Jets and Rex reach "multi-year" extension, per Schefter

nj meadowlands

Never again will I willingly read a tale about the SS Indianopolis, not after what those sharks did to you, Herbie and the more than 800 other brave men aboard that ship. Those lifeless-eyed, godless killing machines tore through almost a thousand of Uncle Sam's finest and for what? Sport? Nah, f*ck them. You share the story of the time you were the inexperienced and unenthusiastic U.S. Navy lawyer, son of the famous Lionel Kaffee, former Navy Judge Advocate and Attorney General, of the United States and the time you got the eminent Colonel Jessup court-martialed for ignoring military law and ordering a code red on private santiago. Tell him about that, maybe he'll warm up to ya.

It's times like this, that making coming on this board worthwhile.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well all year many said Rex wouldn't be back in 2014.  So a lot has changed in that regard.  

I will repeat what I said, this deal is good because Rex still has a lot to prove.  They can't have him as a lame duck and they didn't over react and give him a 4 year extension.

They need to get more talent next year and let Rex earn more time here.  This is a good thing.

People were all excited when they thought the grown-up in the room was here to agree with them about Rex and make some sort of reactionary decision at the head coach spot after the season. That's not what adults do, though. Idzik is a pragmatic man, and here he made the pragmatic call.

Even the most arduous anti-Rex people acknowledge that he's a solid defensive mind. They also recognize that the players respond to the coach. Idzik can see this, too (probably better), and I'm sure he also recognizes that Rex didn't exactly have top-flight talent to work with this year. So without a clear-cut improvement waiting in the wings, he opts to retain Rex for another season. It's the smart move. Rex should have a lot more talent to work with next year, and getting back into the playoffs is a must. He'll be judged on his merits, just like he was this year in getting a sub-par roster to .500.

People were all excited when they thought the grown-up in the room was here to agree with them about Rex and make some sort of reactionary decision at the head coach spot after the season. That's not what adults do, though. Idzik is a pragmatic man, and here he made the pragmatic call.

A "reactionary decision" five years in the making. Rex was retained because he beat the Raiders and Browns. That's reactionary.

Even the most arduous anti-Rex people acknowledge that he's a solid defensive mind.

Zzzzzzz

They also recognize that the players respond to the coach

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Idzik can see this, too (probably better), and I'm sure he also recognizes that Rex didn't exactly have top-flight talent to work with this year. So without a clear-cut improvement waiting in the wings, he opts to retain Rex for another season. It's the smart move. Rex should have a lot more talent to work with next year, and getting back into the playoffs is a must. He'll be judged on his merits, just like he was this year in getting a sub-par roster to .500.

He'll get fired when Woody Johnson wants him fired. That's the bottom line.

Never again will I willingly read a tale about the SS Indianopolis, not after what those sharks did to you, Herbie and the more than 800 other brave men aboard that ship. Those lifeless-eyed, godless killing machines tore through almost a thousand of Uncle Sam's finest and for what? Sport? Nah, f*ck them. You share the story of the time you were the inexperienced and unenthusiastic U.S. Navy lawyer, son of the famous Lionel Kaffee, former Navy Judge Advocate and Attorney General, of the United States and the time you got the eminent Colonel Jessup court-martialed for ignoring military law and ordering a code red on private santiago. Tell him about that, maybe he'll warm up to ya.

*slow, sensual clapping*

A "reactionary decision" five years in the making. Rex was retained because he beat the Raiders and Browns. That's reactionary.

Zzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzz

You're so sad. I'm sorry. We should talk later when you're feeling better.

Chin up, little buddy!

Seriously, though... If Idzik wanted Rex fired after this season, and didn't put his foot down and tell Woody, "it's him or me," then this team has bigger problems than the head coach.

I think Idzik recognizes that Rex deserves a shot with some talent on the roster.

Why? There were games he was awful in an should have been benched sooner. Just because he had a few solid games down the stretch doesn't mean he's the second coming of Revis. The kid was handed a starting spot he didn't deserve week in and week out and it cost the Jets games.

Because he was a rookie playing a difficult position. It was always going to be a mediocre season at best and by throwing him in the fire rex probably accelerated his progress by at least a year. With a rookie you want to see improvement by the end of the season. Rex was confident we would see improvement and he was proven right.

Seriously, though... If Idzik wanted Rex fired after this season, and didn't put his foot down and tell Woody, "it's him or me," then this team has bigger problems than the head coach.

I think Idzik recognizes that Rex deserves a shot with some talent on the roster.

I think what's playing out is symptomatic of deep organizational dysfunction. The Raiders are in the exact same situation--coach heading into a show-me year, assistants being asked to take one-year deals by the owner--and are getting killed for it. The Jets are doing Raiders stuff here.

I think what's playing out is symptomatic of deep organizational dysfunction. The Raiders are in the exact same situation--coach heading into a show-me year, assistants being asked to take one-year deals by the owner--and are getting killed for it. The Jets are doing Raiders stuff here.

I think here, the coach and the QB are both in 'show me' years. If the Jets made a change at head coach, that head coach would likely be (at least somewhat) chained to Geno. I don't see Idzik making a major splash at QB this offseason no matter who the coach was gonna be, do you? So now, if the Rex/Geno tandem can't build on and improve upon last season, the team will move on from both of them. And that's the way it should be.

But I think the GM wants to give Rex another shot knowing how little he had to work with this year, and wants to give Geno a shot with the same offensive staff in place knowing how little he had to work with this year. I really don't think his hand was forced. I think he's simply doing the pragmatic thing.

I think here, the coach and the QB are both in 'show me' years. If the Jets made a change at head coach, that head coach would likely be (at least somewhat) chained to Geno. I don't see Idzik making a major splash at QB this offseason no matter who the coach was gonna be, do you? So now, if the Rex/Geno tandem can't build on and improve upon last season, the team will move on from both of them. And that's the way it should be.

But I think the GM wants to give Rex another shot knowing how little he had to work with this year, and wants to give Geno a shot with the same offensive staff in place knowing how little he had to work with this year. I really don't think his hand was forced. I think he's simply doing the pragmatic thing.

RE: the quarterback, I think Idzik is fully vested in this coming year and won't, under any circumstances, go into next season without serious investment at the QB position, meaning a high-end FA pickup, as well as a relatively high draft pick. I don't think the near future is as reliant on Geno as it might appear right now.

As to the second part, I guess it depends on how you define pragmatic. Going scorched earth could have been portrayed as pragmatism here, considering the results of the past three years. On the other hand, giving another year to a coach that the owner likes in what the media pre-ordained as a popular move could also be considered pragmatic.

RE: the quarterback, I think Idzik is fully vested in this coming year and won't, under any circumstances, go into next season without serious investment at the QB position, meaning a high-end FA pickup, as well as a relatively high draft pick. I don't think the near future is as reliant on Geno as it might appear right now.

As to the second part, I guess it depends on how you define pragmatic. Going scorched earth could have been portrayed as pragmatism here, considering the results of the past three years. On the other hand, giving another year to a coach that the owner likes in what the media pre-ordained as a popular move could also be considered pragmatic.

This was fan driven, plain and simple.

Rex has the fans bamboozled, they want him back , Woody wants PSLs=pragmatism baby!

This was fan driven, plain and simple.

Rex has the fans bamboozled, they want him back , Woody wants PSLs=pragmatism baby!

I think that's definitely part of it. Woody's Jets have historically spent way too much time worrying about what's being said about them as a franchise, and way too much time trying to get themselves on the back pages.

Honestly thought there'd be a bigger meltdown. Anyway, I'm glad. Give Rex a few more pieces and see what happens. I've been waiting 30 plus years a few more won't kill me.

It wasn't a rage-melt because this has been coming for weeks. This was just a sit-on-the-couch-and-drink-a-couple-of-Labatt-tallboys-in-silence-meltdown.

For the first part, I think I'd be surprised if he drafted a QB higher than the fourth round, and the free agent market looks like crap. But if he does something positive for the QB situation, that'll be good. I hope he does.

For the second part, you disagreed with me last year back when Idzik was first hired and I said he'd give Rex a fair shot while you were certain he'd be fired by now, you're free to disagree with me again.

Just wait until they also bring Sanchez back.

If they do, it's certainly not going to be under his current contract. Thus far, there's nothing that Idzik has done to give the impression he's willing to just hemorrhage money. Plus, if this is all about public perception as many are alluding to, then there's < 0% change that Mark's back, that would cause a state wide bitch-fit, and deservedly so.

Yeah, if we can't trust Idzik to overrule Woody, how can we trust him with anything else?

Everyone assumed, for some reason, that because Woody said that Idzik was hired with the understanding that Rex gets at least one more year, that it meant that after the first year, Idzik can fire Rex at will.

Of course, it meant that if after the first year, Idzik wanted Rex gone he would have to convince Woody first.

The Jets are rewarding Rex Ryan for mediocrity and missing playoffs 3 consecutive times. Well this proves Jets always settle for Mediocrity and the owner is oblivious. They should of atleast waited after next season to decide whether Rex was the  right coach or not. Rex probably talked the owner into giving him another chance with a lousy .500 record last season. This is  why the Jets haven't won a super bowl since the 1st moon landing and Joe Namaths Guarantee. This organization needs to get smarter and stop falling for these charades. Rex better figure out a way to win something relevant soon maybe a division title because they can forget a superbowl any time soon because the jets history shows they are too inept to get a championship.

The Jets are rewarding Rex Ryan for mediocrity and missing playoffs 3 consecutive times. Well this proves Jets always settle for Mediocrity and the owner is oblivious. They should of atleast waited after next season to decide whether Rex was the  right coach or not. Rex probably talked the owner into giving him another chance with a lousy .500 record last season. This is  why the Jets haven't won a super bowl since the 1st moon landing and Joe Namaths Guarantee. This organization needs to get smarter and stop falling for these charades. Rex better figure out a way to win something relevant soon maybe a division title because they can forget a superbowl any time soon because the jets history shows they are too inept to get a championship.

Got to disagree with you.  This is a break from the SOJ FO behavior.  The old Jets would have surely fired Rex, and had to start rebuilding with new asst coaches. A whole new program.  Just look at their history.  5 and out repetitively.  

They can still fire Rex if he fails, it will just cost Woody a few million more.  This is a good deal for both sides.  If he wins he stays.  If he loses he goes.   

NY Jets brass gives Rex Ryan plenty of incentive to succeed

Although Ryan, signed through 2014 in his previous deal, technically inked a multi-year extension, the reality reveals a much less secure future for him.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

FRIDAY, JANUARY 17, 2014, 12:41 AM

MARK BONIFACIO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

This is not a stress-free situation, but Rex Ryan’s thicket of gray hair can’t get any grayer, I suppose.

Woody Johnson and John Idzik shrewdly tossed convention to the sideline Thursday to create the perception that their beloved head coach is absolutely a part of the organization’s long-range plans.

Rex Ryan, of course, will still be coaching for his job in 2014.

Less than three weeks after Johnson’s announcement in Miami that Ryan would be retained set off celebratory chaos in the Jets locker room and brought the sweater-vested coach to tears, the team removed his lame-duck status. Although Ryan, signed through 2014 in his previous deal, technically inked a multi-year extension, the reality reveals a much less secure future for him.

The Jets can effectively opt out of the contract after the 2015 season because any salary Ryan is owed beyond that is not fully guaranteed — if at all — according to a source familiar with the extension. Ryan’s deal is incentivized for playoff success, so if he fails to deliver, the Jets have a financially friendly escape hatch.

It’s a fair compromise for a coach who missed the playoffs the past three seasons and an organization that wanted protection and freedom to move on if Ryan falters. It was a master stroke by Idzik and Johnson, who created a short-term, performance-based path for their head coach.

“It’s a win-win for the GM,” a source familiar with the details of the extension told the Daily News.

Ryan wanted a long-term extension, but didn’t have any leverage since he hasn’t made the playoffs since 2010. This is not a stress-free situation, but Ryan’s thicket of gray hair can’t get any grayer, I suppose.

“I’m an ordinary guy that’s been given an unbelievable opportunity,” Ryan said in comments distributed by the team after the announcement of the extension. “I’ve said all along, I’m glad to be a Jet, I’m happy to be a Jet. That’s never changed. I know what we all want and we’re striving to get there.”

Although Idzik said that he’s “joined at the hip” with Ryan a few weeks ago, the GM hasn’t let the “fun” experiences with the head coach cloud the bottom line: Winning.

“Rex and I have worked well since I got here and have the same vision for this football team,” Idzik said on Thursday. “We are fortunate to have him as our head coach. . . . We’re all in this together. We are all governed by the same motives and that is to build a perennial winner here with the Jets.”

GM John Idzik hasn’t let the 'fun' experiences with Rex Ryan cloud the bottom line: winning.

JULIO CORTEZ/AP

GM John Idzik hasn’t let the 'fun' experiences with Rex Ryan cloud the bottom line: winning.

For all of Ryan’s admirable traits, the cut-throat bottom line in this cut-throat, bottom-line business is that the Jets have had three consecutive non-winning seasons under him. Although league executives I spoke to in the past few weeks praised Ryan for his ability to squeeze eight wins out of a talent-deficient team this season, some questioned his viability with the Jets past 2014 even before a contract extension was reached.

How many coaches stick around after missing the playoffs for four consecutive seasons?

The framework of the extension makes perfect sense for Idzik, who can still cut bait and hire a hand-picked successor if the Jets disappoint next season. Idzik would be happy to spend many more working nights with Ryan if the Jets make the playoffs in 2014.

The GM really can’t lose.

The Jets could have given Ryan more security with a standard two-year extension and eliminated the speculation about his future that was a running theme in 2013. Now, that narrative will extend into 2014.

Johnson could fire Ryan after the 2014 season if he’s willing to pay the coach’s 2015 salary. Give Johnson and Idzik a couple shots of truth serum and they’ll tell you there’s little chance Ryan comes back in 2015 if the Jets regress next season.

It’s silly to think this extension makes Ryan safe from next year’s Black Monday, but the perception that the Jets are fully committed to their head coach for multiple years will certainly help bring back many key assistants that helped the team overachieve at 8-8 this season. The Jets have about a half dozen key assistant coaches with expiring contracts who will likely be signed to new deals now that Ryan’s extension is in the books.

Strip away the complexities of the deal, and here’s what remains: Ryan guaranteed himself a few more million dollars (his 2015 salary).

But his seat hasn’t cooled. It’s still simmering.

So, Rex will have to bet on Rex, which is the closest thing to a sure thing in his mind.

Twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jet-brass-rex-plenty-incentive-succeed-article-1.1582700#ixzz2qea86iLe

An Ex "celebrity" poster PatsTX, noted for his highly "positive" out look on all things Jets.

Funny, people always ask why arent you more "positive" about the Jets and I say " I am" just watch:

I am POSITIVE Geno is an awful QB

I am POSITIVE Rex is an awful coach

I am POSITIVE the Jets should get Johnny Jet

I am POSITIVE the Jets had plenty of weapons this year

I am POSITIVE Sanchez is an all-time worst QB

See, I told you I could be POSITIVE

Archived