"[Sanchez] would be the starter for us as soon as he walked in the door"

T0mShane

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. It's not. I didn't say either of those guys would be more viable options, at all. I'm just saying next season will be sunk, just like this one was, if Geno doesn't get any better. I hope he does, but I don't see it happening. Weapons or not.

And being 5-4 heading into a bye and then getting crushed in Buffalo is not really the way you want to defend your argument considering two of those wins were gifted.

This sh*t again?  Never in history have their been fans crying so freakin' much over wins before.  It's this kind of nonsense which gives Jets fans such a bad name.  Although the good part about it is there is no better way these days to identify a post as nothing but a completely biased agenda, considering what a load of crap that entire argument is to begin with.

This sh*t again?  Never in history have their been fans crying so freakin' much over wins before.  It's this kind of nonsense which gives Jets fans such a bad name.  Although the good part about it is there is no better way these days to identify a post as nothing but a completely biased agenda, considering what a load of crap that entire argument is to begin with.

Apparently penalties make for gift wins, but the other team not trying does not.

Apparently penalties make for gift wins, but the other team not trying does not.

Well of course, that makes perfect sense to me.  Although to be clear, only when penalties go in favor of the Jets are they gifts.  Penalties against the Jets are further evidence of the failures of <insert Jets' player/coach name here>.

Yeah, all the QB did was hand 7 points to the opposition while producing 0 points through the first 29+ minutes in a 5 point loss, but clearly he wasn't the problem.

Hard to score when you don't have the ball for an entire quarter and the punter sh*ts the bed.

That was a field position game. The defense was a joke for the first half.

Bahhh!  Argument invalid.  Woodhead wasn't the only one.  James Hasty John Abraham Arron Glenn Jericho Cotchery James Farrior...Hell the Fin's beat us with Pennington at the helm when we had Favre...Goodwin works, so does a guy like Joel Dreeson...Now is Sanchez gonna be a Farrior or a Dreeson? Dunno.  Nobody does.  But when the hatred-colored glasses come off, its hard to ignore the fact that the kid has had some success when he had the tools...and that diminished when Holmes, Cotchery and Braylon turned into Kerley Gates and Schilens.  When Damien Woody Alan Faneca and Moore turned into Howard, Slauson and Ducasse and a gimpy Moore, when LaDanian Tomlinson and Tony Richardson turned into....well...nobody.  To say The QB should be successful regardless of his supporting cast is utterly myopic.  Sanchez will never be great.  but he has the tools to be good, or even very good.  Unfortunately the last five first round draft picks taken have been defense.  Unfortunately the offensive line has gone from being top three to bottom sixteen.  His Tight End has gone from an under performing Keller, to an often injured Cumberland.  His running game...See: comments about offensive line.  His protection: Ditto.  There is a reason he was able to pull off come-from-behind-victories one season, then looked like a deer in the headlights the next.  And to be fair to Geno, he had the same sh*t soup on offense.  This is Rex Ryan's Problem and Rex Ryan's fault.  Development of a franchise QB was never a part of his skill-set.  And neither Schotty, nor Sparano nor Morningweg ever had a chance to try to develop the kid themselves.  THIS is why Sanchez is a bad QB.  And this is why Geno is likely to BE a bad QB.  No investment no commitment to the young leader of the team.  Look at what the Falcons did via draft and free agency once they Got Matt Ryan.  Oline, Recievers, etc.  They gave the kid a chance.  We drafted corners and Dlineman.  Lots of them.  Stupid.  What did Ryan expect his offense to become?  What did he think Sanchez or Geno could do with this pile of crap?  This is what happened to the New York Jets.  It wasnt Sanchez...the easy target.  Or Geno...the hapless target.  It was an utter lack of commitment to offensive football.  There's a reason Rex wanted to "ground and pound".  It was to give his Defense all the credit.  because at the end of the day, defense is all that ever matters to him.

I can't even get through this mess, but Schottenheimer did fine with his prior 2 QBs, both pro bowlers.  Also Bradford had noticeable improvement.  Not that I wish for BS to return, but this blame everyone except Sanchez for his own actions and failures is old.

All the things you're mentioning would be enough to hide any bad QB.  If we need all those things, we can get by with someone of Sanchez's backup-level skills for the veteran minimum.

Also as someone else mentioned, you're going back a long way to find just a few players.  Every team has had players they didn't re-sign and weren't awful.  But we haven't had many in recent years and Sanchez won't be either.

Who is glossing over facts?    Alex Smith lost the starting job to Shaun Hill, Troy Smith, etc.   He was a bust.   His head coaches didn't like him or want him on the team.   Harbaugh didn't want him, but gave him a shot.  And even after Smith was part of a team who was almost in the super bowl,  they had interest in an injured Manning, and after his injury, during a season when he actually looked good,  Kapernick came in and the rest is history.      Smith was not better than Sanchez, that's just glossing over facts.  He was a bust and everybody knew it.   The first pick in the draft couldn't even win the starting job most of the time.

As bad as Sanchez was, he was loved by his head coach.   Smith never was and was terrible for a long time.  The 49ers sucked as well.     The biggest difference was Smith had a stronger resolve and more maturity.  His coaches didn't believe in him, 49ers fans hated him, and for the most part, he was called a bust.  Many kids falter in that situation.  And then finally when he does kind of prove he can be a winner,  he winds up losing his job anyway.   And yet he never said a word, was a teammate, and wound up helping the Chiefs into the playoffs this year.    

Sanchez has a weak character who seems more Leinart and hanging with celebrities, than wanting to be a good QB.    That's where the difference is and why Smith kind of succeeded and Sanchez will fail.    Neither are really that good, but one has dedication and heart to play the game, the other doesn't seem to care as much.

Smith was the starter when Harbaugh was hired, not Shaun Hill.  He also missed time to injury.  There is a notion throughout the league that Smith was worse than he was before Harbaugh waved his magic wand.  He was already in that 82-ish passer rating (the dream level for Sanchez) before Harbaugh got there.  And Smith didn't walk into nearly the easy-to-hide-him situation that Sanchez did.  He had the 30th ranked defense forcing him into passing a lot more than Sanchez had to.  His only semi-receiver was 3rd year Brandon Lloyd.  And it showed because he was freaking awful as a 21 year-old rookie. After that, his numbers were more mediocre than horrible, and he was injured as well in the middle of it all.  Sure the fans wanted more out of their top pick, and he wasn't as good as he became under Harbaugh (an ex-QB himself), but he was better than Sanchez.  The difference is there were no other options on the team other than Sanchez for 4 years (really 5 when one considers how raw Geno was), and Sanchez came into a much better situation starting with his first season.

Your absolutely right. This was the problem with Sanchez. He never progressed, and in fact regressed as the team lost faith and he lost faith in himself. Many people will obviously believe that Geno will Progress, and we all hope that is the case if he is our starter, but their is ample proof out there (especially) on this team, that some if not many QB's do not progress, and when you are the lowest rated QB in the league, you better progress a great deal, otherwise you will still be near the bottom of the NFL QB's even with a 5 or 10 point progression. Geno is following the Sanchez footprint so far to a tee, and that is a scary thought going forward. 

No no no.  The defense giving up a net of 15 points on the road in the playoffs was the reason we lost.  Pittsburgh had the ball the whole first half, don't you know? Our offense can't be held responsible for getting off the field as quickly as they got on it! That's crazy talk.

I swear it's like some people have this memory of the game that we got creamed and the defense gave up 35 points in the first half or something.  Gave up 17 (which wouldn't have happened anyway if our offense, led by Senor Sucksalot, could eat up some clock), and scored 2 pts of their own after the Sanchez-led offense stalled on the 1.  That's 15 net points.  Barely double what Sanchez gave up by himself to Pittsburgh.

If anyone asked, before this road playoff game, if we'd take it if our defense gave up 17 points for the whole game AND would score 2 points on a safety, who here really wouldn't take it?

Since their bye week, at home, Pittsburgh put up 28, 26, 35, 23, 17 (vs the Jets), and 27 points.  Then in the playoffs, they put up 31 against Baltimore (and 25 against Green Bay in the superbowl on neutral ground).  Yeah, right.  Giving up 17 and scoring 2 was a real choke-job and the defense really caused that loss.  How dare they not pitch a shutout against a team averaging 28 ppg at home!!

Hard to score when you don't have the ball for an entire quarter and the punter sh*ts the bed.

That was a field position game. The defense was a joke for the first half.

The defense certainly wasn't anywhere close to blameless, but there's a massive difference between that and the idea that Sanchez wasn't a problem or really, the #1 problem.  As far as the offense not having the ball enough, you can try to blame it entirely on the defense, but it also requires the offense to consistently fail to do anything whenever they do get it.  The Jets first drive netted 29 yards.  The Jets defense then gets a turnover and the offense responds with a 3 and out drive that netted -2 yards.  The Jets offense next drive is another 3 and out.  The next offensive drive results in a Steelers' defensive TD.  Keep in mind, these last three drives combined saw less than 4 minutes TOP and netted -7 points.  Only after that did they finally move the ball and get a FG.

The defense certainly doesn't get a pass for the completely sh*t tackling on the first few drives, but that offensive performance is even more pathetic.  If you want to blame Rex for a sh*tty coaching job in his biggest game then so be it, I won't argue with you there, but there's no way you can say that and not make the same exact statement about Sanchez's performance.  When all was said and done, the defense gave up 17 points and scored 2 while the offense scored 17 points and gave up 7.

No no no.  The defense giving up a net of 15 points on the road in the playoffs was the reason we lost.  Pittsburgh had the ball the whole first half, don't you know? Our offense can't be held responsible for getting off the field as quickly as they got on it! That's crazy talk.

I swear it's like some people have this memory of the game that we got creamed and the defense gave up 35 points in the first half or something.  Gave up 17 (which wouldn't have happened anyway if our offense, led by Senor Sucksalot, could eat up some clock), and scored 2 pts of their own after the Sanchez-led offense stalled on the 1.  That's 15 net points.  Barely double what Sanchez gave up by himself to Pittsburgh.

If anyone asked, before this road playoff game, if we'd take it if our defense gave up 17 points for the whole game AND would score 2 points on a safety, who here really wouldn't take it?

Since their bye week, Pittsburgh put up 28, 26, 35, 23, 17 (vs the Jets), and 27 points.  Then in the playoffs, they put up 31 against Baltimore and 25 against Green Bay.  Yeah, right.  Giving up 17 and scoring 2 was a real choke-job and the defense really caused that loss.  How dare they not pitch a shutout against a team averaging 28 ppg at home!!

Damnit.  Alright, from now on I think I'm just going to start replying to posts by deferring the answers to you.  You say nearly the same exact sh*t I'm going to and ramble on for just as long as I do, so what's the damn point?

Sanchez fits the WCO, I would love to see him back if his cap number can be brought down.

How?  The WCO requires crisp, accurate passes.  When has Sanchez ever been capable of this? 

If anything, Sanchez would be best-suited for a vertical, gunslinging type of offense because of his propensity to take risks.  But that would backfire too, because gunslingers need to counter their many turnovers with lot's of TD's.

Since their bye week, at home, Pittsburgh put up 28, 26, 35, 23, 17 (vs the Jets), and 27 points.  Then in the playoffs, they put up 31 against Baltimore (and 25 against Green Bay in the superbowl on neutral ground).  Yeah, right.  Giving up 17 and scoring 2 was a real choke-job and the defense really caused that loss.  How dare they not pitch a shutout against a team averaging 28 ppg at home!!

17 points scored on time consuming drives at home. By the time the offense got the ball there was 5 minutes left in the first quarter. Offense puts together a decent drive and pins the Steeler offense on the 14 yard line. Steelers take the ball down the field again.

Ben had the benefit of a running game that day. Our offense didnt. The safety was a result of a nice drive by our offense and Schotty getting cute at the 1. I suppose that was Sanchez's fault as well.

Weatherford stunk that day. The tackling stunk that day. We dropped two interceptions. All Sanchez's fault I suppose.

17 points scored on time consuming drives at home. By the time the offense got the ball there was 5 minutes left in the first quarter. Offense puts together a decent drive and pins the Steeler offense on the 14 yard line. Steelers take the ball down the field again.

Ben had the benefit of a running game that day. Our offense didnt. The safety was a result of a nice drive by our offense and Schotty getting cute at the 1. I suppose that was Sanchez's fault as well.

Weatherford stunk that day. The tackling stunk that day. We dropped two interceptions. All Sanchez's fault I suppose.

The way you tell it we lost 45-35.

The way you tell it we lost 45-35.

The way you tell it is Sanchez was 7-30 with 4 int's.

The first half was a total let down and everything was thrown off when the defense couldnt get off the field because we couldnt stop Mendenhall. Pittsburgh wasnt doing anything other than handing off. If we went back and forth with punts all half I'd pin the blame on the offense totally...but the defense struggled the first 30 minutes. And they had an opportunity to give us one last chance and they couldnt.

The only stop the defense made in the first half was on our own 32 yard line on 4th down.

The way you tell it is Sanchez was 7-30 with 4 int's.

The first half was a total let down and everything was thrown off when the defense couldnt get off the field because we couldnt stop Mendenhall. Pittsburgh wasnt doing anything other than handing off. If we went back and forth with punts all half I'd pin the blame on the offense totally...but the defense struggled the first 30 minutes. And they had an opportunity to give us one last chance and they couldnt.

The only stop the defense made in the first half was on our own 32 yard line on 4th down.

The defense was great all year, yet Sanchez gets more of a pass than the D despite the Jets offense putting up 0 points in the 1st half.  Not buying it.

The defense was great all year, yet Sanchez gets more of a pass than the D despite the Jets offense putting up 0 points in the 1st half.  Not buying it.

They put up a FG.

The defense was great all year. They stunk for the first half of the AFC title game. It is what it is. If Gore went wild on Sunday we'd be saying the same thing about the Seahawks D.

They put up a FG.

The defense was great all year. They stunk for the first half of the AFC title game. It is what it is. If Gore went wild on Sunday we'd be saying the same thing about the Seahawks D.

Maybe, but we aren't, because they have a QB to go along with that great defense.

Maybe, but we aren't, because they have a QB to go along with that great defense.

Wilson didnt have a great game on Sunday. He also had a fumble inside his own 20 that resulted in a TD for the Niners. Overall, sure, the difference between the 2013 Seahawks and the 2010 Jets was pretty apparent at the QB position....but for the title games neither were the main reason they won or lost.

Or you can not take his season in one lump chunk and see that he actually progressed toward the end of the season. You can also look at his numbers with and without the one receiver he could count on to get open on a consistent basis and use that as a base for some positivity. Not blind enthusiasm, but at least a shred of optimism.

Sure, you can do that, but even withn Sanchez, we saw many blocks of games where we were like, wow, he looks much better and the minute you got your hopes up on that bum, he'd throw 4 picks and fumble a couple times. When Geno can be a serviceable QB for an extended period and not just a block of games, then I will believe, but Sanchez taught me never get your hopes up with a QB who has demonstrated that he can be a very bad QB at times.

OK, but why are you sending me this? I have not been discussing the playoffs with anyone. I think you meant this response for someone else.

That. Sanchez also taught me that people will make up enough excuses for just about anything. Guy runs into a lineman's ass and it's the GM's fault.

I cant wait until that dude is on another team, and first when he is signed, that their GM will come out and tell us how great he was, and how happy they are to have him blah, balh, blah, and then watch Sanchez , well be Sanchez and drive a GM, Coach and fans crazy with his deplorable play and attitude.

As I said in another thread, the day they cut that bum, should be a holiday, as I know I will celebrate that day like it is one. That dude, his contract, and his attitude set this franchise back 3-5 years. good riddance finally to that bum.

Oakland?

Cleveland? Probably not...dont think Lombardi would make such a claim.

Jax? He's not better than Henne and they're all about an open competition, so doubt Caldwell would say that.

Houston? maybe

Min? Not better than Cassell

St. Louis? Maybe with the Schotty connnection

It said, coach, not GM nor Head Coach. Just said coach.

That "decent drive" netted less than 30 yards and ended in a punt.  Steelers taking "the ball down the field again" ended in an interception, which the offense did nothing with.  Curious how these facts apparently don't factor into your analysis of those drives.

The failure to score on the rushing plays would not be his fault.  However, his failure to complete a pass when given multiple chances would be.  The idea that you're trying to use the Jets' offense leaving 7 points on the field and the defense then scoring 2 as an argument in favor of the offense is absurd.

Weatherford's sh*tty punting would seem to be more of an excuse for the defense than Sanchez (although it shouldn't be either one).  It has absolutely nothing to do with Sanchez's crappy performance.  Interesting that you failed to note that the Jets also got two interceptions that day and the offense subsequently went 3 and out both times.  Yeah, that's at least partially Sanchez's fault.  Most importantly of all, what is unquestionably Sanchez's fault is the fact that he single-handedly accounted for more of the Steelers' points than their margin of victory.

Keep in mind, in order to win that game with the offensive performance the Jets had, it would have required the defense to hold the Steelers to 9 points or less, or offset any points scored above 9 with as many (or more) defensive points of their own.

Archived