Jets to host Decker in unofficial FA 'visit'

F.Chowds

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO Decker is a real shot due to his media whore driven wife. But he'll get overpaid as a #1 when he's really a solid #2.

If Decker is a top tem WR the past 2 years and also played well with Teblow at QB he is a number 1 WR maybe not of the elite status but hes certainly good enough to be a number 1 on more than half the teams in this league. What else would you propose at WR Hess ? You grab Decker or Graham if at all possible and draft a boat load of skill players which this team needed to do for a very long time. Our offensive skill positions have been neglected long enough

He was better than Demarius without Manning and catching passes from Tebow. So, probably a little more than just Manning.

Was he? Or was Tebow just better at getting him the ball? Like, more chemistry. I mean, there's no question that Randy Moss was better than Welker, but Welker often out-produced him with the Patriots because of the chemistry with Brady.

Hard to say take player X from team A and plug him into team B and voila! 

5 less catches that Thomas and 6 less targets. He could be a #1 receiver in the right offense. This one led by Geno Smith is not conducive to that.

I guess i going beyond just the numbers. Who gives defensive coordinators more concerns. It has to be Demaryius not Decker when facing the Broncos. That's why Aqib Talib was matched up against him in Sunday's game.

Decker can be a good WR as you say in the right offense where there is another legit #1 threat.

Was he? Or was Tebow just better at getting him the ball? Like, more chemistry. I mean, there's no question that Randy Moss was better than Welker, but Welker often out-produced him with the Patriots because of the chemistry with Brady.

Hard to say take player X from team A and plug him into team B and voila! 

True, but I'd say Decker is legit after catching a lot of passes from two different QB's.  Especially when the former was a lefty who couldn't football.

I just don't see why he'd come here when he could go play with Luck.  And I don't think he's worth WR1 money.  No one currently on the market really is.

I suspect Idzik will stay away from the top of the market and bring in two of the second/third tier type guys e.g. Danario Alexander, Brandon Lafell, Kenny Britt, Robert Meachem, Mario Manningham, Louis Murphy (Sanjay connection) etc. From what the Jets' FO has seen with Holmes and Idzik saw in Seattle with Sidney Rice, they may not be willing to dole out big contracts for some of these guys. (Sidney Rice will probably be cut, he's not a bad option to kick the tires on either).

Personally, if we make a big splash in FA, I feel it'll be for someone like TJ Ward (if he's not franchised) or Jarius Byrd. I think a big time safety and a couple middle WRs would go a lot further than grabbing Decker.  Then again, I could totally be wrong, they sign Decker/Nicks and go after Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor in the first round.

Byrd would be awesome. Orakpo could make some sense as well as a splashy FA move that fills a need. Idzik certainly has plenty of cap space to work with - though I think priority #1 should be getting Mo locked up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they signed a guy with injury questions (Nicks, Maclin) to a one year deal. Or if they can get Sanders or Tate to agree to a reasonable deal for WR2 money.

Nobody does grilled Pork Roll and Cheese sandwiches like "Joysey" Out here in Pa. deli cooks give me the blank stare like "WTF are you talking about?"

On Melrose avenue in LA a few years ago I ordered a Pork role egg and cheese sandwich after they had no idea what Taylor ham was.

When the waiter returned I was amazed to see a friggin pork chop (with the bone in)  on a bun with melted cheese on it.... I have to say it was pretty good though   :D

I suspect Idzik will stay away from the top of the market and bring in two of the second/third tier type guys e.g. Danario Alexander, Brandon Lafell, Kenny Britt, Robert Meachem, Mario Manningham, Louis Murphy (Sanjay connection) etc. From what the Jets' FO has seen with Holmes and Idzik saw in Seattle with Sidney Rice, they may not be willing to dole out big contracts for some of these guys. (Sidney Rice will probably be cut, he's not a bad option to kick the tires on either).

Personally, if we make a big splash in FA, I feel it'll be for someone like TJ Ward (if he's not franchised) or Jarius Byrd. I think a big time safety and a couple middle WRs would go a lot further than grabbing Decker.  Then again, I could totally be wrong, they sign Decker/Nicks and go after Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor in the first round.

I'm fine with not making a big splash.  I think I'm on record as liking Danario Alexander.  Lafell wouldn't be bad.  I sort of feel about Lafell like I do about Decker.  I think they will be good, but no faith they will great.  Obviously I'd rather have Decker, but my feeling is of similarity comes from the idea that Lafell will get a much cheaper deal. Manningham may be done with the knee and is not the sharpest tool in the shed.  Not sure he'd fit in.  I really liked Meachem coming out, but seems to be a not much and did not exactly mesh with Rivers.  I think they had a shot at Murphy last year and he went with the Giants.  Interesting thing about Murphy is that I thought he was going to break out.  He had a couple of fairly effective seasons with Jamarcus and Campbell throwing and then he fell off the face of the earth when he got a decent QB - first Palmer, then Cam Newton and Eli and he did nothing.  Apparently his catch rate is fairly miserable, but those advanced stats are a bit of a mystery to me. 

On Melrose avenue in LA a few years ago I ordered a Pork role egg and cheese sandwich after they had no idea what Taylor ham was.

When the waiter returned I was amazed to see a friggin pork chop (with the bone in)  on a bun with melted cheese on it.... I have to say it was pretty good though   :biggrin:

That's a classic. RemindS me of the movie " A Christmas Story" when they go out to Christmas dinner at a Chinese Restaurant 'cause nothing else is open (those Pagans)

They order a Turkey dinner and the guy brings out a Goose with the head still on it,

Funny Stuff!

"RA-RA-RA-RA-RAAAA..... RA-RA-RA-RA"!

The Packers never spend in free agency. I'd be shocked if they even had Decker in for a visit.

Yeah, GB's a crazy guess (as in a crazy bad guess) at Decker's landing spot.  They already have quality WRs and half the purpose of throwing $20M+ per year at a great QB is that they don't need to give $10M/year FA contracts to the likes of Eric Decker.  Possible, technically, but I don't see it happening.  They're more likely to just re-sign Jones.  Nelson and Cobb are both UFAs in 2015 so they have to be looking at one or both of them to bring back as well (depending on what they do with Jones).  They also like to draft WRs and let them go if they get too expensive.  They've done a good job on that front, but everyone looks better when the QB fits a 6" diameter ball into a 7" window from 15-20 yards away on a rope. Then someone like Jennings goes to Minnesota and puts up Jets #1 WR numbers rather than Packers #1 WR numbers. Go figure.

Indy is a possibility.  Though good points were brought up as to why they may shy away, Wayne is entering the final season of his contract, is coming off a bad mid-season knee injury, and at age 35 is a decent candidate to get cut outright to clear another couple million depending on his rehab progress.  Even if rehab is going well, they'd be foolish to bank on him coming back as a starter and playing at a super-high level next year when he turns 36 mid-season.  Actually thinking about it now, they're a great landing spot for him if they want to spend on the position.  Then again, they may just draft someone.  They really need help on their OL despite spending some good money there recently.  Over-spending badly in the case of Cherilus. 

I just think someone like Decker is more likely to go to a team like the Jets or someone in a similar situation.  Basically, a team so devoid of really good WRs they are more likely to take a shot and pay him #1 WR money than a team looking to add him to complement an already-productive group.  Indy could be a landing spot, but then again they may look to the draft since they aren't in as dire straits for a guy who MUST produce immediately like the Jets.  FA WRs like this are more likely to go to the most desperate team than to the best theoretical fit on an already-good offense.  It is unusual for a Wes Welker to go to the Broncos.  Usually with these higher-priced #2 (or up to 1A type) FA WRs it's Berrian/Jennings going to Minnesota, Houshmandzadeh/Rice going to Seattle, Wallace to Miami, Givens to Tennessee (remember him?), Jerry Porter to the Jaguars, etc.  They go to the highest bidder, and typically the highest bidder is the team that needs help at that position the most (provided they have the cap room to make the splash).

He's a number true #1, and has been since his days at Minnesota.  

Check out the catch at 1:33, and 2:11.  He would bail out our QB (whoever that may be)

The ability to pull away at 1:49, the route running at 3:26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8hjS0wKq8

All the anti-Decker arguments are sort of pointless.  If we get him, does he instantly become our best receiving threat?  Yes.  Definitely, absolutely and unquestionably.  The question is at what price?  He's not an elite.  He can change a game, though.  And he can "go get it" with his size and athleticism, which is something we've sorely lacked the last two years--since Braylon.  

This.  That WR corps is one injury away from a disaster at all times.  With Wayne nearing retirement, Decker could become Luck's favorite target for about a decade.

I could see Luck and Decker thriving.  Wayne, Hilton, Decker....Luck would be delirious. 

• 2 weeks later...

If we "hosted" Decker in an pseudo-visit, might as well say the same for Seattle and Golden Tate. 

Free agent Golden Tate told Sports Radio 950 KJR in Seattle that he's "very willing" to take a hometown discount with the Seahawks.
"I probably shouldn’t even say this right now but I’m going to say it anyway just because I love Seattle, honestly," said Tate. "I would rather take a little less to be happy and win ballgames than to take way more and go to a crappy city where the fans don’t give a crap about the team." Tate would need to take a hometown discount for the Seahawks to afford him. Just how much of a discount he's willing to take will determine whether he stays put.

While it certainly sounds like he's got his head on straight and wants to win games, I would imagine it's going to be hard to turn down and extra few million dollars a year, especially when he already has a ring. Seattle is going to be pretty cash-strapped with having to pay Wilson and Earl Thomas soon and that's assuming they let Sherman eventually walk.  From all reports it appears as though they favor Baldwin over Tate, so it's hard to see them offering Tate enough money to get him to stay there. 

If we "hosted" Decker in an pseudo-visit, might as well say the same for Seattle and Golden Tate. 

Free agent Golden Tate told Sports Radio 950 KJR in Seattle that he's "very willing" to take a hometown discount with the Seahawks.
"I probably shouldn’t even say this right now but I’m going to say it anyway just because I love Seattle, honestly," said Tate. "I would rather take a little less to be happy and win ballgames than to take way more and go to a crappy city where the fans don’t give a crap about the team." Tate would need to take a hometown discount for the Seahawks to afford him. Just how much of a discount he's willing to take will determine whether he stays put.

While it certainly sounds like he's got his head on straight and wants to win games, I would imagine it's going to be hard to turn down and extra few million dollars a year, especially when he already has a ring. Seattle is going to be pretty cash-strapped with having to pay Wilson and Earl Thomas soon and that's assuming they let Sherman eventually walk.  From all reports it appears as though they favor Baldwin over Tate, so it's hard to see them offering Tate enough money to get him to stay there. 

The problem with this is he just won a super bowl, he's on a team that is young and has great players, he plays for a city that has the 12th man,  he plays with a young QB who is pretty damn good, and he plays for a coach most others around the league would love to play for.       

it is a business, but at the end of the day, most people would rather win super bowls over making a few extra thousand bucks.   The greedy ones wind up like Revis and wind up on crappy teams that nobody gives a damn about. And really they don't make a huge difference anyway in wins or losses because the team still stinks with or without them.     

So unless the Jets offer him or Decker far more money than anybody else, why would any talented WR come to a team who doesn't have a QB anybody on the team supports, doesn't have any other talent on offense, and has a HC who most people think doesn't give a crap about offense as it is.    Unless that player is all about the money, he's probably going to take other offers.     And to me, players who are all about the money and nothing else, don't always turn out well.

Decker is not even #1 on the Broncos....the JETS need to add a legit #1 WR.

I do not see any shortcuts here. There are not many in the FA market that can be legit #1's. There could be some calculated risk the JETS can take on with players coming from injury like Maclin. Decker might not be the answer. The JETS will have to draft WR's with their first few picks in this draft.

Deckers the best FA option, I mean he was number 2 behind bay bay Thomas who's far from average, I could argue bay bay is a top 5 wide out.

The problem with this is he just won a super bowl, he's on a team that is young and has great players, he plays for a city that has the 12th man,  he plays with a young QB who is pretty damn good, and he plays for a coach most others around the league would love to play for.       

it is a business, but at the end of the day, most people would rather win super bowls over making a few extra thousand bucks.   The greedy ones wind up like Revis and wind up on crappy teams that nobody gives a damn about. And really they don't make a huge difference anyway in wins or losses because the team still stinks with or without them.     

So unless the Jets offer him or Decker far more money than anybody else, why would any talented WR come to a team who doesn't have a QB anybody on the team supports, doesn't have any other talent on offense, and has a HC who most people think doesn't give a crap about offense as it is.    Unless that player is all about the money, he's probably going to take other offers.     And to me, players who are all about the money and nothing else, don't always turn out well.

Clearly, if it's only over a few thousand dollars, Tate would just stay where he wants to. However, in order to stay in Seattle, he's most likely going to have to take a multi-million dollar pay cut, which is a lot easier to say you'll turn down than actually do.  There's a lot of grey area between being a martyr and being Revis in the picture that you are painting. 

Seattle is talking about cutting and restructuring Rice, Bryant, Mebane and Clemons just to fit guys under their cap in the future. They already prefer Baldwin to Tate, so it's going to be a huge discount he'll have to give. 

Clearly, if it's only over a few thousand dollars, Tate would just stay where he wants to. However, in order to stay in Seattle, he's most likely going to have to take a multi-million dollar pay cut, which is a lot easier to say you'll turn down than actually do.  There's a lot of grey area between being a martyr and being Revis in the picture that you are painting. 

Seattle is talking about cutting and restructuring or cutting Rice, Bryant, Mebane and Clemons just to fit guys under their cap in the future. They already prefer Baldwin to Tate, so it's going to be a huge discount he'll have to give. 

Thousand/Million Potato/Potahto

I like Decker a lot, but paying a premium for what he does is not the move for the Jets right now.  Try building through the draft and use free agency when needed.  This draft is loaded with receivers.  Get good young bodies for Mornhinweg to bring along.

Decker is not even #1 on the Broncos....the JETS need to add a legit #1 WR.

I do not see any shortcuts here. There are not many in the FA market that can be legit #1's. There could be some calculated risk the JETS can take on with players coming from injury like Maclin. Decker might not be the answer. The JETS will have to draft WR's with their first few picks in this draft.

Exactly, Deck is another Nelson, we meed a blazer who is faster than everyone else, like Santana Moss

used to be, speed is the only thing that matters, can't cover a guy with Moss or Wesley Walkers speed.

I want the fastest guy who gets  open and scores.  All else is irrelevant.  

Judging from Hill's progress, we still need a receivers coach, Hill is more a couching issue than anything

else, he looked good in several games and has made big catches, why is he being taken out of every game?

One person's take on Decker (whose "official" drop rate on the season was lower than I expected, as I recall seeing a bunch of easy ones dropped).  Again, it is only one guy's opinion (Bleacher Report), but I don't necessarily give more credence to someone's opinion because he landed a job at a famous newspaper (see Mehta, Manish), and he seems to watch Decker closely.  Also keep in mind that this was written in mid-November and Decker had 8 TDs in December so if his TD total sounds low that's why.  

Anyway (in red was my emphasis):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1848836-denver-broncos-how-good-is-eric-decker

Denver Broncos: Breaking Down Why Eric Decker Is Overrated By Baily DeeterSenior Writer

Nov 17, 2013

Don't judge a book by its cover.

On the outside, Eric Decker seems like a valuable receiver who can catch passes and score touchdowns. He has 16 touchdowns since the start of the 2012 season, and he has 721 yards receiving this year as well.

He has those decent numbers largely because of his phenomenal route running. And because of those decent numbers, he has received lots of praise from Denver Broncos fans and analysts everywhere.

But does he really deserve it?

Decker is big and strong, but he can't blow by anyone. According to ESPN, he has a 4.56 40-yard dash, so he definitely isn't great in the speed department. In addition, his hands aren't spectacular.

According to Philly.com's Jimmy Kempski, Decker had six drops by Week 4. He currently has seven drops this year, and he's still been better with his hands this year than he has been in most years. He also has six fumbles in his four years.

Decker has cost Denver with some blown plays, and many of those show up on advanced and basic stat sheets. Still, those don't even include jump-ball passes he has neglected to go after.

Decker, as Mile High Report noted, calls for pass interference a lot. He also tends to refrain from going up for deep passes, failing to use his bulky frame to his advantage. Instead, he whines for calls during plays, which is nothing short of absolutely ridiculous.

Also, he gets thrown off when jammed at the line or bumped downfield, which is another major weakness of his.

Receivers who rely heavily on pass interference calls aren't likely to succeed consistently; those flags
aren't always going to come. When they don't, Decker isn't able to succeed. And if he wants to succeed consistently, he's going to have to clean that up.

He's also going to need to clean up his drop rate. It's currently a miserable 12.5 percent, and that doesn't include many catches he should have made that aren't classified as drops. He can make some nice catches, but he drops far too many passes.

Additionally, it hasn't been just this year. He finished fifth in total drops last year, and, according to Pro Football Focus, he had a 12.37 percent drop rate.

He avenged his drops with touchdowns last year, but this year he only has three touchdowns. Decker made a name for himself as Peyton Manning's red-zone target last year, but this year, it's been Wes Welker catching those passes at the goal line. Decker occasionally beats his cornerback and makes a play, but he isn't a big-play threat or a receiver with reliable hands.

That holds true despite Decker receiving single coverage against mediocre corners at almost all times (thanks to Demaryius Thomas) and having safeties focused on other people (thanks to Thomas, Welker and Julius Thomas). Even with that, Decker is averaging fewer than 5.5 catches per game.

That's not bad, but it's not great.

And it certainly isn't enough for him to deserve the praise he's been garnering.

Some of that praise came from The Denver Post, which wrote that Decker is Manning's go-to target after Decker's Week 7 explosion. However, since then, Decker has struggled mightily. He struggles against fast cornerbacks, ones who can recover even if Decker runs a good route and they fall behind.

If Decker were a go-to receiver, he would almost always face those fast, athletic corners. And it's safe to say he would struggle.

He is fairly valuable as Denver's second-best receiver, but he would become a huge bust as a team's go-to receiver. He can ruin a quarterback's confidence in him with drops; not every quarterback has as much confidence in his receivers as Manning.

Decker is having a nice run, but don't be fooled by his receiving yardage. Decker is likely Denver's fourth-best pass catcher, and he is a dispensable player.

So, if he ever gets a chance to be a team's top receiver (it could even happen after this year), don't be surprised if he struggles.

Archived