ESPN NY - Jets could check in on Matt Schaub

Gastineau Lives

Don't kill me for starting this thread. I mean they could be checking in on anyone, no?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/16/matt-schaub

ESPN New York reports the Jets "could check into the availability" of Matt Schaub.

Schaub is a near-lock to be released by the Texans, saving Houston $4 million against the 2014 cap. The Jets are in the market for a veteran to compete with Geno Smith this summer and have been linked to Michael Vick and now Schaub. Schaub has also been connected to the Raiders and shouldn't command more than $3-4 million annually on a backup-caliber contract.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why???? he had crazy talent with the texans and sucked what could he do here??????

How exactly does he suck?  He had one bad  season but has a QB rating of 90 over the course of his career.  At worst, he is a proven commodity who would make for a good back-up.  A change of scenery could do him a world of good.  

I think his confidence is shot.  I think Sanchez probably has more confidence than Schaub.  In fact, I think the best thing that happened to Sanchez was being out this past year.  He avoided merciless booing from the fans and the league is already looking at him in a more positive light (the "he'd start immediately for several teams" chatter).

I think his confidence is shot.  I think Sanchez probably has more confidence than Schaub.  In fact, I think the best thing that happened to Sanchez was being out this past year.  He avoided merciless booing from the fans and the league is already looking at him in a more positive light (the "he'd start immediately for several teams" chatter).

By the time he turns into the Mexican Rich Gannon the Jets will be long saved by Geno, who has got this. 

I'd like to see the Jets give Geno some serious weapons this off season and see what he can do. Let's get a legit #1 and #2 Wr to go with Kerley and Nelson . A serious LG a nice TE to start over Cumberland and Sudfeld but keeping both. And maybe a Sproles type to catch balls from the backfield would be lovely. Signing a Matt Schaub to back Geno up and compete with him isn't the worst plan in the world. It's MUCH better than Michael Vick for God's sakes.

If Geno sucks we have someone who can have a legitimate shot to save the season if we have the weapons around him. I like this plan and am now rooting for this to happen. It's my favorite plan up to this point.

IMO this by far is the Jets best option.  I think it could be done.

Guarantee him 4 million, 6 million if he wins the starting job.  8 if he goes to the play offs.  Think he would jump at it.

Guy is a 64% passer, consistently rated over 90.  I'm in

How exactly does he suck?  He had one bad  season but has a QB rating of 90 over the course of his career.  At worst, he is a proven commodity who would make for a good back-up.  A change of scenery could do him a world of good.

with the talent they had in the O side they should have been much better ok maybe he does not suck but im not crazy about the idea

It's not like there's a long list of pro bowl QBs to be had in free agency.  And incidentally that's what Schaub was the season before last.  

He's not anyone's dream QB but if he isn't as bad as he was last season in Houston this is exactly the type of QB Idzik should be going after if he isn't 100% full of it as far as competition. Then he should also draft another QB who isn't a Bollinger/Ainge waste.  One of the guys who "could have" gone as high as a late 1 or early 2 but who drops to rounds 3 or 4 for whatever stupid reason that doesn't affect his true talent/prospects.  

Heading into camp the roster should have Geno, Schaub, and Simms (plus any other undrafted camp fodder Idzik wants to bring in).  Out of those 4 the hope is Simms is the odd man out (unless he suddenly gets SO much better), and there's a legitimate competition for the starting job among 3 guys the team really has confidence in (instead of lip service from players who know deep down Sanchez sucks and Geno was probably going to suck as a rookie).

First step to getting there is to bring in a legitimate veteran QB (from the list of those available) who technically could go the whole season as the starter if he rebounds.

How exactly does he suck? He had one bad season but has a QB rating of 90 over the course of his career. At worst, he is a proven commodity who would make for a good back-up. A change of scenery could do him a world of good.

Andre Johnson, the best OLine, and running game in football! Dude is a bitch ass pussy who couldn't hold Mark Sanchez' jock strap, yes he is that bad!

Rex is like an elephant. He has a great memory. He remembers how Vick humiliated the Jets D.  Rex will be all in on signing Vick. He would fit right in since he knows Marty's system.  He would easily beat out scrub azz Eugene.  But I just cant deal with the dog thing hangin.  Just to much of a bad taste for me.  Sign Shaub although he sucks.  Draft a QB in round 2 - hopefully Garrapolo who can sit a year behind Shaub.  Garrapolo will easily beat out Smith who could then be cut in 2015.   

Archived