2014 New York Jets Mock Draft V. 2.0 "Pre-Combine"

NYJetsVets91

Okay, so I'm going to do a pre-combine mock as well. I want to get one more in before the combine since the rankings will change afterwards... I'll put another one out after the combine as well.

Again, I'm doing this mock assuming we make multiple moves in and before FA i.e. cut Holmes, and Sanchez. Cutting Sanchez and Holmes alone saves us 16.55 million according to Overthecap.com. Cromartie will be a tough decision. If we cut him we eat 5.48 million, and save 9.5. That's over 26 million in cap space saved just from cutting those three, we'd have about 46 million in total. Therefore, I say we cut him too, maybe resign if we can get him for under or at market price... but I'm going to assume he gets a better deal somewhere else. I'm assuming we'll be quite busy before the draft; In that case, before my mock here is a list of some more notable moves we could make before the draft:

In-house moves:

- cut Holmes, Sanchez, Cromartie

- re-sign Austin Howard

- give Wilkerson his extension

- franchise tag Nick Folk

- re-sign Cribbs

- re-sign Cumberland

- re-sign Douzable 

- let Pace, Winslow, Reed and rest of FAs walk

- try to find a trading partner for Kenrick Ellis for a 4-6th round pick, or Stephen Hill for a 2nd-4th round pick, or both.

FA moves:

- sign Captain Munnerlyn to a multi-year deal about 2-3 mil a year

- sign Jairus Byrd to a one year deal 8-9 mil

- sign Tarvaris Jackson to a one year 750k-1 mil deal

- sign Jeremy Maclin to a 5-6 mil a year multi-year deal

- sign Legarette Blount to a 1-1.5 mil a year multi-year deal

- sign Zane Beadles to a one year deal 1.5-2 mil

Draft:

Rd.1: Eric Ebron - TE - North Carolina

Rd.2: Gabe Jackson - OG - Mississippi State

Rd.3: Josh Gordon - WR - (Pull a repeat Idzik: Trade a 3rd and 6th rounder and next year's 6th to Cleveland for Josh Gordon)

Rd.3: Robert Herron - WR - Wyoming

Rd.4: Brett Smith - QB - Wyoming

Rd.5: Denicos Allen - OLB - Michigan State

Rd.5: Deion Belue - CB - Alabama

Rd.6: Traded to Cleveland in trade for Gordon

Rd.6: Devekeyan Lattimore - ILB - South Florida

Rd.6: Aaron Lynch - DE - South Florida

Rd.6: Storm Johnson - RB - UCF

Rd.7: Colt Lyerla - TE - Oregon

I know those are quite a few moves to make before the draft... considering we would have 46 mil in cap space though, I don't see it as too far of a stretch. I think if this was our roster next season it'd be top notch. Obviously there would be a few tweaks here and there, but overall it couldn't get much better. As usual, let me know what you guys think.

This is awful. I don't even know where to start.

A multi year deal for a never healthy Maclin? Letting a bunch of solid free agents walk like Lankster, Walls, etc? Byrd is not going to want a one year deal. Blount is going to command more money than that given his playoffs. Don't trade Ellis or Hill because the return is not going to be what you listed or worth it. Josh Gordon is not going to be traded for a 3rd and a 6th. Tavaris Jackson is a terrible QB option.

I mean. What?

A multi year deal for a never healthy Maclin? Letting a bunch of solid free agents walk like Lankster, Walls, etc? Byrd is not going to want a one year deal. Blount is going to command more money than that given his playoffs. Don't trade Ellis or Hill because the return is not going to be what you listed or worth it. Josh Gordon is not going to be traded for a 3rd and a 6th. Tavaris Jackson is a terrible QB option.

I mean. What?

This is the time of year to dream a little bit. Imagine your end result being Gordon, Maclin and Ebron w Kerley and Nelson...that would be pretty sick!

Stephen Hill for a 2nd or 4th round pick, or both, is totally reasonable.  He's incredibely productive player that teams will be jumping all over that in the deepest WR draft we've seen in the last 10 years.

The #'s for the FA's are spot on.  Captain is going to get 2-3 mil on a multi-year deal.  Meanwhile, Byrd's going to take a 1 year deal at 8-9 mil, while Maclin is getting a 5-6 year deal.  Totally logical.

Gordon for a 3rd and 6th makes a ton of sense.  He's ony emerged as like, a top 3-5 WR in the league.  Totally see Cleveland coughing him up for some really solid picks this season.  They should throw Cameron in there too, just cause, but then drafting Ebron in the 1st would be a bit of a waste  hmmmmmm.

Overall, great effort.  This is definitely a logical and reasonable offseason that I could very much see happening.

This is the time of year to dream a little bit. Imagine your end result being Gordon, Maclin and Ebron w Kerley and Nelson...that would be pretty sick!

It is cool to dream. I'd dream to have Josh Gordon on this team with you...but Cleveland is not going to give him up with what you'd offer. A 1st rd pick will most likely be in that equation for whatever team decides to deal for him. And as for Byrd, we can certainly offer him a one year deal....but I highly doubt that he's going to take it. This may be his only opportunity for a "pay day". If he were to accept that deal then gets hurt next year then his stock value is out the window. Byrd is accepting a multi-year deal from someone. Maclin I can see taking a one year deal given his type of injury. 

It is cool to dream. I'd dream to have Josh Gordon on this team with you...but Cleveland is not going to give him up with what you'd offer. A 1st rd pick will most likely be in that equation for whatever team decides to deal for him. And as for Byrd, we can certainly offer him a one year deal....but I highly doubt that he's going to take it. This may be his only opportunity for a "pay day". If he were to accept that deal then gets hurt next year then his stock value is out the window. Byrd is accepting a multi-year deal from someone. Maclin I can see taking a one year deal given his type of injury.

This isn't my mock. I was j/s.

I mean. What?

Okay, first off I should have said the rest of the BIG NAME UFAS walk. I was obviously assuming we'd re-sign some of the RFAs, and a couple or a few of the smaller contract UFAs. Thats why in the lead it says here are SOME of the moves we could make, leaving out the smaller offseason transactions. The rest of the deals I've all seen in hypotheical situations. Yes, Maclin would be somewhat of a risk but you can structure the deal with little bonus making it less of a detriment if he doesn't pan out. Blount's salary was under 1 mil last year, so maybe 2 mil a year tops. Just because you have a great showing in the playoffs doesn't always guarentee a fat paycheck. he was about average during the season with 772 yards rushing. Apparently, Gordon was on the trading block, and a 3rd and two 6's might be a little lower then they'd take but if it was a 2nd and a 6th this year and a 4th next year I think they'd do it. See below:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/10/22/4866984/josh-gordon-trade-rumors-what-price-should-the-jets-pay

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1962280-5-ideal-trade-scenarios-for-the-new-york-jets-to-pursue-this-offseason/page/6 - Page no. 6

These guys have the Jets trading ONLY one 2nd or 3rd rounder for Gordon; the second article was posted 2 days ago and he has them trading either a 2nd or a 3rd rounder. Tarvaris Jackson would most likely come in as the back up or QB with experience who would be cheap. Brett Smith would be the competition for Geno, with Matt Simms also in the mix. I think Ellis for a 5th or 6th and Hill for a 3rd or 4th isn't bad.

Stephen Hill for a 2nd or 4th round pick, or both, is totally reasonable. He's incredibely productive player that teams will be jumping all over that in the deepest WR draft we've seen in the last 10 years.

The #'s for the FA's are spot on. Captain is going to get 2-3 mil on a multi-year deal. Meanwhile, Byrd's going to take a 1 year deal at 8-9 mil, while Maclin is getting a 5-6 year deal. Totally logical.

Gordon for a 3rd and 6th makes a ton of sense. He's ony emerged as like, a top 3-5 WR in the league. Totally see Cleveland coughing him up for some really solid picks this season. They should throw Cameron in there too, just cause, but then drafting Ebron in the 1st would be a bit of a waste hmmmmmm.

Overall, great effort. This is definitely a logical and reasonable offseason that I could very much see happening.

Quote: "Stephen Hill for a 2nd or 4th round pick, or both, is totally reasonable" - or both, refering to Kenrick Ellis for a 5th-6th AND Stephen Hill for a 2nd-4th not a 2nd and a 4th... I don't see it as unreasonable for another team needy for a WR trading a 3rd or 4th rounder for a project WR who had a 40 time in the top 20 ALL TIME at the combine. The Gordon trade would be for 3 picks, not 2. Yes, they might be a little higher maybe more 2nd, 6th this year and a 4th next year. He was on the trading block at the end of the season, and I think top 3-5 is a little generous... Also Captain got 1.1 mil total last year in his 6th year. Sooo yeah.

Archived