Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead

slats

Philip Seymour Hoffman, 46, Found Dead

The actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York apartment on Sunday morning of an apparent drug overdose, according to a law enforcement official who requested anonymity because he was not certain the actor’s family had been informed of the death.

The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46, had been found in his West Village apartment around 11:30 a.m. by a friend who had become concerned at not being able to reach Mr. Hoffman.

A cause of death had not yet been determined, the official said, but it appeared to have been the result of an overdose.

A woman answering the phone at Mr. Hoffman’s New York production company declined to comment. “I don’t have a comment at this time on that, thank you,” she said.

(From the nytimes)

I know that Synedoche New York is polarizing, but I've always loved it and if I had to pick a favorite of mine for Hoffman that movie would probably be it.

Very underrated movie indeed. I remember really getting into him after I saw his Lester Bangs in Almost Famous and realized how I had already seen him in so many movies (Twister, Lebowksi, Hard Eight...) and proceeded to watch everything he was in thereafter. Right after he did Capote, that one year stretch where he was in The Savages, Charlie Wilson' War, Doubt and Synecdoche just showcased his talent. F*cking heroine man, that stuff will always get ya in the end.

I know that Synedoche New York is polarizing, but I've always loved it and if I had to pick a favorite of mine for Hoffman that movie would probably be it.

Awesome movie..

What a loss, one of the great character actors.. Why couldn't it have been a piece of wood like Keanu Reeves instead

Awesome movie..

What a loss, one of the great character actors.. Why couldn't it have been a piece of wood like Keanu Reeves instead

Agreed, except Keanu is actually a good dude: gives a lot of his money away to others e.g. special effects crew and other actors on the film. I don't wish injury/death on anyone, but I'm not losing any sleep if it were that sh*theel Justin Bieber in his stead. 

Agreed, except Keanu is actually a good dude: gives a lot of his money away to others e.g. special effects crew and other actors on the film. I don't wish injury/death on anyone, but I'm not losing any sleep if it were that sh*theel Justin Bieber in his stead.

plus he was in matrix ... he's just an awful actor though

Plus they're definitely doing a third Bill and Ted movie. So that needs to happen first.

Plus they're definitely doing a third Bill and Ted movie. So that needs to happen first.

Bill's probably financially destitute and needs a payday.  The talent disparity wasn't really apparent, I have to imagine he's uttered "why not me" more times than anyone.

One of my favorite Entourage scenes:

Mrs. Ari: You are being ridiculous.
Ari: I’m being ridiculous.. That’s exactly what you said at the Bill and Ted premiere, when Terrence said; I’ll take Keanu, you take the other guy.

My fave actor.. bar none..

RIP.. 

sad to see it end with freaking heroin,,, even those who seemingly 'have it all' can have their demons..

He was doing for a career what I set out to do, yet now I wish his path had taken the other road like mine. Some karma's just arent meant for the 'glare and constant scrutiny'.. 

RIP Phil.... 

He was the only thing worth watching in Along Came Polly.

The guy could do it all. RIP.

Was just going to say, that movie was complete crap - except his parts - the clearing of the throat and sharting bits are things I still reference regularly. 

Bill's probably financially destitute and needs a payday.  The talent disparity wasn't really apparent, I have to imagine he's uttered "why not me" more times than anyone.

One of my favorite Entourage scenes:

Mrs. Ari: You are being ridiculous.
Ari: I’m being ridiculous.. That’s exactly what you said at the Bill and Ted premiere, when Terrence said; I’ll take Keanu, you take the other guy.

Clearly you haven't seen the theatrical masterpiece that is Freaked.

I grew up in the next town over from where he grew up.  He was quite a few years ahead of me but as an adult I lived in Fairport (where he grew up) and some people still talked about his high school performance in a play -- I think it was Death of a Salesman.

He was around here a couple months back and people in a local store talked about how nice a guy he was.  Never put on airs.

Hard to feel bad for a guy who has everything resorting to herion but in this case I do...  Also makes me wonder just how in the **** Artie Lange is still alive...  I read Crash and Burn and that friggin guy should be dead 10 times over.

http://pagesix.com/2014/02/04/hoffmans-haunting-confession-im-a-heroin-addict/?_ga=1.174723042.1341920507.1391171501

Hoffman’s confession: ‘I’m a heroin addict’

By Emily SmithTara PalmeriLarry Celona and Jamie Schram

February 4, 2014 | 1:47am

2014_sundance_tin_type_portraits_-_phili
Philip Seymour Hoffman poses for a tintype (wet collodion) portrait at The Collective and Gibson Lounge Powered by CEG, during the 2014 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah.Photo: AP

A haggard Philip Seymour Hoffman knew he was trapped in a downward spiral, readily admitting, “I’m a heroin addict,’’ to a stranger two weeks ago.

The Oscar-winning actor made the bizarre admission to magazine publisher John Arundel at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, after the businessman didn’t immediately recognize him and asked what he did for a living.

“He said, ‘I’m a heroin addict,’ ” the Washington Life Magazine co-publisher recalled for The Post on Monday.

Arundel said Hoffman then took off his “sloppy hat” and the publisher realized his mistake and said, “Oh, you’re Philip Seymour Hoffman.”

“Bingo!” the actor replied, according to Arundel.

Before Hoffman walked away, Arundel recalled, the “Capote’’ actor added, “I just got out of rehab.”

“Obviously, he wanted people to know he was in recovery mode,’’ Arundel said.

Or at least think he was. In reality, Hoffman — who had struggled with drug and alcohol addiction since his early 20s — was in the middle of a relapse that claimed his life at age 46 on Sunday.

blanchette.jpg?w=300

Cate Blanchett, a family friend of Hoffman, delivered toys and a telescope to his kids.Photo: Splash News

His addiction had gotten so bad that Hoffman’s girlfriend of 14 years, costume designer Mimi O’Donnell, had kicked him out of the Jane Street pad in Greenwich Village where they lived with their three young kids, pals said.

“It was known that he was struggling to stay sober, and his wife had given him some tough love and told him he needed some time away from the kids and to get straight again,’’ a Hollywood source told The Post.

The screen and stage star began renting a $9,800-a-month pad on Bethune Street, less than three blocks away, around three months ago, neighbors said.

Hoffman was found dead of an apparent heroin overdose in a bathroom of that apartment, with a hypodermic needle still sticking out of his left forearm.

Cops recovered more than 20 empty heroin envelopes from the apartment, a plastic cup with 20 used syringes in it, at least 50 more envelopes of heroin and bags of fresh needles, sources said. A charred spoon was found in the sink.

“He was apparently in the throes of a major heroin addiction,’’ a law-enforcement source said.

The actor — known for his vivid portrayals of troubled souls — had said he had been clean for more than 20 years before suffering a relapse in 2012 and entering rehab for 10 days last year.

A source who was on the same 5:30 a.m. flight as Hoffman out of Los Angeles International Airport last month said the dad of three was in first class knocking back bloody marys.

And three days ago, Hoffman was spotted looking “drunk and disheveled” in a bar in downtown Atlanta, sources told TMZ.

The star was making “multiple trips’’ to the bathroom, a source said. On the flight home from Atlanta, he was spotted passed out in his seat.

rspl693066_001_88191557.jpg?w=300

Mourners left flowers and candles outside of Hoffman’s West Village apartment building.Photo: Splash News

Hoffman was supposed to be at the Jane Street pad at 9 a.m. Sunday to pick up son Cooper, 10, and daughters Tallulah, 7, and Willa, 5, sources said.

O’Donnell told cops she last saw the actor on the street Saturday afternoon, then talked to him by phone at 10 p.m. — and he seemed high, sources said.

When he failed to show the next morning, she got worried and started calling around.

Hoffman’s playwright pal, David Bar Katz, and the actor’s personal assistant, Isabella Wing-Davey, discovered his body in the bathroom, sources said.

Hoffman, a native of upstate Fairport, was discovered in his underwear lying on his right side on the bathroom floor.

“He was cold” and had been there “for hours,” sources said.

Katz and Wing-Davey told cops they didn’t know how often Hoffman used drugs or where he got them, sources said.

Neither responded to requests for comment.

Wing-Davey was spotted Monday afternoon coming out of the Jane Street home.

103892570ms005_jack_goes_bo.jpg?w=300

Hoffman at the Los Angeles premiere of his directorial debut, “Jack Goes Boating.”Photo: WireImage

Actress and family friend Cate Blanchett, who appeared with Hoffman in 1999’s “The Talented Mr. Ripley,” also showed up there laden with toys for the three children.

Blanchett exited a black Cadillac XTS carrying two huge bags from FAO Schwarz and a telescope under her arm. Her driver carried in a third bag of toys. She declined comment.

A pastor named Dan Martin showed up minutes later to counsel the family.

Hoffman’s body remained at the morgue Monday, an autopsy still incomplete, officials said.

Broadway dimmed its lights in his memory Wednesday night.

Man, it sounds so cheesy and I almost hate to say it, but it's so weird how someone you never met could have such a large impact on your life. I had turned ten the previous December of when Twister came out and I remember the exact moment when PSH's Dusty was blasting a song, which thanks to the credits i found out to be Eric Clapton's Motherless Child, over the van's giant speaker rigged on the roof. The movie was great for a 5th grader, but that was the singular moment I found out who Eric Clapton was and what lead my uncle to give me the album Layla and Other Assorted Love Song to listen to and why I fell in love with Duane Allman. I'm sure I would have eventually found the Clapton and Allman, but I thought it was pretty funny how a great character in a mediocre movie could expose me to a life of loving the blues.

The non-homoerotic version: PSH showed me who Clapton and Duane Allman were. I <3 PSH.

Archived