Official Jets' '14 Free Agency Thread

BroadwayJoe12

Looks like Goodson is fully expect to be on the team next year:

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 12m

The Jets have re-worked Mike Goodson's deal, lowering cap charge from $1.9M to $1.28M. Appears to be a restructuring of $650k roster bonus.

LOL THANK GOD they saved 600k given their cap situation

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL THANK GOD they saved 600k given their cap situation

Apparently he gets the $650k roster bonus if he's on the active roster, inactive, IR or PUP for all 16 games. Hey, no reason to not save money when you can.  As previously mentioned, with the signing of our draft class, Colon's signing and the anticipated signing of a vet receiver, backup QB and maybe another one or two depth acquisitions, we'll be close to maxing out the $26 mill we can carry over towards next year. 

Dennis Agapito ‏@Dennis_Agapito 21m

Jets are looking to swing a trade for Houston Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph, per source #nyj

It's not that terribly unrealistic. There have been rumored trades between the two teams for a while and it just seems to hinge on Mark agreeing to restructure his contract. While I don't think it's likely, it's certainly possible.  If Idzik is able to get anything of relative value out of Mark, he'll deserved to be publicly fellated by half this board. 

Joseph is due $7.5 million this year and $8.5 million the next, so unless Houston really just wants to get rid of him I don't see this happening. But a 2-year deal for $16 million seems like the kinda of deal Idzik wanted as opposed to the 4-5 year contracts.  Don't se it happening, but would love it if it worked out.

I like Joseph. 2 years left on his deal. $7.5M/8.5M.  I like him better than DRC or the Cap'n, but he is pushing 30 and coming off a toe injury that got him IR'ed.  I wonder what kind of pick they are talking about.  He was rumored to be a potential cap casualty.  If it's for a 6th I'm psyched.  I'm not sure how much higher I would go, but he's probably worth a similar pick to Sproles.

It's not that terribly unrealistic. There have been rumored trades between the two teams for a while and it just seems to hinge on Mark agreeing to restructure his contract. While I don't think it's likely, it's certainly possible.  If Idzik is able to get anything of relative value out of Mark, he'll deserved to be publicly fellated by half this board. 

Joseph is due $7.5 million this year and $8.5 million the next, so unless Houston really just wants to get rid of him I don't see this happening. But a 2-year deal for $16 million seems like the kinda of deal Idzik wanted as opposed to the 4-5 year contracts.  Don't se it happening, but would love it if it worked out.

You have heard that such a deal potentially involves a trade/restructure of Mark Sanchez' contract?

You have heard that such a deal potentially involves a trade/restructure of Mark Sanchez' contract?

No, not at all, didn't meant to imply that. Just speculating that if a deal were to be suggested, it most likely hinges on Mark restructuring his deal as no one is taking that albatross on. Since signing that deal back in '11 Joseph has been routinely mentioned as one of the NFL's most overpaid players. However, getting him for two years at $8 million per seems like something Idzik would like. 

No, not at all, didn't meant to imply that. Just speculating that if a deal were to be suggested, it most likely hinges on Mark restructuring his deal as no one is taking that albatross on. Since signing that deal back in '11 Joseph has been routinely mentioned as one of the NFL's most overpaid players. However, getting him for two years at $8 million per seems like something Idzik would like. 

That doesn't make much sense to me unless we get cap relief by trading Sanchez. Couldn't we have gotten DRC for a similar enough contract?

That doesn't make much sense to me unless we get cap relief by trading Sanchez. Couldn't we have gotten DRC for a similar enough contract?

DRC agreed on a 5-year contract with the giants, if we are to believe reports, we wanted him to take a 1-year prove it deal due to his questioned lack of desire to play football. He turned down the 1-year deal for a 5-year deal, why would he change his mind and sign a 2-year one?

Having Joseph play on a two year contract is much closer to a 1-year deal we wanted for DRC than the 4- or 5-year deals DRC, Davis, Talib and Verner seemed to all get.  Not sure why that doesn't make sense.

DRC agreed on a 5-year contract with the giants, if we are to believe reports, we wanted him to take a 1-year prove it deal due to his questioned lack of desire to play football. He turned down the 1-year deal for a 5-year deal, why would he change his mind and sign a 2-year one?

Having Joseph play on a two year contract is much closer to a 1-year deal we wanted for DRC than the 4- or 5-year deals DRC, Davis, Talib and Verner seemed to all get.  Not sure why that doesn't make sense.

Yeah, but what was his guaranteed money?

Decker got 5 years too I believe, but all of the guaranteed money is gone after 2 years.

FWIW, I think Joseph has been rated higher than Vontae Davis. 

Why?  We are cutting Sanchez by next week before his bonus is due.  Even if we didn't this team has more than enough money to take on another $8M in salary.  

Decker got 5 years too I believe, but all of the guaranteed money is gone after 2 years.

DRC had $12 million in fully guaranteed salary including a $10 million signing bonus. If he is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2015 league year he will receive a $1 million roster bonus.  While he becomes much more easily cuttable after the first two years, he'll still count for $6, $4 and $2 million against the cap if he's cut after the second year.  I really don't know how Joseph's contract would work as he had a very sizable prorated signing bonus. 

Regardless, a two year deal for Joseph is closer to the deal Idzik wanted for DRC than the 5-year one he received.

FWIW, I think Joseph has been rated higher than Vontae Davis. 

Why?  We are cutting Sanchez by next week before his bonus is due.  Even if we didn't this team has more than enough money to take on another $8M in salary.  

Why what exactly? Not sure I understand which part you're questioning as I fully agree we could take on Joseph's salary.

edit: Ahh you meant the Sanchez restructure? I meant that it hinges on that, because I'm not sure if Houston would want to take on that deal as it's currently constructed.

I'm pretty sure it was at least as high we'd have to go on Joseph.  It was $10M signing bonus.  I think that there is only $14M guaranteed now, but that by next year more becomes guaranteed so it would be at least $16M for 2. With a trade like this, there is no guarantee.  If we don't like the way he is playing we cut him and no dead money. 

Could, yes. Doubt we're inclined to. Idzik will play chicken and most likely Joseph signs somewhere else when he gets cut.

You will hear my first real complaint if Joseph gets cut and we don't scoop up Joseph. I think that's when I'll make my phone call to Florham Park.

Could, yes. Doubt we're inclined to. Idzik will play chicken and most likely Joseph signs somewhere else when he gets cut.

I wasn't aware that he was on the bubble to get cut, but if that's the case this rumor makes a bit more sense.  A lot of teams are up against the cap right now, so after they sign their rookie classes a lot more players will be cut. To be honest, I haven't really looked at potential candidates to be cut.

FWIW, somebody is also throwing Morris Claibourne's name around. 

Why what exactly? Not sure I understand which part you're questioning as I fully agree we could take on Joseph's salary.

edit: Ahh you meant the Sanchez restructure? I meant that it hinges on that, because I'm not sure if Houston would want to take on that deal as it's currently constructed.

Ah.  I look up there and don't see the edit, so I was responding. I see no reason to expect Sanchez to be involved in any of this, but if we can, sure.  

FWIW, somebody is also throwing Morris Claibourne's name around. 

Ah.  I look up there and don't see the edit, so I was responding. I see no reason to expect Sanchez to be involved in any of this, but if we can, sure.  

I would only surmise a restructure would be agreable to him if he actually wants to go there and give up the ability to sign with any team he wants.  Houston would actually be a very good landing spot for him: good defense, solid offensive weapons, QB guru and only a rookie QB to compete against. Still think Mark ends up getting cut out right, but if Idzik is able to wrangle something out of him, it'd be pretty fantastic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we found our Trufant replacement. 

We have signed free agent cornerback Jeremy Reeves.
Reeves (5'7", 170) was signed shortly after he had a strong showing at Iowa State's pro day on Tuesday with a 4.29-second 40, a 43" vertical leap and an 11'6" broad jump. Reeves played three seasons for Iowa State, from 2010-12. In that span he played in 38 games for the Cyclones with 26 starts. He had 202 totals tackles, five interceptions, and scored three touchdowns —a 91-yard INT return in 2010, a 31-yard INT return in ISU's 2012 AutoZone Liberty Bowl game against Tuas, and a 42-yard onside-kickoff return the game after his INT-return TD in '10. He sat out last season rehabbing following reported pectoral surgery in March 2013.

Looks like we found our Trufant replacement. 

We have signed free agent cornerback Jeremy Reeves.
Reeves (5'7", 170) was signed shortly after he had a strong showing at Iowa State's pro day on Tuesday with a 4.29-second 40, a 43" vertical leap and an 11'6" broad jump. Reeves played three seasons for Iowa State, from 2010-12. In that span he played in 38 games for the Cyclones with 26 starts. He had 202 totals tackles, five interceptions, and scored three touchdowns —a 91-yard INT return in 2010, a 31-yard INT return in ISU's 2012 AutoZone Liberty Bowl game against Tuas, and a 42-yard onside-kickoff return the game after his INT-return TD in '10. He sat out last season rehabbing following reported pectoral surgery in March 2013.

This solves our cornerback problem, right?

#ThanksIdzik

Supposedly ran a 4.29? Damn. He had a 6-7 round grade from some sites last year, but sat out because of his pectoral.  It's like having another compensatory 7th.  Guy could fit in well here.  Like Trufant, our covers are supposed to cover.  Run support is a distant second. I know stoic thinks this is a joke, but this team made the playoffs with rookie Drew Coleman at CB, Pennington at QB and Barlow at RB.

Supposedly ran a 4.29? Damn. He had a 6-7 round grade from some sites last year, but sat out because of his pectoral.  It's like having another compensatory 7th.  Guy could fit in well here.  Like Trufant, our covers are supposed to cover.  Run support is a distant second. I know stoic thinks this is a joke, but this team made the playoffs with rookie Drew Coleman at CB, Pennington at QB and Barlow at RB.

I was more impressed by the 43" vert and 11'6" broad jump, that's crazy explosive. To me, this means we have someone who can try to fill Trufant's shoes and hopefully earn some snaps on defense in certain packages. I don't know anything about him other than what's mentioned, but those are some impressive numbers, added to his playing time at a decent school and this is someone who could legitimately make the 53.  

The Jets still need a new No. 1 cornerback, but on Friday they signed a free agent corner to add depth: Jeremy Reeves, who played at Iowa State from 2009-12.

He sat out last season after undergoing pectoral surgery. Reeves, who is 5-7 and 170 pounds, participated in Iowa State’s pro day Tuesday. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.29 seconds, had a 43-inch vertical leap and broad jumped 11 feet, 6 inches, according to the Jets’ press release announcing his signing.

Reeves started 26 games in his college career. He had five interceptions and returned two for touchdowns, including one for a 91-yard score. He was not drafted last year.

So while Reeves isn’t going to step in and start at the spot vacated by Antonio Cromartie’s release, he does seem to bring some intriguing speed to the Jets.

The Jets still need a new No. 1 cornerback, but on Friday they signed a free agent corner to add depth: Jeremy Reeves, who played at Iowa State from 2009-12.

He sat out last season after undergoing pectoral surgery. Reeves, who is 5-7 and 170 pounds, participated in Iowa State’s pro day Tuesday. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.29 seconds, had a 43-inch vertical leap and broad jumped 11 feet, 6 inches, according to the Jets’ press release announcing his signing.

Reeves started 26 games in his college career. He had five interceptions and returned two for touchdowns, including one for a 91-yard score. He was not drafted last year.

So while Reeves isn’t going to step in and start at the spot vacated by Antonio Cromartie’s release, he does seem to bring some intriguing speed to the Jets.

It's a good thing you posted it again, it'll allow stoic another chance to complain about it ;)

Archived