Tampa Bay may be looking at QB at 7th pick

faba

Lovie: Bucs to look at drafting QB
Updated: February 20, 2014, 12:31 PM ET
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Tampa Bay coach Lovie Smith said Thursday the Buccaneers will consider taking a quarterback with the seventh pick in May's draft.

"I know enough about that draft to know, yeah, there's someone that would be worthy of the seventh pick because everything is on the board right now,'' Smith said at the scouting combine. "Whenever you have a chance to get a franchise quarterback, you have to consider that.''

Teddy BridgewaterJohnny Manziel,Blake Bortles and Derek Carr could be available when the Bucs pick in the first round. Even if the Bucs draft a quarterback, Smith hinted that the team might want to add a veteran to go with the rookie and Mike Glennon.

"I think in an ideal world, you would like to have some kind of veteran in the mix instead of three young guys that haven't played a lot,'' Smith said. "No, that's not an ideal situation to be in at the quarterback position. I think you can maybe get away with it at some of the other positions. But no, that's not an ideal situation to be in.''

Smith said it's too early to tell if Glennon, who started 13 games as a rookie, is the long-term answer at quarterback.

"Mike did some good things, but he did some good things as a rookie,'' Smith said. "To say right now that Mike is the answer and he's our quarterback of the future and we're going to build around him and give him a 20-year contract right now, you're not there.

"You just like the things he brings to the table. Strong arm. Great guy. He is a guy that seems like he doesn't have an off-season because he has been working his butt off in the facility. But again, I just know I like him on the football team as one of our quarterbacks right now. As you mentioned, we have just two quarterbacks signed (Mike Kafka is the other). We're going to have at least four in camp, at least one guy will be in the mix and you can let that all play out.''

•  

unless Jimmy Garappolo goes bananas at Indy (not impossible) there won't be a QB available worth the 7 pick. THe top 3 should be gone by 5 at the latest. Derek Carr? Puhleeese. 

CARR is the toughest guy in this draft to guage. I go back and forth on him all the time. Unfortunately, I cant not remember how bad his brother was coming out of the same system. I know that's unfair, and he should be judged on his own merits. His physical skills are awesome, but I have watched him under pressure, and its not pretty.

Tough choice for Idzik and the Jets if he's there at #18. I think he's gone before that, just because of how many teams need QB's in this draft, but if anyone will fall to them, I thinks its him.

CARR is the toughest guy in this draft to guage. I go back and forth on him all the time. Unfortunately, I cant not remember how bad his brother was coming out of the same system. I know that's unfair, and he should be judged on his own merits. His physical skills are awesome, but I have watched him under pressure, and its not pretty.

Tough choice for Idzik and the Jets if he's there at #18. I think he's gone before that, just because of how many teams need QB's in this draft, but if anyone will fall to them, I thinks its him.

I have been getting into arguments with people on other boards about legacy. Particularly brothers.

If you have a brother like David Carr, I believe it certainly does effect the draft grade. Both guys look awesome throwing screens on a sunny day but in a pressure situation they will fold up like a lawn chair. I don't think it's unfair to grade Derek Carr based on the fact that his brother was a certain way. Especially when you look at all the lists of QB brothers, its usually the older one that has the most success. (and David did go #1 which is certainly not where Derek is gonna go). 

Similarly Jadeveon Clowney's brother is David Clowney. A guy who looked awesome in preseason and was no where to be found when you needed him. Jadeveon basically just mailed it in the whole year at SC im not saying he's a bad player. HE's an amazing athlete. but he's not worth #1 overall pick as a defender who only plays when he wants to... At least not in my book. 

back to Derek I don't think he was ever really a first round pick. NFL teams don't throw bubble screens all day. 

and back to the Jets they won't take a QB higher than the 39 pick they drafted Geno. They will go after a Brett Smith or Taj Boyd on day 3 as a back up maybe. BUt they could sign Mike Vick or whoever and it's not even a need anymore. I personally was impressed with the way Geno Smith finished the year and think he could be the QB for a while. 

Archived