NFL expected to adopt 15-yard penalty for use of N-word on the field

CTM

Franchises aren't exempt from lawsuits because they were penalized 15 yards.  The point is, that has absolutely nothing to do with what happens on the field of play, which is what penalties are supposed to be related to.  Perhaps next the NFL should start having on-field penalties against home teams who don't sell out their stadiums.  And it can be an even bigger penalty.

nothing can "exempt" you from a lawsuit--this is america, baby! what penalizing this conduct can do, however, is show that the NFL took some steps to stop behavior that could constitute a hostile work environment making such a suit easier to defend.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point of the NFL is entertainment. the section of the population who find grown men lobbing racial slurs at each other entertaining shrinks by the day. 

Ah yes, and you've officially gone all bitonti on the thread; the tried and untrue straw man has arrived.

So if we could get back to reality for a moment, the point is rather simple: having an issue the NFL would like to address in no way necessitates or justifies evaluating it on the field as the equivalent to the most significantly influential in-game penalties (with the lone exception of PI calls over 15 yards), for something that has literally no impact whatsoever on the game itself.

The N-word will be replaced with something else, "Uncle Tom", "Monica"...players who try to use derogatory language to get into their opponents' heads will find a loop-hole and/or a way to say it when they're 10-yds away from the nearest official. 

Stupid rule

the problem with this rule is it is centered around one word. I hear the word *** all the time. 99% of the time, I hear it from black guys, who use it instead of word like dude, homeboy, or whatever else. and half the time it isn't a black guy using the word towards another black guy. I have a few black friends who use the word to me and I am as white as they come. in 99% of the times, it ceases to be a racial slur at all. it seams ridiculous to ban a word for 1% of its racial use

Ah yes, and you've officially gone all bitonti on the thread; the tried and untrue straw man has arrived.

So if we could get back to reality for a moment, the point is rather simple: having an issue the NFL would like to address in no way necessitates or justifies evaluating it on the field as the equivalent to the most significantly influential in-game penalties (with the lone exception of PI calls over 15 yards), for something that has literally no impact whatsoever on the game itself.

That's not true,  What about if player A calls players B the N word, and player B gets all sad panda like and drops the game winning TD pass? How can they be expected to perform when the other players are insensitive and say hurtful things to them?

there's no logical defense for allowing the word in the NFL. Anyone against this ban can't come up with a sound reason why the word should stay, un-penalized.

So what you're telling me is that hate speech against black people is a major problem in the NFL? By my count, at least 18 of the 22 starters for the Jets in 2013 were black.

this thread got me thinking what some of the NFL rules might be next time jets win the superbowl:

• No taunts to aliens who are on the planet illegally
  • NZT-48 (Limitless) banned as performance enhancing drug
  • Stealing signals with telepathic mutants prohibited
  • Each team can only have one cyborg on the field at a given time

That's not true,  What about if player A calls players B the N word, and player B gets all sad panda like and drops the game winning TD pass? How can they be expected to perform when the other players are insensitive and say hurtful things to them?

How could I have not thought of that?  Thank you CTM, you've helped me to see the light.  Maybe this will help to convince players to instead opt to take intentional shots at each others heads or knees.  Sure it would cause injuries, but the penalties would be no different and, best of all, no feelings would be hurt.  The NFL would surely be better off for it.

The league is really exposing themselves here with this scenario. Good thinking. 

the problem with this rule is it is centered around one word. I hear the word *** all the time. 99% of the time, I hear it from black guys, who use it instead of word like dude, homeboy, or whatever else. and half the time it isn't a black guy using the word towards another black guy. I have a few black friends who use the word to me and I am as white as they come. in 99% of the times, it ceases to be a racial slur at all. it seams ridiculous to ban a word for 1% of its racial use

When it comes down to it.  Using the word, the way you've expressed will continue to be tolerated. 

I see this penalty being an extension of the taunting penalty.  When a player intentionally stands over another, spits in their face, or looks them in the eye and angrily labels the N-word in the middle of a scrum, the yellow flag will come out. 

the point of the NFL isn't to create winners. It's to create entertainment. If someone wins or loses because of taunting or a taunting penalty guess what we all will still watch. None of you guys are going to quit watching the NFL because it got too PC. It's all about money. 

the point of the NFL isn't to create winners. It's to create entertainment. If someone wins or loses because of taunting or a taunting penalty guess what we all will still watch. None of you guys are going to quit watching the NFL because it got too PC. It's all about money. 

I dunno..... no sure I'd tune in to watch if the Jets line was made up of you, aten, rjf, dbatesman and tomshane wearing rainbow tutu's, playing an organized activity with no aggressive touching or speech allowed, were there are no winners or losers and everyone gets a participation ribbon. 

I dunno..... no sure I'd tune in to watch if the Jets line was made up of you, aten, rjf, dbatesman and tomshane wearing rainbow tutu's, playing an organized activity with no aggressive touching or speech allowed, were there are no winners or losers and everyone gets a participation ribbon. 

LOL

I would pay good money to see that

Otherwise known as a Phish concert.

If my muffin top werent so fat and lazy, this would be the POTW.

Bravo

Here we see the alpha male in his natural state. Acting collectively as a bastion of athletic prowess, handing down judgement on lesser genera deemed as inferior to their own burly and able-bodied dexterity.

628x471.jpg

All I see here is a bunch of potential 4.5 forty running, 500 lb squatting prospective NFL players, except for the chick..obvi.   If only that maryjawana wasn't clouding their drive. 

You'd watch. 

All I see here is a bunch of potential 4.5 forty running, 500 lb squatting prospective NFL players, except for the chick..obvi.   If only that maryjawana wasn't clouding their drive. 

I dunno, the girl looks like a better athlete than those fat CTM like wannabe hippies.

Don't be fooled my friend. Beyond the rough exterior rests the minds and souls of pure intellectuals. Huckleberries of true reason, inimical to the interests of self-proclaimed experts who seek to shortcut learned disciplines.

what about, "i'm gonna knock you out?"

that's worse

if you really think about it

ah... the thread where white men find esoteric ways to defend using the N word. internet you've done it again. 

Don't worry, they can still call each other thugs. 

unsportsmanlike rule covers this. if you call a teammate that word as a term of endearment (whether you agree that is proper use or not) or you say it to an opposing player as a taunt, should be considered before throwing the flag.

ah... the thread where white men find esoteric ways to defend using the N word. internet you've done it again. 

Don't worry, they can still call each other thugs. 

ah... the poster who is so completely incapable of putting together a coherent argument, that he constantly fabricates things and credits them to people that never said anything close to it.

Archived