Geno Working Out Down at IMG Academy

BroadwayJoe12

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, Bridgewater is definitely worth moving up for. Him and Manziel would be the only 2 in this draft, I would make a move for. I am not sold on Bortles but if he dropped and they took him fine, but I wouldn't make a move for him, but Teddy? Absolutely.

It's a conditional thing. If it comes down to this and next year's 2, then yeah sure, why not. **** it. We've got nothing else going for us.

Depends, I think Bridgewater is worth moving up for if he drops to the lower end of the top ten, at that point it's a low risk/cost move.

If someone slides, that's a different story.

All valid points. Onviously, their are 2 schools of thought on how to "rebuild" the Jets. It is quite clear that Idzik prefers your ideas on lots of draft picks and surrounding Geno with as much talent as possible. The only problem obviously with this plan is if Geno goes "Sanchezilitis" on us.Look, I realize that our so called "weapons" are not a bunch of all-pro's and should help, BUT if Geno busts out again, and we have no backup plan, then we are again, like the Sanchez debacle, setting this franchise back at least another 2 years. Lets hope not, but you have to admit it is possible.

Is anyone advocating "no backup plan"? Do you think the only options for the Jets are either trade up for a QB or go into the season with Geno and Simms?

I've said all along that I want the Jets to add two viable QBs this offseason. A vet with starting experience who's never killed a dog, and a (top half of the) draft pick. I don't mind if Geno has a leg up in the competition, but I want a legitimate competition. If they're smart, there's no reason that Geno potentially failing should set the team back two years. Or any years. They won half their games last season with a rookie Geno and the worst receiving corps in the league. I'm not really concerned about a worse performance this season.

Because SLATS says so?

I've never said so. In fact, I've said the opposite. We can make assumptions, but no one knows what Idzik's true approach is.

The Jets also have cap space, assuming they cut Sanchez, to obtain enough players in FA to not rely on all those picks.

You build a championship team thru the draft, not free agency. I want the Jets to fill as many holes as they can in free agency, to free them up to take the BAP a dozen or so times in May.

All valid points. Onviously, their are 2 schools of thought on how to "rebuild" the Jets. It is quite clear that Idzik prefers your ideas on lots of draft picks and surrounding Geno with as much talent as possible. The only problem obviously with this plan is if Geno goes "Sanchezilitis" on us.

Look, I realize that our so called "weapons" are not a bunch of all-pro's and should help, BUT if Geno busts out again, and we have no backup plan, then we are again, like the Sanchez debacle, setting this franchise back at least another 2 years. Lets hope not, but you have to admit it is possible.

That's where I think the strategy falls more in a middle group of neither blindly relying on Geno for the future, BUT also not sacrificing your ability to address other areas of need by surrendering significant picks for his replacement.  The Jets can still try to address the QB position without doing it with a very top pick.  Every year there are solid prospects available later in the draft for a variety of different reasons, and I think the general ideas is to try your find solution amongst those guys, which is really what Seattle did.  While the obvious downside is not having a chance at one of the very top prospects, it also doesn't completely screw you over if you miss, but allows you to keep on trying again as quickly as you want.  If the Jets had traded up to #1 for Geno last year they would have been committed to him for at least another 2 years after this, but the fact that they got him in the second is the whole reason they can even consider the possibility of already finding another solution.  It's that reason which is exactly why I think many seem to be in favor of that kind of approach.

Sure, it's a different story if there's a QB out there who the Jets are convinced is a sure-money bet to be the franchise guy for years to come, but the truth is those guys are very few and far between when it comes to the QB position.  More often than not, even the best prospects typically have some major questions.  So if that guy isn't out there this year, then perhaps it's a matter of playing the odds by taking a shot with more QBs while still ultimately investing less in them combined (and hopefully at the same time, strengthening the rest of your team to improve your odds of one of those QBs making it).  I don't dispute that it's certainly a more conservative approach, but considering the disaster the Jets have had at the QB position throughout their history, it's somewhat understandable.

That's where I think the strategy falls more in a middle group of neither blindly relying on Geno for the future, BUT also not sacrificing your ability to address other areas of need by surrendering significant picks for his replacement.  The Jets can still try to address the QB position without doing it with a very top pick.  Every year there are solid prospects available later in the draft for a variety of different reasons, and I think the general ideas is to try your find solution amongst those guys, which is really what Seattle did.  While the obvious downside is not having a chance at one of the very top prospects, it also doesn't completely screw you over if you miss, but allows you to keep on trying again as quickly as you want.  If the Jets had traded up to #1 for Geno last year they would have been committed to him for at least another 2 years after this, but the fact that they got him in the second is the whole reason they can even consider the possibility of already finding another solution.  It's that reason which is exactly why I think many seem to be in favor of that kind of approach.

Sure, it's a different story if there's a QB out there who the Jets are convinced is a sure-money bet to be the franchise guy for years to come, but the truth is those guys are very few and far between when it comes to the QB position.  More often than not, even the best prospects typically have some major questions.  So if that guy isn't out there this year, then perhaps it's a matter of playing the odds by taking a shot with more QBs while still ultimately investing less in them combined (and hopefully at the same time, strengthening the rest of your team to improve your odds of one of those QBs making it).  I don't dispute that it's certainly a more conservative approach, but considering the disaster the Jets have had at the QB position throughout their history, it's somewhat understandable.

Very fair honest post. Of course we hope for "Russell Wilson" to just fall in our laps, and it could happen this year with any number of guys like: Garrapolo, McCarron, Mettenberger, Murray etc., and lets hope it does, but also NOT limit ourselves if we (meaning the Jets organization), see's a guy who is surefire in their minds and worth moving up.

Again, this draft coming up will be one of the best in along time. I will need at least a 30 pack for this draft. It promises to have tons of wheeling and dealing. CANT WAIT.

If they don't trade up for a QB in the draft, then I agree with this scenario 100%. However, I prefer VICK as my veteran, and many people are against Mike Vick. Are you?

Just wanted to say I like vick, would love him being here, but he's done.

And vick is a vet that has turnover issues, geno was a rookie. I'm ok without him. Bring in tarvaris jackson, he's good and won't easily give up the job.

You build a championship team thru the draft, not free agency. I want the Jets to fill as many holes as they can in free agency, to free them up to take the BAP a dozen or so times in May.

I did not mean to suggest the Jets should not use their draft picks wisely and build with them for the future.  But there are imo quite a number of positions that could be upgraded, and some of them can be upgraded through FA or trades.  The cap money is available.  I think you elsewhere referred to adding a vet Qb, so that would have to be done through FA or a trade, anyway.

Just wanted to say I like vick, would love him being here, but he's done.

And vick is a vet that has turnover issues, geno was a rookie. I'm ok without him. Bring in tarvaris jackson, he's good and won't easily give up the job.

Did you just say you are OK with the Jets dumping Geno in favor of Tavaris Jackson?

Very fair honest post. Of course we hope for "Russell Wilson" to just fall in our laps, and it could happen this year with any number of guys like: Garrapolo, McCarron, Mettenberger, Murray etc., and lets hope it does, but also NOT limit ourselves if we (meaning the Jets organization), see's a guy who is surefire in their minds and worth moving up.

Again, this draft coming up will be one of the best in along time. I will need at least a 30 pack for this draft. It promises to have tons of wheeling and dealing. CANT WAIT.

Again, while it would be great to pick up another Russell Wilson with a mid round pick, the odds of getting someone who could be a real upgrade over Smith, or even decent competition for him, goes down the further down the draft board one goes.

The Jets already have Simms, so I would think we are talking about someone more than someone who can come in, as Simms in fact did, and could call the plays, even complete some passes, and even move the team down the field.  I would think we should be talking about someone who odds are can do more than that, even more than Smith did last year.  It doesn't seem like too much to ask, and I suppose there is a good argument to be made that Smith so far has been playing below his draft status.

I just don't think it is a simple matter of using, say, a third or fourth pick on a Qb and then expect that person to come in and push Smith.  It could happen, of course, but that would be more likely with a higher pick.

It may not be the year for that, even with the excitement over Qb prospects this draft compared to last year's.  My own prefernce would be to get a decent vet to hold the fort and to not rely on Smith, but allowing him space to improve.  Ftr I do not buy into the notion that sitting Smith for a time will kill his career.

I agree, Bridgewater is definitely worth moving up for. Him and Manziel would be the only 2 in this draft, I would make a move for. I am not sold on Bortles but if he dropped and they took him fine, but I wouldn't make a move for him, but Teddy? Absolutely.

Wait a second.  About a month ago weren't you  saying this was the best, and deepest QB draft in 20 years?

You'd be right if people didnt take Nawrocki seriously, but they do. NFL teams especially. If you think Nawrocki pulled the fake smile thing out of thin air you're deluding yourself- his information is funneled to him directly from personnel guys who work in the league. Nawrocki's write up on Clausen was pretty much verbatim to Cam's. Where's your outrage?

Nawrocki's scout blasted Newton going into the draft. It's not taking into account the potential for him to mature- the word at the time was he was immature(which nobody doubts). He never doubted Cam's talent and he predicted him to go first overall in the draft.

I dont see the point into getting emotional over someone's scout write-up. It's exactly what NFL teams use. If it bothers you so much just ignore it.

Who's emotional? I said his write ups are pretty solid, but like everyone else who keeps their job based on the draft, he has to make a name for himself and these are part of the bold proclamations that he makes.  It's disingenuous to comment on someone's character without every having met them, regardless of what you have heard. That's what the team's scouts and player personnel are for. He should stick to just talent evaluation, but he doesn't, because that's not exactly what sells.  It's the same reason Kiper, McShay, Jeremiah etc. all put out crazy mocks up until the last one that they consider accurate. It's to create a buzz and generate traffic. 

Who's emotional? I said his write ups are pretty solid, but like everyone else who keeps their job based on the draft, he has to make a name for himself and these are part of the bold proclamations that he makes.  It's disingenuous to comment on someone's character without every having met them, regardless of what you have heard. That's what the team's scouts and player personnel are for. He should stick to just talent evaluation, but he doesn't, because that's not exactly what sells.  It's the same reason Kiper, McShay, Jeremiah etc. all put out crazy mocks up until the last one that they consider accurate. It's to create a buzz and generate traffic. 

If the guy was looking for notoriety for saying outlandish stuff and being the draft's Skip Bayless- he'd be trying to get on TV or at least have a Twitter handle. He's a draft guy, not a TV personality. PFW was never in it for "sales" or "hits." Hell, they're out of business. The blogs take lines out of his full reports and blow them up, it's misconstrued. The fake smile comment was stupid, but Cam's entire scout was pretty solid. It's not like these character issues he's making up- he's getting this info directly from scouts who have sat down with the players.

Buschbaum was a legend though, I doubt he'd mentor a total hack. His mock drafts have been as close as anyone's in the business. PFW's work and Ourlads have always been the best imo.

Again, while it would be great to pick up another Russell Wilson with a mid round pick, the odds of getting someone who could be a real upgrade over Smith, or even decent competition for him, goes down the further down the draft board one goes.

The Jets already have Simms, so I would think we are talking about someone more than someone who can come in, as Simms in fact did, and could call the plays, even complete some passes, and even move the team down the field.  I would think we should be talking about someone who odds are can do more than that, even more than Smith did last year.  It doesn't seem like too much to ask, and I suppose there is a good argument to be made that Smith so far has been playing below his draft status.

I just don't think it is a simple matter of using, say, a third or fourth pick on a Qb and then expect that person to come in and push Smith.  It could happen, of course, but that would be more likely with a higher pick.

It may not be the year for that, even with the excitement over Qb prospects this draft compared to last year's.  My own prefernce would be to get a decent vet to hold the fort and to not rely on Smith, but allowing him space to improve.  Ftr I do not buy into the notion that sitting Smith for a time will kill his career.

I agree pretty much with what you are saying, and if you read my posts, I am all for trading up and getting Manziel or Bridgewater BUT if that doesn't occur (and the consensus is it wont), then I would still want them to draft one of the so called "second tier" guys and hope for a Russell Wilson miracle. Also, My view is that many of these second tier guys could easily beat out Smith, especially if he doesn't show any progress this year.

I agree pretty much with what you are saying, and if you read my posts, I am all for trading up and getting Manziel or Bridgewater BUT if that doesn't occur (and the consensus is it wont), then I would still want them to draft one of the so called "second tier" guys and hope for a Russell Wilson miracle. Also, My view is that many of these second tier guys could easily beat out Smith, especially if he doesn't show any progress this year.

WOW, check out my new Sig. CHAD, my man, FUTURE HEAD COACH OF THE NY JETS. I love it.

Wait a second.  About a month ago weren't you  saying this was the best, and deepest QB draft in 20 years?

It is BY FAR, but only those 2 would be worth trading the FARM for, but the next tier that includes CARR and BORTLES are solid, and the 3rd tier compared to other drafts is awesome, All these guys would have gone before Smith last year:

Mettenberger

Murray

McCarron

Garrapolo

And even the nest tier offers value like:

Smith

Fales

Matthews

Savage

This QB draft class is just unbelieveably deep. And following last years debacle, they look even greater.

i'm referring to the draft, if you talk TALENT smith has GREAT TALENT. But you are talking success! Not TALENT. and success relies on a successful franchise genius.

Btw, luck had reggie wayne, cam had smith.

From rookies till now.

Geno had no 1.

Geno has Great talent ? How come when we were 5-4 I didn't hear anyone telling me how bad the receivers were . Instead we praised geno now it's everyone fat besides him !

Geno has Great talent ? How come when we were 5-4 I didn't hear anyone telling me how bad the receivers were . Instead we praised geno now it's everyone fat besides him !

If you wait long enough, this board will try to convince you that our receiver's all had ADD, COPD, had 20-400 vision and ran 5.6 40's.

I have been saying our receivers sucked since we lost the 1st afc championship.

The best receivers of the rex ryan era was holmes and edwards, keller wasn't consistent and pure never going to be reached potential.

Braylon is job less for a reason, and I like the guy. And holmes was over hyped since that superbowl catch. When they were FA's I wanted braylon. Our success came off of running and defense, even most previously we're undefeated when geno scores a rushing touchdown.

I loved holmes calling out the panthers, it pissed them off and they exposed this receiving core of practice squad players that feature a reinvented still unproven david nelson, a up incoming slot guy in kerley, and a has been probably best suited for the slot or 2nd if the qb is elite piece of sh*t named holmes who's a walking headache....

My question, why have every 1 been screaming about qb's and never noticed this!!?

I have been saying our receivers sucked since we lost the 1st afc championship.

The best receivers of the rex ryan era was holmes and edwards, keller wasn't consistent and pure never going to be reached potential.

Braylon is job less for a reason, and I like the guy. And holmes was over hyped since that superbowl catch. When they were FA's I wanted braylon. Our success came off of running and defense, even most previously we're undefeated when geno scores a rushing touchdown.

I loved holmes calling out the panthers, it pissed them off and they exposed this receiving core of practice squad players that feature a reinvented still unproven david nelson, a up incoming slot guy in kerley, and a has been probably best suited for the slot or 2nd if the qb is elite piece of sh*t named holmes who's a walking headache....

My question, why have every 1 been screaming about qb's and never noticed this!!?

Because our 2 QB"S have been Historically and epically bad.

If you wait long enough, this board will try to convince you that our receiver's all had ADD, COPD, had 20-400 vision and ran 5.6 40's.

I guess every receiver tannenbaum drafted wasn't a bust since rex been here except kerley rite?

Stephen hill doesn't have ADD, COPD, a slow 40, or bad vision. So is he our consistent receiver?

For real dude, any football fan who pays attention to the jets can tell you the receivers suck, geno was awesome in college, you think he sucked last year because his talent disappeared??

Because our 2 QB"S have been Historically and epically bad.

historically? Look into the qb position in jet history or football history before you say that, false information kills a point.

Epically? geno is the all time jets rookie qb in yards and that's with no talent to throw to, sanchez has a winning season record and playoff record with 2 afc championship appearances and both could start day 1 if they leave this miserable offense.

historically? Look into the qb position in jet history or football history before you say that, false information kills a point.

Epically? geno is the all time jets rookie qb in yards and that's with no talent to throw to, sanchez has a winning season record and playoff record with 2 afc championship appearances and both could start day 1 if they leave this miserable offense.

I agree with the last two words of this post "miserable offense"

Not many people are saying that.

The Jets have the worst receiving corps in the NFL, and that's before they release their alleged #1 WR. If the Jets made some ridiculous trade to get into the top whatever to grab one of the top 3 QBs in this draft, that QB would in turn be saddled with the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

Like it or not, Geno is going to be -at a minimum- competing for the starting QB job this year. The new GM spent a second rounder on him, and they're going to want to evaluate him as fairly as possible. That means getting him receivers. If Geno still sucks with better receivers, they'll be looking for a franchise QB in 2015. If that's the way they go, that QB will be given a better chance to succeed than either of the last two QBs the Jets drafted because he'll have better weapons around him.

HAHAHA oh well joewillie78 looks like we have one that still says Eugene is a 'project' that needs to be given a chance even if he "sucks" with top flight wr's.  Oh well you cant win em all.     

I guess every receiver tannenbaum drafted wasn't a bust since rex been here except kerley rite?

Stephen hill doesn't have ADD, COPD, a slow 40, or bad vision. So is he our consistent receiver?

For real dude, any football fan who pays attention to the jets can tell you the receivers suck, geno was awesome in college, you think he sucked last year because his talent disappeared??

Geno was awesome in college? Uh not really. Tavon Austin was AWESOME.  He turned flat screens into breakout bombs.  Totally inflated Eugene's numbers. 

It is BY FAR, but only those 2 would be worth trading the FARM for, but the next tier that includes CARR and BORTLES are solid, and the 3rd tier compared to other drafts is awesome, All these guys would have gone before Smith last year:

Mettenberger

Murray

McCarron

Garrapolo

And even the nest tier offers value like:

Smith

Fales

Matthews

Savage

This QB draft class is just unbelieveably deep. And following last years debacle, they look even greater.

The little guy in orange would have gone before Eugene in the draft.

chad-pennington1.jpg

I havent flown in a few months, but as far as I can remember it isnt that difficult to not get kicked off of an airplane. 

I've never been mugged.  Most people have never been mugged.  So the ones who have been mugged must have been doing something wrong.

Archived