Official Jets' '14 Free Agency Thread

BroadwayJoe12

Although the 2014 Free Agency period doesn't officially start until 4pm on Tuesday the 11th, when all contracts are voided, teams are permitted to contact and enter into negotiations with the certified agents of players who are going to be UFAs (and only UFAs) starting at 12noon on Saturday the 8th.  Teams cannot talk directly to players or schedule travel arrangements, but a lot of information gets released this coming weekend.  

Figured it would be good to have one page that we could maintain for rumors, visits and signings.  I'll do my best to update the original post so as ya'll do not need to scroll throughout how many pages to search. Mods or whomever can edit this, definitely update it if I'm late to doing so. Cheers. 

Official Free Agents Signed:

-Ellis Lankster: 2-year, $1.63 million contract, w/$155k roster bonus.8

-Darrin Walls: 2-year, $1.9 million contract w/$350k roster bonus.7

-Jeff Cumberland: 3-year, $3.7 million contract w/$1 million guaranteed.1

-Nick Folk. 4-year, $12 million contract w/$2.1 million guaranteed2

-Leger Douzable: 1-year, $1 million contract w/$750k base and $150k signing bonus.5
-Breno Giacomini: 4-year, $18 million contract w/ $7 million guaranteed. 6
-Eric Decker: 5-year, $36.25 million contract w/ $15 million guaranteed.3
-Calvin Pace: 2-year, $5 million contract.9

-Willie Colon: 1-year, $2 million contract.10

1Jets re-signed TE Jeff Cumberland to a three-year, $3.7 million contract, including $1 million guaranteed.

The money is right. Cumberland played in a timeshare with Kellen Winslow last season, but the Jets believe he's still developing and are reportedly confident in his ability to take the "next step." With Winslow gone, Cumberland will have a chance to be an every-down player. Per the NY Daily News, the Jets could still look to pair Cumberland with another tight end and have had internal discussions about free agents Brandon Pettigrew, Ed Dickson, and Scott Chandler. Cumberland, 27 in May, finished the 2013 season with a 26-398-4 receiving line. Despite the Jets' optimism, we've seen little on Cumberland's game tape that suggests he'll ever grow into a serious fantasy asset. He's a TE2/3. Mar 7 - 8:26 PM
2Jets signed franchise player K Nick Folk to a multi-year contract extension.
According to ESPN New York, the deal is a four-year contract worth $12 million. He did not receive a signing bonus, but rather, a $2.1 million roster bonus -- the only guaranteed money in the deal.That roster bonus will count against the Jets' salary cap in 2014, when Folk's cap figure will be $3.6 million. His cap figures for the remaining three years of the contract are scheduled to be $2.65 million, $2.75 million and $3 million. Folk will turn 30 years old in November.
3Jets signed WR Eric Decker to a five-year, $36.25 million contract with $15 million guaranteed.
Decker, 27, set career highs in catches (87) and receiving yards (1,288 yards) with Denver last season, scoring 11 touchdowns. He caught a lot of heat during the free-agent period after experiencing a colder-than-expected market, but is a much-needed addition to the Jets' otherwise barren receiver corps. Decker is a physical, largely sure-handed wideout who moves the chains and can beat defensive backs deep. Unfortunately, he's downgrading quarterbacks in spectacular fashion going from Peyton Manning to Geno Smith, and will be the focus of defensive attention in New York after serving as Manning's No. 3 or 4 option. He'd do well to get back near 1,000 yards with the Jets. Decker will be a borderline WR3 in fantasy this season.
4The New York Daily News reports the Jets have expressed interest in free agent QB Shaun Hill.
Hill hasn't started a game since 2010, but would provide the Jets with a veteran backup to push Geno Smith in training camp. With Matt Cassel re-signed, Hill is Rotoworld's No. 4 free agent quarterback.
5Jets re-signed DT Leger Douzable to a one-year contract.
Douzable missed all of 2012 with a shoulder injury, but returned to appear in all 16 games for the Jets last season as a reserve defensive tackle. Douzable played 242 snaps, logging 20 tackles and 1.5 sacks. He's primarily a run stopper. Mar 12 - 7:23 PM 3/12/2014: Signed a one-year, $1 million contract. The deal included a $150,000 signing bonus. 2014: $750,000 (+ $100,000 roster bonus)
6Jets signed RT Breno Giacomini, formerly of the Seahawks.
A very limited talent, 28-year-old Giacomini has forged a career as a starter with sheer determination and physicality. He's a brawling blocker, and will take the place of Austin Howard in New York. We wouldn't call it a big downgrade, but it's certainly not an upgrade, either. The Seahawks essentially made no attempt to retain Giacomini. He's a rather uninspiring addition for Gang Green. Mar 12 - 8:53 PM
7Jets re-signed restricted free agent CB Darrin Walls to a two-year, $1.9 million contract.
Walls appeared in all 16 games last season, starting three at cornerback while rookie Dee Milliner was benched. In total, he played 292 defensive snaps and batted away four passes. Walls likely is coming back at the fourth-year veteran's minimum. We doubt he was tendered at the $1 million-plus level as an RFA. Mar 5 - 7:28 PM
8Jets re-signed CB Ellis Lankster to a two-year, $1.63 million contract.
Lankster is a productive special teamer for the Jets. He racked up 13 tackles on kick and punt coverage and played just 30 defensive snaps in 2013. Mar 5 - 7:25 PM
9Jets re-signed OLB Calvin Pace to a two-year, $5 million contract.
Pace revived his career during a quiet 10-sack 2013 campaign, adding 53 tackles and two forced fumbles. He hasn't missed a start in New York since 2010. Pace remains a worthwhile contributor, but is going on age 34. The Jets need to begin targeting a true franchise pass rusher to book end Quinton Coples. After signing Eric Decker, perhaps they'll pursue one in the draft's first round. Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports Mar 16 - 3:56 PM
10Jets re-signed RG Willie Colon to a one-year, $2 million contract.
Colon started all 16 games at right guard last season, grading out as a top-four pass-blocking guard at Pro Football Focus. However, he did struggle as a run blocker, took 12 penalties, and tore his biceps in Week 17. The soon-to-be 31-year-old will bring some much-needed continuity. He'll be ready for Week 1.
Mar 19 - 1:15 PM

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Jets are going the hipster FA route at safety and getting someone under the radar then I like Malcolm Jenkins from the Saints. OTOH, they should definitely sign one of the two big name DBs in Byrd or Verner. Vontae Davis would/could/should also work at CB but the other two are better.

I lean towards just paying Decker, but wouldn't mind going cheaper there and paying someone like Anthony Collins for the OL kicking Howard inside. Howard to G is another thread altogether...

AKA: the free agency thread.

My targets, in order of lust:

1. Alterraun Verner

2. Geoff Schwartz

3. Louis Delmas

4. Jared Veldheer

5. TJ Ward

6. Garrett Graham

If they are going to spend, spending on the defense would seem like the way to go.

Can we have an Alturrean Verner discussion in here, or should I create it's own thread?  

I don't think he's the player we all have him made out to be.  I'll try to find the article, but it shows he is best suited for off-man coverage, playing bail technique.  

For his price-tag we can find a better suited DB for our defense.  We need press guys.   Sam Shields, Vontae Davis and Brandon Browner come to mind

Can we have an Alturrean Verner discussion in here, or should I create it's own thread?  

I don't think he's the player we all have him made out to be.  I'll try to find the article, but it shows he is best suited for off-man coverage, playing bail technique.  

For his price-tag we can find a better suited DB for our defense.  We need press guys.   Sam Shields, Vontae Davis and Brandon Browner come to mind

How about Cro at a much lower number?

Save the footnotes for your Grantland column, BJ.

In a way, I can sort of relate to Bill Simmons.  I'm verbose and write at length, without actually saying anything of substance, my prose is stilited and pedestrian, I'm subtly racist and I'm sure Magic Johnson hates me too.  Rather fitting.  But I can footnote the sh*t out of an article.

In a way, I can sort of relate to Bill Simmons. I'm verbose and write at length, without actually saying anything of substance, my prose is stilited and pedestrian, I'm subtly racist and I'm sure Magic Johnson hates me too. Rather fitting. But I can footnote the sh*t out of an article.

See, now I feel bad. Comparing someone to Simmons is basically the worst insult I can level against anyone.

I like the depth at the skill positions in the draft. I'd rather use the cash to fill S or OLB or G versus WR, RB or QB.

Ohhhhh. I thought you were being sarcastic. Yes. I don't think any receiver with other options is coming here anyway.

The Jets need to upgrade the line, wr, s, cb, And te As long as we can upgrade those positions between free agency and the draft we should be set to compete.

You can probably get a starter at every one of those positions from the draft alone, just using our 5 picks in the 1st 4 rounds. When you factor in all the cap room we have and our 5th-7th round picks, we're well set for next year.

I really do feel bad about the Grantland crack. I could make a list of a dozen goons on this site who richly deserve that kind of insult, and BroadwayJoe wouldn't be within a mile of it.

It was warranted, the superscripts are douchey.  They just somewhat alleviate my crippling need for structure. 

step-brothers-hug-o.gif

Archived