Sandwich Mt. Rushmore, Top 4

SouthernJet

Fried eggs bacon chedder jack cheese on an everything bagel

Meatballs, Mozzaerella, and Romano on a Hoagie

Half a loaf of Italian bread hollowed out stuffed with fried steak, salami, peperroni, oninons and pepper with provolone cheese

Hot Italian sausage,fried peppers, fried onion on a fresh crunchy italian roll  (Catholic Church feast style)

Salami, provolone, on itlian bread (basic perfection)

Peanut Butter (Skippy - there is no other) on Rye

Solid White Tuna on a Bagel

Club (Turkey Lettuce and Bacon) on toasted White

is a hamburger considered a sandwhich????

See I say no. Ditto for bagels. If you don't refer to it as a sandwich in an every day context, then it's not a sandwich. Otherwise you have to throw in bagels and gyros and schwarma...makes the whole thing way too complicated.

See I say no. Ditto for bagels. If you don't refer to it as a sandwich in an every day context, then it's not a sandwich. Otherwise you have to throw in bagels and gyros and schwarma...makes the whole thing way too complicated.

Who died and left you boss?  Your naming items off the menu of a restaraunt.  .  Not including the type of bread a sandwich lays on is the sign of a guy who never eats home.  Back off!!

Katz's Pastrami

Fat Bitch with no veggies from RU Grill

Roast beef w/ fresh mozz and gravy from Fiore's (or their prosciutto with mozz and roasted red peppers, can't go wrong with either one)

Any diner BLT

There is no better sandwich. 

RU RAH RAH

1. Shapiro's Deli (Indianapolis) - Reuben

2. Shrimp (or chicken, or both combined) parm hero on garlic bread - any legit pizza place on LI should be able to do this right

3. Thanksgiving Sammich - the way I make them for myself (crusty bread, sweet potato casserole spread on one side, mashed potatoes and stuffing spread on the other, turkey, gravy, and brussel sprouts shredded and sauted with almonds and cranberry, sometimes I also put green bean casserole on it)

4. 6 foot party hero (american or italian) - the place in the town I grew were the best, but these things were a staple of my LI upbringing that you just can't get anywhere else in the country

5. Pastrami - Sam Lagrassas in Boston /tied/ Chacarero in Boston

OK, in honor of Max's sammie thread, I'd figure we would do this..

Top 5 Sandwiches of all times: I'll start// (Subs/Hoagies dont count)

Pastrami on Rye

BLT

P&B and Jelly

Reuben

Grilled Cheese

My list would be pretty close to this one--you nailed all the classics. The only difference for me personally is that I'd probably take out the pastrami in favor of tuna on wheat.

This thread is making me hungry, which sucks because I can't get a good Reuben around here anymore.

Corn_beef_Reuben_sandwich.jpg

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

My list would be pretty close to this one--you nailed all the classics. The only difference for me personally is that I'd probably take out the pastrami in favor of tuna on wheat.

This thread is making me hungry, which sucks because I can't get a good Reuben around here anymore.

Fumare's over near the Randolph Street restaurants is solid for reubens. Any smoked meats really. Their brisket is outstanding. Best pastrami in the city hands down.

Katz's Pastrami

Roast beef w/ fresh mozz and gravy from Fiore's (or their prosciutto with mozz and roasted red peppers, can't go wrong with either one)

Any diner BLT

Either corned beef or pastrami at Katz's.

Also up there-anything from Defonte's or John's of 86th Street roast beef, mozz, onions and gravy. Hat tip to the the RB at either Roll N Roaster or Brennan&Carrs, the later of which was my place of employment from high school through college.

I used to make a sandwich with grilled chicken that I marinated in balsamic vinaigrette. It had fresh mozz, basil, sliced tomatoes, roasted red peppers... on a bread I baked fresh from the pizza dough we used in the italian restaurant I worked in when I was young.

It was amazing.

I would also use that same bread, we'd make a roast beef (for the crew only), then I'd shave slices off, get some gouda or muenster, and I made this awesome mix of mayo, roasted red peppers and horseradish... then I'd also put some gravy on the side for dipping that I made from the drippings, with mushrooms and onions added.

I used to make a sandwich with grilled chicken that I marinated in balsamic vinaigrette. It had fresh mozz, basil, sliced tomatoes, roasted red peppers... on a bread I baked fresh from the pizza dough we used in the italian restaurant I worked in when I was young.

It was amazing.

I would also use that same bread, we'd make a roast beef (for the crew only), then I'd shave slices off, get some gouda or muenster, and I made this awesome mix of mayo, roasted red peppers and horseradish... then I'd also put some gravy on the side for dipping that I made from the drippings, with mushrooms and onions added.

how do i become part of your "crew"

how do i become part of your "crew"

LOL

This was back when I was in college, I worked at an Italian restaurant / pizza place in my home town. We were in a strip next to a grocery store, so every now and then I'd treat everyone to and buy something to cook for us all - that wasn't from the menu. :)

It gave me the chance to figure out how to cook things I'd never cooked - because I had no recipes or anyone teaching me. I was just good at winging it.

The best thing I used to make for them was in fact a pizza. I'd make a HUGE portion of pescatore with the works, clams, scallops, shrimp, calamari ---- you name it --- then I'd make a pizza and cook it partially with just mozzerella, olive oil and garlic ---- once the dough tightened up, I'd pour the pescatore onto it (I always made the crust very high to contain it), then I'd cover it with provolone and finish it off.

It was ridiculous.

LOL

This was back when I was in college, I worked at an Italian restaurant / pizza place in my home town. We were in a strip next to a grocery store, so every now and then I'd treat everyone to and buy something to cook for us all - that wasn't from the menu. :)

It gave me the chance to figure out how to cook things I'd never cooked - because I had no recipes or anyone teaching me. I was just good at winging it.

The best thing I used to make for them was in fact a pizza. I'd make a HUGE portion of pescatore with the works, clams, scallops, shrimp, calamari ---- you name it --- then I'd make a pizza and cook it partially with just mozzerella, olive oil and garlic ---- once the dough tightened up, I'd pour the pescatore onto it (I always made the crust very high to contain it), then I'd cover it with provolone and finish it off.

It was ridiculous.

if you ever get divorced I'll marry you and be your bitch for food like that.

Katz's Pastrami

Any diner BLT

I'd say any of the daily special sandwiches at Fiore's

Agree with Katz's pastrami

Also the roast beef with mozzarella, onions, and that motor oil gravy. I would kill for that gravy recipe.

I am working on some new stuff for next season and for a Tailgatejoe offshoot for event catering, www.BBQwithJoe.com which i am working on. This week I was messing around with beef tri-tip. Tri-tip is next to impossible to find on the east coast as pretty much all of it goes to the Cali central coast where it is hugely popular. This is a tender cut of beef from the bottom sirloin. Each cow has 2 1.5-2.5 lb roasts, so there isn't a lot of this cut per animal. Since it is tender, it is one of those cuts that you cook to medium rare, not like the bbq cuts like brisket which you cook for hours.

Here I have it 2 ways, the first is an asian way, marinated in teriyaki, topped with an asian ginger red slaw. The second is a more traditional tri-tip preperation, "santa maria" style with a rub of fresh ground chilis, pepper, garlic and a few other spices. It is topped with carmelized onions and blue cheese crumble. Both are on custom baked Royal Crown Bakery.

If you look at the edges of the meat, you can see a darker red band. That is the smoke ring. I smoked the roasts at a super low temp until internal temp of the meat was 110, then threw them on a hot grill to sear them up. That technique is a reverse sear.

asiantritip.jpg

santamariatritip.jpg

I am working on some new stuff for next season and for a Tailgatejoe offshoot for event catering, www.BBQwithJoe.com which i am working on. This week I was messing around with beef tri-tip. Tri-tip is next to impossible to find on the east coast as pretty much all of it goes to the Cali central coast where it is hugely popular. This is a tender cut of beef from the bottom sirloin. Each cow has 2 1.5-2.5 lb roasts, so there isn't a lot of this cut per animal. Since it is tender, it is one of those cuts that you cook to medium rare, not like the bbq cuts like brisket which you cook for hours.

Here I have it 2 ways, the first is an asian way, marinated in teriyaki, topped with an asian ginger red slaw. The second is a more traditional tri-tip preperation, "santa maria" style with a rub of fresh ground chilis, pepper, garlic and a few other spices. It is topped with carmelized onions and blue cheese crumble. Both are on custom baked Royal Crown Bakery.

If you look at the edges of the meat, you can see a darker red band. That is the smoke ring. I smoked the roasts at a super low temp until internal temp of the meat was 110, then threw them on a hot grill to sear them up. That technique is a reverse sear.

asiantritip.jpg

santamariatritip.jpg

I just got hit by Crushers cumshot.

Either corned beef or pastrami at Katz's.

Also up there-anything from Defonte's or John's of 86th Street roast beef, mozz, onions and gravy. Hat tip to the the RB at either Roll N Roaster or Brennan&Carrs, the later of which was my place of employment from high school through college.

+1 for John's Deli, though last time I was there they didn't load me up with enough gravy.

Archived