A hypothetical process involving a trade to process Sammy Watkins

Lego My Lageman

Since Miami traded up last year to get Dion Jordan with a 1&3 (i think), cant we do the same thing for Mr Watkins. Im doubtful that the Wizard of Id will do it but what do you think? Im all for getting the best playmaker in the draft. Ive read Atlanta could be looking to trade back, but who knows.

Probably depends how far he slips or if a team is desparate to trade down like Oakland was last year. They took Hayden at 12 and supposedly would have at 3 if they were unable to move down. If all it takes is a 3 I'd be all for it though.

Probably depends how far he slips or if a team is desparate to trade down like Oakland was last year. They took Hayden at 12 and supposedly would have at 3 if they were unable to move down. If all it takes is a 3 I'd be all for it though.

Pretty much. Let the board dictate their actions.  Trading up into the top 6 will probably take too much, but if he starts to slide out of the top 10, I think using a third isn't unreasonable, assuming they're that high on him.  He's not my favorite receiver, but I'm not a scout by any means, so if the FO thinks he's above and beyond the best receiver in the class, I don't think a third should stand in their way.

Rex's son attends Clemson.  I'm sure that might have had something to do with his wanting to attend the pro-day.  

Also, their #2 Martavis Bryant is a mid-rounder who could be what we thought we were getting with Stephen Hill.

Rex's son attends Clemson. I'm sure that might have had something to do with his wanting to attend the pro-day.

Also, their #2 Martavis Bryant is a mid-rounder who could be what we thought we were getting with Stephen Hill.

There's that guard/tackle too, Brandon Thomas. Seems like the kind of versatile lineman they might want to bring in if the value is right.

Rex's son attends Clemson. I'm sure that might have had something to do with his wanting to attend the pro-day.

good point. Fwiw I think Bryant led the ACC in ypc.

I can't imagine Idzik going for it before Round Five, no matter how much Rex and his idiot scion bang the table for him.

With the obvious Boyd connection and all the Jimmy G love I'd guess they go in a totally different direction and look to the Murray/Smith/Fales group. Still want to watch more Brett Smith, listened to a podcast a couple nights ago where a couple of the guys were absolutely raving about him.

Watkins is more of a sure thing but IMO Lee can be just as good and you possibly don't have to give up picks to get him.

Even though I love Watkins, this scenario helps the team more.  I am not of the opinion that Geno sucks because of lack of receiving options, and do not believe getting Watkins will instantly transform him into a capable QB.  Geno sucks simply because he sucks and will continue to do so no matter who he is trying to throw the ball to.

With the obvious Boyd connection and all the Jimmy G love I'd guess they go in a totally different direction and look to the Murray/Smith/Fales group. Still want to watch more Brett Smith, listened to a podcast a couple nights ago where a couple of the guys were absolutely raving about him.

I agree Murray and Smith will be the best mid late round options. Want no part of Fales.

Ryan Riddle (think he played for the Jets for five minutes) thinks he might be the best QB in this class. Got the Combine snub, though. I think Idzik is definitely pulling a QB out of the first three rounds, personally. Tea leaves and whatnot.

Rex's son attends Clemson.  I'm sure that might have had something to do with his wanting to attend the pro-day.  

Or he could be Stephen Hill all over again, a 2nd round WR who is labeled a bust before his 23rd birthday (younger than Kelvin Benjamin)!

Ryan Riddle (think he played for the Jets for five minutes) thinks he might be the best QB in this class. Got the Combine snub, though. I think Idzik is definitely pulling a QB out of the first three rounds, personally. Tea leaves and whatnot.

Yup that's the guy I was referencing. Think Sigmund Bloom was the other one who was a fan too. They were saying the combine snub might have been because he declared late/unexpectedly and nobody had time to watch him, but who knows.

I watched a bit of him, really quick release and seemed to elevate his team a bit. Definitely mean to catch some more. As for the first three rounds, I think it's more of a 3-5 thing but we'll see. Depends a lot where guys start to fall and where the value ends up being - where the fifth QB is drafted will probably be telling - and what they're able to accomplish in FA.

Yup that's the guy I was referencing. Think Sigmund Bloom was the other one who was a fan too. They were saying the combine snub might have been because he declared late/unexpectedly and nobody had time to watch him, but who knows.

I watched a bit of him, really quick release and seemed to elevate his team a bit. Definitely mean to catch some more. As for the first three rounds, I think it's more of a 3-5 thing but we'll see. Depends a lot where guys start to fall and where the value ends up being - where the fifth QB is drafted will probably be telling - and what they're able to accomplish in FA.

Agreed. If McCarron goes in Rd 2 (as I keep seeing since the Combine), I think that will set off a feeding frenzy and push everyone up.

Or he could be Stephen Hill all over again, a 2nd round WR who is labeled a bust before his 23rd birthday (younger than Kelvin Benjamin)!

Could be.  But Hill came from a run-first offense where his best year saw 28 rec. 

His college totals for three years was: 49 rec, 1,248 yards, 9 TDs

Martavis Bryant, playing the obvious second fiddle role to Sammy Watkins had a 2013 stat-line: 42 rec, 828 yards, 7 TDs. 

Same physical specimen, but more experience at the college level. 

Since Miami traded up last year to get Dion Jordan with a 1&3 (i think), cant we do the same thing for Mr Watkins. Im doubtful that the Wizard of Id will do it but what do you think? Im all for getting the best playmaker in the draft. Ive read Atlanta could be looking to trade back, but who knows.

Last year's draft was perceived to be a lot weaker than this year's. I would expect trading up will be more expensive as a result. The QBs will drive the market.

Last year's draft was perceived to be a lot weaker than this year's. I would expect trading up will be more expensive as a result. The QBs will drive the market.

Very true, I would be willing to part with anymore than a 3. If he were to drop further then a fourth. Lee and Evans are solid as well, well get one of them I assume, but I could also see us going after an olineman.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN  1h
Jets GM John Idzik and Rex Ryan are at the local Hooters today. They're obviously cheating on their wives. Maybe. #Mehta'd

Move on up from Dave and Busters

I don't like McCarron and I didn't like what I saw of Brett Smith - I think it was a highlight reel T0m posted.  His arm just did not impress me, but that doesn't mean much.  Ryan Riddle was a ST/pass rush LB that was here for a cup of coffee.  Think Cody Spencer/Matt Chatham if you go back that far.  Where did you guys hear his analysis?

I can't imagine Idzik going for it before Round Five, no matter how much Rex and his idiot scion bang the table for him.

Hey, Boyd in the 5th is not that bad.  He's got some talent, but needs plenty of work. 

If they want Watkins they need to trade up and get him he is the best WR in the draft. The Lions want him also at 10.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Lions are showing a "ton" of interest in Clemson WR Sammy Watkins.

Rapsheet punctuated his report by putting "TON" in all caps. The Lions have an embarrassing lack of receiver talent behind Calvin Johnson, but Watkins is unlikely to fall to No. 10. That means Detroit would have to trade up to land the draft's top receiver, and that would be unwise for a team with needs all over.

Archived