speed or size

Jetknowledge

In a pass first offense the QB's receive so much credit the skills position doesn't seem to receive the respect they should.

But certain teams, such as the jets with a horrible receiving core, including tight ends know the pain of a lack of talent.

Which brings my question, with the talent coming out this year at receiver, would you prefer a burner, home run threat such as Lee or Beckham who won't be as effective against a Pat Peterson in tight coverage.

Or a Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin who won't be a short pass yac type, and would require our QB to be more accurate down field in coverage?

The best mix of both is Sammy Watkins who is sadly out of reach.

The Jets need everything on offense. They need those score from anywhere on the field guys, and they need those extend the drive guys. They also need help on defense. This is why the Jets need to go BAP in the draft, especially in the early rounds. They need everything outside of maybe the DL.

In a pass first offense the QB's receive so much credit the skills position doesn't seem to receive the respect they should.

But certain teams, such as the jets with a horrible receiving core, including tight ends know the pain of a lack of talent.

Which brings my question, with the talent coming out this year at receiver, would you prefer a burner, home run threat such as Lee or Beckham who won't be as effective against a Pat Peterson in tight coverage.

Or a Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin who won't be a short pass yac type, and would require our QB to be more accurate down field in coverage?

Out of all those receivers, Benjamin is probably the best deep threat, if we're judging him by his college production and the worst part of Marqise Lee's game is the deep ball.  I think you're confusing size/speed with how they'll play in the NFL. 

As Slats mentioned, the Jets need help in so many ways that it's pretty simple, you draft BPA. If that happens to be WR, then you draft whichever WR you have ranked the highest.  

inaccurate qb's need large receivers. the jets qb's are inaccurate. I say large receivers

the worst part of Marqise Lee's game is the deep ball

I think you're basing this off the article which illustrates the pct of receptions caught in the different zones. I wouldn't draw the conclusion that Lee CAN'T play the deep ball, just that he wasn't asked to, in that particular offense. For all we know, he might be an excellent deep threat, with the added bonus that he can take screens & hitch routes to the house.

Re: the OP.

Size? Meh, OBJ can out jump a lot of taller guys.

Speed? Meh, separation can be gained through superior route running.

Gimme hands. I want a receiver that catches the damn ball.

Jarvis Landry. Avg size, Avg speed. But he can get open and catch everything that comes his way. That's what I think should be prioritized. Marty can scheme players open, but if they can't catch it's all for naught.

inaccurate qb's need large receivers. the jets qb's are inaccurate. I say large receivers

true. also more reliance on screen passes could help by giving geno a safety valve. problem of course is we don't have a shifty screen threat that is likely to play in 2014. i think jets hoped goodson would fill this role but well, you know how that worked out.

I think you're basing this off the article which illustrates the pct of receptions caught in the different zones. I wouldn't draw the conclusion that Lee CAN'T play the deep ball, just that he wasn't asked to, in that particular offense. For all we know, he might be an excellent deep threat, with the added bonus that he can take screens & hitch routes to the house.

No, I'm actually basing it off watching Lee play the past two years. The deep ball is the worst facet of his game: if you could find out the number of drops per targets in each yardage zone, I'd guarantee 20+ yards would  be the highest percentage. He's just not that type of receiver.  He's still capable of catching balls deep, but that's not at all what his game is about. He and Beckham are still my favorite two receivers in the draft however.

Martysystem relies more on quick & speed receiverswho can get open deep and fast.

Explosive playmakerswho can make plays after the catch.

Soundsmore like Lee than evans

Evans was actually surprisingly good in the screen game, which leads me to believe he's got more agility in small spaces than he's being given credit. Personally, with the way speed-training is nowadays, I'd be shocked if he ran poorly at the combine. He's shown that he has plenty of long speed, the thing you have to worry about is his route-running. A large fraction of his plays catches on broken routes coming back to find Johnny scrambling.   

No, I'm actually basing it off watching Lee play the past two years. The deep ball is the worst facet of his game: if you could find out the number of drops per targets in each yardage zone, I'd guarantee 20+ yards would be the highest percentage. He's just not that type of receiver. He's still capable of catching balls deep, but that's not at all what his game is about. He and Beckham are still my favorite two receivers in the draft however.

That can be coached

The Jets need everything on offense. They need those score from anywhere on the field guys, and they need those extend the drive guys. They also need help on defense. This is why the Jets need to go BAP in the draft, especially in the early rounds. They need everything outside of maybe the DL.

Agreed.  Draft the best players that you can use.  Rex scrambles well of defense, so there's no need to reach for a particular position.  Get players that will make a difference.

Archived