Seattle a historic Defense?

JustInFudge

I've been watching some of the Super Bowl pregame shows here lately as the game gets a little closer and it seems there's been a lot of talk regarding the Seahawks as being one of the greatest D's of all time, if they end up winning.  So this morning, I tuned into some sports talk radio on my way into work and listened to a strong argument on their D actually being a "little" overrated because of the QB's they've faced.

I want to preface, this isnt my opinion as I dont follow the Seahawks enough to have an accurate opinion but I think the point has some validity.  Below is a list of QB's they've beat this season.  Its underwhelming, to say the least:

Week 1 @ Carolina - beat Cam Netwon

Week 2 vs San Fran - beat Colin Kap

Week 3 vs Jax - beat Chad Henne

Week 4 @ Houston - beat Matt Schaub who threw for 350 yards

Week 5 @ Indy - loss to Andrew Luck

Week 6 vs. Titans - beat Ryan Fitzpatrick

Week 7 vs Cardinals - beat Carson Palmer

Week 8 vs. Rams - beat Kellen Clemens, barely

Week 9 @ Bucs - beat Mike Glennon

Week 10 vs. Falcons - beat Matt Ryan

Week 11 vs. Vikings - beat Christian Ponder

Week 13 vs. Saints - beat Drew Brees

Week 14 @ San Fran - loss to Colin Kap

Week 15 @ Giants - beat Eli Manning

Week 16 vs Cards - lost to Carson Palmer

Week 17 vs Rams - beat Kellen Clemens

Then beat Brees and Cap in the playoffs.  And now they're about to go up against possibly the GOAT on a nuetral site.  Point being, that's far from a impressive list and knowing that, does that sounds like the resume of a historic defense in your opinion?

I've been watching some of the Super Bowl pregame shows here lately as the game gets a little closer and it seems there's been a lot of talk regarding the Seahawks as being one of the greatest D's of all time, if they end up winning.  So this morning, I tuned into some sports talk radio on my way into work and listened to a strong argument on their D actually being a "little" overrated because of the QB's they've faced.

I want to preface, this isnt my opinion as I dont follow the Seahawks enough to have an accurate opinion but I think the point has some validity.  Below is a list of QB's they've beat this season.  Its underwhelming, to say the least:

Week 1 @ Carolina - beat Cam Netwon

Week 2 vs San Fran - beat Colin Kap

Week 3 vs Jax - beat Chad Henne

Week 4 @ Houston - beat Matt Schaub who threw for 350 yards

Week 5 @ Indy - loss to Andrew Luck

Week 6 vs. Titans - beat Ryan Fitzpatrick

Week 7 vs Cardinals - beat Carson Palmer

Week 8 vs. Rams - beat Kellen Clemens, barely

Week 9 @ Bucs - beat Mike Glennon

Week 10 vs. Falcons - beat Matt Ryan

Week 11 vs. Vikings - beat Christian Ponder

Week 13 vs. Saints - beat Drew Brees

Week 14 @ San Fran - loss to Colin Kap

Week 15 @ Giants - beat Eli Manning

Week 16 vs Cards - lost to Carson Palmer

Week 17 vs Rams - beat Kellen Clemens

Then beat Brees and Cap in the playoffs.  And now they're about to go up against possibly the GOAT on a nuetral site.  Point being, that's far from a impressive list and knowing that, does that sounds like the resume of a historic defense in your opinion?

When I pointed out to you last offseason about the teams and the QB's that the Jets played down the stretch the previous season, your response was "All the teams basically play the same schedule, it evens out".

You can only play who they put in front of you. They're a really good defense. Historically good? Probably not. This isn't the 85 Bears or the Steel Curtain. This is a very good to great defense that plays in an era when being that is quite an accomplishment. When you 2 weeks in between games everything because over-critical and hypersensitive. It's maddening. So great, yes. Historically? Probably not unless they shut out/down Manning.

But they could have been if Rex coached-em-up, boy-I-tell-ya.

If they win the SB, then it will be a historically great defense in some people's mind, and if they LOSE, no one will even mention them as a historically great defense.

When NE was 18-0 and headed for the greatest season ever, then lost the SB(on Welkers drop), no one remembers or cares how "great" they were during the season. Same will be true of this defense , so they better win, to even be mentioned with the 86 bears.

What's wrong w the QBs they faced? Kap, Brees (future HOF), Eli (2x SB winner), Cam (rising young QB), Luck (very quickly rising young QB), Matt Ryan (another top young QB).

Kap is a future HOF'er? 

They lost to Luck.  Matt Ryan was handcuffed.  Cam was the first game of the season, he got much better as the season went on.

It's not an impressive resume...but you cant control who you face.  That said, I dont think they're historic by any means.  Solid D, historic?  No.  Maybe if they shut down Manning I'll give it a second thought. 

If they win the SB, then it will be a historically great defense in some people's mind, and if they LOSE, no one will even mention them as a historically great defense.

When NE was 18-0 and headed for the greatest season ever, then lost the SB(on Welkers drop), no one remembers or cares how "great" they were during the season. Same will be true of this defense , so they better win, to even be mentioned with the 86 bears.

Thats essentially what they were saying on the shows I was watching.   Eveyone basically said if they want to be remember, then they shut down Manning.  Otherwise, they're just another SB team with a solid D.

huh?

I assume he was saying that the schedule down the stretch for the JETS was basically a joke (which it was), and he was probably arguing that they were awful against awful teams, and you probably countered by saying something like "it all evens out" or "you can only play who's on the schedule" etc., and here we are detracting from the greatness of the Seattle defense based on the very same things brought up in the JETS play in those final weeks 2 seasons ago, that is bad teams with bad QB's.

I think that's what he's alluding too.

I assume he was saying that the schedule down the stretch for the JETS was basically a joke (which it was), and he was probably arguing that they were awful against awful teams, and you probably countered by saying something like "it all evens out" or "you can only play who's on the schedule" etc., and here we are detracting from the greatness of the Seattle defense based on the very same things brought up in the JETS play in those final weeks 2 seasons ago, that is bad teams with bad QB's.

I think that's what he's alluding too.

I appreciate you answering for him but I dont see the relevance in the Jets losing to sh*tty teams down the stretch during a 6-10 season in this conversation.

It's 'an' historic defense.

What did they teach you in Gainesville?

Actually, isn't Jif correct, as "historic" starts with a consonant, and you only use "an" when the word begins in a vowel?

a block

a bag

an indian

an ogre

etc.

Unless because the "h" is almost silent, you then refer to the "I"?

‘A historic event’ or ‘an historic event’?

People often believe that they should use the indefinite article an in front of words like historic, horrific, or hotel. Are they right or wrong? Should you say ‘an historic event’ or ‘a historic event’?

An is the form of the indefinite article that is used before a spoken vowel sound: it doesn’t matter how the written word in question is actually spelled. So, we say ‘an honour’, ‘an hour’, or ‘an heir’, for example, because the initial letter ‘h’ in all three words is not actually pronounced. By contrast we say ‘a hair’ or ‘a horse’ because, in these cases, the ‘h’ is pronounced.

Let’s go back to those three words that tend to cause problems: historic, horrific, and hotel. If hotel was pronounced without its initial letter ‘h’ (i.e. as if it were spelled ‘otel’), then it would be correct to use an in front of it. The same is true of historic and horrific. If horrific was pronounced ‘orrific’ and historic was pronounced ‘istoric’ then it would be appropriate to refer to ‘an istoric occasion’ or ‘an orrific accident’. In the 18th and 19th centuries, people often did pronounce these words in this way.

Today, though, these three words are generally pronounced with a spoken ‘h’ at the beginning and so it’s now more logical to refer to ‘a hotel’, ‘a historic event’, or ‘a horrific accident’.

That said, nothing is taught in Gainesville.

When I discredited the defensive rankings of the Jets in 2012, showing the bad teams and qb's they played down the stretch led to them being ranked so highly, you dismissed it out of hand, saying those types of things even them out etc.

tsk, tsk

Dont see the relevance but yeah, you cant control who you play.

Archived