WR or TE for first round pick?

BroadwayJets

If the Jets draft a TE in the 1st round you might as well fire everyone on the spot, why wait the 1-3 years of not living that pick down.

TE's in the 1st round are for teams that are already built to win, not teams with multiple glaring holes all over the roster. Take Vernon Davis, yes he is a beast, but he was a useless beast for a crap team from 2006 to 2010.

Not to mention the awesome history the Jets have at drafting TE's in the 1st round!

Another reason not to draft a TE in the 1st is MM's offensive system is built around RB's, and WR's, TE's are just kinda there, and an average one fits just fine.

1 last reason not to bother with a TE in the 1st is they make cheap $$$$$$, contracts for TE's don't make, or break your Salary Cap, pass rushers, CB's, OT's, QB's, and WR's do, so you should be drafting the BAP from these positions every year in the 1st round to take advantage of the new Salary limits on 1st round picks!

Mike Evans, Marquise Lee, Kelvin Benjamin, Eric Ebron, or Jace Amaro? 

I personally hope TE.

If these are the guys you're choosing from, it's WR all day long. WRs consistently out-produce the TE position, and as a result, cost a lot more on the free agent market, too.

Wide receiver is very deep.  If they have a WR they truly love at 18, then great, but you may not lose much by waiting, so taking the best player that you can use at 18 makes the most sense.  You will be able to get high quality receivers with all four of the picks they have in the first three rounds.

They could easily go for a OL, pass rusher, S, CB, TE or QB at 18 if the right player is there.  Anything but a C or a DT if the player is good enough.

Remember when that super awesome roster building/talent evaluating/draft guru, Eric Mangini traded up into the first round for TE Dustin Keller when WR's like Jordy Nelson and DeSean Jackson were still on the board?

That was awesome.

I just tasted my lunch.

Wide receiver is very deep. If they have a WR they truly love at 18, then great, but you may not lose much by waiting, so taking the best player that you can use at 18 makes the most sense. You will be able to get high quality receivers with all four of the picks they have in the first three rounds.

They could easily go for a OL, pass rusher, S, CB, TE or QB at 18 if the right player is there. Anything but a C or a DT if the player is good enough.

They'll let anyone post here.

Obviously.

Good to see you, man! Hope you're moving in. :)

You've made it in time to watch slats turn Full Homer. It's frightening.

It's too easy to predict doom and gloom with the Jets every year. I prefer to buck history. I look forward to seeing what your would-be hero does this offseason.

Good to see you, man! Hope you're moving in. :)

It's too easy to predict doom and gloom with the Jets every year. I prefer to buck history. I look forward to seeing what your would-be hero does this offseason.

I'll try to be around when I can.  Do I even want to know who Shane wanted?  Matt Leinart?

I'll try to be around when I can.  Do I even want to know who Shane wanted?  Matt Leinart?

T0m's gonna be upset all year that Idzik didn't fire Rex and hire Darrell Bevell. He had the whole timeline worked out. Huge disappointment for him, just as I'm sure he's disappointed we don't have Robert Gallery protecting Leinart's blindside.

T0m's gonna be upset all year that Idzik didn't fire Rex and hire Darrell Bevell. He had the whole timeline worked out. Huge disappointment for him, just as I'm sure he's disappointed we don't have Robert Gallery protecting Leinart's blindside.

Both Gallery and Leinart were shocking busts. Shocking, I say.

Reneg Sanchez 2M for 2 yrs to hold clipboard over signing sick Vick. Can cro. Use cap to buy a #2 WR (no real #1's). Sign Byrd if avail. 18 pick on one of the two highly rated CB. 50 pick on BA WR. Third round take a flyer on Mettenburg. Or trade our top 4 picks and go get Clowney. it would be a blast watching him added to this dline. Of course we go 2-14 but then we got a lock on a franchise QB next year assuming the Florida flash comes out.

As to the OP: There are two TEs who have first-round talent: Amaro and Ebron, who are both the athletic receiver/80 catch type players that everyone likes. The next guy is CJ Fiedorwicz, then there's significant drop off.

Receiver has significantly more depth. Lock(ish) firsts are Watkins, Evans, and Lee, with Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, and Odell Beckham possible late firsts. The next tier is Brandin Cooks, Davante Adams, and Jarvis Landry.

IMO, whether Idzik drafts TE or WR at 18 depends on whether he thinks Amaro is better than a Marqise Lee. The Internet Draft Circle Jerk Community is doing everything they can to convince themselves that Lee (and Anthony Barr) really aren't all that good. If that's the case with Lee, then Amaro could certainly be the pick based on positional scarcity in this draft. (This assumes that Ebron, Evans, and Watkins are off the board).

IMO, whether Idzik drafts TE or WR at 18 depends on whether he thinks Amaro is better than a Marqise Lee. The Internet Draft Circle Jerk Community is doing everything they can to convince themselves that Lee (and Anthony Barr) really aren't all that good. If that's the case with Lee, then Amaro could certainly be the pick based on positional scarcity in this draft. (This assumes that Ebron, Evans, and Watkins are off the board).

That would be a bad reason to take him. The only reason to take anyone in the first round should be that he's the best player left on your board. Period. I just don't think the Jets put -or plan to put- enough emphasis on the TE position to take one early just because of a perceived shortage of talent at the position.

That would be a bad reason to take him. The only reason to take anyone in the first round should be that he's the best player left on your board. Period. I just don't think the Jets put -or plan to put- enough emphasis on the TE position to take one early just because of a perceived shortage of talent at the position.

It's certainly a legit tie breaker though and comparing positions is often difficult to rate anyway.  

For some reason I am very scared of Ebron.  I might be convinced otherwise, but he scares me.  

As to the OP: There are two TEs who have first-round talent: Amaro and Ebron, who are both the athletic receiver/80 catch type players that everyone likes. The next guy is CJ Fiedorwicz, then there's significant drop off.

Receiver has significantly more depth. Lock(ish) firsts are Watkins, Evans, and Lee, with Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, and Odell Beckham possible late firsts. The next tier is Brandin Cooks, Davante Adams, and Jarvis Landry.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Troy Niklas are pretty solidly above Fiedorowicz, and Richard Rodgers could be too. The TE group is reasonably deep this year as well.

jets are going w/ebron at 18 if he is there. .pitt likes him at 15 and Pats may be looking to trade up to get him also

Wonder if Detroit's an option at #10 too if Pettigrew leaves in FA. They could use a secondary option in the passing game.

Buffalo's another one I've seen, think Chandler's a FA too. They seem to like drafting explosive guys on offense.

Rd 1 has to be BPA. I think we can wait until 2/3 unless Watkins or Evans is sitting there. have to snag them if so. 

-re Ebron, like him and obv he has tremendous upside, but the d word that ends in rops I have seen on many of his write-ups... that scares me. 

Rd 2 I feel like is the prime spot for WR/TE especially if we do not address WR/TE in rd1.we should hopefully be in line to snag a playmaker at 49. TS's list has some talented kids: Watkins, Evans, and Lee//// Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, and Odell Beckham possible late firsts///// Brandin Cooks, Davante Adams, and Jarvis Landry

Archived