Idzik: "We're going to see the rehab process through, and take it from there."

NYJetsVets91

This is exactly what Idzik said when Revis was in the rehab process, and of course by the time the draft rolled around Revis was a 1st and 3rd round pick. This quote obviously is referring to Sanchez's status with the Jets... They'd be extremely lucky to find a trading partner for Sanchez; according to sources there is some interest in Sanchez around the league. The reason why a trade most likely won't happen is his huge cap charge. If the Jets were willing to keep a portion of his salary it could be a possibility with a team hurting for a QB. With that being said, they'd have to eat a good portion. Obviously, almost everyone knows Sanchez is as good as gone. This quote from Idzik seals the deal though, despite the fact he wants to stay in NY.

I don't see a trade happening because everyone in the league knows he will be a free agent at some point.  The only hope is if you can engage Sanchez's people into the belief that if they restructure in conjunction with a trade, they can get matched up with someone who really wants him and get in the system before they move on to other options in the draft or free agency.

I don't see a trade happening because everyone in the league knows he will be a free agent at some point.  The only hope is if you can engage Sanchez's people into the belief that if they restructure in conjunction with a trade, they can get matched up with someone who really wants him and get in the system before they move on to other options in the draft or free agency.

Yeah the restructure is the only possibility of a trade happening, from our perspective.

The Jets save $8.3M against the cap this year by cutting Sanchez.

It's very hard to imagine much of a market for Sanchez at his current $11M figure ($9M salary + $2M roster bonus). If the Jets can convince Sanchez to accept a paycut to facilitate a trade, that would be one thing. But if the Jets have to eat a significant amount of that potential $8.3M in cap space themselves to make a trade possible, what they get back in return would have to make it worth their while. I'd think that would have to be in the 3rd or 4th round pick range - which also seems unlikely.

Anything can happen, though. If a couple/few teams are eying the idea of bringing Sanchez in to start for them, the Jets could potentially stir up a trade market. I'd guess that's what Idzik is looking at.

In the end, though, I expect Sanchez to be cut before his roster bonus is due.

i'm probably confused but why would sanchez restructure to facilitate a trade--isn't he better off getting cut and then picking from available options?

He's currently signed thru 2016; due $13.5M in 2015, and $11.75M in 2016. So if he takes a pay cut in 2014 to facilitate a deal, and the team that trades for him acquires the next two year of that contract, he's in a much better negotiating position going forward. No way he signs a deal that lucrative as a free agent. If he's a traded to a new team and performs well, though, he could potentially earn that money.

He's currently signed thru 2016; due $13.5M in 2015, and $11.75M in 2016. So if he takes a pay cut in 2014 to facilitate a deal, and the team that trades for him acquires the next two year of that contract, he's in a much better negotiating position going forward. No way he signs a deal that lucrative as a free agent. If he's a traded to a new team and performs well, though, he could potentially earn that money.

i see so he restructures, we trade him, but we still have to eat some (just not as much)?

i see so he restructures, we trade him, but we still have to eat some (just not as much)?

The Jets have to eat the balance of his signing bonus whether he's cut or traded. If he takes a pay cut in 2014, the Jets may not have to eat any additional money beyond that. That would be the ideal.

Someday the Jets will face Mark Sanchez in an NFL game. Depending on the

team it could be an interesting show, he's already done more than half the q's

in the league could land a back up job for one the elite teams, he could end

up rested and ready for a contender, even if it's in Canada.

The Jets save $8.3M against the cap this year by cutting Sanchez.

It's very hard to imagine much of a market for Sanchez at his current $11M figure ($9M salary + $2M roster bonus). If the Jets can convince Sanchez to accept a paycut to facilitate a trade, that would be one thing. But if the Jets have to eat a significant amount of that potential $8.3M in cap space themselves to make a trade possible, what they get back in return would have to make it worth their while. I'd think that would have to be in the 3rd or 4th round pick range - which also seems unlikely.

Anything can happen, though. If a couple/few teams are eying the idea of bringing Sanchez in to start for them, the Jets could potentially stir up a trade market. I'd guess that's what Idzik is looking at.

In the end, though, I expect Sanchez to be cut before his roster bonus is due.

How bad do you have to have your FANBASE Bamboozled to convince them that the best thing for their franchise is to bring in one of the worst all-time starting high drafted QB's in NFL history, who's greatest attribute is being the #1 TOP TEN's worst highlight on ESPN for so long that they had to stop running the highlight, so another worst could be voted #1.

That would be like the JETS trying to convince us JET fans that the best thing for this franchise is to sign RYAN LEAF, and bring back VERNON GHOLSTON.

How bad do you have to have your FANBASE Bamboozled to convince them that the best thing for their franchise is to bring in one of the worst all-time starting high drafted QB's in NFL history, who's greatest attribute is being the #1 TOP TEN's worst highlight on ESPN for so long that they had to stop running the highlight, so another worst could be voted #1.That would be like the JETS trying to convince us JET fans that the best thing for this franchise is to sign RYAN LEAF, and bring back VERNON GHOLSTON.

Coors Light bad?

The rest of your post is your typical hyperbole. There are teams, and fans of teams, that would be interested to see Mark Sanchez join their squad. I suspect it's a pretty wide-spread belief that the Jets did a horrible job bringing Sanchez along - that his coordinators and receivers have been hot garbage for the majority of his career, and that maybe their team can do a better job with the former #5 overall. It's not nearly the stretch you'd make it out to be. If the Jets release him outright, he'll get a decent contract and a minimum of a legitimate shot at a starting job.

Coors Light bad?

The rest of your post is your typical hyperbole. There are teams, and fans of teams, that would be interested to see Mark Sanchez join their squad. I suspect it's a pretty wide-spread belief that the Jets did a horrible job bringing Sanchez along - that his coordinators and receivers have been hot garbage for the majority of his career, and that maybe their team can do a better job with the former #5 overall. It's not nearly the stretch you'd make it out to be. If the Jets release him outright, he'll get a decent contract and a minimum of a legitimate shot at a starting job.

I wish them luck. Four games in and they will want the head of the GM that signed that guy.

I wish them luck. Four games in and they will want the head of the GM that signed that guy.

Meh, they're not going to be paying him starter money.  The GM who drafted and extended Sanchez already got fired over it.  No one around the league is taking that kind of chance on Sanchez.

There's always a team out there that thinks they can "fix" a guy.  And it doesn't always mean they're dead wrong.  We know Sanchez sucks, but all you need out of a backup is a guy who can maybe win a spot-start when your starter is temporarily hurt.  A team with a strong system and good defense could probably get that out of him.

Meh, they're not going to be paying him starter money.  The GM who drafted and extended Sanchez already got fired over it.  No one around the league is taking that kind of chance on Sanchez.

There's always a team out there that thinks they can "fix" a guy.  And it doesn't always mean they're dead wrong.  We know Sanchez sucks, but all you need out of a backup is a guy who can maybe win a spot-start when your starter is temporarily hurt.  A team with a strong system and good defense could probably get that out of him.

As long has he's not the #1 option, and he just has to come in for "relief", then you are probably right, but he also strikes me as someone who may whine because he isn't the starter, and cause friction in that area. Either way, good riddance, from the Jets point of view. The "SANCHEZ chapter", has just been another bad chapter for ever suffering Jet Fans.

but he also strikes me as someone who may whine because he isn't the starter, and cause friction in that area.

lol, he has no leverage in that.  The salary a team pays him will dictate his role.  No one is giving him starter money, hence he has to earn a starting job.  Period.  Especially when he's coming off an injury.

As long has he's not the #1 option, and he just has to come in for "relief", then you are probably right, but he also strikes me as someone who may whine because he isn't the starter, and cause friction in that area. Either way, good riddance, from the Jets point of view. The "SANCHEZ chapter", has just been another bad chapter for ever suffering Jet Fans.

Teams still sign Matt Flynn or show some interest in that guy.   And all he really did in his entire career was have 1 good game in a meaningless spot at the end of the season.     So teams will show some interest in Sanchez.   He hasn't shown to be some a-hole or bad see at this point.

It does not make any sence, to try and trade Mark, it will cost us to much money (eating contract) to make a trade. Plus what will you get for him a 6-7th rounder? He's a gonner, It would be a backward step and very stupid even for the Jets to resign the guy. The fan base hate him and Idzik needs to move on and he knows that.

Teams still sign Matt Flynn or show some interest in that guy.   And all he really did in his entire career was have 1 good game in a meaningless spot at the end of the season.     So teams will show some interest in Sanchez.   He hasn't shown to be some a-hole or bad see at this point.

Flynn though never a great QB, also never showed some of the incredible flaws that SANCHEZ has, like staring receivers, not being able to read defenses, making incredibly poor decisions, and being very inaccurate.

Its one of those deals basically, where SANCHEZ has already proven he is an awful QB, while Flynn is still going through the process.

Archived