Statistical Breakdown of Geno Smith

flgreen

Statistical breakdown of Geno Smith

February, 12, 2014

FEB 12

5:00

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The stats-based website, Pro Football Focus, has revealed its 2013 accuracy percentages for quarterbacks. What makes this breakdown unique is that, unlike your basic completion percentage, it considers dropped passes, throwaways, spiked balls, batted passes and passes where the quarterback was hit while attempting to throw.

The New York Jets' Geno Smith ranks near the bottom in two of the three categories. A total of 41 quarterbacks qualified (based on a minimum of 175 dropbacks).

Overall Accuracy

Smith: 67.4 percent. Ranking: 39th

Note: The only quarterbacks lower than Smith were Eli Manning and Matt McGloin. Aaron Rodgers led the league at 79.3 percent.

Deep Passing

Smith: 46.7 percent. Ranking: Seventh

Note: A lot of surprises in the top 10, starting with Case Keenum -- a league-best 53.1 percent. Former Jet Kellen Clemens was fifth at 48.0.

Under Pressure

Smith: 55.5 percent. Ranking: 35th

Note: Josh McCown led the league at 77.0 percent. Surprisingly, the bottom 10 included Andrew Luck and Colin Kaepernick. At least Smith has good company.

More like this shows he was a rookie poorly handled by Rex with a lousy offensive line,

I guess Mike Glennon suffered the same fate with a coach who was fired and on a team equally as bad as ours. Eugene had a 66.5 QB rating - dead last. Glennon had a 83.9 ratimg ranked 21st.  Even scrubs like Weeden had a higher rating than Eugene hahahaha now that's funny.

I guess Mike Glennon suffered the same fate with a coach who was fired and on a team equally as bad as ours. Eugene had a 66.5 QB rating - dead last. Glennon had a 83.9 ratimg ranked 21st.  Even scrubs like Weeden had a higher rating than Eugene hahahaha now that's funny.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain those guys didn't benefit at all from having Vince Jackson or Josh Gordon to throw to. They're no better than Jeremy Kerley.

Overall Accuracy

Smith: 67.4 percent. Ranking: 39th

Note: The only quarterbacks lower than Smith were Eli Manning and Matt McGloin. Aaron Rodgers led the league at 79.3 percent.

67% only gets you to 39th?  Damn son.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain those guys didn't benefit at all from having Vince Jackson or Josh Gordon to throw to. They're no better than Jeremy Kerley.

I'm pretty sure they also didn't make great decisions like Eugene did in butt fumble and run out the back of his end zone. The Geno supporters are right, compared to early on in the season he did improve, although he still sucked balls.

I had the misfortune of not seeing Geno over the last 4 games.  So I saw no real improvement. Fact is, most rooks don't see the whole field.  Air Raid rooks probably less so.  When your wideouts stink (and I mean STINK) and average CBs can suck them up, what is a guy to do?  Apparently Geno improved his ball security.  Let us remember--Rex abandoned him about halfway through the season when he started thinking he could make the first round of the playoffs and lose 65-0.  It would have been a mirage for them to get there but Rex would have taken it.  Rex's job last year was to develop Geno, not give up on him until his team was out of it. Apparently his job security was hardly tentative.  The right thing to do would have been to let Geno battle through it or sit him out, not treat him like a handoff machine. Here is what I think Geno is capable of:  deep throws, escape runs.  Like most rookie QBs, the pro game is hard to pick up mentally.  Here is where I think Geno stinks:  crossing patterns, touch passes.  Is he accurate?  No, but I think he can throw some of the hard passes pretty well.  If there was someone there I would draft him.  There won't be.  And this team cannot afford to trade up. Let's hope he picks up the mental part and takes care of the ball.  Those crossing pattern passes can be learned.  I do not know if he will ever have touch.

It's not only the fact that his wide receivers and tight ends sucked, it's also that none of them even played the whole season with him. His top 3 receivers by the numbers (Kerley, Holmes, Nelson) each played 12 games or less IIRC. That's tough when you have no consistent threats. To get an idea of how much injuries plagued us at that position just start listing off everyone who appeared in at least a couple games at WR/TE: Cumberland, Sudfeld, Winslow, there was another TE also I believe, Kerley, Nelson, Hill, Salas, Holmes, Cribbs, Gates, Salim, ... on and on.

That's not his completion percentage.  He was around 55%.  I'm not sure what that is.

I was at 65%.   48 Tds and 13 INTs, but I was only sacked 6 times in 461 attempts.  I think I was least sacked in the country.

I think it takes into account balls that were on target, but dropped.

No weapons

Learning a new system

O-line cant block

No RB's that can catch screens

Bad Playcalling

Just IMHO, I don't think the playcalling was bad, and I don't think there's much wrong with the offensive line. I would blame it only on the weapons, and the fact that he was making a transition to a pro-style offense.

Of course he deserves some of the blame himself. But I can't see how this was a fair evaluation of his ability. That's why we need to make sure that those excuses aren't justified this season.

Yet that didn't stop all the other sh*tty QBs without a good supporting team making Geno look like a middle school QB.

Geno played worse than every starting AND backup QB.

Could not agree more. The Rex and Geno supporters have used the "no weapons" crutch more than someone who has no arms or legs.

Could not agree more. The Rex and Geno supporters have used the "no weapons" crutch more than someone who has no arms or legs.

They funny part is that many of the same people will also claim the Jets are fine at RB.    You really can't think the Jets RB situation is good to go and then in the same sentence claim Geno stunk because he had no weapons around him.

Archived