Jordan Matthews

BroadwayJets

I dont hate bleacher, though many here do. I've never read that from bleacher about Matthews. I've read from everyone that were taking Ebron. 

bleacher report team stream app is gods gift to sports fans. I highly highly reccomend it if you want to know everything about whatever team/league your interested in.

But yea they posted some things a while back before the combine saying jordan matthews would be #1 on the watch list for the jets because lee evans and watkins may all be gone by 18.

then they posted a post combine article saying biggest takeaway for jets is matthews impressive combine that probably makes him a better pick then lee if hes still there

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can agree with that. I think that Matthews is a mid first to early 2nd round pick. Matthews most likely won't make it to pick 49. I'm very high on Matthews because I think he's the most polished of the available WR's. He may not have the highest ceiling, but I think that he will have a better overall 1st season than any other wr in this class because he has less parts to his game to really work on. This view is based on his consistency, the fact that HE didn't come out early and the adversity he worked through with different coaches and coordinators. And unlike the other top WR's, he didnt have a top qb throwing him the ball or having another weapon on the field to take attention away from him. 2 weeks ago he was too slow, then he runs a 40 faster than Lee...twice. Mix that in with the fact that through all that he manages to be statistically the best wr ever in the SEC......taking him at 18 isn't a reach in my book

Matthews very well might be the most pro ready WR in this draft but the first round isn't about picking the most pro ready it's about upside. Im not against Matthews im just against overpaying for him.  if everyone else has a 30-40 grade on him and the Jets take him around 20 that's a reach. Idzik seems to be anti-reach. Whoever he picks is a player that someone will have mock drafted earlier. 

Matthews very well might be the most pro ready WR in this draft but the first round isn't about picking the most pro ready it's about upside. Im not against Matthews im just against overpaying for him.  if everyone else has a 30-40 grade on him and the Jets take him around 20 that's a reach. Idzik seems to be anti-reach. Whoever he picks is a player that someone will have mock drafted earlier. 

isnt that the opposite of what he did with the richardson pick? Star loluletti and others were still on the board

isnt that the opposite of what he did with the richardson pick? Star loluletti and others were still on the board

it depends on the board. Some had Sheldon as their best defender. And others didn't have Star on their board at all due to heart stuff. Dee and Geno definitely were value. 

I totally understand that position though I wouldn't use that all the time. It depends on the circumstance of the team talent wise. Stephen Hills upside in comparison to alshon Jeffery or Jordan Matthews  for that matter is off the charts. However upside is solely based on potential that Isn't yet recognized. In otherwords that potential needs development or it could spell bust. Jordan Matthews pro readiness shouldnt be overlooked for guys with huge potential but could spell bust. The Jets need certainty at the position and in my opinion you start off with the sure thing if you will, not upside that needs development that may or may not come to past. Look at our 4.3 incredible upside wr sitting on the bench because he can't catch or run solid routes. Geno needs consistency, Matthews is the most consistent pro ready wide out who should have no problem starting from day one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I like him a lot too.

The kid is talented. I really enjoyed the video above because the guy said alot of things that I've thought. If Matthews was playing on a top college team in regards to recognition and prestige then people would be all over this dude. Matthews didnt have one great year then bolted to the pros. Matthews could have left Vanderbilt his junior year after putting up 94 catches for over 1,300 yards and 8 TD's. He decided to go back to school where in his senior year caught 112 passes for almost 1,500 yards and 7 TD's. He's the most consistent WR in the draft. Thats not even debatable. 

What I like most about Matthews is that he plays every wideout position, including lining up at times in the TE position. The kid is versatile which will make him a nightmare for defenses. Whoever picks him up will have made a great choice and will get a great football player. Lets just hope its the Jets. 

even tho he ran a 4.4 in INdy he didn't get separation at the Senior Bowl. It's a very deep WR crop and someone's gotta fall. There's 2 guys who ran a legit 4.3 ( cooks and beckham ). There's sleepers like Paul Robinson and the other Clemson WR Martevious Bryant who ran legit 4.3. there's another 4.4 big guy in Donte Moncrief.

if Evans doesn't make it down, it's quesitonable to me that any of these guys are better than best available defender at that point. Jordan Matthews is not a better prospect than CB Gilbert, OLB Barr, ILB Mosely, OT Martin etc. And probably neither are those other guys. I'd rather they go BAP in rd 1 (probably not Matthews) and look for WR on the flip flop. 

I like Matthews, but Bit has nailed it.  BAP trumps getting the "next best" WR.  There are other guys of the same ilk as Matthews -- there is not any part of his game that differentiates him from the "rest of the best" not named Watkins, Evans or Lee.  And, I am not even sure he the at the top of the next tier of WR's.  He's there, but so are Benjamin, Cooks and Beckham.  Everybody looks like a world beater this time of year with their 5 minute highlight reels -- remember the hype about Jordan White?

I like Matthews, but Bit has nailed it.  BAP trumps getting the "next best" WR.  There are other guys of the same ilk as Matthews -- there is not any part of his game that differentiates him from the "rest of the best" not named Watkins, Evans or Lee.  And, I am not even sure he the at the top of the next tier of WR's.  He's there, but so are Benjamin, Cooks and Beckham.  Everybody looks like a world beater this time of year with their 5 minute highlight reels -- remember the hype about Jordan White?

I see your point though Jordan White is no Jordan Matthews. The hype surrounding Jordan White was somewhat legitimate. Whites problem was his health. He couldnt contribute because of it. Matthews doesnt have that problem. Im not saying to jump the gun here, though I honestly think that Matthews at 18 isnt a reach atleast from the WR perspective unless Mike Evans falls to 18. If Watkins and Evans is off the board then I feel you can certainly make the argument for Matthews over Lee who has a history of injuries and some believe that he didnt run at his pro day because of it. Now if we're talking about the entire draft then yes, there could be better players to draft over Matthews at another position. 

My thing is I dont see Matthews getting out of the first round with Carolina and the 49ers looking at WR's as well. I could be totally wrong about draft placement for sure. I've never been good at predicting that. No one ever thought Geno Smith would have slipped to the Jets in the 2nd so you never know. All I can say is that I believe that the team who drafts Matthews is going to draft a winner. 

He's an over achiever who's limited as an athlete. He has a place in the NFL but I don't see it as a 1st rounder. At best he's a 2nd tier with Benjamin, Beckham. But I don't see much for me to rather him over Robinson or Donte Moncrief.

Respected, but for the record, Robinson, Moncrief and Beckam are all better than Benjamin. Benjamin is a 3rd round talent. Maybe its me but I dont like him. 

I see your point though Jordan White is no Jordan Matthews. The hype surrounding Jordan White was somewhat legitimate. Whites problem was his health. He couldnt contribute because of it. Matthews doesnt have that problem. Im not saying to jump the gun here, though I honestly think that Matthews at 18 isnt a reach atleast from the WR perspective unless Mike Evans falls to 18. If Watkins and Evans is off the board then I feel you can certainly make the argument for Matthews over Lee who has a history of injuries and some believe that he didnt run at his pro day because of it. Now if we're talking about the entire draft then yes, there could be better players to draft over Matthews at another position. 

My thing is I dont see Matthews getting out of the first round with Carolina and the 49ers looking at WR's as well. I could be totally wrong about draft placement for sure. I've never been good at predicting that. No one ever thought Geno Smith would have slipped to the Jets in the 2nd so you never know. All I can say is that I believe that the team who drafts Matthews is going to draft a winner. 

In addition to the foot, Jordan White also suffered from putting up insane numbers against less than stellar competition.  Hey, if Matthews is the Jets' BPA available at 18, I have no problem with the pick.  He is definitely right in the mix with the other WR's I mentioned.   I am all about BPA and a measured approach to the draft.  Heck, I could even see them trading out of the first round for more picks if they have players graded relatively close to what's available at 18.  

Respected, but for the record, Robinson, Moncrief and Beckam are all better than Benjamin. Benjamin is a 3rd round talent. Maybe its me but I dont like him.

I don't see all 32 teams not valuing the guy in the 2nd round at worst. We're talking about someone who can go 16th to the Steelers as he's the fit they're looking for in a receiving target. He's much more of a red zone target then all those guys although not as quick. As for Beckham, I don't see much in him but an good athlete who dominated against weak competition.

I don't see all 32 teams not valuing the guy in the 2nd round at worst. We're talking about someone who can go 16th to the Steelers as he's the fit they're looking for in a receiving target. He's much more of a red zone target then all those guys although not as quick. As for Beckham, I don't see much in him but an good athlete who dominated against weak competition.

If they are looking for a Cotchery type replacement, I can see that.  The Steelers have a whole lot of other directions they might go in, so that pic is far from a slam dunk even if he is on the board.

In addition to the foot, Jordan White also suffered from putting up insane numbers against less than stellar competition.  Hey, if Matthews is the Jets' BPA available at 18, I have no problem with the pick.  He is definitely right in the mix with the other WR's I mentioned.   I am all about BPA and a measured approach to the draft.  Heck, I could even see them trading out of the first round for more picks if they have players graded relatively close to what's available at 18.  

I was hoping that they would trade back into the 1st round and pick him up there while picking up another pick in the later rounds. As for Matthews, he played in the SEC and put up some damn good numbers for 3 year straight, getting better the following year. I hear bit on the BPA position, I think where I differ with people is how good Matthews is. I think he's better than what others think which is why I dont even have a problem taking him at 18. Some argue that he doesnt have as high a ceiling as other prospects, and this may be true, but what is for damn sure true is that Matthews certainly has a higher floor. He's the only WR in this draft that I feel is NFL ready right now. So Wakins may have the highest ceiling, but if  you were to ask me who is more NFL ready right now, I'll give that to Matthews. Now given that we're not talking about a top 5 pick, which is where Watkins is most likely going but we're talking about a bottom teens pick I would feel safe to take Matthews at 18 and be content in the decision on my way to the 2nd round. 

NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he sees "style" similarities between Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief, and Demaryius Thomas and Josh Gordon on Moncrief's college tape.

Cosell made it clear he wasn't wholeheartedly comparing Moncrief to Thomas and Gordon, but did liken their playing styles. "I really, really like this kid," Cosell said. "He's a big, physical kid who can run." Cosell also hinted he sees Moncrief as talented enough to be a "No. 1" NFL receiver. Moncrief measured 6-foot-2, 221 at February's Scouting Combine. His official forty time was 4.40.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast Mar 18 - 10:24 PM

IF Benjamin could use his body like Jimmy Graham uses his, Benjamin would be the best WR in the draft bar none. He could certainly learn, but when I look at his feet and watch him I just dont see it. He's not as bad as Stephen Hill, I just dont like that way Hill moves. Maybe these guys are just too tall and they dont have the ability to move their body the way a guy 5'10 can. Megatron is so ridiculous because he's a 6'5 WR who can move his body like a 5'11 WR. Its hard for me to pinpoint what i mean in order to explain, but when i watch Benjamin im just not seeing what I want to see out of that body. Jimmy Graham, Megatron....these guys are monsters because they use their body so well. 

If they are looking for a Cotchery type replacement, I can see that.  The Steelers have a whole lot of other directions they might go in, so that pic is far from a slam dunk even if he is on the board.

That's understandable as I never seen anything being as slam dunk selection to be honest. As for Cotchery's replacement they all ready have it in Markus Wheaton. They're trying to get a big target receiver for Ben. They can easily go NT with Nix, CB or TE but there main emphasis is a big receiving target which screams Evans and Benjamin.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he sees "style" similarities between Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief, and Demaryius Thomas and Josh Gordon on Moncrief's college tape.

Cosell made it clear he wasn't wholeheartedly comparing Moncrief to Thomas and Gordon, but did liken their playing styles. "I really, really like this kid," Cosell said. "He's a big, physical kid who can run." Cosell also hinted he sees Moncrief as talented enough to be a "No. 1" NFL receiver. Moncrief measured 6-foot-2, 221 at February's Scouting Combine. His official forty time was 4.40.

This class is deep. I'll agree with that. Someone is coming away with a steal in the later rounds. Usually when the "experts" talk about deepness in the draft I tend to ignore it. But there are some guys who've I watch that havent even been mentioned and im like "this guy is good". Cody Latimer from indiana comes to mind. I've been touting him as of late. 

WR is so stacked this year that its going to get devalued.  Mathews would be a surefire 1st rd. pick most other years.  But with this talented group, its possible a WR taken in the third, or even fourth round, becomes the stud of the bunch.  JM could absolutely fall to the second.  But the early second, if you ask me.  Gone before our pick in the round.  Which leads to the inevitable hope that Idzik can trade down, stockpile and still get his highest pick to be a stud.  Here's hoping.

WR is so stacked this year that its going to get devalued.  Mathews would be a surefire 1st rd. pick most other years.  But with this talented group, its possible a WR taken in the third, or even fourth round, becomes the stud of the bunch.  JM could absolutely fall to the second.  But the early second, if you ask me.  Gone before our pick in the round.  Which leads to the inevitable hope that Idzik can trade down, stockpile and still get his highest pick to be a stud.  Here's hoping.

I agree. Some kid is going to go in the 5th round that has the talent and happens to land in the right program and he's going to go nuts. It wouldnt surprise me. I have no idea who it is though. But this WR class is looking nice. 

With that said though, this class will also provide a bust or two. 

IF Benjamin could use his body like Jimmy Graham uses his, Benjamin would be the best WR in the draft bar none. He could certainly learn, but when I look at his feet and watch him I just dont see it. He's not as bad as Stephen Hill, I just dont like that way Hill moves. Maybe these guys are just too tall and they dont have the ability to move their body the way a guy 5'10 can. Megatron is so ridiculous because he's a 6'5 WR who can move his body like a 5'11 WR. Its hard for me to pinpoint what i mean in order to explain, but when i watch Benjamin im just not seeing what I want to see out of that body. Jimmy Graham, Megatron....these guys are monsters because they use their body so well.

Your trying to say that they aren't fluid athletes. That it doesn't look smooth or as smooth are an agile smaller receiver. I really don't see a difference in Benjamin's movement compared to others his size. My main concern with is the growing pains. How long will it take to get accustom to the NFL. Because last year he wasn't there for Manuel.

I was hoping that they would trade back into the 1st round and pick him up there while picking up another pick in the later rounds. As for Matthews, he played in the SEC and put up some damn good numbers for 3 year straight, getting better the following year. I hear bit on the BPA position, I think where I differ with people is how good Matthews is. I think he's better than what others think which is why I dont even have a problem taking him at 18. Some argue that he doesnt have as high a ceiling as other prospects, and this may be true, but what is for damn sure true is that Matthews certainly has a higher floor. He's the only WR in this draft that I feel is NFL ready right now. So Wakins may have the highest ceiling, but if  you were to ask me who is more NFL ready right now, I'll give that to Matthews. Now given that we're not talking about a top 5 pick, which is where Watkins is most likely going but we're talking about a bottom teens pick I would feel safe to take Matthews at 18 and be content in the decision on my way to the 2nd round. 

Agreed, after the top three.

As on Ole Miss fan I will say Moncrief will be good, but I am not sure about a #1 good.   He has breakaway speed and go up and attack the ball.  He is also a very good blocker, but last year he did have some drops.  Also, you can't really go by his stats from last year as the QB was recovering from a shoulder injury and his arm strength faded bad as the season went on.

Jordan ******* White.  Does he have more production than Clyde Gates yet?  Another example of a guy I was told to "watch the tape on"   A slug is a slug is a slug.  Combine beats tape in some instances.  Slow WRs do not generally make it in the NFL especially when they are barely 6'/200.  

Jordan ******* White.  Does he have more production than Clyde Gates yet?  Another example of a guy I was told to "watch the tape on"   A slug is a slug is a slug.  Combine beats tape in some instances.  Slow WRs do not generally make it in the NFL especially when they are barely 6'/200.  

If white wasnt prone to constant injury things might have been different for him. Does tape on a prospect bother you? I'm not sure if you were making some indirect point or something.

Archived