survivor mafia

CTM

any interest in me running a "mafia" like game based on survivor mechanics.

every man for himself, someone is voted off every other day, in thread would be used for alliance building but I'd allow people to communicate privately in qt or pm, once down to the final 2... everyone who was voted off chooses between the final 2

in thread I was thinking we could do immunity challenges, but I'm not exactly sure how to orchestrate them yet..

was thinking it *could* be interesting how people manipulate each another.. but it could also flop

thoughts? I'd need to figure out immunity mechanics that are fair though

I didn't play the hunger games .. can someone fill me in?

Brett started the game and gave everyone free reign to start however many QT's they wanted.  Then people would post in the game thread who they were voting for.  Once voted out, the "dead thread" was like a tribute center.  People voted during night phases to give a bow (vig shot), armor (BPV) or something else I think...can't remember to be honest.  You had a bunch of double and triple crossing, effected who got whatever items at night...was good stuff.

I'm pretty sure someone got mad at me for double crossing them while they were plotting in another QT to double cross me and Sharrow (Christine maybe?).  It was a pretty big game...you had to always look 2 moves ahead to try and figure out the route to win, that's how we got Sharrow the win.

If we could work a way to do an immunity thing like the show, that'd be great.  Would add more than just the making deals factor in to the game.  I suppose it would be possible to start with 2 or 3 teams like they do too...not sure.  I haven't seen it in a long time but the basic gist of it is the same I'm sure.

One of mine, too. :biggrin:

I was close to winning...then I got killed...LOL 

I loved looking through the QT's at the end.  Our two groups had that alliance (me, you, Sharrow, Christine, 80, maybe BG?) and as soon as we formed it both started planning when to double cross the other LOL

Brett started the game and gave everyone free reign to start however many QT's they wanted.  Then people would post in the game thread who they were voting for.  Once voted out, the "dead thread" was like a tribute center.  People voted during night phases to give a bow (vig shot), armor (BPV) or something else I think...can't remember to be honest.  You had a bunch of double and triple crossing, effected who got whatever items at night...was good stuff.

I'm pretty sure someone got mad at me for double crossing them while they were plotting in another QT to double cross me and Sharrow (Christine maybe?).  It was a pretty big game...you had to always look 2 moves ahead to try and figure out the route to win, that's how we got Sharrow the win.

If we could work a way to do an immunity thing like the show, that'd be great.  Would add more than just the making deals factor in to the game.  I suppose it would be possible to start with 2 or 3 teams like they do too...not sure.  I haven't seen it in a long time but the basic gist of it is the same I'm sure.

that game sounds interesting..

meh...  Hunger Games was not particularly fun.  I pm'd exactly 0 people and the people PMing me were transparently just trying to double cross me.  Lets face it..  No one is going to let me win a solo game.  I'll play just because but expect to die in a day or 2. 

meh...  Hunger Games was not particularly fun.  I pm'd exactly 0 people and the people PMing me were transparently just trying to double cross me.  Lets face it..  No one is going to let me win a solo game.  I'll play just because but expect to die in a day or 2. 

I made it to the final 2 and no one likes me.  Quit whining.

I made it to the final 2 and no one likes me.  Quit whining.

Not whining..  I said I'd play..  It's just lame because I'm basically waiting to get lynched.

I never said no one likes me..  I'm beloved.  I just said no one is letting me win.

Not whining..  I said I'd play..  It's just lame because I'm basically waiting to get lynched.

I never said no one likes me..  I'm beloved.  I just said no one is letting me win.

That's why there would be great value in having an "immunity challenge" of some sort.  People could want you out every day and it wouldn't matter if you won every time.

That's why there would be great value in having an "immunity challenge" of some sort.  People could want you out every day and it wouldn't matter if you won every time.

true but many of the "giveaways" we've had in the past are whoever either googles or PM's the fastest..  I'm not going to win many of those.

What might be interesting is if the contests for immunity are pre-determined by the mod and outlined in the dead thread before it begins...  no one in the game thread will know what the challenge is.. they just have to win it. 

once immunity is won the mod could either proclaim who's won that day or keep it a secret and if we lynch that player it just goes to night..  I don't know..  just thinking out loud.

true but many of the "giveaways" we've had in the past are whoever either googles or PM's the fastest..  I'm not going to win many of those.

What might be interesting is if the contests for immunity are pre-determined by the mod and outlined in the dead thread before it begins...  no one in the game thread will know what the challenge is.. they just have to win it. 

once immunity is won the mod could either proclaim who's won that day or keep it a secret and if we lynch that player it just goes to night..  I don't know..  just thinking out loud.

elaborate how that would work.. i still can't figure it out and am open to suggestions

LOL

Holy fagola Batman!

elaborate how that would work.. i still can't figure it out and am open to suggestions

I literally thought of it as I was typing the post..  something along the lines of you thinking of an appropriate challenge and posting it in the dead thread before the challenge begins.. that way it's time stamped and everyone will be able to see it was on the up and up.

If you don't announce in the game thread what the challenge is, everyone will have an equal chance of winning.  The PM me first jazz isn't very fair..  if a person isn't busy that day they can just keep a screen open and refresh every 5 minutes...

The problem is coming up with a challenge that fits the game and isn't goofy..  I don't know what that might be..  If the game was based on a popular movie I'm sure you can come up with something.

It would admittedly be tough to come up with 5-10 challenges depending on how many people play and how many kills there are...

I don't know..  it would take a lot of ingenuity to make an everyone for themselves game where all but a couple people think they have a chance of winning.

you can hand out prizes like a "misdirector"...  If the misdirector is lynched on the day he is the misdirector, he/she can shift the lynch to a player of their choosing etc.

there's a ton of things you can do but it would be a ton of work and you'd open yourself up to whining.. 

I think a more conventional game with a lot of twists is more fun, personally...  Nothing like a cult game to rile up the locals.

LOL

Holy fagola Batman!

hate to break it to you but you'd stand less of a chance than I did.

where is this supposd whinning btw?  I said I'd play but I'd be killed quickly.. 

a) that's true

b ) I wouldn't try very hard because I know I don't stand a chance

I literally thought of it as I was typing the post..  something along the lines of you thinking of an appropriate challenge and posting it in the dead thread before the challenge begins.. that way it's time stamped and everyone will be able to see it was on the up and up.

If you don't announce in the game thread what the challenge is, everyone will have an equal chance of winning.  The PM me first jazz isn't very fair..  if a person isn't busy that day they can just keep a screen open and refresh every 5 minutes...

The problem is coming up with a challenge that fits the game and isn't goofy..  I don't know what that might be..  If the game was based on a popular movie I'm sure you can come up with something.

It would admittedly be tough to come up with 5-10 challenges depending on how many people play and how many kills there are...

I don't know..  it would take a lot of ingenuity to make an everyone for themselves game where all but a couple people think they have a chance of winning.

you can hand out prizes like a "misdirector"...  If the misdirector is lynched on the day he is the misdirector, he/she can shift the lynch to a player of their choosing etc.

there's a ton of things you can do but it would be a ton of work and you'd open yourself up to whining.. 

I think a more conventional game with a lot of twists is more fun, personally...  Nothing like a cult game to rile up the locals.

yes true, i've been trying to think of new mechanics just for the novelty

Incorporate crazy roles, whacky objectives, and twists and turns into a normal game. 

That's what Ive done and I've become the greatest mod this site has ever known.

did i play that game? why was it so bad?

think Jaws IV level bad..

confusing, misguided and unfullfilling.

there were multiple teams chasing a flag and no one knew where the flag was blah blah blah....  In the middle of day 1 JiF blew a gasket and was trying to call the game off..  epic levels of humiliation.

hate to break it to you but you'd stand less of a chance than I did.

where is this supposd whinning btw?  I said I'd play but I'd be killed quickly.. 

a) that's true

b ) I wouldn't try very hard because I know I don't stand a chance

Oh, relax.

He asked personal questions for whatever his mechanic was...I'm trying to forget. 

oh sh-t that's right!!

He had challenged similar to the ones I described above but they were all JiF centric..  sh-t like "what is my favorite tanning lotion", "who is the first guy I banged" etc..  It was catastrophically bad.

My personal opinion is that mechanics don't need to be over-thought. I put more effort into aligning roles and mechanics to the story I've chosen to adapt, which I think is what makes moderating a creative endeavor. 

Pac does the same with his games. 

I'd love to actually play in a game you moderate, because I've begun talking to my moderator throughout my games. It would actually be fun to discuss how I'm flipping back and forth between left and right brain mafia.... rather than just argue constantly, you old bitch.

He asked personal questions for whatever his mechanic was...I'm trying to forget. 

oh sh-t that's right!!

He had challenged similar to the ones I described above but they were all JiF centric..  sh-t like "what is my favorite tanning lotion", "who is the first guy I banged" etc..  It was catastrophically bad.

ahhahaa... that is awesome.. how did i miss it

Archived