Am I the only one that wants Eric Ebron as our first rounder?

BroadwayJets

He's truly a playmaker, can create separation and can make the great catches. There is incredible FA WR talent and WRs coming up in the draft this offseason. We need tight ends just as much as WRs and I think if we could possibly resign Cumberland and go to town on #2 FA WRs plus drafting at least one WR in the 2nd or even later rounds I do think our offense would improve greatly. 

A better passing game makes for a better running game and our running game is already great. We get Ebron, I don't believe we can go wrong. 

In Idzik I trust.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not that Ebron isn't the goods, but more the fact the Jets are offensively 2 to 3 years away from benifiting from a V Davis type TE, and need to use the 18th overall pick on a much more sound foundation type position, and if Ebron is the BAP at 18 then the Jets should probably trade back, and accumulate more picks so they will be in a position to afford to gamble on a freak at TE in Rd 1 in 2, or 3 years. This team is not 1 TE away offensively now. I reserve the right to change my mind if the Jets go BIG in free agency filling every hole with solid talent, but even then I would still take a more sound foundation type player, but would not be pissed about it.

Ditto. I have a gut feeling that Ebron will be Vernon Davis -- or worse. Do not want to burn a 1st rounder on TE anyway.

Even if he is V Davis it's still not the best option, Davis was useless to the rebuilding 49ers from 2006-2010, the Jets can't afford to make this type of luxury pick!

Even if he is V Davis it's still not the best option, Davis was useless to the rebuilding 49ers from 2006-2010, the Jets can't afford to make this type of luxury pick!

Exactly.  I see Ebron as a high-risk first round pick who reminds me very much of Davis.  No busts needed.  BPA/best player at his position is the way to go with so many needs.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-5/One-Site-Eight-Draft-Picks-for-the-Jets/3036bea8-b7bb-4c93-ad8d-8bf42ba9d2f3

One Site, Eight Draft Picks for the Jets

Posted Feb 12, 2014

Charlie Frankel Reporter

Three weeks ago, we presented nine different opinions on whom the New York Jets could select with their 18th overall pick in May’s NFL Draft. Today, we’re giving you eight new predictions, but all from one source: drafttek.com.

What is Drafttek? It’s a website that uses 32 analysts (one for each NFL team) and a proprietary computer model to produce a seven-round mock draft. As such, it should give fans a more complete picture of the people and positions that the Jets may be targeting beyond the first day.

Round 1 — WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

Of course, we will still start at the beginning where, in line with a few predictions from our initial group of experts, Drafttek has us taking a wide receiver. With Clemson’s Sammy Watkins and USC’s Marqise Lee already off the board, the Jets select Evans.

As a sophomore, the 6’5, 225-pound receiver hauled in 69 receptions for 1,394 yards (20.2 average) and a dozen touchdowns. He played some of his best games against A&M’s toughest opponents, too. His combined statistics in two games vs. Alabama and Auburn, for instance: 18 receptions, 566 yards, 5 touchdowns.

“If Geno Smith is to make a leap in Year 2, then finding him a better supporting cast has to be this team's top priority,” writes Rich Tinley, their Jets analyst. “Mike Evans is a huge target that will tower over most corners. The former high school basketball star uses that size to his advantage in jump balls and contested catches. He did a pretty good job of adjusting to less-than-precise throws and became something of a safety blanket for Johnny Manziel.”

Round 2 — TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame

Tight end is the next position up for the Green & White. With both Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Winslow Jr. possibly becoming free agents next month, Niklas could fill an offensive need. His statistics are underwhelming with 37 collegiate receptions, but some believe the converted outside linebacker has the size and athleticism to succeed at the NFL level.

Drafttek: “He's more of a conventional TE, the best blocker in this class, but he also has lots of scope to really improve in the passing game. At 6'6" and 270, he can be an every-down player, something that may really appeal to Rex Ryan more than most."

Round 3 — RB Bishop Sankey, Washington, and S Craig Loston, LSU

Thanks to last offseason’s Darrelle Revis trade, we will have two selections (assuming Revis remains on Tampa Bay’s roster three days into the new league year). Following the trend of Picks 1 and 2, our third selection is also a player from an offensive skill position in the form of Sankey.

The 5’10”, 200-pounder averaged just over 25 carries per contest this season, scored at least one rushing touchdown in each of his team’s 13 games and was held under 90 yards on the ground just twice. He’s the best at his position by Drafttek’s rankings, and he’d team up with current RBs Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell to make one heck of a trio.

Eleven picks later, their mock draft has us flipping to the other side of the ball to provide some safety depth with Loston out of LSU. The 6’2”, 205-pounder earned AP All-SEC second-team honors in both his junior and senior seasons, despite missing three games due to injury this past year. He finished his career with 148 tackles (seven for loss) and seven interceptions in 45 games, 24 of them starts.

Round 4 — T JaWuan Jones, Tennessee

After Loston, it’s time to go back to offense, but this time Drafttek has the Jets looking to the trenches with James, a 6’6”, 324-pounder listed as a right tackle. James set a UT offensive line record with 49 starts over his four years with the Vols. He was named to the AP All-SEC second team and played in this year’s Senior Bowl as well.

Rounds 5-7

As for the back end of the mock draft, it’s a mixed bag for the Jets. Wyoming WR Robert Herron (5’10”, 187), Florida LB Ronald Powell (6’4”, 244) and QB Logan Thomas (6’5”, 254) out of Virginia Tech are our fifth-, sixth- and seventh-round Drafttek selections, respectively.

Without a doubt, these names will change in the three months between now and the NFL Draft on May 8, and we’re in no position to claim that Drafttek’s hypotheses are any better than another source you may stumble upon. Still, it’s always interesting to talk about the what-ifs, and it can never hurt to start familiarizing ourselves with the players of the NFL's future one mock draft at a time.

The Jets need an offensive skill position player they can build around and defenses have to account for every snap. There have been offenses built around tight end play in the passing game - Chargers for a few years with Gates, Saints with Graham, Pats with Gronk and Hernandez (though having Rivers, Brees, and Brady doesn't hurt one bit).

If the Jets think Ebron can be that level of player on offense then sign me up. They need somebody who can beat defenses even when they key in on him regardless of position.

But I am leery, tons of first round tight ends haven't amounted to much and the best in the league were drafted day 2. I'd be cool if they elect to go the Niklas/ASJ/Rodgers route on day 2 and paired with Cumberland. Even Fiedorowicz in the third or fourth. Not really a key position in the offense anyway.

The Jets need an offensive skill position player they can build around and defenses have to account for every snap. There have been offenses built around tight end play in the passing game - Chargers for a few years with Gates, Saints with Graham, Pats with Gronk and Hernandez (though having Rivers, Brees, and Brady doesn't hurt one bit).

If the Jets think Ebron can be that level of player on offense then sign me up. They need somebody who can beat defenses even when they key in on him regardless of position.

But I am leery, tons of first round tight ends haven't amounted to much and the best in the league were drafted day 2. I'd be cool if they elect to go the Niklas/ASJ/Rodgers route on day 2 and paired with Cumberland. Even Fiedorowicz in the third or fourth. Not really a key position in the offense anyway.

Yeah man, that's what I mean. We know Geno's not the greatest but this Ebron's playing style reminds me of one of those great pro TE's we see dominate the league right now. And they help, a whole lot.

Tight end late would work fine by me.  I would really like to get a big wideout that couold bail Geno out.  Defense would be fine but been since Keyshawn we had a top notch franchise type wideout.  One of my favorite revievers of this era was Ctochery.  Homegrown into a nice reciever.  Would like to start with a big proto-typical wideout and grow our very own bad ass receiver.  Now someone to throw him da ball?  LOL

Probably not the only one, but considering that I don't think he's even the best TE in the draft, he certainly doesn't have my vote. ASJ has been my favorite for the last two years and nothing has happened to change my mind about that.  I think he's someone you can plug in immediately and see a Jason Witten type career over the next decade. 

Vernon Davis is really good. Why would this be a bad thing? Not saying I want Ebron but we could do worse than a Vernon Davis clone.

It took Davis a couple of years to break out. Tight ends, no matter how good arnt Wide outs. They are a complemetory player, not a main weapon. Wide Reciever please!!!!

Vernon Davis is really good. Why would this be a bad thing? Not saying I want Ebron but we could do worse than a Vernon Davis clone.

Not drafting the best available player, because he's too good for your team at the moment is one of the most absurd arguments I've heard.  No, let's draft the lesser talent, that's how you build a solid team.

Archived