Jets in Negotiations With Austin Howard

flgreen

Jets Already Working To Ink Free Agent To Be Tackle Austin Howard

February 13th, 2014  Matt Loede  Posted in 2014 Free Agency, News

Austin Howard

One month before the official start of free agency, the Jets are taking steps to lock up its most important in-house free agent.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News has learned that Gang Green has started negotiations to sign impending free agent right tackle Austin Howard to a multi-year deal.

Howard, who will turn 27 this offseason, made significant strides in his second season as a full-time starter, helping solidify an offensive line that paved the way for the league’s sixth-ranked rushing attack.

The Jets hope to sign Howard before he hits the open market on March 11, according to a team source.

Definitely a smart move.  Solid player and still pretty young.  May not be an all world type, but he was amongst the least of the offense's problems last season.  If they can lock him up at a reasonable rate, it's definitely the way to go.  No need to create any more holes on this team than their already are.

Re-signing Howard gives us stability at both tackle positions and at center. Our holes at guard however are a different story. Although I can't say I've given up on WInters just yet. It'll be interesting to see if the Jets re-sign Colon and roll the same OL out there next year.

The operative part is not paying Howard.

What is your issue with Howard? The last time I heard anyone say a bad word about him it was before he started a game for us and we were all skeptical of him. Sometimes I forget who our right tackle even is at times, which is probably a good thing more than it's a bad thing.

The Jets don't want to scrap their offensive line and I can't blame them. It's usually better not to replace more than 1 lineman per season unless your line is just terrible. I don't think our line is terrible at all. We do have holes at guard, so they might go ahead and upgrade there while leaving the tackles and center in place for now.

Re-signing Howard gives us stability at both tackle positions and at center. Our holes at guard however are a different story. Although I can't say I've given up on WInters just yet. It'll be interesting to see if the Jets re-sign Colon and roll the same OL out there next year.

Spot on. It's much easier to find a guard as opposed to a tackle.

Howard at a reasonable price is a good signing.  Would I like to draft someone better?  Would I love a big, mean, road-grading tackle in that spot?  Of course.  But Lineman take a year or three to fill out, strengthen, and learn the multitude of schemes in the pro game.  So draft a top guard, maybe luck into a beast project at tackle, and develop him.  You can't fix it all in one fell swoop.  Truthfully, Winters had some growing pains but has not touched his potential yet.  Adding two new lineman (especially rookies) on top of that, might be disastrous in the short term.  Howard offers solid mediocrity, which means if someone else beats him out in the next year or two, we've got the true backup lineman we need and sorely lack right now, unless you consider Ducasse worthwhile.

And that's fine. But if good enough is all you're getting then you had better be paying less than priced accordingly. Paying retail for an average player to maintain the status quo is stupid.

While not an All Pro, Howard is competent and has steadily improved  He'll wind being paid accordingly -- market value is market value.  Now is a good time to lock him up, while his play is still on the rise.    

Howard was excellent in pass protection.  Only gave up two sacks, playing in front of a rookie QB who held the ball way to long.  By contrast Brick gave up 7.

Howard's short coming is in the run game.  He really struggled pushing people off the LOS.  Weird because he's a huge guy.  If he can get stronger, he could really be very good.  Thing is he's 27.  

All and all it would be a good signing.  Won't be a bank breaker.

I don't understand why we're paying Howard instead of just drafting somebody.

They drafted a few guys last year on the offensive line that were inactive all year.  That has to have Idzik thinking, yeah Howard let's talk about a contract.

And that's fine. But if good enough is all you're getting then you had better be paying less than priced accordingly. Paying retail for an average player to maintain the status quo is stupid.

average players by definition represent most of the players in the league. even great teams have at least 1/2 their roster filled with "average" type players. not sure where you are shopping but retail is the only game in town except for the handful of guys playing on hometown discounts or chasing a ring with a contender (or getting grossly overpaid by the raiders/cowboys/skins)

average players by definition represent most of the players in the league. even great teams have at least 1/2 their roster filled with "average" type players. not sure where you are shopping but retail is the only game in town except for the handful of guys playing on hometown discounts or chasing a ring with a contender (or getting grossly overpaid by the raiders/cowboys/skins)

Yes, the league is full of average players, and plenty of them are on rookie contracts or make the veteran minimum, so why pay Austin Howard? Is this a transaction that brings us closer to a Super Bowl or to 8-8 and capped out?

Yes, the league is full of average players, and plenty of them are on rookie contracts or make the veteran minimum, so why pay Austin Howard? Is this a transaction that brings us closer to a Super Bowl or to 8-8 and capped out?

even assuming he is "average" what is wrong with paying the market rate for a guy like that? you realize if you draft a guy to replace someone you already can have for a reasonable price that there is an opportunity cost and the draftee could end up being less than average.

even assuming he is "average" what is wrong with paying the market rate for a guy like that? you realize if you draft a guy to replace someone you already can have for a reasonable price that there is an opportunity cost and the draftee could end up being less than average.

So we shouldn't try to use resources more efficiently because we'd probably just waste the savings? You don't build a good roster with meh transactions. Howard is the opportunity cost. It doesn't make us better and it doesn't make us cheaper.

Archived