Jets to go hard after McCown

T0mShane

Oh OK, so you do want the competition but Feel Geno would beat out McCown. I disagree but that's fair enough.

Just out of curiosity, if McCown was the starter of last years team in place of Geno how many more wins do you think the Jets would have had. Just curious. I would ask your prediction on this years team but we don't know what our team will look like yet.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of curiosity, if McCown was the starter of last years team in place of Geno how many more wins do you think the Jets would have had. Just curious. I would ask your prediction on this years team but we don't know what our team will look like yet.

If we were 5-4 coming out of the bye with McCown, and we had 3 ridiculously easy games starting with Buffalo (where Geno was horrendous), so we easily win at least 2 of those with McCown, making us 7-5 at that point, and then the last 3 games were also easy games so we would have been 2-1 in those, so that's 9-6, and the other game was a tossup, so at worst we would have been 9-7, and at best 10-6, and easily into the playoffs.

I think McCown is a fine signing for us. He won't turn the ball over like Sanchez or Geno, and gives the position the stability it has lacked for like... ever.

Neither Geno or any new rookie is going to suddenly fix our QB issues. Yes, he's old - it gives a couple years to find and develop a couple options to replace him.

20, obv

I have given my predictions for next year based on who we have slinging it as follows:

With Geno 7-9

With Vick 10-6

With Manziel 10-6

With Schaub 8-8

With McCown 9-7

With Sanchez 6-10

With Kolb 9-7

With Hill 9-7

If we were 5-4 coming out of the bye with McCown, and we had 3 ridiculously easy games starting with Buffalo (where Geno was horrendous), so we easily win at least 2 of those with McCown, making us 7-5 at that point, and then the last 3 games were also easy games so we would have been 2-1 in those, so that's 9-6, and the other game was a tossup, so at worst we would have been 9-7, and at best 10-6, and easily into the playoffs.

I respect your opinion. I think the Jets would have wounded up 8-8, possibly 9-7 with McCown.

I have given my predictions for next year based on who we have slinging it as follows:

With Geno 7-9

With Vick 10-6

With Manziel 10-6

With Schaub 8-8

With McCown 9-7

With Sanchez 6-10

With Kolb 9-7

With Hill 9-7

It's hard to say not knowing who will be on the team, but if the Jets upgrade the skill positions like we plan them on doing and stay healthy I would personally have higher expectations than 7-9 with Geno.

I thought we all agreed that we didn't have viable weapons this past year BUT with 12 picks and 50 mill in cap space, aren't we supposedly getting weapons, that a McCown or Vick, or Scahaub will have at their disposal.

Now the TRESTMAN vs REX comparison is a killer.

It'd be Trestman vs. Morninwheg, primarily.

And yes, with the cap space and draft picks we have, one would expect a pretty significant influx of much-needed talent.

Great article. Sanchez : ADIOS

McCown QBR: 109

Smith      QBR: 65

Hmmm........

If this was a wonderlic equation, I wonder if Eugene could figure out the differential. I'm sure he could. Its his reading comprehension that's the problem, particularly, reading defenses.

If this was a wonderlic equation, I wonder if Eugene could figure out the differential. I'm sure he could. Its his reading comprehension that's the problem, particularly, reading defenses.

Actually, surprisingly so, someone quoted on this forum that Geno scored a 25 on the wunderlic. That being said, Geno may equate QBR to GOLF and feel the lower the number the better.

Actually, surprisingly so, someone quoted on this forum that Geno scored a 25 on the wunderlic. That being said, Geno may equate QBR to GOLF and feel the lower the number the better.

He scored 24...you are banned for 30 minutes joewillie for giving him an extra point...shame on you!

Do you sell the empty cans for scrap maybe save up and buy a Jets jersey.

I've bought ONE jersey in my life and its the dude you have as your avatar, and the guy I worship. The next Jersey I buy will be of the next JET QB that wins a Superbowl, and I can pretty much guarantee, that it wont have a #7 on it.

I've bought ONE jersey in my life and its the dude you have as your avatar, and the guy I worship. The next Jersey I buy will be of the next JET QB that wins a Superbowl, and I can pretty much guarantee, that it wont have a #7 on it.

yeah you can get a Eugene Smith jersey cheap next year after he's released.

Both you guys better like eating crow.

Yeah that line from a team "insider" makes no sense.  Agree with your first sentence, but if Sanchez succeeded here how is that bad for Idzik? Because he used a 2nd round pick on a QB in his first season as GM? Tannenbaum did the exact same thing and he survived for years here despite Clemens ending up as a waste of a high draft pick. 

That insider is a fool.  Idzik is going to dump him #1 because he's a terrible QB who is more of a goofball frat boy than a team leader, #2 because he's way too expensive despite #1, and #3 the team doesn't need the drama of Sanchez vs Smith part II.  

If Idzik thought Sanchez would succeed elsewhere he would look a thousand times worse than if he succeeded here.  

I certainly was not arguing it was bad for Idzik at all if Sanchez succeeded with the Jets, if that is how it came across that was not at all my intention. I was trying to point out how asinine that statement was. If Sanchez somehow miraculously became a good QB for the Jets, it would not make Idzik look bad at all, quite the contrary. On the other hand, if Sanchez became a quality QB for another team, it would make the entire Jets organization look quite bad on many levels. All moot, cause it aint gonna be happeniz.

Yeah, I'm sure McCown would've been the same guy throwing to Greg Salas and David Nelson, as he was throwing to Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffries.

Fun facts: Josh McCown has never thrown for more than Geno's 3046 yards last year. Only once in his 11 year career has he thrown for more TDs than Geno's 12. McCown's career ypa of 6.66 is lower than Geno's 6.8. Geno rushed for 6 TDs last year, McCown has rushed for 4 in his career.

But yeah, he'd step right in here and be super-awesome. Because passer rating.

Yeah, I'm sure McCown would've been the same guy throwing to Greg Salas and David Nelson, as he was throwing to Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffries.

Fun facts: Josh McCown has never thrown for more than Geno's 3046 yards last year. Only once in his 11 year career has he thrown for more TDs than Geno's 12. McCown's career ypa of 6.66 is lower than Geno's 6.8. Geno rushed for 6 TDs last year, McCown has rushed for 4 in his career.

But yeah, he'd step right in here and be super-awesome. Because passer rating.

Question:

In an open and FAIR competition for the starting Jets QB position, who wins?

McCown vs Smith?

Vick vs Smith?

Schaub vs Smith?

Manziel vs Smith?

Kolb vs Smith?

Hill vs Smith?

Question:

In an open and FAIR competition for the starting Jets QB position, who wins?

McCown vs Smith?

Vick vs Smith?

Schaub vs Smith?

Manziel vs Smith?

Kolb vs Smith?

Hill vs Smith?

Schaub is probably the only guy who'd be a clear-cut winner over Geno. Smith would beat out McCown, Vick, and Hill. Probably Kolb, too. I don't know what Manziel looks like as a pro, yet, but he's a pipe-dream, anyway, so I don't care.

Archived