does sammy watkins deserve a julio jones type trade?

Jetknowledge

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanders-Maclin-Kerley-Watkins-Nelson those are the 5 WRs I want on the 2014 Jets opening day roster.

If we sign our starting lineup in free agency (Sanders AND Maclin), I highly doubt we would trade away multiple picks to land Sammy Watkins.  In that scenario, we let the draft come to us and play the BAP game.  

WHY would we sign those guys, and draft Watkins to have one of them sit on the bench?

Also, I strongly believe Stephen Hill is retained and further developed.  Size/Speed guys who are drafted to be developed aren't quit on in their third year, so some other team can reap the benefits. 

Agreed, Tajh Boyd is awful, and his accuracy is woeful. In the one game where he faced a real defense, Florida State, he was completely exposed. All that however makes Watkins stats even more remarkable.

Tajh Boyd, is a Smith/Manuel clone.

Yah. They all look alike! 

Agreed, Tajh Boyd is awful, and his accuracy is woeful. In the one game where he faced a real defense, Florida State, he was completely exposed. All that however makes Watkins stats even more remarkable.

Tajh Boyd, is a Smith/Manuel clone.

If one of your defining criteria on judging WRs is the caliber of QB they're playing with, then why don't you rate Marqise Lee higher? He put up video game numbers in one of the best defensive conferences in the NCAA with Matt Barkley as his QB. Most stud WRs played with sh*tty QBs in college, because most QBs in college are sh*tty. For the record, both Barkley and Boyd have been excellent college QBs, even though both are not going to do much, if anything in the NFL. 

If one of your defining criteria on judging WRs is the caliber of QB they're playing with, then why don't you rate Marqise Lee higher? He put up video game numbers in one of the best defensive conferences in the NCAA with Matt Barkley as his QB. Most stud WRs played with sh*tty QBs in college, because most QBs in college are sh*tty. For the record, both Barkley and Boyd have been excellent college QBs, even though both are not going to do much, if anything in the NFL. 

The Pac 12 is one of the best defensive conferences? I am asking, as they always say how wide open the offenses are in the pac 12.

I am back and forth on Lee. That system out there allows Receivers to get separation as the O-lines are usually monsters. Lee is fast ( I want to see his 40 in Indy), but I'm just not sure he is as physical as say Evans or Matthews and Benjamin. Would I be disappointed if they took Lee at 18? Absolutely NOT, but I like the big, tough receivers who use their bodies to ward off, and catch with their hands.

The Pac 12 is one of the best defensive conferences? I am asking, as they always say how wide open the offenses are in the pac 12.

Yes, the Pac-12 is a good conference in general. The SEC fappage leaves it a little ignored, but a ton of league talent comes from the Pac-12 and it's both sides of the ball. 

I am back and forth on Lee. That system out there allows Receivers to get separation as the O-lines are usually monsters. Lee is fast ( I want to see his 40 in Indy), but I'm just not sure he is as physical as say Evans or Matthews and Benjamin. Would I be disappointed if they took Lee at 18? Absolutely NOT, but I like the big, tough receivers who use their bodies to ward off, and catch with their hands.

Judging be certain metrics, this was a down year for the SEC and the PAC-12 was the best defense in the country, and they have been second behind the SEC for a while.  Not that it really matters, as you still have to judge each WR on their own merit, but it certainly doesn't hurt their evaluation.  Especially when you see Lee go up against guys like Ekpre-Olomu in their conference. 

I've said it for a while and as much as I love Watkins, which I do, I still think Lee's the best WR with the ball in his hands. Don't get me wrong, I love Watkins, but I just prefer Lee.  Which is why I wouldn't trade away the farm for someone I don't deem head and shoulders better than the other receivers. This is a very, very deep WR draft, so trading assets away doesn't seem smart in my eyes, with all the needs we have on our team.  But then again, I'm not a scout or GM: if they think Watkins is better than any other receiver plus the picks we give up, go ahead, just don't make a habit of it as that's how Tanny hurt us.

Judging be certain metrics, this was a down year for the SEC and the PAC-12 was the best defense in the country, and they have been second behind the SEC for a while.  Not that it really matters, as you still have to judge each WR on their own merit, but it certainly doesn't hurt their evaluation.  Especially when you see Lee go up against guys like Ekpre-Olomu in their conference. 

I've said it for a while and as much as I love Watkins, which I do, I still think Lee's the best WR with the ball in his hands. Don't get me wrong, I love Watkins, but I just prefer Lee.  Which is why I wouldn't trade away the farm for someone I don't deem head and shoulders better than the other receivers. This is a very, very deep WR draft, so trading assets away doesn't seem smart in my eyes, with all the needs we have on our team.  But then again, I'm not a scout or GM: if they think Watkins is better than any other receiver plus the picks we give up, go ahead, just don't make a habit of it as that's how Tanny hurt us.

I agree with this 100%. Moving to 10 and giving up a 3rd an 5th to nab Watkins, in my opinion is fine, that's not a great deal to give up considering all the picks we have. The other scenario to move to #3 to get a WR, especially in this wr Deep class makes no sense.

If Lee runs sub4.4 or right around 4.4, then I would feel really good about him falling to us. He looks very fast, but I still want to see his number. The bigger guys to me don't need a real fast number. They cant be 4.6 but they don't need to be burners.

As I said, I would not be disappointed with Lee.

When did Bit get another account?

If I was interested in changing username, I would have done it a long time ago.

BTW the answer is no because Sammy Watkins is like tavon Austin. Julio is like Calvin.

As for Lee, if the jets draft another usc skills guy ill put my eyes out, Oedipus style.

what if and just what if he is there at 10 giving up a 3rd and a 5th? is that too much? but we also need a TE,OLB,S and some OL, this draft is full of very good WRs i guess this draft will be exiting

If it's only a 3rd and 5th then yeah I would definitely do that. Not sure if that's enough to get you up to 10 but if it was I would do it.

BTW the answer is no because Sammy Watkins is like tavon Austin. Julio is like Calvin.

As for Lee, if the jets draft another usc skills guy ill put my eyes out, Oedipus style.

Aside from his alma mater, what do you dislike about Marquise Lee?

Better hope for Mike Evans then. I'll be pissed if we draft a tight end in the first, tight end's drafted that highly usually are never worth their draft position.

Nah, Hill was supposed to be (I'm still hoping he can turn into) the next Demaryius Thomas or Calvin Johnson. Evans is supposed to be the next V-Jax.

No second round WR should ever expected to be in the same class as arguably the best WR prospect in draft history currently on a HOF pace. People were calling Thomas a bust after his first season, and he didn't exactly light the world on fire in his second. He was still better than Hill. 

No second round WR should ever expected to be in the same class as arguably the best WR prospect in draft history currently on a HOF pace. People were calling Thomas a bust after his first season, and he didn't exactly light the world on fire in his second. He was still better than Hill. 

Demaryius blew his achilles.  Big factor in how long it took him to break out.

Maybe somebody moves up for Sammy, but the Jets have two third rounders and it's a deep draft for receivers.  It seems like a good time to hold on and get as many good players as you can.  The Jets do need an impact player on offense, but a QB is where they should be looking if they are considering moving up.  Get a QB that can really play.  That's how you level-jump the offense.  

If you look at what the Jets will have in terms of picks, maybe a smaller move or a few smaller moves is more likely than a significant move up in the first round.  They could use a few later picks to move up in the second to land a particular QB or WR.  That would certainly make sense if the right player is slipping.  They could also look to move their 4th rounder up into the 3rd or something along those lines.  

Teams like Detroit are already expressing a desire to add picks.  The Jets could have as many as 12 heading into the draft.  I'd be really surprised if we aren't involved in some kind of deal.

Watkins and Benjamin are big tough go get the ball  type WRs we need at least 1 of them In this draft.

Like Watkins as much as the next guy, but half is game was revolved around catching the ball behind or at the LOS. Some of the best guys at attacking the football, like Beckham and Cooks, aren't over 6'.  While I do like Benjamin and Evans, I think people are once again confusing catching in traffic/making tough catches to being large.  

Matt Ryan was already thought to be on his way to being a great QB at that point.   They had other pieces in place.   Whether it was the right move to trade away a ton is irrelevant because they thought Jones was the guy who was going to put them over the top.

The Jets are in the same spot as the Bucs last season.  All hype for a team who really isn't that good.   And if Geno stinks,  you just traded away a ton of players for a WR who has nobody to throw to him and who knows if he ever will.   And then you might not even be in position to pick your next QB because of giving up too much.

It's worked OK for the Falcons so far, but there's no rule out there that says you need a topflight WR to be successful in the NFL.  And I don't think Watkins is nearly the caliber of prospect that the Falcons game up a massive amount of picks for.

Stick and pick unless we're moving up for a QB.

It's worked OK for the Falcons so far, but there's no rule out there that says you need a topflight WR to be successful in the NFL.  And I don't think Watkins is nearly the caliber of prospect that the Falcons game up a massive amount of picks for.

Stick and pick unless we're moving up for a QB.

We don't need a QB Geno Smith threw for 3000 yards with the worst WRs in the NFL.

That's honestly what people were expecting him to become, he was that athletic. I honestly think Hill can still become a wr on par with Thomas, he just needs a qb to stop getting him killed. He was putting together a pretty good year before Smith let him get lit up by the Titans and by Polamalu, after that he was on the IR. Which is exactly why we need to draft a qb.

Im not crowing im saying we had garbage WRs and he managed to throw for 3000.

Along with throw an assload of interceptions, get said wr's killed, do his best Sanchize impression with the butt fumble and running out of his end zone. It's like all these Geno supporters have been blinded by how sh*tty Smith was, and once he stepped up his game from sh*t to awful, he was somehow crowned the Jets savior. A guy who stares down receivers and has wildly inconsistent accuracy is our savior, right.

Im not crowing im saying we had garbage WRs and he managed to throw for 3000.

He played with the same receivers Sanchize did and people were saying weapons were stupid and calling for him to be benched. This garbage wr's argument is bullsh*t, put a good qb on this team and we wouldn't be talking about how crappy our wr's are. Ever seen who Luck has thrown to?

That's honestly what people were expecting him to become, he was that athletic. I honestly think Hill can still become a wr on par with Thomas, he just needs a qb to stop getting him killed. He was putting together a pretty good year before Smith let him get lit up by the Titans and by Polamalu, after that he was on the IR. Which is exactly why we need to draft a qb.

Along with throw an assload of interceptions, get said wr's killed, do his best Sanchize impression with the butt fumble and running out of his end zone. It's like all these Geno supporters have been blinded by how sh*tty Smith was, and once he stepped up his game from sh*t to awful, he was somehow crowned the Jets savior. A guy who stares down receivers and has wildly inconsistent accuracy is our savior, right.

Rookie QB on a team with a shaky OL and the worst WRs in the NFL yes its all Geno Smith's fault.

Shaky Oline? Ever seen who Rodgers plays behind? Eli? Cutler? Rothelisberger? It's more like the idiot can't sense or point out the blitz. He's garbage. He's Sanchize all over again.

Cant keep wasting draft picks on QBs...........45 years and counting...surround Geno with talent and we can win the big game with him at QB.

That doesn't seem honest. 

Based on what? What exactly did you see last season that makes you think Geno can win a playoff game nonetheless a Super Bowl? Come on.

Strong arm, can make all of the throws. Stronger arm than Sanchez ever had. Let league in deep ball accuracy early on.

Good speed but more importantly a great runner, he knows what he's doing out there. Doesn't take off before the play is broken but when he does take off he knows where he's going and has some nice moves. Significantly better than Sanchez in that category as well.

Improved ball security in the 2nd half of the season, especially as far as hanging on to the ball while running or when getting hit. Statistics, not perception - look it up. Pocket presence improved in the 2nd half again based on statistics not perception, sack numbers went way down in the 2nd half of the season.

Archived