Nick Folk's FG rule proposal

http://fansided.com/2014/02/12/jets-kicker-nick-folks-wants-goalposts-four-uprights/

As NJ.com reported Wednesday, Folk’s solution to the PAT dilemma is to insert an extra set of uprights between the already-existing pair. The new uprights, positioned nine feet apart, would become the new targets for PAT kicks. Also, field goals that travel through the narrower uprights could made to be worth four points as opposed to three, and field goals kicked between the middle uprights from 50 yards away could be worth five points.

Uh, yeah. This is a genius idea.

Folk said that while his proposed idea would be fairly easy to implement, he doesn’t believe the NFL will go for it:

"All they’d have to do is just have [every stadium] get new uprights. Most teams re-paint or just get new ones every year because the weather discolors them and they need to be a certain color for NFL standards.

It was something I thought of. It would be a fun way to make the extra point more interesting. If you get more points, it would fit with what they want: They want a more exciting game. But I don’t think that would happen."

What do you think of this idea?

I don't like the 4 point FG (which I think Folk suggests to make the role of K more important) but I'm fine w/ the smaller uprights on PATs.  I'd be okay w/ forcing teams to just go for 2 every time as well.  And the most fun one would be to allow PATs but someone who was on the field at the time of the TD has to kick the PAT.

Sounds too arcade-ish for me.

Agree. Just seems like I would be watching NBA Jam's version of the NFL.  I'm all for either taking away the PAT completely or moving it back a greater distance. I don't like non-plays in the NFL, but I also don't like the idea of making it gimmicky. 

If offense is what they want - let fgs be worth either 3 points or a first down.  I think that would increase the strategy involved in the game.

As for extra points, teams could go for 2 from the traditional spot or kick an extra point from the 35 yard line - if you miss the kick the opposing team gets the ball on the 35.

I don't think FGs need fixing.

I think the extra point needs to be made from 40 yards, so that there's actually risk of it being missed, or blocked, which would add suspense to an otherwise automatic play. Goodell's argument is that it's unecessary risk to players, for an automatic point, rather than change the game dramatically, just move it back and remove the automatic variable.

I think the extra point needs to be made from 40 yards, so that there's actually risk of it being missed, or blocked, which would add suspense to an otherwise automatic play. Goodell's argument is that it's unecessary risk to players, for an automatic point, rather than change the game dramatically, just move it back and remove the automatic variable.

I agree.  A 40yd PAT is a good idea.

I was just going to say this. Putting extra uprights would look stupid and get in the way for FGs. Just move the extra point back to make it not so much of a gimme.

Someone else was talking about the 50+ yard field goal being 4 points.  I am a big fan of not fixing things that aren't broken.

I agree. If this was arena football or semi-pro then cool. But you cant take away from the significance of touchdowns in the NFL. IF a kicker can get 4 or 5 points for kicking a 50 yarder than what does a team get for catching an 80 yard touchdown? Also, I would hate to see a team win a game because they got these extra points from kicking field goals, granted long fg's, when the other team was scoring touchdowns. It takes away from the importance of going down the field and scoring touchdowns which is why we watch the game to begin with. 

If Folk wants to introduce something, how about a re-introduction and have the push kickoffs 5 yards back so we can see more kick returns so guys like Devin Hester (and special teams in that area) can be relevant again. 

Edited by Villain The Foe

I could actually get behind the idea of getting rid of the extra point kick entirely. Award 7 points for a TD with the option to take a point off the board and try for 2 with an offensive play. It wouldn't change current strategy, but it would speed up the game.

I could actually get behind the idea of getting rid of the extra point kick entirely. Award 7 points for a TD with the option to take a point off the board and try for 2 with an offensive play. It wouldn't change current strategy, but it would speed up the game.

That is the part that sucks, that is why they would do it.  Although once the networks get involved I don't think it will ever happen.

The TD has a commercial right after it.  So does the extra point.  And the kickoff, lol.  They are going to lose some revenue there, I think the networks would balk.

I hope they do, it would make the kicker and overall the special teams role more important and interesting.

And those defensive teams with mediocre offense would be more contenders then before.

Might as well add the Rouge from the CFL to ensure that nobody takes a knee in the end zone.

Less advertising would speed up the game.

Making the kicking game, even on PAT's adds suspense - which is entertainment - which is supposed to be what the game is all about.

This was brought up years ago about different points for FGs. The prob was as I remember was people didn't think it was right that if u took the ball from ur 20 and went 75 yards u got 3 and if someone got the ball at the 35 and went 30 yards got 5 .

and this is why this will never happen unless they allow a team to back up and go for more points. think how ridiculous that would be

Edited by jgb