Dolphins giving up on Dion Jordan already? (MERGED)

Sperm Edwards

Dion Jordan - DL - Dolphins

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Dolphins are "gauging trade value" for 2013 No. 3 overall draft pick Dion Jordan.

In a deal made by ex-GM Jeff Ireland, Miami sent the Nos. 12 and 42 overall picks to Oakland during last year's draft to land Jordan at No. 3. Fins DC Kevin Coyle, who remains on staff, struggled to find a position fit for Jordan despite freakish athletic tools, as he only played 330 snaps on defense. Jordan's trade value after a disappointing rookie year is unclear, but his contract would be easy to fit under another team's salary cap, and he's a high-ceiling 24-year-old athlete. We suspect he could fetch a second-round pick, even if "giving up" on Jordan after one year would be a spectacular embarrassment to the franchise.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/439477929551347713

MIA has been gauging trade value for '13 1st round pick Dion Jordan, league sources said, after trading up to 3rd overall for him last year

Although this seems ridiculous, if they realized right away that this guy couldn't play, I give them credit for having the balls to do this.

Because I'm sure there were a lot of people on the jets staff who knew after one year that gholston would never become a player.

It's still insane. They gave him a $13.5M signing bonus. But because the balance of Jordan's contract is so cheap, they can definitely get someone to fork over a higher pick for him.

Gholston was still due huge, huge guaranteed dollars after his rookie season was over (almost a $15M option bonus due in March of that year). He was due more than double, just in year 2, than the last 3 years of Jordan's contract combined.

Also they had GM turnover and we didn't.

Nowhere in the same universe as the same thing, even if Gholston is 1000x worse than Jordan.

It's still insane. They gave him a $13.5M signing bonus. But because the balance of Jordan's contract is so cheap, they can definitely get someone to fork over a higher pick for him.Gholston was still due huge, huge guaranteed dollars after his rookie season was over (almost a $15M option bonus due in March of that year). He was due more than double, just in year 2, than the last 3 years of Jordan's contract combined.Also they had GM turnover and we didn't.Nowhere in the same universe as the same thing, even if Gholston is 1000x worse than Jordan.

True

I know Rex was hot for him last year... Miami Reached by about 10 spots.

Would you trade for him? 2nd round pick?

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora · 3h
MIA has been gauging trade value for '13 1st round pick Dion Jordan, league sources said, after trading up to 3rd overall for him last year

I know Rex was hot for him last year... Miami Reached by about 10 spots.

Would you trade for him? 2nd round pick?

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora · 3h

if Miami is willing to trade him to the Jets, that would be evidence that he really sucks. 

He's been overrated from the start. He's not a pass rusher, and he's not savvy enough to drop back in the passing game. Typical case of a team falling in love with Combine numbers and ignoring the play on the field. I recall all the draftniks getting hard-ons because Jordan would split out and bump the slot receiver, as if that was going to translate.

Although this seems ridiculous, if they realized right away that this guy couldn't play, I give them credit for having the balls to do this.

Because I'm sure there were a lot of people on the jets staff who knew after one year that gholston would never become a player.

It definitely wasn't Ghosts talent that kept him around that long. It was the cap hit to release him. Jets would have had to pay him a ton to release him.

He's been overrated from the start. He's not a pass rusher, and he's not savvy enough to drop back in the passing game. Typical case of a team falling in love with Combine numbers and ignoring the play on the field. I recall all the draftniks getting hard-ons because Jordan would split out and bump the slot receiver, as if that was going to translate.

Good old Tommy Tomatoes, monday mornin quarterbackin it.  Didn't you have a hard-on for Jordan and kept projecting him to us in a lot of your mocks? Both him and Jones?  

Edit: I agree though, it's kind of the vibe that I'm getting from Barr to be honest.

Good old Tommy Tomatoes, monday mornin quarterbackin it. Didn't you have a hard-on for Jordan and kept projecting him to us in a lot of your mocks? Both him and Jones?

Edit: I agree though, it's kind of the vibe that I'm getting from Barr to be honest.

I mayyyyyy have. Stupid Kiper.

I mayyyyyy have. Stupid Kiper.

Ehh, everyone had a hard-on for him.  He's just being misused. He's not a pass-rusher and is better suited to be a WLB who drops into coverage and not worthy of such a lofty pick.  Maybe he turns it around though.  Limas Sweed still haunts my dreams. That f*cking guy, still don't get it.

It's still insane. They gave him a $13.5M signing bonus. But because the balance of Jordan's contract is so cheap, they can definitely get someone to fork over a higher pick for him.

the SB is what realistically prevents a trade, unless Ross is trying to save money this year and is ok with taking the 10M cap hit.    

Gholston was still due huge, huge guaranteed dollars after his rookie season was over (almost a $15M option bonus due in March of that year). He was due more than double, just in year 2, than the last 3 years of Jordan's contract combined.

Also they had GM turnover and we didn't.

Nowhere in the same universe as the same thing, even if Gholston is 1000x worse than Jordan.

You think the new CBA could have played a role in this as well? Gholston, like Sanchez were drafted when a top 10 pick could have gotten you the highest contract in team history and you didnt even play a down in the pros. The amount of money may have played a role in trying to salvage Gholston. Im not sure how that goes. 

You think the new CBA could have played a role in this as well? Gholston, like Sanchez were drafted when a top 10 pick could have gotten you the highest contract in team history and you didnt even play a down in the pros. The amount of money may have played a role in trying to salvage Gholston. Im not sure how that goes.

The new CBA is absolutely the reason why Jordan's contract is so much less than Gholston's.

pretty good take on this issue from Philly.com. Obviously Chip Kelly would have an opinion.

Trading Jordan doesn't really pass the smell test from the Dolphins' perspective, unless they were to receive a very good package of picks and/or players in return. In such a deep and talented draft class, Jordan may not be worth a heavy investment, but I'd bet Howie Roseman and Chip Kelly would at least listen to what the Dolphins have in mind. The Eagles do have a a pair of potential trade chips in Brandon Graham and Vinny Curry, who are both talented players in need of a scheme that better fits their skill sets... and Miami would fit that bill.

NFL OFFSEASON!!!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Dolphins-reportedly-shopping-Dion-Jordan.html

Archived