Are the Fins the new circus in the AFC East?

BurnleyJet

Love it.

How come no one outside of Miami is talking about how long the Dolphins GM search has gone on?

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...-the-gene.html

Humiliation: Browns say Farmer not interviewing second time

So let me get this straight ... The assistant general manager for the Cleveland Browns is informed he is a finalist for the general manager job with the Miami Dolphins and after getting through an initial interview that reportedly went well, he declines to take the second interview because he has doubts about the Dolphins' football structure?

Can this really be?

Is the Dolphins' reputation around the NFL so soiled that even people working for the Browns -- the Browns! -- don't want more money, more power, and a chance to run the Dolphins front office?

Somebody wake me, because this is a nightmare.

Let's retrace some footsteps because if this is, in fact, what's going on, we've already stepped in something foul.

Farmer interviewed for the Dolphins job January 11 and I reported the interview was very good. Obviously, it turns out, the interview did go well because a couple of days ago the Dolphins decided Farmer would be one of their finalists interviewing this weekend for a chance to become the successor to Jeff Ireland.

But a not-funny thing happened on the way to that prized finalist interview. Farmer began to have second thoughts. As I reported Thursday, Farmer started to waiver about whether or not he wanted to interview again with the Dolphins because he was feeling uncertain or uncomfortable with the Dolphins football structure.

Farmer talked to the Dolphins for at least five hours in that first interview. He came to that interview with the blessing of former boss Carl Peterson, who hired Farmer during his time with the Chiefs and is now the top advisor to Dolphins owner Stephen Ross on this GM search. And after answering a bunch of questions and presumably asking some of his own, Farmer was still not sure he either understood or liked the Miami structure?

That's not all.

Was Farmer's concern so profound that even when the Fritz Pollard Alliance strongly recommended he take the follow-up interview so he could get his clarification, Farmer still declined?

Well, that's apparently exactly what happened as on Thursday afternoon, Cleveland Browns CEO Joe Banner told a group of huddled reporters that Farmer was staying with the Browns rather than interview again with the Dolphins, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Quentin Tarrantino at the height of a drug-induced inspiration could not make this stuff up.

So I have questions that frankly make me wonder about both Farmer and the Dolphins.

1. To Farmer, if you were still uncertain or uncomfortable with the Dolphins structure at the end of that initial interview, why didn't you say so then? Did this discomfort or uncertainty suddenly dawn on you or did you find out new things about the Dolphins in the days following the interview?

2. To Farmer, you worked under Peterson for years. Obviously Peterson thinks very highly you. So if you were uncertain or uncomfortable about the Dolphins structure, couldn't you just call Peterson and ask for clarity? Why the big public unveiling of this issue that makes neither the Dolphins nor you look good?

3. To the Dolphins, is the phrase, "Do you have any questions for us? Are you completely comfortable with where we are right now?" foreign? After all, that kind of covers everything. If Farmer felt any degree of discomfort near the end of his interview, that phrase would have definitely opened the door to the airing of that discomfort.

4. To the Dolphins, how could you not know Farmer had issues with your structure?

5. To the Dolphins, did you interview a candidate and then anoint him a finalist without any clue he doesn't think highly of what you are proposing as the job structure?

6. To the Dolphins, aren't you starting to get a clue that something is seriously wrong with, well, you? Look, when one candidate declines to interview, that's understandable. When two candidates decide your interview offer is not for them, that's kind of worrisome but not terribly. But four candidates declined to take even initial interviews with you and a fifth man, who was open minded enough to take the initial interview, decided that familiarity with you was a reason to stay away in the future.

It's not them, my dear Dolphins franchise, it's you!

It's not the media with an agenda. It's not tough luck. It's not the competition conspiring against you. It is you!

Now, for the sake of full disclosure, Dolphins sources insist it is not them. (On a couple of counts, such as the initial and incorrect Jason Licht story about him being offered the job and this evening's CYA suggestion by one national reporter that Lake Dawson didn't become a finalist until after Farmer had second thoughts, it is indeed the media).

The message I get from the Dolphins is that every candidate is made aware he will be reporting directly to owner Stephen Ross. Every candidate is aware he will not be under either coach Joe Philbin or executive vice president of football administration Dawn Aponte. Every candidate is aware he also will definitely not be over Philbin and probably not Aponte as well. Both Aponte and Philbin will answer to Ross.

Aponte, I am told, has no secret sinister plans to take over as undercover GM.

So where is the misunderstanding?

Are the Dolphins not relaying that message clearly? Is there a communication disconnect? Is the team, through sources, saying one thing to me and then another to candidates? I don't know for sure. I'm not in the interviews.

(Maybe the Dolphins should embed me this weekend for their own well being -- like the military embeds war correspondents. It protects them.).

All I know is this is not the first humiliation the Dolphins suffer lately. It's starting to get really, really old when the Dave Wannstedt disaster is the good old days.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...#storylink=cpy

Reply Reply With Quote

Every candidate is aware he will not be under either coach Joe Philbin or executive vice president of football administration Dawn Aponte. Every candidate is aware he also will definitely not be over Philbin and probably not Aponte as well. Both Aponte and Philbin will answer to Ross.

Gee, hard to see why they're having trouble finding candidates.

It just shows how irrelevant their market is. If this were the Jets ( and it was to a lesser defree last season) It would be national news. I just like that all the Miami fans I work with and live near have had their mouths shut for a little while and this kinda stuff doesn't hurt.  :D

But... but... but... they went undefeated only 42 years ago....

I actually heard Jeffrey Ross on the radio a couple of years ago BRAGGING how they "made the playoff 3 years ago". This was before the 2011 season and he was talking about the Pennington-led (actually it was Ronnie Brown led with the Wildcat) 2008 season. Man, they have become more pathetic than us. Also, they only last won a Super Bowl like 3 4 years after us and nobody talks about that do they?

I actually heard Jeffrey Ross on the radio a couple of years ago BRAGGING how they "made the playoff 3 years ago". This was before the 2011 season and he was talking about the Pennington-led (actually it was Ronnie Brown led with the Wildcat) 2008 season. Man, they have become more pathetic than us. Also, they only last won a Super Bowl like 3 4 years after us and nobody talks about that do they?

No, but that didn't stop a 30-year-old Dolphins fan in a Mark Duper jersey from trying to trash talk me with the old "1969" BS during our week 17 beatdown of them. I just laughed him off as Milliner picked off Tannehill and started the dominoes falling in South Beach. 

Nah, you were right the first time. " The Pennington- Led"   Brown rushed for 916 yards.  OK but nothing special.

Pennington had a 67% completion.  3700 yards and a 19-7 TD to picks.  Pennington was more of an impact on the team then Brown.  Like with the Jets, the Wild cat was a tool, but hardly the reason the Fins were 11-5 

Nah, you were right the first time. " The Pennington- Led"   Brown rushed for 916 yards.  OK but nothing special.

Pennington had a 67% completion.  3700 yards and a 19-7 TD to picks.  Pennington was more of an impact on the team then Brown.  Like with the Jets, the Wild cat was a tool, but hardly the reason the Fins were 11-5 

I disagree fg, the impact plays were with Brown at the helm and Chad off pretending to be a WR...look at that 1st NE game which they would have never won had it not been for those Wildcat plays-they ran it 6 times and scored on 4 of them. Had they lost that game (like they SHOULD have-even withOUT Brady) there would have been no playoff game to get killed by the Ravens in...tiebreaker went to Miami

I get the impression that league insiders know that something is about to happen with the Dolphins, that's why nobody is taking the job.  Like the team is being bought by a Russian Mafia boss and they'll be playing their home games in Moscow next year.  Something big.

I disagree fg, the impact plays were with Brown at the helm and Chad off pretending to be a WR...look at that 1st NE game which they would have never won had it not been for those Wildcat plays-they ran it 6 times and scored on 4 of them. Had they lost that game (like they SHOULD have-even withOUT Brady) there would have been no playoff game to get killed by the Ravens in...tiebreaker went to Miami

IDK

Your talking about the 38-13 week 3 route of the Pats, that they would never have won?    Yes Brown was a major contributor in the game, but so was Pennington, 17-20 for 230.  

That was a classic team victory, not just on Brown.  It's fine not to like Pennington, and to be happy he's gone, but the fact is he was a very efficient QB, and a major contributor when the Jets went to the play offs, and when the Fins went to the play offs.

Guy just wasn't good enough to carry either  flawed team to the Super Bowl

IDK

Your talking about the 38-13 week 3 route of the Pats, that they would never have won?    Yes Brown was a major contributor in the game, but so was Pennington, 17-20 for 230.  

That was a classic team victory, not just on Brown.  It's fine not to like Pennington, and to be happy he's gone, but the fact is he was a very efficient QB, and a major contributor when the Jets went to the play offs, and when the Fins went to the play offs.

Guy just wasn't good enough to carry either  flawed team to the Super Bowl

It just amazes me how Jet fans can bad mouth Pennington, while watching the QB play we have had the past 5 years. We can only wish that someday we again get QB play anywhere near what we had when Chad was here, in the next few years. Compared to Sanchez and Smith and their consistent 65 QBR and 28 TQBR's , Chad would look like a Hall of Famer.

+1

If they want to give Belichick an asterisk on the way into the Hall, it should be for simply having to beat the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets front offices every year.

Bellichick starts out 6-0, everytime the new schedule comes out. He merely has to win 4 of the other 10 games to win the EAST.

Until the Jets fan base changes they'll always be the AFCE circus. You guys over ******* reacted about everything and are more worried about rivals doing bad then the Jets doing good because you don't think they'll win anyway.

The reason the team is a circus is the fans not the team.

In the same way that halfwits renting Grown Ups 2 out of a Redbox are responsible for more Adam Sandler movies getting made.

Yeah, or how about when the fans gave Sanchez that extension?

Bad decisions isn't what's making the Jets a circus. The fans going overboard about everything is. Every team has players that **** up off the field and FOs that make bad choices.

Sports writers for the Jets can basically print anything and get an overreaction.

It just amazes me how Jet fans can bad mouth Pennington, while watching the QB play we have had the past 5 years. We can only wish that someday we again get QB play anywhere near what we had when Chad was here, in the next few years. Compared to Sanchez and Smith and their consistent 65 QBR and 28 TQBR's , Chad would look like a Hall of Famer.

IDK about a HOF'er, but I would trade both Sanchez, and Smith for a 25 YO healthy Pennington.  That's the problem though, Pennington was only healthy every other year 

This one time when I was just standing around and boom this bro ran into me--like right up my ass--and I was all "whoa," and he fumbled a football, and then everyone was like "yo, buttfumble," and I was like "yo I'm just a fan standing here what."

If that happened with another team it wouldn't of even barely made the news. Writers jump all over cause they knew Jet fans would go mental.

If that happened with another team it wouldn't of even barely made the news. Writers jump all over cause they knew Jet fans would go mental.

It's a circus because Rex begged the media to watch the team. He brought all of this with him. You hire a carnival barker, you get the carnival.

And the fans ate it up. This fan base can't wait for something to happen. It gives them something to bitch about.

The irony is that a fair majority of Jets fans today are most tortured by Parcells-era memories. You say the word "Parcells" around a Jets fan and they act like you just showed them a picture of their dad's cock.

How did this somehow manage to turn into a Pennington dick-sucking thread?  Sanchez being awful and Geno certainly not starting off well doesn't change that Chad was a decidedly mediocre, weak-armed, injury prone QB who was at his absolute worst when playing an even remotely respectable defense or in a high-pressure situation (e.g., 3 straight playoff losses with increasingly embarrassing performances, where he was the primary reason for his team's loss).  While the odds may be against it, at least Geno has some sort of chance of becoming what the Jets really want / need in a QB, and the Jets need to keep looking until they find that guy.  We all saw Chad's ceiling, it was far from impressive and showed he couldn't be "that guy", so the last thing they need is another one of those.

As far as the actual topic of this thread goes, it really is kind of crazy to see how many candidates flat out refused the Dolphins request for interviews and then even more on top of that rejected the team even after interviewing.  They basically just ended up with whatever guy was left who was actually willing to take the job, which really is rather sad, even from a Jets' fans perspective.

Archived