Alterraun Verner to replace Cromartie?

NYJetsVets91

Apparently the Jets have already contacted Verner per Costello. See the update at the bottom of the article... Good move?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332024/article/report-vikings-ny-jets-contact-alterraun-verner

Free-agent cornerback Alterraun Verner is bound to make a killing in free agency.

After the Tennessee Titans decided not to apply the franchise tag on the 25-year-old cover man, at least one interested party is hovering.

ESPN.com's Ben Goessling reported that the Vikings"called to express interest" Saturday after teams were given permission to dial up free agents ahead of Tuesday's open-market launch.

There's a natural fit for Verner in Minnesota with the presence of defensive backs aide Jerry Gray, who coached the fifth-year corner in Tennessee during his run as the Titans' coordinator.

We expect Minnesota to face competition, but with upwards of $33 million in salary-cap space, the Vikingshave the room to pay Verner. He's a good bet to make close to $10 million annually after finishing as one of the top players at his position last season.

Few teams need secondary help more than Minnesota, a team that allowed a whopping 4,598 yards through the air last season, second worst in the NFL.

Verner's on the smaller side, but that didn't hinder his play in 2013, and he'd be a foundational piece of the puzzle for a Mike Zimmer-led team that needs an influx of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

UPDATE: Brian Costello of the New York Post reported Saturday that the New York Jets also haveshown interest in Verner. That makes sense for a Rex Ryan defense that could use help in the secondary. The Rams also inquired about Verner, Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corners become celebrities under Rex and get paaaaaid. Cromartie went to the Pro Bowl this year and was horrible. It's like playing RB for Mike Shanahan.

The crazy thing is, after Revis' demands of $16 million, reports of a corner wanting $9-$10 million per seems relatively modest.

The crazy thing is, after Revis' demands of $16 million, reports of a corner wanting $9-$10 million per seems relatively modest.

I believe Brent Grimes just got $8 mil. I don't think anyone is going to offer a CB $10 mil until Pat Peterson gets to FA.

I believe Brent Grimes just got $8 mil. I don't think anyone is going to offer a CB $10 mil until Pat Peterson gets to FA.

Yea, but Verner and Davis are 5-6 years younger than Grimes and PP is in the same draft class as Mo, so unless 'Zona does him a solid, he's not hitting FA for a long time.  I assume that $10 million is a max number that they could approach, I would imagine that $8-$9 million per with more guaranteed that Grimes is probably what we'll see them get.  

Yea, but Verner and Davis are 5-6 years younger than Grimes and PP is in the same draft class as Mo, so unless 'Zona does him a solid, he's not hitting FA for a long time. I assume that $10 million is a max number that they could approach, I would imagine that $8-$9 million per with more guaranteed that Grimes is probably what we'll see them get.

Yeah, if I were guessing, I'd imagine he'd get between $8 and $9 mil for four years. I think LaCanfora had it that GMs were saying Revis would get between $9 and $11 per on the open market right now.

Yea, but Verner and Davis are 5-6 years younger than Grimes and PP is in the same draft class as Mo, so unless 'Zona does him a solid, he's not hitting FA for a long time.  I assume that $10 million is a max number that they could approach, I would imagine that $8-$9 million per with more guaranteed that Grimes is probably what we'll see them get.  

shields signed a 4 year 39m contract with the packers. looks like the market will be about 10m per

Why not just make a deal for Revis? 

Bucs wouldn't trade him back to us. Too much public humiliation. Now if we were to offer a 1st and a 2nd, they'll jump all over it, in which case Jets would be on the short end of the stick.

Apparently the Jets have already contacted Verner per Costello. See the update at the bottom of the article... Good move?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332024/article/report-vikings-ny-jets-contact-alterraun-verner

Free-agent cornerback Alterraun Verner is bound to make a killing in free agency.

After the Tennessee Titans decided not to apply the franchise tag on the 25-year-old cover man, at least one interested party is hovering.

ESPN.com's Ben Goessling reported that the Vikings"called to express interest" Saturday after teams were given permission to dial up free agents ahead of Tuesday's open-market launch.

There's a natural fit for Verner in Minnesota with the presence of defensive backs aide Jerry Gray, who coached the fifth-year corner in Tennessee during his run as the Titans' coordinator.

We expect Minnesota to face competition, but with upwards of $33 million in salary-cap space, the Vikingshave the room to pay Verner. He's a good bet to make close to $10 million annually after finishing as one of the top players at his position last season.

Few teams need secondary help more than Minnesota, a team that allowed a whopping 4,598 yards through the air last season, second worst in the NFL.

Verner's on the smaller side, but that didn't hinder his play in 2013, and he'd be a foundational piece of the puzzle for a Mike Zimmer-led team that needs an influx of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

UPDATE: Brian Costello of the New York Post reported Saturday that the New York Jets also haveshown interest in Verner. That makes sense for a Rex Ryan defense that could use help in the secondary. The Rams also inquired about Verner, Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

It would be a mistake if you ask me. We'll get a damn good CB but we'll be sh_t out of luck at the safety position yet again. If we're going to spend top dollar then we need to get the best free agent this year which is Byrd. I say solidify our FS with byrd and at the same time put legit talent around Antonio Allen and allow him to flourish as a SS. Restructure Antonio Cromartie and pick up Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. If it was in fact a nagging hip injury then Cromartie should be having a bounce back season. You'll add to that Rodgers-Cromartie and if Milliner capitalizes on his last 3 games and the offseason we just locked up our entire secondary with 2 known cover corners, an up-and-coming CB in Milliner, a solid nickel in Wilson, arguably the best FS in the game in Byrd and a promising SS in Allen who can cover TE's with no help. Add that to our DL. Now if we can hit on a pass rusher in the 2nd round to add to Davis and Harris and the Jets will have the potential of a top 3 defense in the league. 

It would be a mistake if you ask me. We'll get a damn good CB but we'll be sh_t out of luck at the safety position yet again. If we're going to spend top dollar then we need to get the best free agent this year which is Byrd. I say solidify our FS with byrd and at the same time put legit talent around Antonio Allen and allow him to flourish as a SS. Restructure Antonio Cromartie and pick up Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. If it was in fact a nagging hip injury then Cromartie should be having a bounce back season. You'll add to that Rodgers-Cromartie and if Milliner capitalizes on his last 3 games and the offseason we just locked up our entire secondary with 2 known cover corners, an up-and-coming CB in Milliner, a solid nickel in Wilson, arguably the best FS in the game in Byrd and a promising SS in Allen who can cover TE's with no help. Add that to our DL. Now if we can hit on a pass rusher in the 2nd round to add to Davis and Harris and the Jets will have the potential of a top 3 defense in the league. 

talent wise, I would rather have talib then either cromartie/cromartie. way more of a cover corner than the cromarties, which is what rex is looking for. ultimately, it depends on the money. verner will command the top dollar at the position for 1 really good season. that's a huge risk,imo, for the dollars he will receive. if he can replicate last season for a few years, it looks like a good deal. if he cant, well you just overpaid big time. Rodgers-cromartie will probably cost the least amount, but to be honest, his game is very average. the jets cromartie has abilities for sure, but the questions remain if he can bounce back after, what I thought, was a horrible season for him. the jets will cut him and it will be interesting to see at what $$ amount the jets would consider taking him back. byrd is the best free agent available and arguably the best player at his position but will command top dollar. he seems the safest bet for the most bang for the buck, tho. least likely to fail out of all the defensive free agents .on the surface at least, it seems like a perfect match for the jets. jets have the money, the need, and the defensive scheme that would attract a player like byrd and byrd has the talent to shore up the back end of the defense

Sure why not sign Verner and Byrd and then welcome back Clyde Gates and Ben Obamanu as the starting WRs for 2014.

keep in mind, the jets don't have 12m in cap space. they have close to 50m. after the jets re-signs and draft picks, I would imagine the jets would still be in the neighborhood of 35m +. even if the jets spent close to 20m of defensive players, that still leaves 17m + to pick up a wide receiver or two, tight end, and a guard if they so choose

Great article about why Verner may not be the save-all most fans are accrediting him.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/68458420

That's the Verner issue: If his next employer asks him to line up on the left side, press his receivers and knife in to defend the run, they are almost certain to be disappointed. Teams with those expectations probably won't pursue Verner, though coach-to-scout-to-general-manager miscommunications happen all the time. (The 2011 Eagles were a good example.) Even if a coach's changes are minor, it could have a major impact on a player whose skillset is rather clearly defined.

Great article about why Verner may not be the save-all most fans are accrediting him.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/68458420

Good find. Besides one or two games, I didn't really seem him play much besides checking his numbers. If he's not the guy you want to put in press-man, Vontae could be the better play for us.  Either way, for all of Rex's faults, signing the wrong CB is the least of worries.  If they sign Verner, I would more than imagine Rex and DT are comfortable with his skill-set.  

ciminiverner_zps9102fe22.png

#journalism

Without any information leaking until someone officially signs, Cimini's now taking up Mehta's schtick.  "Rex is at Clemson pro-day, looks like they're trading up for Watkins. Maybe."   It's the "no offense insult" version of journalism.  I'll say whatever I want, but end it in maybe, so it's okay.

Without any information leaking until someone officially signs, Cimini's now taking up Mehta's schtick. "Rex is at Clemson pro-day, looks like they're trading up for Watkins. Maybe." It's the "no offense insult" version of journalism. I'll say whatever I want, but end it in maybe, so it's okay.

They must hate Idzik so much right now. Like a bunch of cats chasing a laser pointer.

Good find. Besides one or two games, I didn't really seem him play much besides checking his numbers. If he's not the guy you want to put in press-man, Vontae could be the better play for us.  Either way, for all of Rex's faults, signing the wrong CB is the least of worries.  If they sign Verner, I would more than imagine Rex and DT are comfortable with his skill-set.  

While I'm inclined to agree with the bolded, we have to remember that this CS was present during all of our previous secondary additions.  Kyle Wilson is excellent in the slot, but that wasn't our expectation of his dividends when we took him in the first.  The jury is still out on Milliner, but similar to Wilson, I'd imagine the coaching staff (and fans alike) were expecting the light to come on a lot sooner than week-14; he's a top-ten pick for Chrissakes. 

For the money, I'd be just as inclined to pursue Brandon Browner and re-sign Cromartie.  I imagine both could be had for the $3-4M range, which combined would still be less than the projected $10M+ Verner will command, and the savings could be allocated to the safety position.  

Browner is out for the first four weeks.  But after that we'd have an ideal press corner with pro-bowl credentials in Browner, a former pro-bowl caliber player with a questionable hip playing on the wrong side of 30, and an injury prone rookie who may or may not be ready to consistently contribute without riding the pine.  The way the injury bug took the league by storm last year, I'd feel a helluva lot more comfortable having options at CB than just a single FA addition whose skill-set doesn't embrace playing press-man, or playing the run.  

We could even have sub-packages for redzone defense, where we play Browner (6'4) and Cromartie (6'3) to play the fade routes that Milliner gets burned on. 

Archived