does sammy watkins deserve a julio jones type trade?

Jetknowledge

Every quarterback needs a reliable playmaker, who can consistently get open or make the tough catch. A go to guy. Alot of receivers don't get the credit they deserve because of there qb's name and vice versa but none the less the jets don't have this combination.

Sammy watkins has a nice nfl size and skill set, and can only get better.

The jets were literally 1 game away from the playoffs with out a thousand yard receiver.

How big of a impact watkins can make as a rookie is unknown.

But long term if health isn't a concern with quality qb play he could be the best jet receiver of all time.

So would he be worth a ransom for the 3rd overall pick if he is available?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough question with a very safe answer of no. Anything expensive is bad, and something about team not being ready because rebuild. I wouldn't openly root for it, but if Idzik did it I would be pretty happy. I'm still pissed about the Texans taking Andre Johnson in 2003 one pick in front of the desperate Jets. 

Every quarterback needs a reliable playmaker, who can consistently get open or make the tough catch. A go to guy. Alot of receivers don't get the credit they deserve because of there qb's name and vice versa but none the less the jets don't have this combination.

The jets were literally 1 game away from the playoffs with out a thousand yard receiver.

But long term if health isn't a concern with quality qb play he could be the best jet receiver of all time.

Ever seen Don Maynard, George Sauer, Wesley Walker or Al Toon?  Instant this, and instant that.  Get an effin' clue.

Tough question with a very safe answer of no. Anything expensive is bad, and something about team not being ready because rebuild. I wouldn't openly root for it, but if Idzik did it I would be pretty happy. I'm still pissed about the Texans taking Andre Johnson in 2003 one pick in front of the desperate Jets.

Well, that clears everything up.

Ever seen Don Maynard, George Sauer, Wesley Walker or Al Toon? Instant this, and instant that. Get an effin' clue.

There gone.

Smarten up we need to find the future and for the record the league has seen better receivers and talent since them.

Truth is there's no player you can guaranty a bust or boom.

That's why I said COULD BE.

But if you really look at what we need and what he brings to the table then you wouldn't have brought them up.

You would be judging his talent, potential, and character.

No, hopefully Evans or Lee will fall to us.

I have questions with Lee's health, and strength.

With Evans i dont know how fast he is and question how good he'll be in the nfl without johnny manziel.

Watkins has to improve his route running and sanjay will have him ready by week 1.

NO WAY, if we are trading up to #3 or higher, it can only be for a FRANCHISE QB. Trading up all those picks that will be necessary to get to #3, is only worth doing for a QB, period. This draft is absolutely LOADED with great WR's but only TWO QB's are worth getting to #3 or better.

If Idzik trades up to #3, and takes a WR, he would be beheaded, but if he trades up and grabs either Manziel or Bridgewater, he would be a GOD.

I believe Idzik's goal, is to keep this team from relying on rookie contributions to put us over the top. With the cap situation rectified, and the allotment of draft picks we'll have, I fully expect us to use FA to address the starting lineup and the draft to augment that with talent and depth. In other words, the draft is about building continuous success, and FA is about attack the immediate needs. 

With a philosophy like that, in what I've read is a WR heavy draft, I don't see any way in hell that we trade up for Watkins. 

When the Falcons did it, the perception in their front office was that they were 1-2 players away from being a contender. We are not in that situation. As the Falcons have learned, with each year of playoff choking, what they gave up for Julio may end up leaving their team ill-prepared to keep fielding a potential contender.

I want nothing to do with a "mortgage the future for one player" scenario. So, it's an interesting question to pose especially in the low point of the off-season, but we'd have to be irresponsible, stupid and crazy to do it.

NO WAY, if we are trading up to #3 or higher, it can only be for a FRANCHISE QB. Trading up all those picks that will be necessary to get to #3, is only worth doing for a QB, period. This draft is absolutely LOADED with great WR's but only TWO QB's are worth getting to #3 or better.

If Idzik trades up to #3, and takes a WR, he would be beheaded, but if he trades up and grabs either Manziel or Bridgewater, he would be a GOD.

Watkins is probably more of a sure thing than Bridgewater, and definitely more than Manziel.

These are pipe dreams, though, the idea of the Jets moving up that far. It's just too expensive in terms of picks for really questionable returns, on a team with more holes than resources as it is.

Watkins is probably more of a sure thing than Bridgewater, and definitely more than Manziel.

These are pipe dreams, though, the idea of the Jets moving up that far. It's just too expensive in terms of picks for really questionable returns, on a team with more holes than resources as it is.

I agree. I was just pointing out that moves like that (like the REDSKINS 2 years ago) is reserved for Franchise QB's, and not for WR's, even one as good as Watkins.

what if and just what if he is there at 10 giving up a 3rd and a 5th? is that too much? but we also need a TE,OLB,S and some OL, this draft is full of very good WRs i guess this draft will be exiting

No, this would be a great trade. I would give up this to get to #10 to get him, but this is totally different than getting to #3 and mortgaging the farm to move there.

He's worth a 3rd and 5th to get him. His numbers were crazy and that was with BOYD throwing it.

No, this would be a great trade. I would give up this to get to #10 to get him, but this is totally different than getting to #3 and mortgaging the farm to move there.

He's worth a 3rd and 5th to get him. His numbers were crazy and that was with BOYD throwing it.

yeah he is the type of player that made his Qb look good when the Qb really is not a true playmaker

yeah he is the type of player that made his Qb look good when the Qb really is not a true playmaker

Agreed, Tajh Boyd is awful, and his accuracy is woeful. In the one game where he faced a real defense, Florida State, he was completely exposed. All that however makes Watkins stats even more remarkable.

Tajh Boyd, is a Smith/Manuel clone.

Agreed, Tajh Boyd is awful, and his accuracy is woeful. In the one game where he faced a real defense, Florida State, he was completely exposed. All that however makes Watkins stats even more remarkable.

Tajh Boyd, is a Smith/Manuel clone.

hahaha true if we dint have so many needs this kid would be great to have, but who knows maybe somebody in the 5th will become Colston or someone like him

Had this class of WRs came out last season if it was possible, Lee would have been the top dog! Being at the 18 spot I hope we get this guy. If he passes by the Rams I would be all for trading ahead of the Ravens to secure him. As for making a Julio type trade we better not. I hope we don't trade any future pick especially next year 1st which we go into getting a QB.

• Julio Jones is a great WR. Even has a pretty good QB throwing to him.  ATL wasn't in the playoffs.
  • Megatron?  Even with Stafford?  No playoffs.
  • Fitzgerald?  No playoffs
  • Andre Johnson?  2-14 record this season

I'm not feeling the need to trade a king's ransom to get a WR who MIGHT be almost as good as these guys. 

• Julio Jones is a great WR. Even has a pretty good QB throwing to him.  ATL wasn't in the playoffs.
  • Megatron?  Even with Stafford?  No playoffs.
  • Fitzgerald?  No playoffs
  • Andre Johnson?  2-14 record this season

I'm not feeling the need to trade a king's ransom to get a WR who MIGHT be almost as good as these guys. 

I repped you for the new angle.  But I'll add this twist:

Fitzgerald was fundamental in the Cardinals making an improbable trip to the Super Bowl with Kurt Warner at the helm, and his 2 TDs in that game kept them in it.  His ability to record 1,400 rec yards (four times in his career) would keep the Cardinals in the conversation were they not in a division which boasts San Francisco and Seattle.  They went 10-6 last year.  When Fitzy has a down year (2010, 2012) the Cards go 5-11. 

Megatron has been the extent of the Lions offense until Reggie showed up.  They're just a doomed franchise; how else can you explain have the league leading record in reception yards (in history) on a 4 win team?  CJ, literally, on any other team, could single-handedly take them to the promised land year after year. 

B-u-u-u-t, Andre Johnson and Julio Jones are a different story.  Both are returning from multiple years of being in the playoffs.  Texans have been there 2 of the last 3 years, and the Falcons have been there 3 of the last 4.  Last year's anomaly of a season for both clubs had less to do with receiver play, and more to do with total team break-down in up-and-coming divisions. 

I believe Idzik's goal, is to keep this team from relying on rookie contributions to put us over the top. With the cap situation rectified, and the allotment of draft picks we'll have, I fully expect us to use FA to address the starting lineup and the draft to augment that with talent and depth. In other words, the draft is about building continuous success, and FA is about attack the immediate needs. 

With a philosophy like that, in what I've read is a WR heavy draft, I don't see any way in hell that we trade up for Watkins. 

When the Falcons did it, the perception in their front office was that they were 1-2 players away from being a contender. We are not in that situation. As the Falcons have learned, with each year of playoff choking, what they gave up for Julio may end up leaving their team ill-prepared to keep fielding a potential contender.

I want nothing to do with a "mortgage the future for one player" scenario. So, it's an interesting question to pose especially in the low point of the off-season, but we'd have to be irresponsible, stupid and crazy to do it.

Absolutely nothing in Idzik's background suggests that. Quite the opposite in fact

Archived