does sammy watkins deserve a julio jones type trade?

Jetknowledge

didn't he have a knee injury? is that the thing to worry about? If he breaks 4.5 then yes we can talk about it. But it's not really Idzik's MO to take a pretty good athlete in rd 1 with more than enough speed. He wants the rare athlete with freak speed. 

This past year he did, yes, but he he shined in his bowl game and showed his recovery. Pretty good athlete? He's probably one of the most athletic guys in the draft. I just don't think you realize how explosive a 25-5 long jump and running a 10.7 100 really is.  

Dee ran a 4.37 and quieted critics who didn't think he timed well and I'm pretty sure the best 100 meters he had in HS or at 'Bama was "only" 10.9. Lee is an athletic beast, just wait and see. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, they traded the two #1's the night before the draft, and the fourth rounder was contingent on the player they wanted being there. Everyone else in the league sets up deals to be completed on draft day if the draft falls the way they hope, but not our man Bradway. That was mind-boggling.

Didn't know the 4th was conditional.  Hardly makes it any less stupid. 

It's pretty obvious you have no idea what I was trying to say to JoeWilly12.

I think you're right I re read your statement and I apologize I can see where you're coming from, but idzik wants competition so no starter is a guaranteed starter next year they have to come in and earn it. Even FA

Umm, are you forgetting about trading up for Chad Jackson? And Bethel Johnson, Brandon Tate, Taylor Price, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce... He's an astute judge of top WR talent in the draft that Belichick.

I hope you feel appropriately embarrassed now.

Belichick doesn't let himself get wowed by freak talent he aims for discipline, work ethic, and system fit.

That's why he's a genius.

Pretty good athlete? He's probably one of the most athletic guys in the draft. I just don't think you realize how explosive a 25-5 long jump and running a 10.7 100 really is.   

these are times from junior year of high school right? that was over 4 years ago. every year guys who were supposedly fast in HS don't show it at Indy. We shall see. If Lee is the athlete you say he is, he's on the short list. I don't know if he's quite that fast anymore. 

these are times from junior year of high school right? that was over 4 years ago. every year guys who were supposedly fast in HS don't show it at Indy. We shall see. If Lee is the athlete you say he is, he's on the short list. I don't know if he's quite that fast anymore. 

The open 100m was from high school, but he competed primarily in the Long Jump and 4x100 in college. While it's hard to get accurate times for the 100 running in the relay, his splits were still extremely fast. I forget which website was doing it, but it showed how long jump, vert and the other explosion numbers were indicative of future success. You're right though, we're gonna have to wait and see until the combine, but I believe he's gonna do very well at the combine.

Hasn't the Julio Jones trade been a flop? The falcons were close at the time of the trade, and acquired a stud, but the cost of the deal left them unable to adequately address depth concerns. Look at what happened to them this past season, injuries ravaged all phases of the team and they bottomed out. We are not nearly as close as the Falcons were at the time of the Jones trade, and for them the cost of acquiring top talent at all cost has hurt them. Keep the picks, build the team.

Hasn't the Julio Jones trade been a flop? The falcons were close at the time of the trade, and acquired a stud, but the cost of the deal left them unable to adequately address depth concerns. Look at what happened to them this past season, injuries ravaged all phases of the team and they bottomed out. We are not nearly as close as the Falcons were at the time of the Jones trade, and for them the cost of acquiring top talent at all cost has hurt them. Keep the picks, build the team.

ONLY use picks on a FRANCHISE QB, NOT any other position. period.

You're right though, we're gonna have to wait and see until the combine, but I believe he's gonna do very well at the combine.

if you are right, if he runs that high 4.3/low 4.4 he's not gonna be there at 18. that message was brought to you by debbie downer.  

ONLY use picks on a FRANCHISE QB, NOT any other position. period.

I agree, but even still I wouldn't sell the farm for a QB this year. In order to properly evaluate what we already have in Geno Smith, he needs another year with real weapons this time. If we see the same mistakes and overall ineptitude, then we relegate him to backup/mop up duty and move forward with another QB. It is really hard to get a read on Geno after his rookie season due to the lack of players around him. We aren't winning the Super Bowl next year anyway, so building the rest of the team is still a priority. Let's give Geno a fair shot this time. 

If Lee isn't there somebody who didn't go to USC will be. Even if he does test out does the upside match the other receivers in the same tier?

I still think there is a good chance that Mike Evans runs slightly slower than some hope, and he falls to 18. Evans, barring injury, will be in this league a long time because he knows how to use his huge frame to catch the ball. In terms of separation, what he lacks in quickness is more than made up for in his ability to box out smaller defenders for the ball. He is the type of target that Geno really needs. 

I agree, but even still I wouldn't sell the farm for a QB this year. In order to properly evaluate what we already have in Geno Smith, he needs another year with real weapons this time. If we see the same mistakes and overall ineptitude, then we relegate him to backup/mop up duty and move forward with another QB. It is really hard to get a read on Geno after his rookie season due to the lack of players around him. We aren't winning the Super Bowl next year anyway, so building the rest of the team is still a priority. Let's give Geno a fair shot this time. 

Jamies Winston or Marcus Mariota in 2015?

if you are right, if he runs that high 4.3/low 4.4 he's not gonna be there at 18. that message was brought to you by debbie downer.  

I'm just not sure I see three WRs going in the first 17 picks, but it's certainly possible. I expect him to be gone, because I think he's the best WR in draft, but crazier things have happened.  If Watkins, Evans and Lee are gone, I would imagine you've got Beckham, Ebron, Robinson and a host of very good defensive players available.  Personally, ASJ is my favorite TE in the drat, has been for some time, so I'd rather steer clear of Ebron or Amaro in the first and just go whatever BPA is, be it Clinton-Dix or whomever. 

I still think there is a good chance that Mike Evans runs slightly slower than some hope, and he falls to 18. Evans, barring injury, will be in this league a long time because he knows how to use his huge frame to catch the ball. In terms of separation, what he lacks in quickness is more than made up for in his ability to box out smaller defenders for the ball. He is the type of target that Geno really needs. 

I think Evans is a guaranteed lock in Pittsburgh or Baltimore as both FOs have promised their respective quarterbacks they'd get them a big-bodied receiver. But this will all shake out a lot more in a couple of weeks once the combine is over.

Jamies Winston or Marcus Mariota in 2015?

Hopefully QB won't be an area that needs to be address, but even if it is I doubt that we will suck enough next year to land a pick high enough to take those guys. I need to see more Mariota next year. His tools are unquestionable, but I am interested in seeing how he develops as a passer this coming season. I felt more comfortable about Geno, strictly as a passer, than I do about Mariota at this point in his development. 

Hopefully QB won't be an area that needs to be address, but even if it is I doubt that we will suck enough next year to land a pick high enough to take those guys. I need to see more Mariota next year. His tools are unquestionable, but I am interested in seeing how he develops as a passer this coming season. I felt more comfortable about Geno, strictly as a passer, than I do about Mariota at this point in his development. 

With the Jets upcoming 2014 schedule (Its brutal), if Geno doesn't move forward, or pulls a Sanchez and regresses, then we would be looking at a very high draft pick, and probably wouldn't take much in a trade to move to where we could get Winston, or at least Mariota.

My hope of course is that Idzik moves up this year and gets either Manziel or Bridgewater ( I am not a fan of Bortles), but I doubt that happens. Hopefully, we bring in a top vet to compete with Geno, and if St. Louis isreally serious about a QB at #2, then we should definitely pursue Bradford.

With the Jets upcoming 2014 schedule (Its brutal), if Geno doesn't move forward, or pulls a Sanchez and regresses, then we would be looking at a very high draft pick, and probably wouldn't take much in a trade to move to where we could get Winston, or at least Mariota.

My hope of course is that Idzik moves up this year and gets either Manziel or Bridgewater ( I am not a fan of Bortles), but I doubt that happens. Hopefully, we bring in a top vet to compete with Geno, and if St. Louis isreally serious about a QB at #2, then we should definitely pursue Bradford.

I am expecting a better supporting cast and a very stout defense that will keep the scores close next year. I think that even with marginal progress from Geno next year, with better players around him, I think 6-10 is our absolute floor; which probably has us picking in the early teens, much too low to take either of those two.

Archived