Report: Redskins agonizing over whether to keep Orakpo

eboozer

Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2014, 6:10 PM EST

If the Washington Redskins haven’t made an “official offer” to linebacker Brian Orakpo, there’s a good reason for it.

They haven’t decided whether they want to keep him.

Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that the team isn’t sure whether to make the financial commitment necessary to keep Orakpo around.

“I think there’s a lot of back and forth on it,” an unnamed source with knowledge of the team’s deliberations told Maske. “I don’t think it’s clear cut.”

Maske also explains that it’s a “really close call” on whether the Redskins will apply the franchise tag to Orakpo before Monday’s deadline. A decision to tag Orakpo could be followed by a Terrell Suggs-style fight over whether he’s really a defensive end, which has a 2014 tender amount of $13.116 million. The franchise tag for linebackers is $11.455 million.

The Redskins also could apply the transition tag to Orakpo, which would give them a right to match but not compensation if he leave. It would cost $9.754 million at linebacker, $10.633 million at defensive end. And if Orakpo signs the tender, the money will become fully guaranteed.

The Redskins have a history of spending bigger money on free agents from other teams than on their own players, a practice that can send a bad message to a locker room full of young players hoping to be rewarded financially for their efforts. It’s always better for those players to think they’ll get their reward without having to move to a new city.

Orakpo would be a terror in Rex's system with this D-Line. I'd love it if we signed him.

He's going to be 10+ million.  Over the next two or so years the Jets are going to have to spend a ton of money on their own D line.  Just to expensive 

He's going to be 10+ million. Over the next two or so years the Jets are going to have to spend a ton of money on their own D line. Just to expensive

Please name the FA that u would like to spend real money on this year? We HAVE to spend over 35 mil this year. If not for a all pro outside lb then again. Please state who the money is spent on.

Please name the FA that u would like to spend real money on this year? We HAVE to spend over 35 mil this year. If not for a all pro outside lb then again. Please state who the money is spent on.

They don't have to spend all the money.  They have to spend 89%  over, I believe it is a 4 year period.  

First place I'd start is with Mo Wilks.   I might give some high money to aging players in the form of a 1 year contract, that can be escaped next year if they are over the hill, and restore the cap room.  Maybe one or two intermediate players to fill holes.

One thing I wouldn't do is spend the money just because they have it 

They don't have to spend all the money.  They have to spend 89%  over, I believe it is a 4 year period.  

First place I'd start is with Mo Wilks.   I might give some high money to aging players in the form of a 1 year contract, that can be escaped next year if they are over the hill, and restore the cap room.  Maybe one or two intermediate players to fill holes.

Why spend on Mo this year? He's not due to be a FA until next year, and we still control his rights for 2-3 more years? If at the at the end of FA you have a ton of money left you can apply it towards next year, when doing a deal for MO is necessary. Heaven forbid he gets injured this year AFTER you give him the big deal.... what's the rush?

Why spend on Mo this year? He's not due to be a FA until next year, and we still control his rights for 2-3 more years? If at the at the end of FA you have a ton of money left you can apply it towards next year, when doing a deal for MO is necessary. Heaven forbid he gets injured this year AFTER you give him the big deal.... what's the rush?

Actually there is no rush.  Your right they control Mo 2-3 more years if they want to play hard ball.  The idea of him getting hurt is viable, but might be worth the risk to move money into the future, while keeping an All Pro type player happy.  And to have money still available in the future when hopefully they are in a position where one or two more high priced players might put them over the top.

I doubt the Jets will be heavily involved in the first wave of FA where the big money is spent.  They are gong to have 10-12 draft picks.  Suspect they will take care of there own, Folk, Howard, perhaps some money on Pace for a larger one year deal.

See what the draft offers then fill the holes with mid level FA on short contracts.

If they do spend any serious money on FA's I agree with Jay, it will be on young guys with their future in front of them.  JMO 

I don't think Mo is going anywhere....if he does, it's to the Giants which would freaking blow....Mo is so tied into Linden that if he could take a hometown discount (within reason) I would think he'd do it.

Hometown discount, one of the MOST overused worthless phrases in sports.

Spend. ******* spend. Money is not worth what it was and will be worth even less next year and the year after.

I'm not saying spend to the cap, but the cap is probably going up by another 7 mil. next year and an additional 10 mil. on top of that by the next. You have to try to improve your football team. Half measures are not always the way to do it. They don't give trophies for most frugal shopper. Put the coupon clipping mentality away. What looks like an iffy contract now will look like a pretty good one by next year or at least the year after.

Spend. ******* spend. Money is not worth what it was and will be worth even less next year and the year after.

I'm not saying spend to the cap, but the cap is probably going up by another 7 mil. next year and an additional 10 mil. on top of that by the next. You have to try to improve your football team. Half measures are not always the way to do it. They don't give trophies -besides the Lombardi - for most frugal shopper. Put the coupon clipping mentality away. What looks like an iffy contract now will look like a pretty good one by next year or at least the year after.

Fixed for you

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Seahawks&Year=2013

They don't have to spend all the money. They have to spend 89% over, I believe it is a 4 year period.

First place I'd start is with Mo Wilks. I might give some high money to aging players in the form of a 1 year contract, that can be escaped next year if they are over the hill, and restore the cap room. Maybe one or two intermediate players to fill holes.

Yes they do have to spend it this year. They have to spend 89% of the cap every year. This year that will be over 35 mil

We have the room to get decker, orakpo re sign Austin, pay folk and still add some middle of the road(depth). Then sign all draft pics

I just hate how so many posters keep saying we should not spend $$. We have to.

Funny how well that worked before the Broncos signed Peyton Manning for 96 million dollars. Seahawks had two awesome years before getting Wilson for third round money.

So then drafting value is better than breaking the bank in free agency is what you're saying. I am happy we are in agreement.

So then drafting value is better than breaking the bank in free agency is what you're saying. I am happy we are in agreement.

What I'm saying is that there is such a thing as paying a player, whether a free agent or your own and getting your money's worth, especially when the value of that dollar is changing compounded by the fact that your roster is very bad and you are paying for very very bad and therefore have cap money.

Where were you when the Broncos drafted Manning, by the way? I think everyone should remember where they were on that day.

And by the way, the Broncos and Seahawks had two of the highest payrolls in football last year at 133.5 and 132.6. Only the Chiefs were higher at 134.8

What I'm saying is that there is such a thing as paying a player, whether a free agent or your own and getting your money's worth, especially when the value of that dollar is changing compounded by the fact that your roster is very bad and you are paying for very very bad and therefore have cap money.

Where were you when the Broncos drafted Manning, by the way? I think everyone should remember where they were on that day.

I had to spend 10 minutes on the Internet because I didn't think it was possible that anyone thought the Broncos drafted Peyton Manning. I had to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. 

Orakpo is a 1 year rental at 2 million dollars. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/brian-orakpo/

If that's all he is to us, that works for me. He'll be back on the market though in 2015 because we don't need to pay him the long term deal right now with all the talent we have, and can draft. 

If you want to pay up in free agency, you need to find offense, where we are severely lacking. Hakeem Nicks is my vote.

I had to spend 10 minutes on the Internet because I didn't think it was possible that anyone thought the Broncos drafted Peyton Manning. I had to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. 

Orakpo is a 1 year rental at 2 million dollars. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/brian-orakpo/

If that's all he is to us, that works for me. He'll be back on the market though in 2015 because we don't need to pay him the long term deal right now with all the talent we have, and can draft. 

If you want to pay up in free agency, you need to find offense, where we are severely lacking. Hakeem Nicks is my vote.

You seemed to ignore the Peyton Manning part of my response which was half.

I don't see why you can't do both, is my point. You can spend on a player that is worth it, one that may command a high salary AND draft well.

Look at the Seahawks. Zach ******* Miller's cap number is 11 mil. I think they should take the Lombardi Frugality Award (i.e. the Super Bowl) for that alone. Thank God their franchise QB's number is 650k.

Matt Flynn was a good sign, too. Thank God they found the Raiders. (maybe they won the Lombardi Unload Your Horrible Mistakes on the Raiders award)

You seemed to ignore the Peyton Manning part of my response which was half.

I don't see why you can't do both, is my point. You can spend on a player that is worth it, one that may command a high salary AND draft well.

Look at the Seahawks. Zach ******* Miller's cap number is 11 mil. I think they should take the Lombardi Frugality Award (i.e. the Super Bowl) for that alone. Thank God their franchise QB's number is 650k.

Matt Flynn was a good sign, too. Thank God they found the Raiders. (maybe they won the Lombardi Unload Your Horrible Mistakes on the Raiders award)

You said Denver drafted Peyton Manning, buddy.

You said Denver drafted Peyton Manning, buddy.

Right. That's exactly what I said and exactly what I meant.  Had nothing to do with the previous post in which you ignored the fact that I mentioned Wilson and Manning and you just plowed right through with your own argument in favor of "drafting well" (what an original concept, by the way)

And when I say it's exactly what I said and exactly what I meant. I actually mean not at all. You'll catch on to this, I promise. It's tricky at first.

Ah the usual Gastineau edit, king of the impulsive, pointless statement. Anyway, your argument makes zero sense. The irony and sarcasm you are trying to employ have zero affect in whatever you're trying to say. You can't exactly back out of a statement so ignorant and clueless as "the Broncos drafted Peyton Manning." 

With that said, I'm sure all of us are willing to continue engaging you in light discourse, we are all here for fun anyway.

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx31t.htm

Psychotherapy is not the treatment of choice for someone with schizophrenia. Used as an adjunct to a good medication plan, however, psychotherapy can help maintain the individual on their medication, learn needed social skills, and support the person's weekly goals and activities in their community. This may include advice, reassurance, education, modeling, limit setting, and reality testing with the therapist. Encouragement in setting small goals and reaching them can often be helpful.

Ah the usual Gastineau edit, king of the impulsive, pointless statement. Anyway, your argument makes zero sense. The irony and sarcasm you are trying to employ have zero affect in whatever you're trying to say. You can't exactly back out of a statement so ignorant and clueless as "the Broncos drafted Peyton Manning." 

With that said, I'm sure all of us are willing to continue engaging you in light discourse, we are all here for fun anyway.

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx31t.htm

Psychotherapy is not the treatment of choice for someone with schizophrenia. Used as an adjunct to a good medication plan, however, psychotherapy can help maintain the individual on their medication, learn needed social skills, and support the person's weekly goals and activities in their community. This may include advice, reassurance, education, modeling, limit setting, and reality testing with the therapist. Encouragement in setting small goals and reaching them can often be helpful.

If you believe that I honestly thought that the Broncos drafted Peyton Manning, then you are a ******* idiot, plain and simple. A complete ******* idiot.

You're just trying to piss me off because the rest of your argument has no merit, so you focus on this. You ****.

If you believe that I honestly thought that the Broncos drafted Peyton Manning, then you are a ******* idiot, plain and simple. A complete ******* idiot.

You're just trying to piss me off because the rest of your argument has no merit, so you focus on this. You ****.

I'm not trying to get you pissed off. You clearly are off the handle with life and need to chill the **** out dude.

Back on topic Orakpo is going to demand way too much money.

Something in the $10M-12M range.  But for a player of his caliber the team needs to really consider it.  I'm sure we're high on a guy like Jason Worlids, who finally broke out of his shell and delivered one good season.  At $6-7M he warrants consideration as well.

But Brian f@cking Orakpo is a pro-bowler.  He was the #13 overall pick, and hasn't disappointed, even when transitioning to his stand up role.  The money is there to be spent.  We could afford an Orakpo, a high end CB (Shields, Verner), a middling WR (Sanders, Jones, Nicks) and a cost effective safety (Pollard). 

Something in the $10M-12M range.  But for a player of his caliber the team needs to really consider it.  I'm sure we're high on a guy like Jason Worlids, who finally broke out of his shell and delivered one good season.  At $6-7M he warrants consideration as well.

But Brian f@cking Orakpo is a pro-bowler.  He was the #13 overall pick, and hasn't disappointed, even when transitioning to his stand up role.  The money is there to be spent.  We could afford an Orakpo, a high end CB (Shields, Verner), a middling WR (Sanders, Jones, Nicks) and a cost effective safety (Pollard). 

The reason I'd rather pay a Byrd, than say an Orakpo, is because our DL is so solid with what we have now, the draft will very possibly net us an edge rusher like Barr anyway, and we have an atrocious crop of safeties, really since Rex dropped Kerry Rhodes.

Yes they do have to spend it this year. They have to spend 89% of the cap every year. 

Wrong

They have to spend 89% of the cap over a 4 year period.  No qualifications for a single year

According to the CBA's Article 12, Section 9:

A) For each of the following four-League Year periods, 201 3-201 6 and 2017-2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of theSalary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013-1 6 and 2017-2020 are$100, 120, 1 30, and 1 50 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million)).

The reason I'd rather pay a Byrd, than say an Orakpo, is because our DL is so solid with what we have now, the draft will very possibly net us an edge rusher like Barr anyway, and we have an atrocious crop of safeties, really since Rex dropped Kerry Rhodes.

I hear you.  The draft has several interesting OLB prospects, but free agency has MANY safeties that could excel in our defense.  

I like Byrd because he seems to be in the right place at the right time, and he produces turn-overs.  That cannot be discredited. 

Orakpo is nice, because of his credentials.  Having his outside rush in combination with our inside-push would make even the most pedestrian secondary look incredible.  The other option I tossed out there is Jason Worlids, who at $4-6M dollars/year cheaper could possible match the production of Orakpo.  I haven't seen enough of him to endorse his signing.  

The truth is, we need an upgrade at S, OLB, and one CB position to be healed on defense.  Overpaying for any one of them can be justified, but better pay off in the tail-end or we will be hamstrung for seasons to come. 

Archived