Official Jets' '14 Free Agency Thread

BroadwayJoe12

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless they value money more than receptions. I can't really think of any WR that matches that description though.

Nicks. Apparently his people sent out a doctor's note to teams saying his knee is magically healed and that he's willing to take a one-year deal. Sounds like he's surprised the league isn't lining up to sign a gimpy quitter who publicly embarrassed himself on the field this year. That Seattle game where he let the Seahawks corners jump inside him--with zero resistance--to pick off Eli should be the last game he plays in the NFL.

Aaaaaaand Green Bay gives Sam Shields 4/$39 mil.

Yep, was just gonna reply that to ya.  Guess our $8-9 million per for Davis or Verner just went up a bit. As mentioned before, with the cap escalating roughly $17 million by 2015, a $10 million per year deal might not seem so terrible when guys likes Peterson hit the open market.  Still would have preferred under $9 though. 

Yep, was just gonna reply that to ya. Guess our $8-9 million per for Davis or Verner just went up a bit. As mentioned before, with the cap escalating roughly $17 million by 2015, a $10 million per year deal might not seem so terrible when guys likes Peterson hit the open market. Still would have preferred under $9 though.

The structure is weird, though. Seems like it pays him $21m over two years, then he becomes eminently cuttable(?)

The structure is weird, though. Seems like it pays him $21m over two years, then he becomes eminently cuttable(?)

Yea, I saw that, which I guess is Thompson hedging his bets in case his injury history remains consistent.  I didn't know he was a former WR though, I guess that and him being 26 bodes well for development.  Still, I don't like giving big money to guys who are oft-injured.

Yea, I saw that, which I guess is Thompson hedging his bets in case his injury history remains consistent. I didn't know he was a former WR though, I guess that and him being 26 bodes well for development. Still, I don't like giving big money to guys who are oft-injured.

He's not even that great. I believe that the Packers have a lot of contracts coming up in 2015-16. This Shields deal lets them do that. I hope he knows to rent, not buy.

He's not even that great. I believe that the Packers have a lot of contracts coming up in 2015-16. This Shields deal lets them do that. I hope he knows to rent, not buy.

if he can't set himself up for life with roughly 10 million in cash (after taxes and fees) in 2 years, losing some value in the housing market is the least of his concerns.  that string of car washes and bentleys he bought will be the bigger issue

the most talented corner on the market was always aquib talib. fits what rex wants in a db like a glove. his obvious knocks are his attitude and injury history. do the jets pursue him anyways? I do like the verner kid, but he kinda came out of nowhere and seems to be garnering most of the attention. all indications point to him getting a monster contract for 1 really good season played.

$10m per for Sam Shields is ridiculous.

Ignoring that it's probably not - he's probably cuttable within a few hours after signing anyway. It's the NFL way.

I never prepare myself properly for the onslaught of "zomg overpay" that is the standard fan cry when a new player is signed for anything more than a rookie or vet min salary.

THAT SAID, I wouldn't give Shields that contract because I like at least two other corners more (Verner and Davis).

It would certainly appear as though Howard is angling for a significantly larger contract that Vollmer received. It's a player's market with numerous teams flush with cap and a lot of them in need of OTs.  Dolphins will certainly be one of them. As discussed previously, if Howard is asking for numbers outside his value, I certainly hope Idzik lets him walk.  That having been said, it would create a gaping hole on the right side, something I hope he addresses this FA period.

The Miami Herald expects the Dolphins to "focus" on free agent RT Austin Howard after locking up Branden Albert on Tuesday.
The Albert-to-Dolphins marriage is already considered a done deal. The Fins need more than one offensive lineman, however, and are expected to pursue Howard as well as free agent Zach Strief, who started at right tackle in New Orleans 2011-2013. Strief is a better pass blocker. Howard is a mauling run blocker. Related: Dolphins, Zach Strief

The Miami Herald expects the Dolphins to "focus" on free agent RT Austin Howard after locking up Branden Albert on Tuesday.

The Albert-to-Dolphins marriage is already considered a done deal. The Fins need more than one offensive lineman, however, and are expected to pursue Howard as well as free agent Zach Strief, who started at right tackle in New Orleans 2011-2013. Strief is a better pass blocker. Howard is a mauling run blocker. Related: Dolphins, Zach Strief

lolwut? 

Archived