Alterraun Verner to replace Cromartie?

NYJetsVets91

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Giants are interested in free-agent cornerback Alterraun Verner. They checked into CB Sam Shield before he re-signed with the Packers.

It's not just a smokescreen or casual interest, either. The Giants are serious about trying to land a top free-agent cornerback, multiple sources with knowledge of the team's thinking told NJ.com.

Whether or not they are successful in attracting one of their top choices is a different story. Money will obviously be a key factor, but so will general manager Jerry Reese's ability to sell the Giants. There is a healthy market for the top available corners.

Verner, 25, spent the first four years of his career with the Tennessee Titans. He was rated the 12th-best corner last season by Pro Football Focus with a +9.5 grade.

At 5-foot-10, 187 pounds, Verner would help the Giants accomplish one of their two offseason goals on defense by getting younger. Big Blue is making a concerted effort to add youth and speed to a defense that finished ranked eighth in the NFL last season.

Verner likely isn’t the only cornerback on the Giants’ radar. Indianapolis’ Vontae Davis and New England’s Aqib Talib were also listed among the Top 20 available free agents by NFL.com. They fit a similar profile to Verner, although Talib comes with some character questions.

Davis, 25, is also a young and physical corner. The Giants are looking for an aggressive player to pair with Prince Amukamara in order to play more press-man coverage, Amukamara’s strength.

That the Giants are interested in a cornerback is not a surprise. Defensive backs Trumaine McBride, Terrell Thomas, Corey Webster and Aaron Ross are all free agents. The Giants need to add bodies in their secondary.

It is somewhat surprising, however, to see them aiming so high. This is considered a very deep free-agent cornerback class, and the Giants have a lot of holes to fill. They weren’t expected to allocate such a large chunk of their available money to the cornerback position.

The Tennessean's Jim Wyatt reported Saturday that Verner is being pursued by the Lions, Steelers, Giants, Rams, Vikings and Jets. The Pro Bowl cornerback is not going to come cheap.

talent wise, I would rather have talib then either cromartie/cromartie. way more of a cover corner than the cromarties, which is what rex is looking for. ultimately, it depends on the money. verner will command the top dollar at the position for 1 really good season. that's a huge risk,imo, for the dollars he will receive. if he can replicate last season for a few years, it looks like a good deal. if he cant, well you just overpaid big time. Rodgers-cromartie will probably cost the least amount, but to be honest, his game is very average. the jets cromartie has abilities for sure, but the questions remain if he can bounce back after, what I thought, was a horrible season for him. the jets will cut him and it will be interesting to see at what $$ amount the jets would consider taking him back. byrd is the best free agent available and arguably the best player at his position but will command top dollar. he seems the safest bet for the most bang for the buck, tho. least likely to fail out of all the defensive free agents .on the surface at least, it seems like a perfect match for the jets. jets have the money, the need, and the defensive scheme that would attract a player like byrd and byrd has the talent to shore up the back end of the defense

The Jets need to pay Byrd top dollar. I would not be satisfied with another CB but no playmaking safety. I prefer getting a solid CB and developing Milliner. If we get Talib then we should be cutting Cromartie but we will still need another CB then. Cromartie had a bad year, but he also had a bad hip. If his hip is fine then we need to restructure his contract. We will have him at a discount by doing so which will allow us to have a #1 CB, a #2 in Milliner another #2 CB/Nickel via FA and the top Safety. Talib could be expensive and even if not, he's missed almost 20 games the last 4 seasons. Thats more than a quarter of the season for the past 4 years. Cromartie even with his hip injury played every game last year and has missed just 1 game the past 4 years. Rodgers-Cromartie has missed only 4 games the past 4 years. Talib may be considered better, but Rodgers-Cromartie will be on the field more than Talib will just given what the past 4 years have indicated. 

The NY Daily News reports free agent CB Alterraun Verner "isn't planning any visits," and intends to sign with a team "shortly after the market opens" on Tuesday. It's possible he already has a deal in place with a team. The Redskins, Giants, Rams, Jets, and Vikings are among the clubs known to have interest in Verner. Verner had to love seeing the Packers give Sam Shields $39 million over four seasons on Saturday. Verner is younger than Shields, and a superior corner. Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

The fact that Cro was given his release w/o trying to get him @ a reduced rate is very intriguing. Add to that, Verner making ZERO visits has given me a boner. I hope it's one of those Viagara boners that lasts until Tues. and then I get the big "O" when he signs with the Jets!!

The fact that Cro was given his release w/o trying to get him @ a reduced rate is very intriguing. Add to the Verner making ZERO visits has given me a boner. I hope it's one of those Viagara boners that lasts until Tues. and then I get the big "O" when he signs with the Jets!!

I'm no doctor, but I can't imagine a 48 hour hard-on is really a good thing.

Opinion: Are the Jets serious about giving Aterraun Verner a big payday? It sure seems like it

March 9th, 2014 4:44 pm

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/opinion-are-the-jets-serious-about-giving-aterraun-verner-a-big-payday-it-sure-seems-like-it/

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com

In a little more than 24 hours, Titans cornerback Alterraun Verner has had interest from the Jets, Giants, Redskins, Vikings as well as some cursory interest from the Steelers and Lions.

In light of the news about the Jets cutting Antonio Cromartie Sunday afternoon, the circumstantial evidence on the Jets interest in Alterraun Verner might be building.

How so?

First, the team has made bolstering their cornerback depth a priority.  By getting Lankster and Walls to re-sign ahead of free agency, they locked down depth spots.  In addition, from what we hear, the team is working on re-signing cornerback Aaron Berry.

Berry was the cornerback who looked like he was on a fast track to win the slot cornerback spot during minicamps last year before blowing out his knee on the first day of training camp.  The team then placed Berry on the IR and made a glowing statement about his future with the Jets.  Now they are trying to bring him back to further bolster their depth.

Consider those signings the team’s efforts at mitigating risk at a key position.

Second, up until Sunday afternoon the Jets have not been connected in the media to a single safety in free agency.  Jairus Byrd? Nope.  TJ Ward? Nu uh.  Instead, the team contacted Verner (a guy who might earn the most lucrative deal in this year’s free agency) on Saturday before clearing cap room by cutting Antonio Cromartie in anticipation of what looks like might be a busy and cap intensive start of free agency on Tuesday.

Then there was this tweet from Ralph Vacchiano of the Daily News regarding Alterraun Verner.

https://twitter.com/RVacchianoNYDN/status/442711769190916096

Whatever happens with Verner, the one thing that seems most probable is that Verner seems set to go where the money leads him.  He’s not worried about the team culture or how spotless the facilities are and inspecting it with his white glove, he is looking to get paid and go to a team he thinks suits him.

It’s hard to know exactly what to think about all this, but Florio hinted on PFT in this post that he thinks the Jets and Verner is already a done deal.  In addition, Florio believes that the notion of bringing back Cromartie is the team’s extremely loose backup plan.

So what do we know?  We do know that Rex Ryan has never placed a high value on the safety position from a money standpoint.

Since arriving in New York, Rex Ryan has (1) ran Kerry Rhodes out of town, (2) started Eric Smith extensively at the position and (3) went into the 2013 season with no real coverage safety.  While LaRon Landry was a godsend the year Revis was injured, the only real emphasis Ryan ever placed on the spot was when the team signed Jim Leonhard to an overinflated deal in an effort to import his system from Baltimore in 2009.

It has always been about cornerbacks for Rex Ryan and his GMs and as best we can tell, might be again in 2014.

What remains to be seen is, are the Jets the kind of team that are willing to spend top dollar for a free agent cornerback?  If the Jets were about to plunge into the safety pool, then I might be concerned about overspending at the cornerback spot and safety.  But with no revelations of any substantial interest between the Jets and players like Jairus Byrd or TJ Ward … it seems more likely that the Jets could save the big-spending team for a guy like Verner, especially now that they have cleared with one chop what could amount to more than ninety percent Verner’s first year salary.

The ramifications of the release and apparent moving on from Cromartie haven’t really been processed yet.  But one thing that we fully expect that many in the media will pick up in the coming days and weeks ahead if the Jets were to sign a youngster like Verner or a competent if not marginally rudderless veteran like Aqib Talib … what about the leadership in the secondary?  It’s a trope that is picked up each and every year by the media and one which would have serious claim this time around.

That’s where Ed Reed enters the picture.

Bringing Ed Reed back for another season solves many problems.  The Jets will likely be able to lure back a future Hall of Famer with strong ties to Rex Ryan.  Reed was a player that many of the younger guys in the Jets organization were enraptured with during the second half of the 2013 season and sought to learn from as much as possible.  Reed would represent a small investment financially for the Jets, likely on either a veteran minimum deal or for scarcely more.

For almost nothing financially, the Jets would retain a commanding veteran leader in the defensive backfield meeting room while increasing their depth and getting much younger and preferred secondary position.

The Jets might be playing it cool publicly, but I would not be the least bit surprised to see Idzik and Ryan swing for the fences with Verner.

What's the deal with this dude Alex who runs the Jets' facebook page: was he the poster on here who also used to pretend to have  "sources" and then ends up dead wrong on half his predictions? Not that I take that group seriously as 99% of the posts are laughable, but I was curious to see if any of these rumors had merit. 

What's the deal with this dude Alex who runs the Jets' facebook page: was he the poster on here who also used to pretend to have "sources" and then ends up dead wrong on half his predictions? Not that I take that group seriously as 99% of the posts are laughable, but I was curious to see if any of these rumors had merit.

Alex Kline? He's a super-fan. His sources are usually tweets.

With all the teams showing interest in Verner I'd say come Tuesday it becomes a bidding war... If his agent is smart enough that is. In which case, I'd stay away from paying upwards of 10mil; 10 mil is already spending .5 mil more than we saved from cutting Cromartie.

With all the teams showing interest in Verner I'd say come Tuesday it becomes a bidding war... If his agent is smart enough that is. In which case, I'd stay away from paying upwards of 10mil; 10 mil is already spending .5 mil more than we saved from cutting Cromartie.

If Idzik has a deal with Venner I hope it isn't a crazy one.

Alex Kline? He's a super-fan. His sources are usually tweets.

Yea. Seems like a decent enough dude and I know he has to keep the page going, but those posts are as if it's a perpetual stream of consciousness. That group as a whole makes me understand why people despise Jets' fans and football fans in general, I mean jeeeesus. 

I mean, it's almost comically absurd. His posts: 

- Breaking News** The New York Jets and CB Alterraun Verner have a mutual agreement on a 5 year deal. 2 hours ago
- Hold the presses  Source; No deal. Not even close. Verner's agent is talking with multiple teams.  50 minutes ago
- Breaking. Verner deciding between Jets, Giants, Skins. Fingers crossed.  32 minutes ago

That's not a math tip that's a math fact.  Remember Revis was the #1 CB in the NFL at the time.

That's debatable, given that he was coming off of a season-ending injury at the time, which he still wasn't recovered from.  He was also 4 years removed from the season which he still wanted to be paid based upon.  Revis was a great player no doubt, but all of that certainly gives some explanation as to why the Jets might not have felt him to be worth 60% more than the other top players at his position.

Besides, even if the Jets now thought that not paying Revis $16 million / year was a mistake, I don't see why they would let that impact their future decisions.

I mean, it's almost comically absurd. His posts:

- Breaking News** The New York Jets and CB Alterraun Verner have a mutual agreement on a 5 year deal. 2 hours ago

- Hold the presses Source; No deal. Not even close. Verner's agent is talking with multiple teams. 50 minutes ago

- Breaking. Verner deciding between Jets, Giants, Skins. Fingers crossed. 32 minutes ago

FACT: being around a group of Jets fans is like being surrounded by 40 Andy Dicks on ecstasy benders.

Archived