Should The Jets Go After Byrd?

New York Mick

The Jets are in need of a safety and Byrd is the best available.

Simple question is he worth the price he'll want. I'm guessing around 10 mill a season or should they go after another safety?

Safeties

1. Jairus Byrd

2. T.J. Ward

3. Donte Whitner

4. Antoine Bethea

5. Chris Clemons

6. Louis Delmas

7. Malcolm Jenkins

8. Stevie Brown

9. Michael Mitchell

10. Nate Allen

11. Major Wright

12. Charles Woodson

13. Steve Gregory

14. Nick Collins

15. Ryan Clark

16. James Ihedigbo

17. Bernard Pollard

18. Usama Young

19. Kendrick Lewis

20. Mike Adams

21. Chris Crocker

22. Yeremiah Bell

23. Quintin Mikell

24. Roman Harper

25. Kerry Rhodes

26. Michael Huff

27. Brandon Meriweather

28. Ryan Mundy

29. Taylor Mays

30. Ed Reed

31. Jim Leonhard

32. Husain Abdullah

33. Darrell Stuckey

34. Sergio Brown

35. Darian Stewart

36. Craig Steltz

37. Chris Maragos

38. Quintin Demps

39. Matt Giordano

40. Reed Doughty

I copied and pasted the FA list from the other thread that was locked. Not sure where greenseed got it.

Obviously, they wont be shelling out much money for WR's as none of the quality high priced wide-outs want to come here, so for me it comes down to a choice:

Orakpo

or

Byrd

Given this choice, I would lean to Orakpo, as quality LB, edge rushers are few and far between but that long list of Safeties is deep and talented so no need to spend for the highest priced one. Get a middle of the road salary wise Safety, and then spend the big bucks on Orakpo.

I guess this thread is the new one to post in since the other Byrd thread is on faba "LOCKDOWN"

To that end I offer this..... I would love to get Byrd under contract.

Woody would be making a statement to the fans that the Jets are going for it.

An Intimidating "D" like Seattle's would get Met Life Rockin'

45 years.... Having a great "D" will help, as the offense "SLOWLY" catches up to the "D"

Obviously, they wont be shelling out much money for WR's as none of the quality high priced wide-outs want to come here, so for me it comes down to a choice:

Orakpo

or

Byrd

Given this choice, I would lean to Orakpo, as quality LB, edge rushers are few and far between but that long list of Safeties is deep and talented so no need to spend for the highest priced one. Get a middle of the road salary wise Safety, and then spend the big bucks on Orakpo.

Yeah, I'd go for that! But, if Orakpo goes elsewhere, I go Byrd.

And remember ALL Defensive players want to play for Rex.

Orakpo

or

Byrd

Is there enough space to sign both? :)

Here's the mental exercise.  We need to upgrade three positions on our defense: OLB, S, and CB. 

(supposing we add a middling WR (Sanders, Nicks, Jones) and QB (McCown, Vick, other) to the tune of $9-10M combined) 

Which is the best way to allocate our remaining resources to improve the defense?

Scenario 1: - We take Brian Orakpo (the #1 rated OLB).  He would cost an upwards of $10M per.  

- We take an upper-tier CB

-We take a second-tier S

positives/negatives: The free agent safety class is deep, Rex's defense doesn't require a super-stud playing safety (or does it?) and the pressure we could get from a viable outside pass rush in conjunction with the inside-push we already have, would benefit the secondary.  A Safety like Donte Whitner or Bernard Pollard are flirting with disaster, as they play a physical brand of football that produces more penalties than turnovers, but something can be said about having an intimidating presence cover the middle of the field. This scenario favors sacks, and ball-jarring hits from the safety position. 

Scenario 2: -We take Jairus Byrd (the #1 rated S).  He would cost an upwards of $12M per.

- We attempt to sign Jason Worlids, and hope Barnes makes a healthy return

-We take a second-tier CB 

positives/negatives: We haven't had a member of our secondary produce turnovers (consistently) in a while.  The leaders on roster last year each had 3 interceptions, and while getting to the passer is nice, getting the ball back is nicer.  Having a ball-hawk in the secondary is something team's covet, as, an artificial pass-rush is something that can be manufactured, but a player that can make plays on the ball cannot; they either do or don't. Orakpo is a nice, big name.  He's a probowler that completely justified his being the #13 overall selection and his 10 sacks last year show that even in an odd front, he is capable of producing pressure. However, tackling a QB doesn't get the offense back on the field, if anything it forces a 3rd and long, which tests our ability to defend the long ball; not our strongest suit last year.  In this scenario, the top of our defense is taken care of, and turnovers are valued more than pressure. 

Scenario 3: -We sign a high-caliber cover corner (Alturrean Verner). He probably pushes for $7M+

- We attempt to sign Jason Worlids (reportedly seeking $6-7M) and hope Barnes makes a healthy return

-We take a second-tier S

positives/negatives:  We all know the value of Rex allowing his CBs to play on an island. Supposing Milliner realizes his draft position, over spending on a CB (not named Cromartie) could benefit both the D-line, and the deep secondary.  Sam Shields is another interesting prospect, as I believe he lead the league in passes deflected, and could be had for similar numbers.  In this scenario we miss out on both Orakpo AND Byrd, but we're able to moderately upgrade all three positions.  Focusing on the secondary first, gives the DL more time to get home, and allows for the cheap(ish) signing of a thumper at safety more understandable. This scenario puts our outside defenders at a premium, allows Rex to invent a pass rush, and helps hide the deficiencies of our deep secondary.   

Why would Byrd get 12+ million when the top safety doesn't even make 10 million? Or do I have that wrong? 

I dunno.  He wants to be the highest paid safety.  We wouldn't be the only team vying for his services, I figure it would take big money to bring him here.  

Pure speculation. 

Here's the mental exercise.  We need to upgrade three positions on our defense: OLB, S, and CB. 

(supposing we add a middling WR (Sanders, Nicks, Jones) and QB (McCown, Vick, other) to the tune of $9-10M combined) 

Which is the best way to allocate our remaining resources to improve the defense?

Scenario 1: - We take Brian Orakpo (the #1 rated OLB).  He would cost an upwards of $10M per.  

-We take a second-tier S

positives/negatives: The free agent safety class is deep, Rex's defense doesn't require a super-stud playing safety (or does it?) and the pressure we could get from a viable outside pass rush in conjunction with the inside-push we already have, would benefit the secondary.  A Safety like Donte Whitner or Bernard Pollard are flirting with disaster, as they play a physical brand of football that produces more penalties than turnovers, but something can be said about having an intimidating presence cover the middle of the field. This scenario favors sacks, and ball-jarring hits from the safety position. 

Scenario 2: -We take Jairus Byrd (the #1 rated S).  He would cost an upwards of $12M per.

positives/negatives: We haven't had a member of our secondary produce turnovers (consistently) in a while.  The leaders on roster last year each had 3 interceptions, and while getting to the passer is nice, getting the ball back is nicer.  Having a ball-hawk in the secondary is something team's covet, as, an artificial pass-rush is something that can be manufactured, but a player that can make plays on the ball cannot; they either do or don't. Orakpo is a nice, big name.  He's a probowler that completely justified his being the #13 overall selection and his 10 sacks last year show that even in an odd front, he is capable of producing pressure. However, tackling a QB doesn't get the offense back on the field, if anything it forces a 3rd and long, which tests our ability to defend the long ball; not our strongest suit last year.  In this scenario, the top of our defense is taken care of, and turnovers are valued more than pressure. 

Scenario 3: -We sign a high-caliber cover corner (Alturrean Verner). He probably pushes for $7M+

- We attempt to sign Jason Worlids (reportedly seeking $6-7M) and hope Barnes makes a healthy return

-We take a second-tier S

positives/negatives:  We all know the value of Rex allowing his CBs to play on an island. Supposing Milliner realizes his draft position, over spending on a CB (not named Cromartie) could benefit both the D-line, and the deep secondary.  Sam Shields is another interesting prospect, as I believe he lead the league in passes deflected, and could be had for similar numbers.  In this scenario we miss out on both Orakpo AND Byrd, but we're able to moderately upgrade all three positions.  Focusing on the secondary first, gives the DL more time to get home, and allows for the cheap(ish) signing of a thumper at safety more understandable. This scenario puts our outside defenders at a premium, allows Rex to invent a pass rush, and helps hide the deficiencies of our deep secondary.   

I'd go with 2, but at the same time where we sit right now that's over half of our cap space... I'd absolutely love to have Byrd, but I just don't see Idzik outspending other teams just to secure him.

Calvin Pace at age 33 last year produced more sacks than he has in any other single season in his career--10. He had 8 once, that was years back.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pace and I wouldn't mind seeing him back. But that was mostly caused by our defensive line freeing him up. If you can upgrade that OLB position with a true pass rusher like Orakpo then how many sacks and how much pressure would he generate with Wilkerson, Harrison and Richardson taking up blockers? Orakpo had 10 sacks last year and Washington's defensive line isn't as good as ours. How many would he have had if he was playing where Calvin Pace was last year... 15? 20? It's scary to think about.

Byrd is a play making ballhawk, but another mevis potentially waiting to happen. apparently he turned down a deal from buffalo that would pay him upwards of $30 million in the first three years. thats a lot of coin to turn your nose up at and force buffalos hand into tagging him again. Orakpo is a PED suspension waiting to happen. i would sign TJ Ward and Jason Worlids if possible both young, solid guys.

orakpo is an injury waiting to happen as well. worilds has half as many sacks as orakpo so far in their respective careers which began 5 yrs ago for orakpo and 4 for worilds but i dont think worilds started until last year.

-We take a second-tier S

-We take a second-tier S

Is there room for a fourth option, where we draft Anthony Barr, Sign Byrd, Hakeem Nicks, Austin Howard, and our draft picks, all for under $45 million?

-We take a second-tier S

-We take a second-tier S

Scenario 4-Sign Byrd, Woirlds, E Sanders, and bring back Cromartie on the cheap, resign Hunter, and Colon. Draft BAP with our first 4 picks throwing need to the wind because outside of QB we would have adressed just about every need in FA like Idzik stated his plan would be.

Is there room for a fourth option, where we draft Anthony Barr, Sign Byrd, Hakeem Nicks, Austin Howard, and our draft picks, all for under $45 million?

Scenario 4-Sign Byrd, Woirlds, E Sanders, and bring back Cromartie on the cheap, resign Hunter, and Colon. Draft BAP with our first 4 picks throwing need to the wind because outside of QB we would have adressed just about every need in FA like Idzik stated his plan would be.

So, Scenario 2. 

So, Scenario 2. 

Hey don't get me wrong you had a great write up but I don't see how it's exactly scenario two? The monetary difference between a 2014 first rounder and a top tier free agent are going to have a decent cost differential. In the scope of a greater plan of signing Byrd, the draft, Howard, and a WR of Nicks caliber, it may be tough but maybe it could work as well.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-steelers-free-agency/2014/3/2/5462312/steelers-salary-cap-roster-moves-transactions-2014-jason-worilds-contract

Call it a hunch, but we think Worilds will want to start his negotiation based on the contract Paul Kruger signed with the Browns last season. He got a 5-year, $40.5 million deal with $20 million in guarantees - a $6 million signing bonus, $6.285 million first-year roster bonus, and his first two base salaries.

His first year cap number was $8.2 million, meaning, the Steelers couldn't afford it in our scenario. Being that Worilds has played for a second-round contract for the last four years, he's likely to want a big payday up front - i.e. a large signing bonus. Kruger's deal gave him a low salary in 2013 but with a large roster bonus, all with the prorated piece of his signing bonus, so his cap number stays at $8.2 million over the first three years of his deal, but his dead money charge drops to $3.6 million in 2015.

The Steelers don't have the boatload of cap space the Browns do, so paying that huge roster bonus in Year 1 of a deal wouldn't work. But the Steelers could give a large signing bonus up front with a low salary in 2014, an increase in salary in 2015, when the cap is expected to rise again, along with a much higher salary in 2016 when the cap is expected to top $150 million.

It also shows Worilds if they aren't committed to him starting in 2014, he's clearly a guy who's a part of their future. In other words, they really can't get past LaMarr Woodleyright now, but it's a decision they can make with far less penalty in 2015.

So we're offering Worilds a 4-year, $30 million deal with $18 guaranteed - $14.5 million signing bonus, salaries in his first two years guaranteed. That gives him a cap number of $4,325,000.

The main question here is whether he'll take that deal. It's pretty much a guarantee he'll get a larger offer than that in free agency.

no DB is worth over 8 mill

only pass rushers are worth that

No athlete in the history of mankind is worth 8 million dollars a year or a life time for that matter but it is what it is.

If Byrd is that good and could help the D that much he's worth 8 mill.

I'm on the fence still

Given a choice between Byrd and Orakpo, I go Byrd. I think Byrd is a better player than Orakpo is, and could help tighten things up in the secondary which is really where the Jets' defense was weak last year. Plus the Jets are better off with Pace starting again at OLB than they would be starting both Landry and Allen at safety. Re-sign Pace to a vet min type deal and draft someone to develop behind him and take over as the year goes on. Anywhere from Anthony Barr if he's the clear BPA at 18 to Trent Murphy somewhere on day 2 or early day 3 if he's a clear BPA to taking a shot on a guy like Aaron Lynch.

Then they can cut/re-sign Cromartie, re-sign one or two of the Walls/Lankster/Trufant group, draft a corner somewhere in the mid-rounds, draft an ILB somewhere in the mid-rounds to try and groom to take over for Harris after this season. Re-sign Douzable since he was solid in his role last year.

Big upgrade at safety, improved youth/depth/athleticism at linebacker, no worrying about the OLB's being unable to set the edge early in the season and teams busting big runs like the year Bryan Thomas got hurt and the run defense went in the crapper, and hopefully some improvements at corner with Milliner having a year under his belt, Cromartie healthy, and depth with the added corner who's hopefully better than whatever sub package guys they don't re-sign there. Plus ideally they're set up nicely for next season as well with hopefully the two linebackers and potentially the corner stepping into starting roles if Cro really is on the decline. And if not then address that in 2015 FA when the cap goes up again or the 2015 draft. Kind of a hold the fort (minus the Byrd signing) and build for the future offseason - which is fine because it's not like the defense is the issue. Not too much cap space or too many draft picks used there.

Then use the rest of the cap space/draft picks on the offense, which is where it's really needed.

Rather have the corner.  So would Rex.

Agreed. Give me Verner or Davis and our current safety play would be more than adequate.  Byrd and Allen won't be able to make up for another season of the caliber of play that Cromartie put forth last year. Considering he graded out as one of the worst CBs in all of football, I would expect we won't have to suffer through anything that bad again.

If it's the difference between paying a 25 year old Verner/Davis $10 million per compared to paying Byrd $8+ million per, I'm going with the CB pretty much every time, unless it's prime Ed Reed or Polamalu. 

The Jets are in need of a safety and Byrd is the best available.

Simple question is he worth the price he'll want. I'm guessing around 10 mill a season or should they go after another safety?

Safeties

1. Jairus Byrd

2. T.J. Ward

3. Donte Whitner

4. Antoine Bethea

5. Chris Clemons

6. Louis Delmas

7. Malcolm Jenkins

8. Stevie Brown

9. Michael Mitchell

10. Nate Allen

11. Major Wright

12. Charles Woodson

13. Steve Gregory

14. Nick Collins

15. Ryan Clark

16. James Ihedigbo

17. Bernard Pollard

18. Usama Young

19. Kendrick Lewis

20. Mike Adams

21. Chris Crocker

22. Yeremiah Bell

23. Quintin Mikell

24. Roman Harper

25. Kerry Rhodes

26. Michael Huff

27. Brandon Meriweather

28. Ryan Mundy

29. Taylor Mays

30. Ed Reed

31. Jim Leonhard

32. Husain Abdullah

33. Darrell Stuckey

34. Sergio Brown

35. Darian Stewart

36. Craig Steltz

37. Chris Maragos

38. Quintin Demps

39. Matt Giordano

40. Reed Doughty

I copied and pasted the FA list from the other thread that was locked. Not sure where greenseed got it.

My question to everyone is if the Jets are going to spend 30-50 million this offseason how many FA's are you comfortable with at any position that you think will most likely live up to the hype? Nicks, Sanders, Britt? Not me, I can't think of a player in this FA class that is more than likely going to earn his contract regardless of the size (isn't my money WTF do I care) than Jarius Byrd, so to me it's a no brainer!

Agreed. Give me Verner or Davis and our current safety play would be more than adequate.  Byrd and Allen won't be able to make up for another season of the caliber of play that Cromartie put forth last year. Considering he graded out as one of the worst CBs in all of football, I would expect we won't have to suffer through anything that bad again.

If it's the difference between paying a 25 year old Verner/Davis $10 million per compared to paying Byrd $8+ million per, I'm going with the CB pretty much every time, unless it's prime Ed Reed or Polamalu. 

It's even worse - some of these posts have Verner at $6-7M and Byrd at $10-12M and they still want Byrd!

Archived