Am I the only one that wants Eric Ebron as our first rounder?

BroadwayJets

Keller could have been so much better. Talent was never his issue... Sanchez didn't help matters but he was just soft. Didn't have the aggressive gene in him.

Which is the same thing I'm seeing and reading about Ebron. The biggest knock that I've heard about him, other than his hands, is that he's not someone you draft to run down the seam and catch in traffic. I just personally like ASJ the most and have really warmed to Fiedorowicz and Niklas, the first two being my favorite. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the Ebron love, all I see is a two inch taller version of Dustin Keller.

Who was a late first-rounder at that.  

In a draft that saw 15 TEs taken, 5 of whom are arguably better than he was, who all got drafted after him.

John Carlson (2nd rd)

Fred Davis (2nd rd)

Martellus Bennett (2nd rd)

Jermichael Finley (3rd rd)

Jacob Tamme (4th rd)

These players fell in the draft because it was thought to be WR heavy (sound familiar?) 35 WRs total were taken.  Not many of them panned out, but certainly shows that you can get a quality TE outside of the first round in a lop-sided draft. 

Who was a late first-rounder at that.  

In a draft that saw 15 TEs taken, 5 of whom are arguably better than he was, who all got drafted after him.

John Carlson (2nd rd)

Fred Davis (2nd rd)

Martellus Bennett (2nd rd)

Jermichael Finley (3rd rd)

Jacob Tamme (4th rd)

These players fell in the draft because it was thought to be WR heavy (sound familiar?) 35 WRs total were taken.  Not many of them panned out, but certainly shows that you can get a quality TE outside of the first round in a lop-sided draft. 

I would be absolutely fine with taking Lee in the 1st round and ASJ in the 2nd, actually I'd be quite pleased if that's the way it went.

Keller could have been so much better. Talent was never his issue... Sanchez didn't help matters but he was just soft. Didn't have the aggressive gene in him.

This.

Ray Ray Lewis made him s#!t his pants more than once...after that I started calling him "wet bread"

Ebron draws interest from Jets, Giants
February, 21, 2014
FEB 21
9:00
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
INDIANAPOLIS -- The New York Jets and New York Giants have the hots for the same player -- Eric Ebron, North Carolina's ultra-athletic tight end. 

If they both covet Ebron, the advantage goes to the Giants, who own the 12th overall pick -- six spots ahead of the Jets in the first round. 

The Giants are so intrigued by Ebron (6-4, 250 pounds) that general manager Jerry Reese and vice president of player evaluation Marc Ross scouted him during the season and filed reports. The team's top two decision-makers don't do that unless there's a high degree of interest in a player. Ebron scored high grades and will be a consideration with the 12th pick. 

The Giants have a glaring need, as do the Jets, who would love to pair Ebron with Jeff Cumberland, a free agent-to-be whom they're trying to re-sign. 

Ebron (62 catches, 973 yards, three touchdowns last season) is the consensus top tight end in the draft, ahead of Texas Tech's Jace Amaro, whom the Giants interviewed Thursday night at the scouting combine. Ebron is a new-breed tight end, meaning he can split out as a receiver, creating a mismatch. He once said his speed is "illegal," and he told reporters that he can't be jammed at the line of scrimmage. College opponents didn't try, he said. 

"I think why teams don't press me is because they can't," he said. "I will not be pressed at the line of scrimmage. That's a prideful thing of mine. It'd be best to leave the play to cover y'alls' back." 

Ebron said he patterns his game after Vernon Davis of the San Francisco 49ers. Why? 

"Because [of the] similarities," he said, comparing himself to one of the best. "His speed, he's powerful, he's very strong at the line of scrimmage. Love everything about him." 

Ebron isn't shy on confidence. Asked to describe his play, he replied, "Fast. I play fast. I'm a little bit faster than most." 

Scouts are eager to see his time in the 40. Ebron is far from a finished product. His blocking needs work, he's had some drops and some question his toughness over the middle. But the tight end position has changed, and the good ones are deployed like wide receivers. 

"I just do different things than other tight ends do," Ebron said. "If you watch film you'll probably say the same thing."

Idzik is just waiting in the weeds for whoever drops.

It could be Ebron, or a WR. It could be a pass rusher or corner. in some crazy scenario it could be a QB or OT.

Dont think the Jets will cry if Ebron goes 12 to NYG but the Jets need an athlete to drop. If Ebron makes it to 18 he's almost certainly a steal which is Idzik's goal of that pick. To take a value freak athlete. It's dumb to bring prep grades into the draft but this front office probably won't take a 2 or 3 star recruit it will be a 4 or 5 star recruit. 

Idzik is just waiting in the weeds for whoever drops.

It could be Ebron, or a WR. It could be a pass rusher or corner. in some crazy scenario it could be a QB or OT.

Dont think the Jets will cry if Ebron goes 12 to NYG but the Jets need an athlete to drop. If Ebron makes it to 18 he's almost certainly a steal which is Idzik's goal of that pick. To take a value freak athlete. It's dumb to bring prep grades into the draft but this front office probably won't take a 2 or 3 star recruit it will be a 4 or 5 star recruit. 

The second is looking like the fat spot for OL now. The next tier is deep but not close to Robinson, Matthews, Lewan. I'm not even going to guess about the quarterbacks besides that Bridgewater is out of play.

I'm in the school of thought that you should ALWAYS draft the BPA. With that being said, I don't watch college football at all, so I don't know any of the players outside of Manziel, Benjamin, and Clowney.

But I really hope that we get a G or BLOCKING TE in the first, and a blocking FB in later rounds. Work on your strengths before your weaknesses.

I'm in the school of thought that you should ALWAYS draft the BPA. With that being said, I don't watch college football at all, so I don't know any of the players outside of Manziel, Benjamin, and Clowney.

But I really hope that we get a G or BLOCKING TE in the first, and a blocking FB in later rounds. Work on your strengths before your weaknesses.

What are our strengths?

I REALLY like our running game. If we can get a good FB and a G, I really think Ivory can shine. I love his relentless driving. He never stops. EASILY my favorite offensive player.

I agree, offensively, this team has to run the ball, that is unless we get a QB and coach we can trust with the other parts of that side of the ball.

ws officially a 4.6

Should end the Vernon Davis "freak" labels. Considering he was supposed to blowup the combine, I'm not just not that impressed by him running a 4.6 at 6'4 250.  It's a very solid number, but doesn't do enough to make me like him more than ASJ, especially considering i like ASJ for his red-zone prowess.

• 3 weeks later...
-Am I the only one that wants Eric Ebron as our first rounder?

seems that you are in the minority there, yes. I certainly wouldn't mind if the Bills or Gmen before us scooped him up. nice player, nice measurables, but his hands and his toughness could be viewed as an issue. I'd much rather take a M Lee or Beckham Jr type of guy, assuming some of the bigger WR names are off the board (Watkins Evans) or a defensive impact guy for the secondary/pass rush.

just hoping we go BPA in rd 1! 

-Am I the only one that wants Eric Ebron as our first rounder?

seems that you are in the minority there, yes. I certainly wouldn't mind if the Bills or Gmen before us scooped him up. nice player, nice measurables, but his hands and his toughness could be viewed as an issue. I'd much rather take a M Lee or Beckham Jr type of guy, assuming some of the bigger WR names are off the board (Watkins Evans) or a defensive impact guy for the secondary/pass rush.

just hoping we go BPA in rd 1! 

I want him badly,, most folks think he is Top10 and gamebreaker. 

hands/toughness?? LOL, sounds like a Woofie comment ;)

Ditto.  I have a gut feeling that Ebron will be Vernon Davis -- or worse.  Do not want to burn a 1st rounder on TE anyway.

And what is wrong the All-Pro Vernon Davis?

294 Rec, 4,069 yards and 44 TDs in the last 5 years.

Equivalent to 59 catches, 814 yards and 9 TDs a season.

LOL, funny stuff eh j4?

Yup. Im not saying I want Ebron. But if he's going to be the next Vernon Davis, then why would u wanna miss out on the next all-pro TE? I actually want Sammy Watkins. I know we need a lot of ammo for him, most likely next years 1st and this years 2nd along with the first, but if he slips to around 8-10, I think Idzik needs to seriously consider jumping up. Can't miss prospect that fills an immediate need and can actually be an impact player in the first year.

I want him badly,, most folks think he is Top10 and gamebreaker. 

hands/toughness?? LOL, sounds like a Woofie comment ;)

I don't know what a Woofie comment means but I am assuming it means you disagree. I just posted what I read about him, no special insight on this guy from me. 

The Jets are "very intrigued" by North Carolina TE Eric Ebron, according to ESPN New York.
The Jets have the No. 18 pick, and it's no certainty that Ebron will drop to them. "I don't think he's tough enough to run down the seam and catch the ball in the middle," an AFC personnel executive said in the article. "Is he a great athlete? Yes. Does he have good hands? Yes. Can he catch the ball in traffic? I don't think so." Ebron has drawn flattering comparisons to Vernon Davis, though not likely from the anonymous gentleman.Feb 16 - 3:28 PM
Source: ESPN New York

5XtG2L5.jpg  

- Here’s Ebron’s dirty little secret – his hands just aren’t as good as some make them out to be. He made some nice one-handed grabs, but he also has a 11.43% drop rate which is not something to be overlooked.

I don't know what a Woofie comment means but I am assuming it means you disagree. I just posted what I read about him, no special insight on this guy from me. 

The Jets are "very intrigued" by North Carolina TE Eric Ebron, according to ESPN New York.
The Jets have the No. 18 pick, and it's no certainty that Ebron will drop to them. "I don't think he's tough enough to run down the seam and catch the ball in the middle," an AFC personnel executive said in the article. "Is he a great athlete? Yes. Does he have good hands? Yes. Can he catch the ball in traffic? I don't think so." Ebron has drawn flattering comparisons to Vernon Davis, though not likely from the anonymous gentleman.Feb 16 - 3:28 PM
Source: ESPN New York

5XtG2L5.jpg  

- Here’s Ebron’s dirty little secret – his hands just aren’t as good as some make them out to be. He made some nice one-handed grabs, but he also has a 11.43% drop rate which is not something to be overlooked.

he was main weapon, ,double teamed and many of those 'drops' were tight coverage.. also I saw all the games live..

He is listed as top TE, and Top10 pick for  a reason, trust me..

And what is wrong the All-Pro Vernon Davis?

294 Rec, 4,069 yards and 44 TDs in the last 5 years.

Equivalent to 59 catches, 814 yards and 9 TDs a season.

Davis (6th overall) was putrid for his first three season, averaging 34 catches; 377 yards and 3 TD's per season.  

he was main weapon, ,double teamed and many of those 'drops' were tight coverage.. also I saw all the games live..

He is listed as top TE, and Top10 pick for  a reason, trust me..

IDK about that 

Rob Rang has him at 18, Pete Brisco has him at 21, pat Kirwan has him at 21, Walter.com has him at 15, and Kiper has him at 16.

Think there is a great chance he'll be there at 18

Davis (6th overall) was putrid for his first three season, averaging 34 catches; 377 yards and 3 TD's per season.  

Playing with a new OC each year. There is a learning curve. Its called potential, which he started realizing in his 4th yr.

Archived