Maybe the Yankees did not get screwed in the Pineda deal after all.

Bob

I am not sure there will be room for McCaan to DH.  You figure Soriano will be there if everyone is healthy.....Gardner-Ellsbury - Beltran in the outfield. Yanks line-up (if healthy) could be one of the better ones in the AL.  

Getting 145-150 games out of Tex, Jeter, Beltran and Soriano will be key. Kelly Johnson should be good for 20-25 HR's in the Bronx. Anything Brian Roberts gives them is gravy IMO....I actually prefer Sizemore at 2B upside wise.

My point is this.  Given their age, it would be extremely fortunate for all those players, much less all those old players to remain healthy for the entire year.  Giving McCaan a rest at DH while keeping his bat in the game can be worked.  That is all I am saying. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is this.  Given their age, it would be extremely fortunate for all those players, much less all those old players to remain healthy for the entire year.  Giving McCaan a rest at DH while keeping his bat in the game can be worked.  That is all I am saying. 

Agree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pineda has really good stuff. He was a guy I thought to be afraid of when the Yankees got him. If he can stay healthy, he's probably the Yankees best pitcher.  I'm not going to comment on what may or may not have been on his hand last night or in Toronto, but maybe he should do a better job of hiding it. No one cares, but no one wants to see it so blatantly either.

Pineda has really good stuff. He was a guy I thought to be afraid of when the Yankees got him. If he can stay healthy, he's probably the Yankees best pitcher.  I'm not going to comment on what may or may not have been on his hand last night or in Toronto, but maybe he should do a better job of hiding it. No one cares, but no one wants to see it so blatantly either.

Yeah. It looked like he wiped his ass with his bare hand.

I have been waaaayyyyyyy out of the loop.  Ironically I was at that game so I didn't hear about it until later.

But I didn't look it up, what is the word on the street about what it was?

I have been waaaayyyyyyy out of the loop. Ironically I was at that game so I didn't hear about it until later.

But I didn't look it up, what is the word on the street about what it was?

He was cheating for better a grip like every other pitcher in baseball. The Red Sox being the last team in baseball that would bring it to the umpires attention didn't say anything. The.issue was he didn't even attempt to hide it, so it looked pretty bad. Truth is those it's a stupid rule they should get rid of anyway. Even if I'm the batter I'm not complaining, I don't want a 6'8 guy who's throwing a 96 mph fastball having one slip out of his hand.

He was cheating for better a grip like every other pitcher in baseball. The Red Sox being the last team in baseball that would bring it to the umpires attention didn't say anything. The.issue was he didn't even attempt to hide it, so it looked pretty bad. Truth is those it's a stupid rule they should get rid of anyway. Even if I'm the batter I'm not complaining, I don't want a 6'8 guy who's throwing a 96 mph fastball having one slip out of his hand.

Agreed. Until it affects the trajectory of the ball, it's really a non-issue. Even the official rules state that if the umpire believes it's for the sole benefit of providing additional grip he could just be given a warning.  

• 2 weeks later...

Please tell and show the Red Sox pitcher caught with pine tar on his pitching hand or neck.

You're right again Carl.

I generalized the idea of using a foreign substance for grip, which is a rule they shouldn't have anyway. I do not in fact have a picture of a Red Sox pitcher, on the 4th Wednesday in March, with pine tar on the right side of his neck. There are just numerous other pictures/vidoes which you'd instantly discredit like Ortiz's positive test.

Yeah, Boston is going to be sorry they opened this can of worms. Two of the worst ball doctors in the league are on their staff.

Still, Pineda is a dumbass. Just begging to get caught.

He is a dumbass. 

If...lets say Bucholz....had a substance on him as unnaturally blatant as Pineda, than he deserves to be suspended.

Please tell and show the Red Sox pitcher caught with pine tar on his pitching hand or neck.

Don't be so defensive man, everyone does it. If you want to be naive and assume no one on your club does it, then go ahead, but it's not reality.

As a former pitcher and pitching coach, I've gotta imagine Farrell had more of a problem with Pineda being so blatant about it than him actually using it. Hell, if I'm any of the Red Sox, I'd rather him use it. I don't want a 6'7" 260 lber throwing 90+ mph at me without any control, especially on a cold night. Pineda and everyone else will continue to use it, he just needs to be smarter about where he puts it.  

Interesting move getting Pineda ejected when your entire staff is known for doing the same thing.

Up 2-0 and Farrell calls him out, when Lester and Buccholz are notorious for it is pretty bush league. Whatever, it is what it is, he'll just have to hide it better next time. The funny thing is though, Pineda didn't even touch his neck as he didn't throw a breaking ball as cruised through the two hitters in the second, he was probably saving it for Pedroia.  I'm still beyond surprised he was tossed though. It's completely discretionary on the ump's behalf and on a cold night with 20+ mph winds, that's almost always a warning.  I have to imagine the only reason he was booted was because he was so blatant about it.  What sucks is that's a guaranteed suspension and further taxes the bullpen, plus another missed start.  We' got lucky we're in the northeast so we can bring up some arms from AAA if need be.

Don't be so defensive man, everyone does it. If you want to be naive and assume no one on your club does it, then go ahead, but it's not reality.

As a former pitcher and pitching coach, I've gotta imagine Farrell had more of a problem with Pineda being so blatant about it than him actually using it. Hell, if I'm any of the Red Sox, I'd rather him use it. I don't want a 6'7" 260 lber throwing 90+ mph at me without any control, especially on a cold night. Pineda and everyone else will continue to use it, he just needs to be smarter about where he puts it.  

Read the whole thread. I have no problem with what Pineda was using it for, but you can't be that stupid and obvious.

Up 2-0 and Farrell calls him out, when Lester and Buccholz are notorious for it is pretty bush league. Whatever, it is what it is, he'll just have to hide it better next time. The funny thing is though, Pineda didn't even touch his neck as he didn't throw a breaking ball as cruised through the two hitters in the second, he was probably saving it for Pedroia.  I'm still beyond surprised he was tossed though. It's completely discretionary on the ump's behalf and on a cold night with 20+ mph winds, that's almost always a warning.  I have to imagine the only reason he was booted was because he was so blatant about it.  What sucks is that's a guaranteed suspension and further taxes the bullpen, plus another missed start.  We' got lucky we're in the northeast so we can bring up some arms from AAA if need be.

No, it's not. Not after the first game. The first game he had it smeared in his hand and the Sox said and did nothing. This time, he did it again and was even more obvious about it. He should have gotten tossed for being an idiot and he did. All of the quotes from both teams and managers line-up with what should have happened.

IMHO that is it.

I agree with your point about everyone doing it. 

You just can't be so blatantly obvious about it.

Farrell baited him and got a cheap win and combined with Pindea's stupidity, the yankees have no rub. Pretty annoying since the Yankees are playing well and shouldn't be punting games.

Yes, it's Farrell's fault Pineda slathered his neck with pine tar.

No control, gave up 2 runs in the first= cheap win. Got it.

Yeah, Boston is going to be sorry they opened this can of worms. Two of the worst ball doctors in the league are on their staff.

Still, Pineda is a dumbass. Just begging to get caught.

I am shocked that he did it this week after the footage last week.  There are no more unwritten rules.  With replay the phantom tag at 2nd base on double plays will soon be gone as well.

I am not sweating the suspension.  They need to limit his innings anyway so this forces them to do that.

I am not sweating the suspension. They need to limit his innings anyway so this forces them to do that.

I'm not really all that concerned. It probably cost us a win but it's early. I just find it interesting when they got pitchers doing the same. Buckholtz looks like part of his pre game ritual is getting into a fight with a grease trap, and now the games are going to take even longer when they play cause the umpires will be out checking constantly.

I'm not really all that concerned. It probably cost us a win but it's early. I just find it interesting when they got pitchers doing the same. Buckholtz looks like part of his pre game ritual is getting into a fight with a grease trap, and now the games are going to take even longer when they play cause the umpires will be out checking constantly.

If Pineda at least tried to hide it, I don't think Farrell would have said anything.

By being so blatant, he kind of forced Farrell's hand.

If Pineda at least tried to hide it, I don't think Farrell would have said anything.

By being so blatant, he kind of forced Farrell's hand.

No doubt this was pure stupidity. I would just suggest doing away with the rule. Doctoring to change the balls behavior is one thing, grip everyone does. Pineada just did it like a retard, which I put more on the managers. He's paid to be 6'7 and throw hard, the managers are paid to think. Its still going to lengthen these games cause now Girardi will have to request the same thing, knowing the Red Sox pitching staff.

I am shocked that he did it this week after the footage last week.  There are no more unwritten rules.  With replay the phantom tag at 2nd base on double plays will soon be gone as well.

Agree that the in the neighborhood play at 2nd base is about to become history with replay.

Agree that the in the neighborhood play at 2nd base is about to become history with replay.

I haven't seen any challenged yet.  But that is going to be hysterical when it does happen.  The short stop is two feet off the bag when he has the ball.  They will be watching it closely in slow motion, lol.  Tough call.

It's Buchholz. You're not even close on the spelling. Good lord.

Anyway, the Sox let him get away with it once. He decided to be dumb and is getting punished for breaking the rules. I doubt that there will be much retribution because the Red Sox and everyone else in Major League Baseball have figured out better ways to do it.

Archived