"[Sanchez] would be the starter for us as soon as he walked in the door"

T0mShane

MOBILE, Ala. — As NFL teams begin mapping out their offseasons, most are assuming Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez will be cut and become a free agent … and some are excited about it.

One coach of a quarterback-needy team said his team already has discussed Sanchez internally as an option to be its starting quarterback in 2014.

“We’d take Sanchez,” the coach said. “He’d be the starter as soon as he walked in the door for us.”

That quote may be surprising to Jets fans, who saw Sanchez turn the ball over 52 times between 2011 and 2012 before missing last season with a torn labrum in his right shoulder. But it’s hard to find quarterbacks in the NFL, Sanchez is just 27, has won four playoff games and threw 26 touchdown passes in 2011. Many teams view the deterioration of the Jets’ offensive roster around Sanchez as the problem that held him back.

The Jets are being tight-lipped when it comes to their plans for Sanchez, who has three years left on his contract. But he has a $13.1 million salary-cap figure for 2014 and the Jets would save $8.3 million against the cap by releasing him.

Those figures plus the Jets turning to Geno Smith last season have made many around the league expect Sanchez to hit the open market.

“I don’t think there’s any reason to think that the team would keep him,” said a team executive, who said when he evaluated rosters, he marked Sanchez down as a salary-cap casualty.

The quarterback market in free agency is very thin this year. Michael Vick, Josh McCown, Josh Freeman, Shaun Hill and Chad Henne are the top quarterbacks scheduled to hit free agency. Matt Schaub also is expected to be released by the Texans and join that group. Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr could all be quarterbacks taken in the first round of the NFL Draft.

The large number of teams that need a starting or backup quarterback, plus the limited options, will make Sanchez an attractive option to somebody.

“Supply and demand,” the executive said when asked why Sanchez will draw attention if he hits free agency.

Sanchez is currently rehabilitating his right shoulder in Birmingham, Ala. He had surgery in October on the shoulder after injuring it in an August preseason game. The No. 5 overall pick by the Jets in 2009 could be in his final weeks with the team. He is owed a $2 million roster bonus in March. If the Jets release him, it likely will come in February.

Jets general manager John Idzik was noncommittal when asked about Sanchez at his season-ending press conference.

“We’ll get to that in time,” he said last month. “He is a Jet. We consider all our guys Jets until we make a decision or something happens that changes that. So with Mark, I met with him yesterday as well, our focus is to get him healthy, just as it has been really the entire season and then we’ll take it from there.”

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oakland?

Cleveland?  Probably not...dont think Lombardi would make such a claim.

Jax?  He's not better than Henne and they're all about an open competition, so doubt Caldwell would say that.

Houston?  maybe

Min?  Not better than Cassell

St. Louis?  Maybe with the Schotty connnection

Really?  St. Louis is fully invested in Sam Bradford.  Not a possibility whatsoever that this came from them. 

Minnesota and Oakland are the top 2 possibilities.  Houston a dark horse candidate.  It's too early to tell but it doesn't seem they're too enthused to have the # 1 pick OR seem like they're sold on Bridgewater or any of the other QB's at that spot.

"Many teams view the deterioration of the Jets’ offensive roster around Sanchez as the problem that held him back."

is there an echo in here?

He sucked even when the offense around him was good.  Enough with this.  If he'd been some stud his first two years here you'd have a case.  But he wasn't.  He was always a bottom 5 guy statistically and never passed the eye test.

All this article proves is that there are a lot of morons in the NFL who think they can mold some reclamation project into gold.  The same team(s) that is/are saying this are the laughingstock of the league, and for good reason.

Really?  St. Louis is fully invested in Sam Bradford.  Not a possibility whatsoever that this came from them. 

Minnesota and Oakland are the top 2 possibilities.  Houston a dark horse candidate.  It's too early to tell but it doesn't seem they're too enthused to have the # 1 pick OR seem like they're sold on Bridgewater or any of the other QB's at that spot.

No possiblity?  Fully invested?  In an eggshell?  Doubt it.  Might not be them as I doubt they hand Sanchez the starting job but I wouldnt be surprised if the idea of moving on from Bradford has been kicked around plenty of times.  He's a pussy.  Nobody wants a pussy QB.

No possiblity?  Fully invested?  In an eggshell?  Doubt it.  Might not be them as I doubt they hand Sanchez the starting job but I wouldnt be surprised if the idea of moving on from Bradford has been kicked around plenty of times.  He's a pussy.  Nobody wants a pussy QB.

They're paying him entirely too much money not to start him.  Remember, he was a # 1 pick under the OLD contract structure that paid him a King's ransom. 

Moreover, he's signed thru 2015 and they had been talking about a contract extension before AND after the injury.  Bradford is their guy, even if he is only the 3rd best QB in the division.

Oakland?

Cleveland?  Probably not...dont think Lombardi would make such a claim.

Jax?  He's not better than Henne and they're all about an open competition, so doubt Caldwell would say that.

Houston?  maybe

Min?  Not better than Cassell

If you like to rubberneck car and train wrecks this is the reunion to cross your fingers for. 

all Sanchez stuff aside, STL can't really be wedded to Bradford. He's always injured and Jeff FIsher didn't draft him. 

They kind of have no other choice.  They're not drafting a QB at 2.  Not to mention Bradford had 14 TD's and only 4 INT's and 6.8 YPA before he got hurt.  He's not great but with the desolate QB market out there they're not moving on from him anytime soon. 

The Rams played very well down the stretch and if Bradford had been there maybe they make a playoff push.  They've surrounded him with some nice talent in the wake of the RGIII deal.  Robert Quinn may win Defensive Player of the Year.  Zac Stacy looks like a stud.  They may get Clowney and/or trade down from 2 to get a topflight WR.  They also have the 13th pick.

They're paying him entirely too much money not to start him.  Remember, he was a # 1 pick under the OLD contract structure that paid him a King's ransom. 

Moreover, he's signed thru 2015 and they had been talking about a contract extension before AND after the injury.  Bradford is their guy, even if he is only the 3rd best QB in the division.

None of that matters...if you cant finish a season, you're worthless.  The Rams are well aware. 

None of that matters...if you cant finish a season, you're worthless.  The Rams are well aware. 

Aware of what?  What are they going to do, cut him because he suffered a freak ACL tear that could happen to anyone?  He didn't miss a single game in 2010 or 2012, mind you. 

If he was still having shoulder issues from college that would make some sense, but he's not.  He had a high ankle sprain in '11 and the ACL tear this year.  His arm is fine.

agree, thats his most likely landing spot...

If some other team is saying they'd start Sanchez Week 1, why would Sanchez accept a backup job for St. Louis?

And why would Schottenheimer want him there?  Sanchez is the biggest reason he got fired here and fell out of the running for HC jobs.  If Bradford really is injury prone like JiF says, no chance Schottenheimer would want Sanchez as the next guy in.

Aware of what?  What are they going to do, cut him because he suffered a freak ACL tear that could happen to anyone?  He didn't miss a single game in 2010 or 2012, mind you. 

If he was still having shoulder issues from college that would make some sense, but he's not.  He had a high ankle sprain in '11 and the ACL tear this year.  His arm is fine.

He has a history of injury problems going back to college...thats what the Rams are aware of.  Are you denying that?

He's a risk.  You dont want risks at the QB position.  He's not very good to begin with...couple that with worrying every year if he can finish the season.  You're crazy if you think they're married to Bradford.

If some other team is saying they'd start Sanchez Week 1, why would Sanchez accept a backup job for St. Louis?

And why would Schottenheimer want him there?  Sanchez is the biggest reason he got fired here and fell out of the running for HC jobs.  If Bradford really is injury prone like JiF says, no chance Schottenheimer would want Sanchez as the next guy in.

cause I think  smoke is being blown.

he wont have starting job waiting for him IMHO. Best backup spot is his goal where he can inherit starting job via injury/bad play.

Rams would be good fit as BACKUP since he knows system and will come cheap IMHO.

You're crazy if you think they're married to Bradford.

In 2014 they absolutely are.  And almost assuredly longer than that.  They've been going out of their way to reiterate to the fans that he's "their guy". 

They aren't a New York franchise. For a franchise that has been so horrible since the Warner days (only 1 winning season since 2003, I believe) and has had expectations lowered significantly, they know they could do much worse than Bradford.  And personality-wise, he's got everything you look for out of a "Face for the Franchise".....whether he deserves that title or not. 

We've seen guys like Flacco and Cutler getting paid so it's not like we've seen other questionable QB's being made to be "the guy".  He'll likely have his contract restructured with some years tacked on.

cause I think  smoke is being blown.

he wont have starting job waiting for him IMHO. Best backup spot is his goal where he can inherit starting job via injury/bad play.

Rams would be good fit as BACKUP since he knows system and will come cheap IMHO.

FWIW - in adddition to Bradford's injury problems, he's terrible.  He rates out as one of the worst QB's in the league.  4 seasons.  He's got like an 15-30 record, didnt finish 2 of them, never had a completion percentage better than 60% and he's due like 17.9 next season.  If the Rams cut him, I think they save like 10-12 mil.

FWIW - in adddition to Bradford's injury problems, he's terrible.  He rates out as one of the worst QB's in the league.  4 seasons.  He's got like an 15-30 record, didnt finish 2 of them, never had a completion percentage better than 60% and he's due like 17.9 next season.  If the Rams cut him, I think they save like 10-12 mil.

I mean you can throw out all the numbers you want.  Bottom line is they're not cutting him.  They're building around him.  The Rams seem to feel Bradford didn't have enough talent around him.  This year he did, and he had a 60+ comp %, 14 TD's and 4 INT's before he went down.  Next year he'll have even more talent coming in.

Yes, he's overpaid.  Which is why they'll likely be RESTRUCTURING his contract to save money.  But they're not using all these draft picks on guys like Tavon Austin and whichever WR they take this year so they can build around a '14 or '15 rookie.  Not happening.

In 2014 they absolutely are.  And almost assuredly longer than that.  They've been going out of their way to reiterate to the fans that he's "their guy". 

They aren't a New York franchise. For a franchise that has been so horrible since the Warner days (only 1 winning season since 2003, I believe) and has had expectations lowered significantly, they know they could do much worse than Bradford.  And personality-wise, he's got everything you look for out of a "Face for the Franchise".....whether he deserves that title or not. 

He's terrible dude, not too many QB's grade out worse.  Nobody is married to guy with a career record of 15-30-1 or whatever it is.  Nobody is married to a below 60% completion percentage.  Nobody is married to a guy who's a 50/50 shot of finishing the season.

I'm not saying it happens, but like I said above, the Rams could save upwards of 12 mil if they cut him.  He's the worst QB in the division, by far.  The Rams know this all too well. 

I know you've got an inside connection with the Rams feeding you this knowledge but from an outsiders perspective, they're in a perfect position to cut him and move on...which is what they should probably do because he's ******* terrible and an eggshell.

He's terrible dude, not too many QB's grade out worse.  Nobody is married to guy with a career record of 15-30-1 or whatever it is.  Nobody is married to a below 60% completion percentage.  Nobody is married to a guy who's a 50/50 shot of finishing the season.

I'm not saying it happens, but like I said above, the Rams could save upwards of 12 mil if they cut him.  He's the worst QB in the division, by far.  The Rams know this all too well. 

I know you've got an inside connection with the Rams feeding you this knowledge but from an outsiders perspective, they're in a perfect position to cut him and move on...which is what they should probably do because he's ******* terrible and an eggshell.

What they SHOULD do and what they WILL do are 2 separate matters.  They WILL NOT be cutting Bradford.  He will be their starting QB in 2014 and 2015 as long as he's healthy. 

Teams don't just cut ties with a top QB pick.  Look how long it took for us to move on from Sanchez.  He's still on the roster 5 years later.  And this is a New York franchise we're talking about, not a midwest baseball town.

Archived