Can Jared Allen take Pace's place?

eboozer

Is he strictly a hand in the dirt guy? He loves Dunbar!

http://thejetpress.com/2014/03/06/potential-new-york-jets-free-agent-de-jared-allen/

Potential New York Jets’ Free Agent: DE Jared Allen

By Alan Schechter - Mar 6th, 2014 at 6:00 pm

The defensive line is not the biggest area of need for the New York Jets. There are holes that are actually far bigger, and we know what they are. But, in an off-season where money is essentially no object, take this ride with me. The ride being the potential signing of Jared Allen.

As always, we start with the player’s career stats:

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Sk Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FRYds TD Tkl Ast Sfty AV

2004 22 Kansas City Chiefs” href=”

2005 23 KAN RDE 69 16 15 11.0 0 0 0 0 5 6 0 2 0 0 50 7 8

2006 24 KAN RDE 69 16 16 7.5 1 3 0 3 10 5 1 6 24 0 66 11 11

2007*+ 25 KAN RDE 69 14 14 15.5 0 0 0 0 10 3 0 0 0 0 55 9 16

2008*+ 26 Minnesota Vikings” href=”

2009*+ 27 MIN RDE 69 16 16 14.5 1 -4 0 -4 4 5 0 3 54 1 43 8 1 16

2010 28 MIN RDE 69 16 16 11.0 2 40 1 36 6 1 0 1 0 0 45 15 10

2011*+ 29 MIN DE 69 16 16 22.0 1 14 0 14 4 4 0 4 6 0 46 17 1 14

2012* 30 MIN RDE/rde 69 16 16 12.0 0 0 0 0 3 1 0 1 0 0 36 10 10

2013 31 MIN RDE/rde/RE/re 69 16 16 11.5 0 0 0 0 6 2 0 0 0 0 33 19 6

Career 157 151 128.5 5 53 1 36 51 30 1 17 84 1 443 111 4 112

6 yrs MIN 96 96 85.5 4 50 1 36 26 16 0 9 60 1 244 82 4 73

4 yrs KAN 61 55 43.0 1 3 0 3 25 14 1 8 24 0 199 29 39

Jared Allen was, and is a dominant force in this league. I don’t think this is even remotely in dispute.

He is in his thirties, however. Bringing in a big money free agent, in his thirties, would defeat the purpose of getting younger, at least on its face. But in this case, an exception could be made.

With Damon Harrison, Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and Leger Douzable along the defensive line, you have the youth in common for all of these players. What you don’t have, is the stabilizing influence that could come from a veteran. Look at his numbers. Allen could provide just that kind of influence that allows all of those guys to take the next step.

The rumor is that Allen would be most interested in playing for a contender, like the Patriots or Broncos. Those teams, however, don’t have Jared’s former line coach on their team. The current players love playing for coach Karl Dunbar. The fact that he is here could play a part in making Allen look elsewhere instead of solely at the teams very close to the Super Bowl.

It wouldn’t be the first time that a player was sold on the concept of playing for his former coach. With all of the free cap money the Jets are going to have, they have to at least explore the possibility of Jared Allen, don’t they?

The defensive line is not the biggest area of need for the New York Jets. There are holes that are actually far bigger,

How is the defensive line a "hole" in any sense at all? Richardson, Harrison, Wilkerson is an elite group of 3 up front. You have Ellis off the bench, he's a good player to be coming off the bench. Coples can also play along the line when called upon. They have other guys besides that, too, I'm not sure how many of them are free agents but even if they all are, there's still no hole on the defensive line.

They didn't lack for leadership in that unit last year, and now they're all an extra year in.

I'm not making any judgements on Allen, just saying they don't have a weakness on that d-line.

High Motor, non-stop player who never quits on a play. Man, how Dunbar can use him to teach the young guys a few tricks!!

Like you said.... another DL. But man it's exciting to think what Rex could dial up adding this guy!

How is the defensive line a "hole" in any sense at all? Richardson, Harrison, Wilkerson is an elite group of 3 up front. You have Ellis off the bench, he's a good player to be coming off the bench. Coples can also play along the line when called upon. They have other guys besides that, too, I'm not sure how many of them are free agents but even if they all are, there's still no hole on the defensive line.

They didn't lack for leadership in that unit last year, and now they're all an extra year in.

I'm not making any judgements on Allen, just saying they don't have a weakness on that d-line.

Picky picky.  Semantics.  he was just saying there are real "holes" to fill that this pickup doesn't address.  Then you went all Mary on us and the use of the word "hole"  which, by the way, is one of my favorite words after "bourbon" and "hot and sour soup" which is delicious.  Though, technically, four words.

High Motor, non-stop player who never quits on a play. Man, how Dunbar can use him to teach the young guys a few tricks!!

Like you said.... another DL. But man it's exciting to think what Rex could dial up adding this guy!

"It wouldn't be the first time a player was sold on the concept of playing for his former coach". Didn't I bring up this EXACT issue in the Vick/Marty Mornhinweg argument, and you scoffed at it, saying VICK was "bye-bye" and here it is again.

Want to re-think your opinion on Vick and the Vikings?

"It wouldn't be the first time a player was sold on the concept of playing for his former coach". Didn't I bring up this EXACT issue in the Vick/Marty Mornhinweg argument, and you scoffed at it, saying VICK was "bye-bye" and here it is again.

Want to re-think your opinion on Vick and the Vikings?

What we were discussing was whether with all $ being equal between Jets and Vikings, who would Vick rather play for and with?

Vikings with Adrian Peterson, Cordarelle  and a starting gig.....................

OR

Jets with Ivory, Kerley & Stephen Hill and Marty?

Also count in a merciless fan base(see dog killer signs in the stadium already)

I would bet on Minn.

Listen, I hope Cassel stays in Minn. so Vick comes here.

I know it's not a popular thing here on the board, but I think he can help us more than everyone not named McCown.

I also believe in 2nd chances

What we were discussing was whether with all $ being equal between Jets and Vikings, who would Vick rather play for and with?

Vikings with Adrian Peterson, Cordarelle  and a starting gig.....................

OR

Jets with Ivory, Kerley & Stephen Hill and Marty?

Also count in a merciless fan base(see dog killer signs in the stadium already)

I would bet on Minn.

I know it's not a popular thing here on the board, but I think he can help us more than everyone not named McCown.

I also believe in 2nd chances

Did you see the NYPOST today? SERBY absolutely said Vick was the wrong move for the Jets, and is pushing hard for McCown. He also mentioned the Jets trading up for Manziel.

I actually like Serby a bit (Klecko probably hates him, as he hates all media), but I disagree with him on this. He brings up the "circus" as why the Jets should stay away.

Did you see the NYPOST today? SERBY absolutely said Vick was the wrong move for the Jets, and is pushing hard for McCown. He also mentioned the Jets trading up for Manziel.

I actually like Serby a bit (Klecko probably hates him, as he hates all media), but I disagree with him on this. He brings up the "circus" as why the Jets should stay away.

Didn't see it, but I'll take a look.

Did I call this or What?

Matt Cassel re-ups with the Vikings for two more years

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 7, 2014, 8:13 PM EST

Britain Steelers Vikings FootballAP

With Chad Henne breaking the seal on the backup-quarterbacks-for-teams-that-need-starters market today, it’s fair game for the rest of them.

Thus, the Vikings have held onto Matt Cassel, as Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reports Cassel has agreed to a new two-year deal.

The process was doubtless helped along by new coach Mike Zimmer’s realization that he needed some degree of stability, and as bizarre as it might seem, Cassel presented just that.

As with Henne in Jacksonville, the key will be what the Vikings do to fill the spot above Cassel on the depth chart.

If Zimmer is intent on hanging onto the Christian Ponder experiment (or wants to start Cassel), the move isn’t a very good one in a vacuum.

But in the presence of the right starter, Cassel has proven a solid piece to have around. Like Henne with the Jaguars, the Vikings played their best football last year with Cassel under center.

Keeping him from getting there too often will determine how much progress they’re going to make.

Archived