Official Jets' '14 Free Agency Thread

BroadwayJoe12

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard that if you don't spend on veterans, then your draft picks automatically become better than other team's draft picks. True story! So glad Idzik is building through the draft.

Are you one of those of the belief that everyone drafts the same?  That the Seahawks got where they are because of good luck, and the Raiders got where they got because of the "crapshoot" that is the draft?

The New York Daily News reports the Jets "have had discussions" with free agent G/T Willie Colon.

The Jets have holes at both guard spots and right tackle. Colon can play all three positions but would ideally slide back in as a guard. He's our No. 2 available free-agent guard, behind Travelle Wharton. Colon is rehabbing a torn biceps.

The New York Daily News reports the Jets "have had discussions" with free agent G/T Willie Colon.

The Jets have holes at both guard spots and right tackle. Colon can play all three positions but would ideally slide back in as a guard. He's our No. 2 available free-agent guard, behind Travelle Wharton. Colon is rehabbing a torn biceps.

You know your off-season plan is going well when signing Willie Colon off a torn bicep is one of your "key" moves.

Has anyone seen or heard from Rex since free agency started?

We was texting the other day.  He's good.  Family is well.  Been hunkered down planning for 2014.  Son has spring break coming up, thinking about taking him to Jamaica for the week.  Had a root canal and some corn in his sh*t.  He's got Florida vs. Louisville with Florida winning it all.

The same person you're quoting has Colon as the 2nd best available guard.  Why wouldn't this be a key move?

2nd best available guard, coming off a torn biceps. 2nd best available guard only because other good guards have already been snatched up.

I would have liked the move if it was complemented by other higher impact moves. Just retaining your middle of the pack guard is fine, but it isn't something to be proud of.

2nd best available guard, coming off a torn biceps. 2nd best available guard only because other good guards have already been snatched up.

Which ones?  I've seen Colon on the top 5 list of guards available by nearly every publication since free agency began.  Only 2 should we even a little bit bummed about:  Asamoah and Schwartz.

Which ones?  I've seen Colon on the top 5 list of guards available by nearly every publication since free agency began.  Only 2 should we even a little bit bummed about:  Asamoah and Schwartz.

Wasn't a great offseason for guards. Asamoah and Schwartz, for example.

Wasn't a great offseason for guards. Asamoah and Schwartz, for example.

lol, so again, ask yourself why bringing back Colon is not a "key move"?  Colon was no better or worse last year than any of the guards available, his injury concern is the only reason he wasn't scooped up quicker than those 2 guys.

lol, so again, ask yourself why bringing back Colon is not a "key move"?  Colon was no better or worse last year than any of the guards available, his injury concern is the only reason he wasn't scooped up quicker than those 2 guys.

Prefer Schwartz, very reasonable contract, not the dreaded "overpay" you fear so much.

You know you're grasping when you're left with only JoeWilly12 to agree with.

Well it doesn't take a genius or a rocket scientist to figure out we failed this off season in free agency with the exception of signing Decker. We had so many glaring needs we had the money and we failed to address the situations and if free agency ends and this is all we get we are destined for another 8-8 season maybe.

Jets fans deserve so much more if it isn't the draft day let downs its game day let downs off season let downs.

Woody had no problem raising the PSL fee by 3% John Idzik failed as far as im concerned in improving this team.

Well it doesn't take a genius or a rocket scientist to figure out we failed this off season in free agency with the exception of signing Decker. We had so many glaring needs we had the money and we failed to address the situations and if free agency ends and this is all we get we are destined for another 8-8 season maybe.

Jets fans deserve so much more if it isn't the draft day let downs its game day let downs off season let downs.

Woody had no problem raising the PSL fee by 3% John Idzik failed as far as im concerned in improving this team.

The off-season comprises more than the first week of free agency, it also includes the draft, which we have 12 or so selections. I'm surprised how someone who's followed football, and the jets for 40 years doesn't understand how this works. Teams do not win or lose in free agency

The off-season comprises more than the first week of free agency, it also includes the draft, which we have 12 or so selections. I'm surprised how someone who's followed football, and the jets for 40 years doesn't understand how this works. Teams do not win or lose in free agency

In todays NFL you don't win on draft picks alone. Out of the 12 selections how many Gholstons,Hills,DuCasses,McKnights will there be?

In todays NFL you don't win on draft picks alone. Out of the 12 selections how many Gholstons,Hills,DuCasses,McKnights will there be?

For the most part, you win via the draft and making smart moves in free agency, not buy repeatedly signing big-name players. The only way you stay relevant for a decade or more is by finding an elite QB. 

The simple reality of the current state of the team: Our roster is even less talented than it was last season in spite of having millions more to spend. 

We had several chances to sign the top CBs on the market (excluding Revis and Talib who we were not interested in) at reasonable deals, and we failed on all counts. We didn't fail because of some circus image the Jets have, we failed because it seems Idzik is not willing to budge on his offers. But with a team as talent depleted as we are, I don't think we have the luxury to be able to not budge. We have the money to afford to budge a bit on contract negotiations, nothing over the top, but if it means giving DRC an extra million to play a position we have a huge hole at, then why don't we do it!?

I can only imagine the state of this forum if we draft a CB in round 1 as a result of these failed signings; complete chaos.

The simple reality of the current state of the team: Our roster is even less talented than it was last season in spite of having millions more to spend. 

We had several chances to sign the top CBs on the market (excluding Revis and Talib who we were not interested in) at reasonable deals, and we failed on all counts. We didn't fail because of some circus image the Jets have, we failed because it seems Idzik is not willing to budge on his offers. But with a team as talent depleted as we are, I don't think we have the luxury to be able to not budge. We have the money to afford to budge a bit on contract negotiations, nothing over the top, but if it means giving DRC an extra million to play a position we have a huge hole at, then why don't we do it!?

I can only imagine the state of this forum if we draft a CB in round 1 as a result of these failed signings; complete chaos.

Rumors were the Jets were not in on Verner as well and the fact that Davis was never going to leave Indi, it appears the only person that the Jets tried to sign who signed elsewhere was DRC. I also don't consider it losing when someone else outspends you, that's just called being outspent. 

I still don't see how the team is less talented than it was last year, but even so, we still have 12 draft picks to add so this isn't even remotely close to the final 53 you'll see come September.

Rumors were the Jets were not in on Verner as well and the fact that Davis was never going to leave Indi, it appears the only person that the Jets tried to sign who signed elsewhere was DRC. I also don't consider it losing when someone else outspends you, that's just called being outspent. 

I still don't see how the team is less talented than it was last year, but even so, we still have 12 draft picks to add so this isn't even remotely close to the final 53 you'll see come September.

Well as much as people didn't like Holmes, the receivers of Holmes, Hill, Kerley, and Winslow & Cumberland, are arguably better than Decker, Nelson/Hill, Kerley and Cumberland & ???. And then on defense we are essentially the same minus Cromartie, so as of now, the team is worse in my opinion.

It will change with the draft, but if we go into week 1 with Decker as our #1 WR, this is not a good sign. I really do not want to see us draft CB in round 1 who we have to see struggle again and play worse than Cro would, then get 2nd and 3rd round talent at TE and WR leaving Decker in that #1 role to start the season.

Well as much as people didn't like Holmes, the receivers of Holmes, Hill, Kerley, and Winslow & Cumberland, are arguably better than Decker, Nelson/Hill, Kerley and Cumberland & ???. And then on defense we are essentially the same minus Cromartie, so as of now, the team is worse in my opinion.

It will change with the draft, but if we go into week 1 with Decker as our #1 WR, this is not a good sign. I really do not want to see us draft CB in round 1 who we have to see struggle again and play worse than Cro would, then get 2nd and 3rd round talent at TE and WR leaving Decker in that #1 role to start the season.

Fair enough, but I have to disagree.  You're essentially swapping out Holmes for Decker and everyone else stays the same, I'm not sure how that's anything but a win.  Regardless, this team is going to go as far as Geno and his development takes them. If he improves, the team is immediately that much better. 

The best part about this team however, is that they are one of the youngest teams in the league, especially their marquee players. I'm not at all going to be surprised to see Sheldon take the same jump that Mo took from his first to second year and start entering that pro-bowl caliber type of player we all know he can be. 

I could see how the limited moves at this moment are shiny or exciting, but one of Tanny's biggest problems was ignoring the middle and bottom of the roster, something that Idzik doesn't seem to fall trap to. You look at Seattle and San Fran and they have backup players that could start on most teams. That seems to be what Idzik is doing here.

Archived