Competing Teams in FA and Cap Strapped teams

eboozer

Flush with cash

#1 Raiders... $64 mil  These guys worry me. Hopefully Marc Davis is cheap

#2 Jags........ $53 mil Khan has the B@lls to spend heavy, though his fan base sucks

#3 Browns.. $50 mil they could pull the trigger on big players despite Owners legal struggles

#4 Colts...... $37 mil Owner's a knucklehead but will spend whatever it takes to get Luck more rings than Peyton

#5 Dolphins..$35 mil Ross needs a winner after this years embarrassment

#6a/ 6b Packers & Redskins.. $28 mil Packers spend wisely, Redskins foolishly with Snyder

#8 Buffalo... $27mil Must overpay to get players to come to Buffalo

#9 Bengals.. $25 mil Very close to getting deep into playoffs. Attractive to FA's

#10 Vikings.. $24 mil Some very good young talent. Playing outdoors next couple of years. Yikes. Need QB

#11 Eagles.. $21.5 mil Offense and emerging "D" Attractive landing spot. Owner willing to spend

#12 Jets... $21 mil ( this is w/o Sanchez/Holmes/Cro added) Could be upwards of $50 mil.

#13 Broncos.. $18 mil Place to go if you're looking to win now. Owner spends

#14 Panthers.. $16 mil awesome "D" emerging QB... Tough division

#15 Giants.. $13 mil Have 23 FA's of their own. Doubt they contend this year

Teams in Cap trouble  

Steelers ($11.7 mil)

Saints ($9.3 mil)

Cowboys ($21 mil)

Lions ($5 mil)

We're going to have a lot of competition for a small amount of quality FA's. I hope Idzik & Rex can sell them on our team. Getting a quality FA QB in here fast would help. Someone who has the confidence of these players that if Geno can't pull his weight, we've got a quality vet who can step in and save the season. For Rex, a step backwards could cost him his job.

WOW, who's running INDIANAPOLIS? Playoff team the past 2 years. Have the best Young QB to enter the league since Elway and have 37 million in cap space.

If their is ever a team in the AFC that will be dominant in the AFC for years to come, its the Colts. They will be attracting the best FA's, especially WR's that want to play with Luck, and have Wayne coming off injury. If they draft well this year, they are the clear favorites in the AFC in 2014.

This list is difficult to navigate without knowing the team's respective RFAs and UFAs they want to sign. For instance: Cleveland is going to have to spend heavily on Mack and Ward if they want them to stay, and consider they're two of the best at their position, they should and probably will. The Raiders will probably want to retain Rashad Jennings and possibly  one or multiple of Jacoby Ford, Tracy Porter, Woodson, Mke Jenkins or Khalif Barnes.  

We have a handful of our own players we need to and will resign, so this is really difficult to say as of yet.  I still think people who want a big splash are going to be disappointed. 

haha cowgirls

They may have to try and trade Ware. Romo, Ware and Brandon Carr account for around $50 mil alone!!!

Jerry may want to reconsider this whole GM thing. If I'm Tannenbaum, I give this clown a call.

This list is difficult to navigate without knowing the team's respective RFAs and UFAs they want to sign. For instance: Cleveland is going to have to spend heavily on Mack and Ward if they want them to stay, and consider they're two of the best at their position, they should and probably will. The Raiders will probably want to retain Rashad Jennings and possibly  one or multiple of Jacoby Ford, Tracy Porter, Woodson, Mke Jenkins or Khalif Barnes.  

We have a handful of our own players we need to and will resign, so this is really difficult to say as of yet.  I still think people who want a big splash are going to be disappointed. 

That's a player I like for the Jets. 

Has Khalif Barnes turned into a reliable OL? Didn't know that, but the Raiders' top priority should be Veldheer. 

I was trying to give the whole list but the way it formatted on the jetnation site made it impossible to read. I too was looking at Cle. and thinking about Ward and Mack. Also the Eagles have some players they need to keep.

For many of the other teams, like the Jets, their FA's are not irreplaceable

An idiot born with a lucky horse shoe up his ass

WOW, I guess so. Dude had Manning, has 1 down year, gets rid of an aging Peyton, gets the best young QB to come into the league in at least 10 or 12 years, gets his best WR injured, but comes up with TY Hilton, and now will be getting a #1 receiver back, and has 37 million in cap space to pick and choose and fill in some voids.

Indy could be SCARY good for a long time.

Not really. Just guys like Austin Howard, Willie Colon, Nick Folk, can't even really think of anyone else. I guess if you're thinking Cro but his salary is going down if we bring him back. That's a light list.

Between the $50m+ (after cuts) and the relatively light list of free agents, if this isn't a big spending free agency then what is? I would love to know how far below the cap you have to be before it becomes possible to make a big splash. You hardly ever have 50m+ available.

Don't go s***** off Indy just yet, gents.  

They aren't PAYING Andrew Luck like a stud QB yet, so things look great.  Meanwhile, they traded their first rounder for a RB that will need to be paid around the same time as Luck, which was stupid.  They will have significant cap problems soon enough and they have issues onr their offensive line and some holes on the D too.  They need that cap space just to fill in those blanks.

Indy still needs to be smart if they are going to win more than they have.  If they did not have Luck, they'd be a doormat.

Don't go s***** off Indy just yet, gents.  

They aren't PAYING Andrew Luck like a stud QB yet, so things look great.  Meanwhile, they traded their first rounder for a RB that will need to be paid around the same time as Luck, which was stupid.  They will have significant cap problems soon enough and they have issues onr their offensive line and some holes on the D too.  They need that cap space just to fill in those blanks.

Indy still needs to be smart if they are going to win more than they have.  If they did not have Luck, they'd be a doormat.

One more season like 2013 and Indy won't have to worry about re-signing Trent. They'll take a RB this year for sure, with Donald Brown being a FA and Trent due next year.

That list is inaccurate for reasons mentioned above and before.  The Jets have more than $20M in cap, and will have more after the expected high contracts are cut...the going number is $50-ish. (The article says such).  Similarly, the teams listed above the Jets have big money contracts on roster they will need to address to retain their talents.  That will cut into their supposed "flush" cap space.  When it's all said and done, the Jets should place no lower than #3 on that list, behind Oakland and Jaguars.  Our big city market, coaching staff, and other draws should make us a very attractive landing spot for free agents.  

Not really. Just guys like Austin Howard, Willie Colon, Nick Folk, can't even really think of anyone else. I guess if you're thinking Cro but his salary is going down if we bring him back. That's a light list.

Between the $50m+ (after cuts) and the relatively light list of free agents, if this isn't a big spending free agency then what is? I would love to know how far below the cap you have to be before it becomes possible to make a big splash. You hardly ever have 50m+ available.

Dude, are you arguing just to argue?  Would you like to discuss the exact quantity that defines handful? Clearly Howard and Folk are priorities and I'd be surprised if they didn't bring back Pace.  Besides them, you're going to see the majority of Douzable, Cumberland  Mauga, Lankster, Trufant, McIntyre, Bellore and Walls brought back, because you don't turnover half your special teams and expect that unit to get better.  Most of those guys the coaching staff is quite fond of and I doubt they'll be let go just to save a few 100k, as you'll have to replace them with someone. 

After cuts and re-signing our own players, we're not going to be near $50 million, but we will still have a good amount to work with.  The relatively light list is exactly the point, there's no can't miss prospects that deserve to have money thrown at them, thus, the "no big splash". It has nothing to do with how far below the cap we are and more that we are not a team that is one or two players away from the SB, which is why I don't feel Idzik will surrender a large chunk of our cap to someone who will be past their prime when we are SB contenders. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you have to spend it all. 

You do realize that they have to replace all those guys as well.  So even if those guys aren't great, the reality is they have to find new players to start on this team.   It's not like they would have some backup kicker who is free or cheap.  And I doubt they draft one.   And Cro isn't going to come back for $800K either.   So if he departs, they need to replace him as well.    

So if they make a huge splash and overpay for a guy like Decker, it probably means they wind up going cheaper to find another Kicker & CB to replace the guys who left.

You do realize that they have to replace all those guys as well.  So even if those guys aren't great, the reality is they have to find new players to start on this team.   It's not like they would have some backup kicker who is free or cheap.  And I doubt they draft one.   And Cro isn't going to come back for $800K either.   So if he departs, they need to replace him as well.    

So if they make a huge splash and overpay for a guy like Decker, it probably means they wind up going cheaper to find another Kicker & CB to replace the guys who left.

Sure, they have to replace a lot of guys on the bottom of the roster. Every team does. That's always the case. How many teams can you name that don't need to replace a bunch of guys on the bottom of their roster? The difference is that they don't have any big name free agents that they have to be worried about. The worst one is probably Cromartie (as a cut) and that's about as bad as it gets.

This is not controversial. You know it's true, everyone does. I don't understand why it's even up for discussion.

Hell, they can replace everyone decent on the roster and still have more than $30 million. Look at it: They have $20m now. Cut Holmes, Sanchez, Cro. That gives you an extra $26, putting you at $46. Sign your draft picks for $6m, that puts you down to $40m. Let's say, only for the sake of argument, that you draft a replacement for Cro, a replacement for Holmes, a replacement for Pace, a replacement for Howard, a replacement for Colon, a backup quarterback and a kicker in the 7th round. You've just replaced Holmes, Pace, Cro, Howard, Colon, Sanchez and Folk and you're $40m under the cap. Fill in the bottom of the roster for $10m or whatever.

Now you have $30m to work with. You want to extend Wilkerson and Kerley? Be my guest. Plenty of money left even if you do that.

Dude, are you arguing just to argue?  Would you like to discuss the exact quantity that defines handful? Clearly Howard and Folk are priorities and I'd be surprised if they didn't bring back Pace.  Besides them, you're going to see the majority of Douzable, Cumberland  Mauga, Lankster, Trufant, McIntyre, Bellore and Walls brought back, because you don't turnover half your special teams and expect that unit to get better.  Most of those guys the coaching staff is quite fond of and I doubt they'll be let go just to save a few 100k, as you'll have to replace them with someone. 

After cuts and re-signing our own players, we're not going to be near $50 million, but we will still have a good amount to work with.  The relatively light list is exactly the point, there's no can't miss prospects that deserve to have money thrown at them, thus, the "no big splash". It has nothing to do with how far below the cap we are and more that we are not a team that is one or two players away from the SB, which is why I don't feel Idzik will surrender a large chunk of our cap to someone who will be past their prime when we are SB contenders. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you have to spend it all.

i have to say let mauga go this kid has not played more then 3 games in two years and if he played more it was not much more, he is no worth taking a spot on this team

Sign Pettigrew, Henne, Maclin, and Byrd, bring back Cro, Pace, Colon, Hunter, Cumberland, and Ed Reed if he will come back on a 1 year contract. Draft a OLB, WR, S, and an OG with your first 4 picks in no particular order, BAP position wise in every round.

Archived