooeeee!

Like I just said above:

No way Rex is back in 2015 if he misses the playoffs. Coaches these days don't go four years in a row with no postseason and keep their job.

This is why they have to be looking QB in FA or the draft, because not even REX is dumb enough to trust the worst rated QB in the league with his future. Although, he did stick with one of the all-time worst starting QB's for 4 tortuous years.

No worry, it shouldnt be difficult for REX to simply add another 8-8 line to the 8-8,6-10,8-8 lines already on his resume.

There was one game he didn't employ a punt returner. That is a fact.

His in game challenges and halftime adjustments are terrible.

Geno does not "got this". All he has got are the same questions he had before he was drafted.

Im stunned to find out this became a 'who gives a ****' situation. 

I disagree.

Less questions, way less, than when drafted. No clue what you expected or why, but his rookie year was not some sh*tshow. 18 TDs to 25 TOs from a rookie QB is not something to lament, particularly since he showed tools, brains, and a great makeup. This nonsense is all formalities, Geno has this.

Yeah if 4 years of Rex and no playoffs Rex is a goner and should be- so Woody has to eat some of his money-

Will Bevell still be available after 2014 or is hesigned on longer at Seattle? Not to worry however as WOODY always will outbid anyone for the right guy, right?

Will Bevell still be available after 2014 or is hesigned on longer at Seattle? Not to worry however as WOODY always will outbid anyone for the right guy, right?

Sorry I am not privy to contracts in the NFL-Let Idzik handle the matters like a GM is supposed to

Sorry I am not privy to contracts in the NFL-Let Idzik handle the matters like a GM is supposed to

Nah, its much more fun when the JetNation handles these matters. GM's are boring, JetNation is much more fun, and certainly more in tune than some GM. right?

Nah, its much more fun when the JetNation handles these matters. GM's are boring, JetNation is much more fun, and certainly more in tune than some GM. right?

Yeah fun

Tom Shane led group against Rex lover group- fun fun for moderators

No they aren't.

Yes they are:

Manish: If Rex Ryan delivers (playoffs), he sticks around beyond 2015.

Hubbuch:No way Rex is back in 2015 if he misses the playoffs.

Manish's twitter makes 2015 seem a given regardless of anything. Hubbuch's says he needs to make playoffs in 2014 to see 2015.

Entirey different.

Yes they are:

Manish: If Rex Ryan delivers (playoffs), he sticks around beyond 2015.

Hubbuch:No way Rex is back in 2015 if he misses the playoffs.

Manish's twitter makes 2015 seem a given regardless of anything. Hubbuch's says he needs to make playoffs in 2014 to see 2015.

Entirey different.

Theres no way on God's earth that REX could ever survive another non-playoff year. We already had one miracle this year that he survived, and if they dont make the playoffs next year and he survives, you can put that miracle right next to walking on water and parting the Red Sea.

Theres no way on God's earth that REX could ever survive another non-playoff year. We already had one miracle this year that he survived, and if they dont make the playoffs next year and he survives, you can put that miracle right next to walking on water and parting the Red Sea.

Woody has a man crush on REX