Official Jets' '14 Free Agency Thread

BroadwayJoe12

Over the years the Jets have had some bad ass kickers Pat Leahy,John Hall,Jay Feely,Mike Nugent and now Nick Folk.

I hated Leahy...choked up any big kick he ever attempted I don't care what his numbers say, he was awful.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33 will be 34 in October. Hope he can do what he did in 2013 for us.

Either way, he is continuity and depth if not a starter. It's always good to have workhorse vets who know the system in the mix. This is a good move retaining Pace. 

The Jets and Saints are reportedly interested in free agent WR Sidney Rice.

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Seahawks would also welcome a return. The Jets are certainly the neediest of the group, even after signing Eric Decker to be their No. 1. Stil, Rice would just be a flier because he's coming off an ACL tear, was among the more injury-prone players in the league even before that and has only had one high-quality season (2009 with Brett Favre's Vikings).

sign this beast DRC!! 

nice review of cap situation from this morning, credit to overthecap.com's Andrew Cohen.

New York Jets

Approximate Current Available Cap Space - $27.8 million

The age-old adage “if you’ve got it flaunt it” (or maybe those are Beyoncé lyrics) doesn’t apply to the current CBA. Due to the new carryover rules, there’s no reason to unnecessarily spend all of your available cap space. Fully aware of these circumstances, John Idzik—the former right-hand man to John Schneider—refuses to make any impulse buys.

The Jets not only received good bang for their buck with the signing of top free agent wide receiver Eric Decker, but Idzik structured the contract in an efficient manner. The dead money associated with the deal decreases from $11 million in 2015 to $4.5 million in 2016, meaning Gang Green will be able to part ways with Decker after two seasons if the signing doesn’t work out. Idzik also got good value on Austin Howard-replacement Breno Giamomini’s contract. With plenty of 2014 cap room left, look for Idzik to continue to look for market-bargains. 

Free agent FS Ryan Clark says he's generating interest from the Ravens and Jets, in addition to the Redskins.

"We’ve got some interest from the Ravens, the Jets," claimed Clark. "We’re actually in negotiations with Washington as we speak. So, we’ll see how it goes." 34 years old, Clark is trying to max out what will quite possibly be his final contract as an NFL player. He still seems likeliest to land in Washington.

Totally should fire idzik before the draft if he's not going to spend all of the cap space that we have available or at least the majority of it i have no idea what he's even doing. We have 50 million in cap space and we cant even outbid the giants who have no money yet are a well run organization screw idzik he should be fired this is ridiculous

Totally should fire idzik before the draft if he's not going to spend all of the cap space that we have available or at least the majority of it i have no idea what he's even doing. We have 50 million in cap space and we cant even outbid the giants who have no money yet are a well run organization screw idzik he should be fired this is ridiculous

Idzik totally gets a bonus for unused cap space. It's the only logical explanation

Agree Fire Idzik

Considering how this FA period has gone so far, a few possible scenarios come to mind:

1 - This is just how Idzik is, extremely conservative, and not willing to spend a dime more than what he thinks a player is worth even if that means letting a hole persist on the team. This would mean that he is dead set on building through the draft and only using the cap space to sign a piece here or there, hopefully planning long term to get our core players under long term contracts.

2 - The Jets had a plan but it got blown out of the water early on and they've been on the ropes ever since. Just before FA began, it was reported that the Jets were pushing hard to sign Vontae Davis; could it be that the Jets based their immediate FA plan on getting that first signing of Davis, and when it didn't pan out they were completely caught off guard? I think this is entirely possible.

3 - The last scenario, which I really really hope isn't true is that Idzik is deliberately sitting on money so the team doesn't improve as much as it can giving him a reason to fire Rex if the Jets don't make the playoffs (having a roster not much better than last year's which was terrible). Once Rex is fired Idizik gets to bring in his own guy and use the money not used this year plus next year's cap space to give his new head coach even more cap space for his first year. Regardless of what you think of Rex, if this is what is happening, we all should seriously consider boycotting home game tickets this season. If our GM is deliberately putting a bad product out on the field to put the coach in a position to be fired then the organizations has no business expecting any fans to buy the tickets if the intention isn't to win.

I hope 3 isn't true; I don't think it is, but I think a combination of 1 and 2 is what has happened, mostly 1.

I believe our GM wants to build through the draft so he better draft well.  We were't really that bad last year (8-8) and we basically swapped Holmes for a guy that actually works hard and doesn't complain.  Cromartie sucked last year so I mean can we do worse?  Our rookies are a year older.  We are at a point where we can go BAP in the draft.  That's good for us.  I'll freak out after the draft, if it's a bad one, but right now I am not getting worried.  It's too early to freak out.

Considering how this FA period has gone so far, a few possible scenarios come to mind:

1 - This is just how Idzik is, extremely conservative, and not willing to spend a dime more than what he thinks a player is worth even if that means letting a hole persist on the team. This would mean that he is dead set on building through the draft and only using the cap space to sign a piece here or there, hopefully planning long term to get our core players under long term contracts.

2 - The Jets had a plan but it got blown out of the water early on and they've been on the ropes ever since. Just before FA began, it was reported that the Jets were pushing hard to sign Vontae Davis; could it be that the Jets based their immediate FA plan on getting that first signing of Davis, and when it didn't pan out they were completely caught off guard? I think this is entirely possible.

3 - The last scenario, which I really really hope isn't true is that Idzik is deliberately sitting on money so the team doesn't improve as much as it can giving him a reason to fire Rex if the Jets don't make the playoffs (having a roster not much better than last year's which was terrible). Once Rex is fired Idizik gets to bring in his own guy and use the money not used this year plus next year's cap space to give his new head coach even more cap space for his first year. Regardless of what you think of Rex, if this is what is happening, we all should seriously consider boycotting home game tickets this season. If our GM is deliberately putting a bad product out on the field to put the coach in a position to be fired then the organizations has no business expecting any fans to buy the tickets if the intention isn't to win.

I hope 3 isn't true; I don't think it is, but I think a combination of 1 and 2 is what has happened, mostly 1.

Interesting point with number 2 but I am going with Number 1.  That looks to be the recipe for success and there is enough evidence for me to believe this is the idea.  He's the anti-tannenbaum.  

Archived