Jets Possible Landing Spot for TE Carlson? (MERGED)

BroadwayJoe12

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the Jets and Packers are interested in free agent John Carlson, in addition to the Cardinals.
The New York Daily News recently opined that Carlson could be a fit for Gang Green. He'd also make sense for the Packers, who aren't expected to re-sign Jermichael Finley. Carlson visited the Cardinals on Thursday.
Related: Cardinals, Packers, Jets

The New York Daily News suggests free agent TE John Carlson as a fit with the Jets.
The Jets depth chart at tight end currently reads Zach Sudfeld, Konrad Reuland, Chris Pantale, Colin Anderson. Carlson has a connection as GM John Idzik was in Seattle when the Seahawks drafted him 38th overall in 2008. Entering his age-30 season with serious concussion concerns, Carlson won't be expensive. Mar 6 - 12:29 PM

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not really the type of blocker you'd like to see, but showed significant promise his first couple of years in Seattle.  Could be just the writers spinning their wheels on the obvious and popular connection of Idzik to everybody linked to Seattle, but it wouldn't be the worst signing.  

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo · 46m

Jets, Packers among the teams interested in former Vikings TE John Carlson, who is visiting the Cardinals today.

Buzz: Jets interested in RFA WR Hawkins?

March 6th, 2014 11:19 am

Per TheJetsBlog’s Jake Steinberg, the Jets may have interest in another free agent receiver:

Bent, TheJetsBlog.com

Hawkins is a 27-year old converted cornerback and stands just 5-7 and 175. However, he ran a 4.34 at Toledo’s pro day in 2008 and is excellent in the open field. The Jets were rumored to have serious interest in Tavon Austin in last year’s draft and Hawkins is the same kind of player.

Last year he caught just 15 passes for 217 yards (including three catches in the Bengals’ postseason game), but that’s because he missed the first half of the season with an ankle injury. When he returned, he played just 124 snaps with the Bengals already deep and playing well at wideout so he was actually pretty productive when called upon. In the previous season, he had a breakout year with over 50 catches and four touchdowns.

Hawkins is also an excellent contributor on special teams, where he excels as a gunner. Adding him to the roster would prevent teams from triple-teaming Ellis Lankster, which was actually happening in a few late season games. Hawkins also has the skill-set to return kicks and although he has never done so in an NFL game, he has practiced with the return units while in Cincinnati and has kick and punt return experience both in college and in his two years in Canada.

The Cincinnati Enquirer did state recently that the team “isn’t expected to let him get away”. However, the fact they only placed an original round tender on him surprised some people. For a Bengals team that already has AJ Green, Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones all on rookie deals, they will have to weigh up whether matching an offer sheet for Hawkins is wise. They do currently have almost $30m in cap room and would have five days to match if the Jets did sign Hawkins to an offer sheet.

From what we hear, this won’t be the only receiver the Jets intend to target this offseason. Manish Mehta of the Daily News seems adamant that they will target Emmanuel Sanders, although I’m not sure that a top three of Sanders, Kerley and Hawkins makes sense because they need some size.

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/buzz-jets-interested-in-rfa-wr-hawkins/

Jinx, you owe me a soda!! Identical 5:45 post time

With the way the off-season has been, at least there's now twice the chance that one of them doesn't devolve into conversations about sh*tty beer or some bastardized take on Francis Galtonian philosophy. All things equal, I'd still take a beer over a soda. F*ck and there it is, only three posts and it's turned to beer. DAMN YOU JOEWILLIE78!!

Geno had tons of success throwing to smurfs Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey. What this shows is the level of receiver that the Jets have a shot with. When you ugly, you don't sweat Kate Upton. #JiF

Austin I'll give you, but Bailey was 5'10" 193, that's like half the NFL receivers nowadays.  If they're looking to go that route of size and speed, it wouldn't be surprising to see Sanders, Tate get big looks in FA and then Cooks, Beckham and Lee during the draft.  I think the skillset of the guys that Geno has had success with also fits well into the type of system MM runs, as shown up in Philly recently. 

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the Jets and Packers are interested in free agent John Carlson, in addition to the Cardinals.
The New York Daily News recently opined that Carlson could be a fit for Gang Green. He'd also make sense for the Packers, who aren't expected to re-sign Jermichael Finley. Carlson visited the Cardinals on Thursday.
Related: Cardinals, Packers, Jets

The New York Daily News suggests free agent TE John Carlson as a fit with the Jets.
The Jets depth chart at tight end currently reads Zach Sudfeld, Konrad Reuland, Chris Pantale, Colin Anderson. Carlson has a connection as GM John Idzik was in Seattle when the Seahawks drafted him 38th overall in 2008. Entering his age-30 season with serious concussion concerns, Carlson won't be expensive. Mar 6 - 12:29 PM

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not really the type of blocker you'd like to see, but showed significant promise his first couple of years in Seattle.  Could be just the writers spinning their wheels on the obvious and popular connection of Idzik to everybody linked to Seattle, but it wouldn't be the worst signing.  

That Daily News football page is an abomination.  One full page.  They have Jets needs and Giants needs.  The Giants need a WR to replace Nicks.  The Jets a TE to replace Cumberland/Winslow.  Then they put thumbnails up and some are duplicates.  Same info paraphrased on the same page.  Lame.

With the way the off-season has been, at least there's now twice the chance that one of them doesn't devolve into conversations about sh*tty beer or some bastardized take on Francis Galtonian philosophy. All things equal, I'd still take a beer over a soda. F*ck and there it is, only three posts and it's turned to beer. DAMN YOU JOEWILLIE78!!

It's been 22 years since my last drink. Life's gotten a LOT better since then. I'm cool with watching you drink one while I pound a Dr. Pepper.

Geno had tons of success throwing to smurfs Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey. What this shows is the level of receiver that the Jets have a shot with. When you ugly, you don't sweat Kate Upton. #JiF

LOL

You have a point though. Go after shifty, speedy guys who rack up YAC. Makes you wonder if they might try to bring in Julian Edelman as well.

It's been 22 years since my last drink. Life's gotten a LOT better since then. I'm cool with watching you drink one while I pound a Dr. Pepper.

Good for you man.  I know those things are a daily struggle, glad to see you've gotten the better of it.  I'm not much of a soda guy, usually just drink water, but I can make an exception the once.

That Daily News football page is an abomination.  One full page.  They have Jets needs and Giants needs.  The Giants need a WR to replace Nicks.  The Jets a TE to replace Cumberland/Winslow.  Then they put thumbnails up and some are duplicates.  Same info paraphrased on the same page.  Lame.

Yea, it's pretty brutal. I honestly don't expect to know anything until one of these players sets foot on the facility, other than that, it's just the beat writers connecting the Seattle dots to Idzik.

Sanders-Cooks/Beckham (or both maybe possibly)-Kerley-Nelson-Saunders

I'm in your head. Your doomed.

Austin I'll give you, but Bailey was 5'10" 193, that's like half the NFL receivers nowadays. If they're looking to go that route of size and speed, it wouldn't be surprising to see Sanders, Tate get big looks in FA and then Cooks, Beckham and Lee during the draft. I think the skillset of the guys that Geno has had success with also fits well into the type of system MM runs, as shown up in Philly recently.

Ah, I was responding specifically to this:

Daily News seems adamant that they will target Emmanuel Sanders, although I’m not sure that a top three of Sanders, Kerley and Hawkins makes sense because they need some size.

LOL

You have a point though. Go after shifty, speedy guys who rack up YAC. Makes you wonder if they might try to bring in Julian Edelman as well.

I think Edelman is such a complementary player, though. Unless Idzik scores a big-time WR1 and TE, Edelman will disappear here.

I think Edelman is such a complementary player, though. Unless Idzik scores a big-time WR1 and TE, Edelman will disappear here.

He's no Welker, but he did a pretty good job with little around him this season. Tom Brady throwing to you kind of helps though.

Now I feel bad calling you "Booze", Sorry.

Call me "Boozer" then. That's one of the reasons I took Emerson's name.

Liked the way he ran the football, got a SB Title, and helps me remember where I was at 20 some years ago.

Meet friends at the bar all the time.... It's not a part of my life anymore.

22 years? Wow I thought I had a lot of time ......20 years 3 months.  I 'll take a Coca-Cola...the real thing!

image019.jpg

22 years? Wow I thought I had a lot of time ......20 years 3 months.  I 'll take a Coca-Cola...the real thing!

image019.jpg

Congrats, Ozzie.

Nice to know that not every Jet fan is driven to drink :winking0001:

Call me "Boozer" then. That's one of the reasons I took Emerson's name.

Liked the way he ran the football, got a SB Title, and helps me remember where I was at 20 some years ago.

Meet friends at the bar all the time.... It's not a part of my life anymore.

Interesting. When I grew up in HUNTINGTON LI, I used to walk to school and walked right by EMERSON BOOZERS house everyday. Every now and then we would see him out doing yard work (yeah he did that), or getting the newspaper, and he would always call us over, and talk to us, or sometimes gave us soda, or ice cream etc. Great , great, classy guy.

You picked a great guy, and a classy guy. I'll use Boozer from now on.

Would be interesting, at least for some competition at the position.  Although I would hope for more than just him.  He had quite the rookie year and some seemed to think he was going to be one of the next big players at TE after that, but it's pretty much been all down hill from there.

He has potential. He was being compared to Keller in their rookie years. Good hands and very average blocking abilities. I think he'll be a very cheap pickup and serve as good depth if we don't pick up a solid blocking TE via FA or draft.

Yea, it's pretty brutal. I honestly don't expect to know anything until one of these players sets foot on the facility, other than that, it's just the beat writers connecting the Seattle dots to Idzik.

A player "could be a fit" is headlined "are interested".   He visited the Cards.  That is interest.  I know the authors don't generally write their own headlines, but c'mon.  

A player "could be a fit" is headlined "are interested".   He visited the Cards.  That is interest.  I know the authors don't generally write their own headlines, but c'mon.  

It's just lazy, but I understand most of these guys are just trying to sell papers or whatever it is that they sell.  Until someone signs with us, I'm not buying any of the rumors, especially from Mehta.  

image019.jpg

Hey good luck to both of you in your soberity!  God Bless!

Archived