NFL expected to adopt 15-yard penalty for use of N-word on the field

CTM

NFL expected to adopt 15-yard penalty for use of N-word on the field The new rule will likely be enacted at March's owners meetings, according to the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which monitors diversity in the league. Comments (73) BY EBENEZER SAMUEL GARY MYERS NATALIE MUSUMECI AND RICH SCHAPIRO / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2014, 9:37 PM

The NFL is expected to adopt a rule that would penalize players for using the N-word on the field, according to a group that monitors diversity in the league.

The NFL is throwing a flag on use of the N-word.

In a groundbreaking move, the league is expected to agree to start penalizing players 15 yards for uttering the racial slur on the field, according to the group that monitors diversity in the league.

John Wooten, chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, said the rule will likely be adopted by the NFL competition committee at March’s owners meetings.

“I will be totally shocked if the competition committee does not uphold us on what we’re trying to do,” Wooten said, according to CBSSports.com. “We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room.

“Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere.”

RELATED: VACCHIANO: SHERMAN PROVES FURTHEST THING FROM A VILLAIN

Wooten expects the NFL to push for an automatic 15-yard penalty for first-time offenders. A second offense would result in an ejection.

nfl23n-10-web.jpg   Reactions on social media to the proposed rule have been mixed.

“I think they’re going to do what needs to be done here,” he said. “There is too much disrespect in the game.”

Retired Giants star Harry Carson, who is now the executive director of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, told the Daily News that a rule allowing officials to penalize players for using the N-word is “already in place.”

The word is considered unsportsmanlike conduct, Carson said.

“I think there is going to be a higher emphasis placed on it,” Carson said, adding that his group met with league officials last season to discuss use of the epithet.

RELATED: COP: CHARGES ‘COMING SOON’ FOR FORMER NFLER SHARPER

“It needs to be put a halt to in the locker room, on the field, whether it’s staff, whether it’s a player, there is no room for it,” the Giants legend added.

“I don’t think it’s any new rule that we are pushing for because we have been told by the league that the penalty is there. It just has to be assessed if it is used.”

eagles-football.jpg MATT ROURKE/AP The use of the racial slur came into the spotlight in July when a video showed Philadelphia Eagles receiver Riley Cooper (right) yelling the word at a concert.

Word of the proposed rule drew mixed reviews from NFL-obsessed New Yorkers.

Giants fan Brian Ellis, 32, called it absurd.

“I am sure that word gets thrown around all the time every game so how would you even enforce that?” said Ellis, of Jackson Heights, Queens.

RELATED: EAGLES’ RILEY COOPER CAUGHT HELL FOR YELLING N-WORD

“Talking s--- is a part of the game,” added Ellis, while hanging out at the Brooklyn sports bar Union Grounds in Carroll Gardens.

“I don’t think it should be banned.”

Ellis’ buddy, Rob Ruehle, agreed.

nfl23n-9-web.jpg   Some football fans are skeptical of the proposed rule, saying it's too hard to enforce or that trading insults is just part of the game.

“There are no other sports leagues that ban freedom of speech,” said Ruehle, 32, of Manhattan. “So why would the NFL do it?”

“I think the whole idea is stupid,” he added.

RELATED: SHARPTON: NFL N-WORD PENALTY A GOOD START IN TACKLING HATEFUL LANGUAGE

But Philadelphia Eagles fan Dave Cooperman, 33, said that he doesn’t have a problem with the NFL taking action against players who use the slur.

“There are a lot of ways to trash talk without saying certain words to people,” said Cooperman, who lives on the Upper East Side.

“People will adjust to the rules quickly. The players will learn to comply with the rules.”

On social media, reaction to the proposed rule was a mix of surprise and skepticism.

nfl23n-5-web.jpg AL MESSERSCHMIDT/GETTY IMAGES The rule would enact a 15-yard penalty for use of the racial epithet on the field.

“If they penalize players for saying the N-word.. The highest NFL score will be 8 to 2.. With negative 700 in total yardage..” wrote one user.

RELATED: JOHNSON: NFL PLAN TO PENALIZE USE OF N-WORD FAILS TO SOLVE WIDER RACIAL PROBLEMS

It’s hard to know how often the N-word is used on the field, but it was a prominent off-field issue for the league this season.

The use of the slur by NFL players was thrust into the spotlight in late July when a video surfaced showing Eagles receiver Riley Cooper yelling the epithet at a concert.

Just a few months later, it was part of the controversy in the Miami Dolphins locker room mess.

The N-word was part of a barrage of bullying texts Richie Incognito hurled at Jonathan Martin. In one, Incognito referred to Martin, who is biracial, as a “half-n-----.”

And then in November, an NFL game official was suspended for one game without pay after making “a profane and derogatory statement” to a Washington Redskins player during a game.

Left tackle Trent Williams later said that the N-word was not among the vulgar language uttered by umpire Roy Ellison.

But the incident prompted the Fritz Pollard Alliance to issue a statement imploring all NFL players to stop using the racial slur.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-expected-adopt-15-yard-penalty-n-word-article-1.1698783#ixzz2uFLHqULb

=======================================

The JN thought police react!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing you can't do at your work. With this and the Incognito stuff. The NFL is catching up to society in the late 60's.

I use it all the time at work and this is ******* retarded. Enough with the kiddie gloves.

And as mentioned funny they allow the term Redskins as a team name but if you say ninja you get flagged. What about redneck, cracker and all the other terms that all get banned for writing because some over sensitive boob will complain.

What if a black guy uses it?

What about the JB word or SC or PM or whatever. Technically those are safe?

I really had no idea this was such an issue in the NFL. You'd think in a sport where most of your teammates are black you wouldn't use it. I don't imagine if it was used in a racially insensitive way you'd be very popular with your teammates.

In a related note, I do not want Riley Cooper on the Jets.

I use it all the time at work and this is ******* retarded. Enough with the kiddie gloves.

And as mentioned funny they allow the term Redskins as a team name but if you say ninja you get flagged. What about redneck, cracker and all the other terms that all get banned for writing because some over sensitive boob will complain.

If this were to go through, more words would quickly be added to the forbidden list.  I'm looking forward to it being run like a kindergarten classroom, will be awesome..

What if a black guy uses it?

What about the JB word or SC or PM or whatever. Technically those are safe?

I really had no idea this was such an issue in the NFL. You'd think in a sport where most of your teammates are black you wouldn't use it. I don't imagine if it was used in a racially insensitive way you'd be very popular with your teammates.

In a related note, I do not want Riley Cooper on the Jets.

It's not an issue. The word is used as slang among the black players.

Okay, what if a white guy uses it on his teammate like, "Way to tackle, N---a!" and slaps him on the ass. Penalty?

What if the guy being called a n---a is not really offended because he's like a multi millionaire and stuff that is comfortable in his own skin and who recognizes it is just an idiotic word that had way more power in the 60's than it could possibly have today.

I think the referee should check. Like after he hears it, he goes up to the guy, flag at the ready and asks, "Are you offended?"

"Yes, I am offended."

FLAG

"Are you offended?"

"Nah, not really."

Flag goes back in pocket.

there's no logical defense for allowing the word in the NFL. Anyone against this ban can't come up with a sound reason why the word should stay, un-penalized. 

just a bunch of reactionaries wishing life was the way it was back in the 1950's. when life was simpler and the white man wasn't so butt hurt.

and by the way allowing Redskins doesn't make it right either. That team name should also be changed. two wrongs don't make a right. 

there's no logical defense for allowing the word in the NFL. Anyone against this ban can't come up with a sound reason why the word should stay, un-penalized. 

just a bunch of reactionaries wishing life was the way it was back in the 1950's. when life was simpler and the white man wasn't so butt hurt.

and by the way allowing Redskins doesn't make it right either. That team name should also be changed. two wrongs don't make a right. 

Shouldn't it just be a ban on racial slurs? Or just the main ones, at least?

Like Jews get Kike, hispanics get Spic, Blacks get n---r (see I can't even type the whole word), asians, all of them can get Chink, Incognito can get Wop, etc...

(I'm a kike wop, by the way)

Archived